Group demands action against Somdet Chuang

webfact

Group demands action against Somdet Chuang

638_Benz-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of self-proclaimed defenders of Buddhism on Monday lodged a complaint with the Department of Special Investigation against Somdet Phra Maha Mangkalajarn in connection with the vintage Mercedes Benz car scandal.

Leader of the group of about 20 representatives, Mrs Somboon Puenthong, told the media that the group wanted the DSI to file charges against the senior monk, also the acting supreme patriarch, for giving false statement to authorities about the vintage luxury car.

She claimed that her group had closely followed up the scandal and thought that the monk, also known as Somdet Chuang, possessed the car with full knowledge that it was not properly taxed.

The car actually costs 4 million baht but was declared as costing only one million baht, said Mrs Somboon, adding that the senior monk should be held accountable for tax evasion in his capacity as the car owner.

Pol Maj Woranan Srilum, director of Special Cases Centre, promised to pass on the group’s complaint to the DSI chief for acknowledgement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/group-demands-action-somdet-chuang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-26

The car actually costs 4 million baht but was declared as costing only one million baht, said Mrs Somboon, adding that the senior monk should be held accountable for tax evasion in his capacity as the car owner.

Not that I'm supporting the monk, or the practicing of tax evasion but, I doubt that a single vehicle or land transaction in the country gets accurately reported for taxation purposes.

One of the reasons monks are supposed to eschew material possessions is so that they don't get embroiled in these kind of worldly matters. I must admit I am amazed how some of these guys have the gall to call themselves Buddhists, the Buddha must be turning in his Nirvana.

Yet another crooked monk, lying about the cost of a vintage car.

A monk owning a car, isn't that against the rules ?

I'm not sure anymore, I got confused when they started to carry smart phones.

What got me was last time I bought a new phone there was a monk next to me and he pulled out a wad of notes and bought one I couldn't afford.

Well, when did the monk acquire the car? A new purchase? Or acquired back in the 50's? Was it donated?

The current market value might be 4MB as a collectable vintage car, but it could have been 1MB or less back in the 50's. Plus depreciation would have the car at a miniscule amount.

If the car were donated it would not be valued as much by the tax department because they would not want to give such a large tax write off. Is there an exemption for vehicles used by religious organizations?

More info needed. The nosey people should be investigating the super car grey market and not this petty vintage one.

Edited by tomyummer

Well, when did the monk acquire the car? A new purchase? Or acquired back in the 50's? Was it donated?

The current market value might be 4MB as a collectable vintage car, but it could have been 1MB or less back in the 50's. Plus depreciation would have the car at a miniscule amount.

If the car were donated it would not be valued as much by the tax department because they would not want to give such a large tax write off. Is there an exemption for vehicles used by religious organizations?

More info needed. The nosey people should be investigating the super car grey market and not this petty vintage one.

you need to go back and read the histsory of this on going saga, you are making assumptions about a case you do not know anything about. Yes I know a burden to inform ones self

Yet another crooked monk, lying about the cost of a vintage car.

A monk owning a car, isn't that against the rules ?

But but, he's a special case like many of the corrupt lying "monks".