Behaviour

xkkpafi

พฤติกรรม or พฤติการณ์

I am looking for clarification, and possible a sample sentence, of the use of these two words as every dictionary returns identical translations for these words, ie, "behavior; conduct". I can't really see the difference in use. I am sure there is a difference. Thanks

พฤติกรรม:

การกระทำหรืออาการที่แสดงออกทางกล้ามเนื้อ ความคิด และความรู้สึก เพื่อตอบสนองสิ่งเร้า
Sample: คนใกล้ชิดของหมอเปรม 2 คน เป็นผู้ที่มีพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย
พฤติการณ์:
สิ่งที่คนๆ หนึ่งทำไป
Sample: ตำรวจใช้เวลาติดตามเฝ้าดูพฤติการณ์ของผู้ต้องหารายนี้อยู่นาน จึงมั่นใจว่าเป็นฆาตกรตัวจร

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Oxx, for the sentence: " คนใกล้ชิดของหมอเปรม 2 คน เป็นผู้ที่มีพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย ".

I guess this sentence could be rendered as:

1. Two people close to Dr. Prem have demonstrated suspicious behavior.

2. Two persons close to Dr. Prem are persons who have behaved suspiciously.
3.  (other alternatives)

Two interesting points. a. I was surprised by the use of ของ in the subject of the sentence. I had expected, "คนใกล้ชิดหมอเปรม..." that is คน (persons) / ใกล้ชิด (who are close to) / หมอเปรม (Dr. Prem. As written the sentence says: คนใกล้ชิด (persons close to) / ของ (of) / หมอเปรม (Dr. Prem).  That bit of syntax is very helpful and I found it replicated in several other newspaper articles.

b. I was also surprised by the syntax, " . . . เป็นผู้ที่มีพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย " rather than what seems to be more straightforward ". . . แสดงพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย" .  I wonder whether the different syntaxes imply different meanings.  

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
พฤติกรรม:
การกระทำหรืออาการที่แสดงออกทางกล้ามเนื้อ ความคิด และความรู้สึก เพื่อตอบสนองสิ่งเร้าSample: คนใกล้ชิดของหมอเปรม 2 คน เป็นผู้ที่มีพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย พฤติการณ์:สิ่งที่คนๆ หนึ่งทำไปSample: ตำรวจใช้เวลาติดตามเฝ้าดูพฤติการณ์ของผู้ต้องหารายนี้อยู่นาน จึงมั่นใจว่าเป็นฆาตกรตัวจร Both from http://thai-notes.com/dictionaries/predictionary.shtml

Have I found someone who like me is interested in the meaning of words?
Finding an 'official' English word is useful for slotting into an English sentence if you can think one up based on that word but doesn't get to the meaning of the Thai.
I don't know where you got the definition for พฤติการณ์ but I don't think that it is correct; where a noun is repeated ส่ิงที่คนคนหนึ่งทำไป can not use ๆ .

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

23 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I don't know where you got the definition for พฤติการณ์ but I don't think that it is correct; where a noun is repeated ส่ิงที่คนคนหนึ่งทำไป can not use ๆ .

The definition came from the link I gave.  The dictionary uses the LEXiTRON (version 2) data from NECTEC.  LEXiTRON 3 has the same definition.

I"m not sure why you suggest you can't use คนๆ.  My only gripe with this is that there should be a space before ไม้ยมก.  Similar expressions such as  เด็ก ๆ and เพื่อน ๆ are very common.  Even the Royal Institute Dictionary includes คน ๆ (with space) in its definitions for กินแพ้ ๑เยื้อง and เรียง.

No space to continue on iPad so I do so here.
I see คน ๆ , in the definition given in longdo dict. so I rushed to find backup for my assertion.
I have only one grammar book here in UK: หลักษภาษาไทย ตามหลักสูตรแกนกลางการศึกษาชั้นพื้นฐาน
1.3. การซ้ำคำ คือ การนำคำมูลมาซ้ำคำกันเพื่อให้เกิดความหมายที่ใกล้เคียงความหมายเดิมหรือเกิดความหมายใหม่ เมื่อซ้ำแล้วสามารถใช้ไม้ยมกเขียนแทนคำซ้ำนั้นได้ ดังนั้นคำที่มีรูปเหมือนกันเช่น นานา จะจะ จึงเป็นคำมูลไม่ใช่คำซ้ำ
* ส่วนคำที่ทำหน้าทีต่างกันในประโยค ก็ไม่ใช่คำซ้ำ เช่น
สถานที่ที่ฉันชอบมากที่สุดคือส่วนสาธรนา ที่ที่ ไม่ใช่คำซ้ำ
ของของใคร ทิ้งไว้เกะกะ ของของไม่ใช่คำซ้ำ
คนคนนี้ไม่น่าคบเลย คนคนไม่ใช่คำซ้ำ *
Apologies if you are not interested, many Thais don't study Thai so it is not unreasonable to think that to do so may actually hinder communication. Also many Thai words are shifting in meaning to suit their English equivalent, พฤติ กรรม/การณ์ has probably done that in many people's lexicon.

David's reply shows that perhaps it is wrong back-translate into Thai.
ใกล้ชิด being a mixture of adjective and verb seems mostly adjective to me so modifies คน, it says nothing about Dr. Prem, คนของหมอเปรม is how I see it.
แสดง remember is implicit in the both พฤติกรรม and behaviour, but that doesn't stop "shows behaviour" so has Thai not caught up yet?

The question is, since this example is of spoken everyday Thai, and the RID has not provided an example, perhaps the English word is all a Thai as to go on; but then again, if that is the case why do they not say คนใกล้ชิดหมอเปรมเป็นผู้แสดงพฤติกรรมน่าสงสัย ?

FWIW, here are the RID (2011) definitions of both terms:

พฤติกรรม    น. การกระทําหรืออาการที่แสดงออกทางกล้ามเนื้อ ความคิด และความรู้สึก เพื่อตอบสนองสิ่งเร้า.

พฤติการณ์    น. เหตุการณ์ที่เป็นมาหรือที่จะเป็นไป, ความเป็นไปในเวลา กระทำการ เช่น พฤติการณ์ของเขาแสดงว่ามีเมตตากรุณา พฤติการณ์ของเขาแสดงถึงความทารุณโหดร้าย.

Than you both for raising the distinction between พฤติการณ์ and พฤติกรรม. The  following is a very helpful explanation of the difference in usage, the first being normative, the second descriptive:

"เมื่อมองให้ลึกถึงรายละเอียด จะเห็นได้ว่า "พฤติกรรม" หมายถึงการกระทำของบุคคล สามารถใช้ในความหมายกลางๆ ไม่จำเป็นต้องระบุชัดเจนว่าใครเป็นผู้กระทำ หรือกระทำเมื่อใด เช่น การทิ้งขยะบนทางเท้าเป็นพฤติกรรมที่ควรหลีกเลี่ยง, พ่อแม่และครูอาจารย์ควรร่วมมือกันสร้างสรรค์พฤติกรรมตัวอย่างที่ดีให้กับวัยรุ่น เป็นต้น ส่วนคำว่า "พฤติการณ์" จะใช้กับสถานการณ์ หรือเหตุการณ์ใดเหตุการณ์หนึ่งที่เกิดขึ้นมาแล้วหรือกำลังจะเกิดขึ้น มักมีความเฉพาะเจาะจงในแง่ของตัวผู้กระทำ เวลา และสถานที่ เช่น ศาลพิจารณาจากพฤติการณ์แล้วเห็นว่าจำเลยมีเจตนาจะทำลายทรัพย์สินของโจทก์จริง จึงตัดสินให้เปรียบเทียบปรับจำเลยเป็นเงินห้าพันบาท เป็นต้นครับ"

http://www.nationejobs.com/citylife/content.php?ContentID=23

BTW, how would  you translate one of the sample sentences from this paragraph. Here are some alternatives. Any thoughts?

พ่อแม่และครูอาจารย์ควรร่วมมือกันสร้างสรรค์พฤติกรรมตัวอย่างที่ดีให้กับวัยรุ่น

1.  Parents and teachers should work together in an innovative manner to display exemplary behavior for teenagers [to follow].

2. Parents and teachers should behave as good examples for teenagers.

3. Parents and teachers together should develop good behaviors to serve as good examples for teenagers.

Now we have two topics running together, 1. The RID definitions and 2 a native speaker's interpretation. The meaning of these words is not necessarily the same in both cases in spite of the fact that the RID definition is quoted in 2.

2. tells us the meaning so the translations should be straightforward.
I suppose by ความหมายกล้าง ๆ he means imprecise, not specific to a person or time.
So I think that he means: การทิ้งขยะบนทางเท้าเป็นพฤติกรรมที่ควรลีกเลี่ยง
Throwing away rubbish where people walk is being described as พฤติกรรม I would say it means "behaviour" here.
พ่อแม่และครูอาจารย์ควรร่วมมือกันสร้างสรรค์พฤติกรรมตัวอย่างที่ดีให้กับวัยรุ่น
I think it means 'behaviour' again.
ศารพิจารณาากพฤติการณ์แล้วแล้วเห็นว่า .... behaviour.
RID : พฤติการณ์ของเขาแสดงว่ามีเมตตากรุณา His behaviour showed that he was kind.
พฤติการณ์ของเขาแสดงถึงความทารุณโหดร้าย I think that we must take พฤติการณ์ as ความเป็นไปในเวลากระทำการ the situation which occurred when doing something, what happened shows his cruelty. We may as well use 'behaviour' again.
I looked up ทารุณโหดร้าย

There are too many words chasing few meanings, just as there is in every language I suppose.
Behaviour- n. conduct,comportment,manner,manners,actions,doings,dealings,ways,action, reaction,response,functioning, operation, performance.
Of all those 'doings' is the only one I can understand. พฤติการณ์ของเขา 'his doings' .
Are we in danger of knowing more and more about less and less until we know everything about nothing?

As always my insistence on trying to understand the RID has 'rolled a boulder' over yet another thread,, one post from David and one from me closes everything down. That is why I gave up T.L.com.

There is something wrong, we all speak English and Thai is trying to the speak English so it should be easy for us to understand if we just replace the English words with Thai words. So why doesn't it work?
I will give you an example:
RID ตราบ สัน. (Conjunction) จนถึง เมื่อ เช่น ยังมีลมหายใจอยู่ตราบใด ก็ถือว่ายังมีชีวิดอยู่ตราบนั้น Still having breath 'whenever' it is considered there is life 'then'. eg. 'Whenever' there is breath 'then' it is considered there is life.

So we look up ตราบ in longdo and see that it means 'until' and an example where until (ตราบ) is slotted in between two sentences. English can do that: "I didn't know until you Told me." But "Until you told me I didn't know. "Is preferred.
The example is กระถางคบเพลินถูกจุดให้ลุกโซติช่วงและจะส่องสว่างไปuntilการแข็งขันสิ้นสุดลง probably refers to that great bowl of a torch at the Olympic games burning 'until' the games are over. Anyone found โซติ?
Works fine there but when they take ตราบใด which we already know from the RID and make one word of it with a similar meaning "as long as" we get:
As long as (ตราบใด)คุณพ่อเธอยังมีชีวิตอยู่เธอก็จะเป็นโสดอยู่ตราบนั้น 'As long as 'your dad is alive, you will remain single until that.

Does anyone see 'until that' as superfluous if the meaning of ตราบใด is 'as long as'?

If you refer again to the RID ตราบ is a time period เมื่อ but it doesn't replace เมื่อ in syntax.

I suppose that this doesn't remove the boulder does it?

Archived