How many times can you enter with a 30 exemption ?

Hi,

I am looking for clarification/confirmation regarding the 30 day exemption "visa" from the UK please. I have recently read on the Royal Thai Embassy London website that there is a rule of a total of no more than 90 days out of a 6 month (180 days) rolling period. I have also read from an official Thai police document that this rule was removed in 2008. So which one applies ?. Or maybe it's neither ?.

My situation is I was here for 29 days in Feb, 29 days in May, 29 days in July and looking to be back in Nov for a further 28 days.

Will a 30 day exemption be ok, or should I apply for a single entry tourist visa ?

The website is out of date as that regulation was cancelled in 2008.

All the time you are flying in, and have gaps between visits, it is highly unlikely you'd be denied entry. However, at some point you will likely be questioned at length about what you do in the country. Make sure you have at least 10K in cash and a return ticket. The worst case is likely a warning to get a visa next time. It would be a good idea to switch to using visas if you want to avoid the chance of questioning/denial.

• Like 1

As you are flying in you shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario is you get pulled aside and questioned about what you are doing in Thailand.

It's always a good idea to have 20000baht in any currency and you will also need a return flight within 30 days to squash any doubt immigration may have.

If planning on booking a 1 way ticket the airline will not allow you to board the plane without a return flight to any country in the world.

I know immigration only requests 10000baht per person but I always find it better to double their financial requirement.

Edited by Rayk
  • Like 1

Have never heard any account of B20K per person being any more "persuasive" than 10, and the return ticket rule to check in can vary by airline. I know I've been able to check-in without it, though I haven't done it too recently. I totally agree with the idea that it's a smple warning you're more likely to encounter than being questionned or flat denied (unless there's something else that highlights you to the IO, of course). The 90d in the last 180 rule is definitely deprecated, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear of the odd IO citing it to you by way of warning anyway.

Have never heard any account of B20K per person being any more "persuasive" than 10, and the return ticket rule to check in can vary by airline. I know I've been able to check-in without it, though I haven't done it too recently. I totally agree with the idea that it's a smple warning you're more likely to encounter than being questionned or flat denied (unless there's something else that highlights you to the IO, of course). The 90d in the last 180 rule is definitely deprecated, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear of the odd IO citing it to you by way of warning anyway.

Many thanks for the reply. I have for about 3 years now been coming 4 times a year on the 30 day exemption, and only staying for 28 or 29 days. Never extending or over staying. This year i have been here in Feb, May and now July to date. Up until this visit I have never had a problem. However on my current visit on Jul 16 I went to Siem Reap for 2 nights, with my Thai girlfriend, genuinely for sightseeing and not to do a visa run. Returning by land to Thailand at the boarder I was blocked re entry. The officer said "you come to Thailand many times", and "we are watching you".

He said, "I can send you back to Cambodia, my computer block you". After a polite conversation with him I explained the purpose of my/our visit to Siem Reap, and showed him my return flight ticket to the UK. He said "ok I believe you", "But next time you need a visa". Give me 200 baht for administration and I will let you go. Which he did, after stamping my card and passport for a further 30 days. (Which I will not need as returning on the 29th).

So, why in the light of the 90 in 180 days rule being cancelled, and never extending my 30 days exemption stamp or doing visa runs, or working, or over staying why am I being "watched". And what does this mean ?. With this in mind In my opinion I have not done anything wrong, or maybe someone can enlighten me please ?.

So where does this leave me with my next 28 day visit booked for November ?.

If planning on booking a 1 way ticket the airline will not allow you to board the plane without a return flight to any country in the world.

I'm planning on travelling this September on a 1 way ticket ... do you think I would have a problem ??

I've done this 2 or 3 times before without any problem .. just wondering has any laws changed in this area ?

I'm planning on travelling this September on a 1 way ticket ... do you think I would have a problem ??

I've done this 2 or 3 times before without any problem .. just wondering has any laws changed in this area ?

There are many threads on Thai Visa in regards to this question and contrary to what Gawker thinks as he himself says he hasn't done it in a very long time , which could mean any number of years.

If you are planning on coming to Thailand on a Visa exempt entry with only a 1 way ticket the airline WILL NOT allow you to board the plane as it becomes their responsibility to cover the cost of your return ticket should immigration request your return flight details and you do not have one.

It is not immigration that asks for this but the airlines covering their own asses.

When I was first planning on coming to Thailand I had also planned on getting a 1 way ticket and my travel agent informed me that it was not in my best interest as the airline would not allow me to board without a return ticket within 30 days.

When I arrived in Thailand and went through immigration I was asked for both my passport and return flight information.

Sometimes they don't ask, sometimes they do. It's totally up to the immigration officers discretion as to what questions to ask you.

Best to either get a tourist visa in which a return flight booking is not required or to buy a cheap throw away ticket out of Thailand to a neighboring country for between 1-2 baht.

Edited by Rayk

Many thanks for the reply. I have for about 3 years now been coming 4 times a year on the 30 day exemption, and only staying for 28 or 29 days. Never extending or over staying. This year i have been here in Feb, May and now July to date. Up until this visit I have never had a problem. However on my current visit on Jul 16 I went to Siem Reap for 2 nights, with my Thai girlfriend, genuinely for sightseeing and not to do a visa run. Returning by land to Thailand at the boarder I was blocked re entry. The officer said "you come to Thailand many times", and "we are watching you".

He said, "I can send you back to Cambodia, my computer block you". After a polite conversation with him I explained the purpose of my/our visit to Siem Reap, and showed him my return flight ticket to the UK. He said "ok I believe you", "But next time you need a visa". Give me 200 baht for administration and I will let you go. Which he did, after stamping my card and passport for a further 30 days. (Which I will not need as returning on the 29th).

So, why in the light of the 90 in 180 days rule being cancelled, and never extending my 30 days exemption stamp or doing visa runs, or working, or over staying why am I being "watched". And what does this mean ?. With this in mind In my opinion I have not done anything wrong, or maybe someone can enlighten me please ?.

"Give me 200 baht for administration and I will let you go." 'Says it all. Assuming this IO put nothing special in your pp when he stamped you in, and in Nov you fly back in at Suv., my guess us you will have no problems. But no one can give you ironclad assurances when it comes to what an IO might or might not do. I guess if it helps you sleep better you could get yourself a single-entry tourist visa for your return trip in Nov. It would at least "break up" the pattern of visa-exempt entries on future visits, though I'm sure most here would say that's really not necessary in your circumstances.

As you are flying in you shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario is you get pulled aside and questioned about what you are doing in Thailand.

It's always a good idea to have 20000baht in any currency and you will also need a return flight within 30 days to squash any doubt immigration may have.

I know immigration only requests 10000baht per person but I always find it better to double their financial requirement.

I have noticed this comment made by a number of members quite a few times. Yet when I came out here to retire in Sept 15, I bought one way tickets for myself and my Thai girlfriend who was with me. We flew with Thai Airways from Heathrow to Swampy and was never questioned about a one way ticket when it came to getting the tickets from the airline or when boarding. I know I booked online but you still have to see airline personnel when dropping off the bags and actually receiving the tickets. I am not sure if having my girlfriend with me made any difference or if I was just lucky.

Can anyone clarify where the ' no return ticket no boarding' rule exists? For example, if you fly into a country as many young backpackers do and are ' travelling' for 3 mths or so..these individuals fly to many countries in S E Asia and as such don't have a firm booking to return. How does that work?

I have noticed this comment made by a number of members quite a few times. Yet when I came out here to retire in Sept 15, I bought one way tickets for myself and my Thai girlfriend who was with me. We flew with Thai Airways from Heathrow to Swampy and was never questioned about a one way ticket when it came to getting the tickets from the airline or when boarding. I know I booked online but you still have to see airline personnel when dropping off the bags and actually receiving the tickets. I am not sure if having my girlfriend with me made any difference or if I was just lucky.

It is wrong for anyone to say the the airline "will not allow you to board". They might not. It is entirely up to the airline. The reason some airlines insist on an onward flight is because if the traveler is denied entry by Thai immigration the airline may be responsible for flying them back out.

• Like 1

Can anyone clarify where the ' no return ticket no boarding' rule exists? For example, if you fly into a country as many young backpackers do and are ' travelling' for 3 mths or so..these individuals fly to many countries in S E Asia and as such don't have a firm booking to return. How does that work?

There is no return ticket rule. The only requirement is a onward ticket.

But I guess you had a visa with you when you checked in at Airport. The one way ticket problem only can occur if you not have any visa and you want the 30 days exemt stamp

There is no rule. Some airlines will insist on an onward ticket if the person is entering Thailand without a visa. There is apparently a regulation somewhere that gives Thai immigration the power to deny entry if the person doesn't have an onward ticket. I've never seen this regulation, but if it where to be enforced the airline are responsible for flying the person out.

It is wrong for anyone to say the the airline "will not allow you to board". They might not. It is entirely up to the airline. The reason some airlines insist on an onward flight is because if the traveler is denied entry by Thai immigration the airline may be responsible for flying them back out.
Thailand has an onward ticket requirement for tourists which the airlines enforce, as it is they that get saddled with the costs of flying you back if you do not satisfy Thai immigration's onward ticket requirement.

Do you know of any airline that would want to take the chance of having the burden put on them to be resposible for flying the passenger back.

Like I said previously, when I first was planning on coming to Thailand on a Visa exempt my plan was for a one way ticket. The agent I was talking with told me that I would not be permitted to board the plane.

I thought to myself BS. So I took it upon myself to make some enquiries.

I'm sticking by my "will not" as I had asked this question directly to at least 20 different airlines in the past and not one of them would have allowed me to board a plane without an onward ticket using visa exempt but would have allowed if had a valid visa.

End result was a purchased an onward ticket.

This was back in 2012.

I can't have seen it getting any better since then.

If someone wants to risk it than that's their choice.

If you can come up with anything other than it's entirely up to the airline I will be happy to listen to it.

Edited by Rayk

"Give me 200 baht for administration and I will let you go." 'Says it all. Assuming this IO put nothing special in your pp when he stamped you in, and in Nov you fly back in at Suv., my guess us you will have no problems. But no one can give you ironclad assurances when it comes to what an IO might or might not do. I guess if it helps you sleep better you could get yourself a single-entry tourist visa for your return trip in Nov. It would at least "break up" the pattern of visa-exempt entries on future visits, though I'm sure most here would say that's really not necessary in your circumstances.

Many thanks. No nothing was added into my passport, only the updated departure card and the new entry stamp. However your suggestion of the single entry tourist visa for November sounds like a good idea. And I will do this for November at least.

All the best....Cheers.

Thailand has an onward ticket requirement for tourists which the airlines enforce, as it is they that get saddled with the costs of flying you back if you do not satisfy Thai immigration's onward ticket requirement.

Do you know of any airline that would want to take the chance of having the burden put on them to be resposible for flying the passenger back.

Like I said previously, when I first was planning on coming to Thailand on a Visa exempt my plan was for a one way ticket. The agent I was talking with told me that I would not be permitted to board the plane.

I'm sticking by my "will not" as I had asked this question directly to at least 20 different airlines in the past and not one of them would have allowed me to board a plane without an onward ticket using visa exempt but would have allowed if had a valid visa.

This was back in 2012.

If you can come up with anything other than it's entirely up to the airline I will be happy to listen to it.

Since when did this "onward ticket requirement" come in as a rule? For the last 6 years (except for 2016) I flew to Thailand 4-6 times a year, always on a visa excempt and without a return ticket. Most of the times with Thai, but also with Qatar, Emirates and Etiopian Airlines. Only once was I enquired about a return ticket (Emirates).

This was back in 2012.

Can you provide a link to the regulation/rule/law that states that "Thailand has an onward ticket requirement for tourists" and that entry can be denied without one? This is a genuine question as I have never seen it.

You can only say "will not" if every airline that brings tourists to Thailand denies boarding for everyone travelling without a visa. There are many reports from TV members that have travelled to Thailand without a visa and that don't an onward flight. I have only entered twice by air using visa exempt entry, both times without an onward flight, and had no problem boarding either time.

The advice given by the experienced TV members/moderators is that you might be denied boarding.

• Like 1

Since when did this "onward ticket requirement" come in as a rule? For the last 6 years (except for 2016) I flew to Thailand 4-6 times a year, always on a visa excempt and without a return ticket. Most of the times with Thai, but also with Qatar, Emirates and Etiopian Airlines. Only once was I enquired about a return ticket (Emirates).

I think it has been in effect for as long as visa exempt entries have been allowed.

I have been aware of it being a requirement since the 1990's. In 1998 when my contract ended in Algeria my employer bought me a one way ticket to Bangkok with a open onward ticket to Singapore since it was required then.

This was back in 2012.

Same question, but with a slight twist...I will be traveling return with turkish air to bkk but return ticket is 7 weeks after arrival as I plan to also travel overland to Cambodia...will they let me board, or not? I want to enter visa exempt. Thanks.

Same question, but with a slight twist...I will be traveling return with turkish air to bkk but return ticket is 7 weeks after arrival as I plan to also travel overland to Cambodia...will they let me board, or not? I want to enter visa exempt. Thanks.

Depends on the airline. It would probably be best to ask the airline you've booked with. If they do require an onward ticket you can buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand, to anywhere, dated within 30 days.

You could take a look at the small print clauses on your ticket. I was thinking of doing a similar thing, 59 days, no Visa, using Visa Expempt and 30 day extension. This is the relevent clause with the airline i used.

13.1 Travel Documents

13.1.1 You are responsible for acquiring all of the necessary travel documents and respecting all applicable laws, regulations, orders, directives and travel requirements of the countries in to which, from which and through which you are travelling.

13.1.2 Before the start of your journey you must submit all exit, entry, health and other documents, which are required by the country concerned by way of its laws, regulations, orders, demands or other requirements, and you must allow us to make and keep photocopies of these documents. We reserve the right to deny carriage to you if you do not meet these requirements or your travel documents do not appear to us to be in order.

13.2 Responsibility for fines, detention costs, etc

13.2.1 If we are required to pay a fine or to pay detention costs, or other expenditure on account of your failure to respect or abide by the laws, regulations, orders, directives or other travel requirements of the countries concerned, or your failure to produce the necessary documentation, you are obliged to reimburse us on demand any expenses incurred by us. We may use the value of the unused portion of your ticket or your property which is in our custody as part settlement of this payment.

13.2.2 If you are refused entry into a country, you are responsible for paying us for the cost of carrying you out of that country. The price payable for carriage to the place where entry was refused or denied will not be refunded by us.

My reading of this is that technically i could have been refused boarding as i could not possibly have the 30 day extension stamp in my passport at the time of boarding. I therefore purchased a ticket out of the country at 29 days.

However <removed> i was not required to demonstrate proof of an onward ticket at Heathrow check in and that was only 1 week ago.

Edited by ubonjoe
Off topic comment removed
  • Like 1

Can you provide a link to the regulation/rule/law that states that "Thailand has an onward ticket requirement for tourists" and that entry can be denied without one? This is a genuine question as I have never seen it.

You can only say "will not" if every airline that brings tourists to Thailand denies boarding for everyone travelling without a visa. There are many reports from TV members that have travelled to Thailand without a visa and that don't an onward flight. I have only entered twice by air using visa exempt entry, both times without an onward flight, and had no problem boarding either time.

The advice given by the experienced TV members/moderators is that you might be denied boarding.

As requested.

Notice the word 'require'.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/%3Fq%3Dnode/55&ved=0ahUKEwjI49S89JLOAhVJMY8KHTbfDvcQFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNFGhwnie-Zp8qCwMlg_EEfEx0resA

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

As requested.

Notice the word 'require'.

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/%3Fq%3Dnode/55&ved=0ahUKEwjI49S89JLOAhVJMY8KHTbfDvcQFggfMAI&usg=AFQjCNFGhwnie-Zp8qCwMlg_EEfEx0resA

I am aware of that website page, which also includes out of date (by 8 years) information, and doesn't answer my question.

I asked "Can you provide a link to the regulation/rule/law that states that "Thailand has an onward ticket requirement for tourists" and that entry can be denied without one?"

Someone can only be denied entry under section 12 of the immigration act, and not having an onward ticket is not specified as a reason. Section 12.10 refers to section 16 which gives power to the Minister to deny entry to a specific person/group (overstayers as an example). So in order for immigration to have the power to deny entry under section 12.10 a regulation/rule would need to be issued by the Ministry stating that someone without an onward ticket should be denied entry. I have never seen that regulation/rule. I assume, as it is clearly not enforced by immigration, that it has been revoked, is being selectively used, or doesn't exist.

I don't recall/know of anyone being formally denied entry for the reason of not having an onward ticket.

Airlines can be on the hook to fly out someone if denied entry under section 12. I think airlines that do insist on a ticket do so in case the person is denied entry for any reason under section 12. That way they can pass the problem on to another airline, or they already have the money from the passenger to go towards the flight out.

I think the requirement for an onward ticket is from the MFA and simply to demonstrate that the visitor for tourism intends to leave. IMO if an IO asked for an onward ticket I believe it is simply to help satisfy/assess that the visitor is as genuine tourist.

But back to your claim. You were saying that someone WILL be denied boarding without an onward ticket, which based on numerous reports is not true. All I am saying is that the correct advice is that you might be denied boarding.

Edited by elviajero

If i had no Visa and no ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, but for example i intended to travel overland after 30 days or get an extension i would be unhappy about being forced to buy an unnecessary ticket (even if it only costs £20), and of course it denies another person a seat on that plane. In my recent case i made different plans and i will use my ticket out of Thailand. However if that were not so i would be prepared in the following ways:

a) i would check the clauses of carriage and if the airline protect themselves against the re-patriation costs i would question them as to the reasons and legitimacy of them refusing me boarding.

b i would ask to sign a document stating that i would be responsible for paying any return fare if i was denied entry to the country.

c) as a last resort i would be ready with Internet access and would have prepared the cheapest flight out of Thailand.

If i was forced to resort to option c i would be reluctant to give that airline repeat business. Airlines must be aware that forcing purchase of an unnecessary ticket is unlikely to be popular and as their risks are low and they also have other means of covering themselves against additional costs this is, i suspect, the reason why many Posters here have not been challenged.

Edited by rogeroc