Dark clouds gather over Rio ahead of Olympics

webfact

Dark clouds gather over Rio ahead of Olympics

606x341_339587.jpg

RIO DE JANEIRO: -- With less than two weeks to go before the start of the Rio Olympics, there are a number of dark clouds gathered over the event that are showing little sign of clearing.

First up, there’s Russia. Despite the discovery of wide-spread doping among Russian athletes at previous Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has ruled that its up to individual sporting federations to decide whether or not Russian athletes can compete in their sports – but some are not convinced. Australia’s sports minister has said that any measures below what the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has recommended will damage the reputation of the Olympic movement.

Secondly, there is the accommodation.The Olympic Village is not as ready as it could be – with reports of unfinished facilities, electrical issues and plumbing problems. The Australian delegation has refused to even stay there.

Thirdly, there are concerns over security. Authorities are investigating threats after a Brazilian Islamist group pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group – which has claimed responsibility for several attacks in Europe in recent months. Double the amount of security personnel than at the London 2012 Games are being deployed in Rio.

Finally, beyond the logistics of holding a safe and successful Games, there are the dark clouds that go far beyond the Olympics. Brazil’s series of corruption scandals, its political crisis and a deep recession have left left some 50 percent of Brazilians opposed to the amount of money being spent on the Games, according to polls.

So, a lot has changed since 2009, when joy gripped Rio as it was named the host city for the 2016 Games. Now, the Olympics are almost here and that excitement appears to be long gone for many – as people take to the streets, not in celebration, but in protest.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-07-26

I used to be glued to the set for the olympics. I am not sure I watched any of the London Olympics - partly because of the atrocious coverage by the corrupt TV companies in Thailand, imagining they could put everything on for free like the World Cup. There is so much bad stuff going on behind the scenes it is just off-putting. I really think the Rio Olympics are heading for a train wreck, I hope I am wrong, either way I will read about it online as I am unlikely to watch. the fact that they are 10 hours or so behind isn't going to help. Good luck all the participants at Rio. It will be needed. Letting Russia off the hook when the doping crimes were so blatant is a bit of a kick in the pants for all the other athletes who remained clean.

The Olympics has just got far too big & cumbersome

How the hell can there be any justification for World Cup Football & the Olympics in Rio (a third world country) so close together.

The organizers are brain dead or stand to make a lot of money (the country won't)

The Olympic committee needs to bring back the Summer Olympics a manageable size.

Out with Tennis, Golf, Rugby 7,s , synchronized swimming, diving just to name a few

Sport, sport and more sport,,, i'm from Stralia (Australia)

you want to talk to me about sports,,,, it's on tv or live 24/7

and never stops, if it wasn't for the gambling it wouldn't

exist, people would be discussing politics instead.

post-141778-0-78302400-1469540912_thumb.

^ Yawn ...

Do you really think anybody gives a rats where you are from ?

I swear , Im so cheesed off with my countrymen going on and on about being from "Down Bloody Under" !

Im surprised you didnt get some Vegimite reference in .

Give it a rest and try to add something to the subject will you?

We are not any sort of novelty anymore , so stop sounding like all the other Aussie ( "AUSSIE , AUSSIE , AUSSIE , OY ) dropkicks on Forums who think that informing others of their nationality gives some sort of extra credibility over any given subject.

It just does the opposite ...

I totally agree zaZa9. I would have thought we have moved on somewhat since the days of Bazza Mackenzie and all that crap which was funny in a schoolboy way.

When I hear people yelling that boring old refrain 'Aussie , aussie . . ' etc it just turns me off very quickly.

And as for the Olympics. It is just about ratings for TV empires particularly the US ones, who pay so much (too much) money for the rights thereof then they have to get the money back somehow.

End it all.

I do agree with an above poster; the Olympics have become too encompassing. It's like Bangkok; trying to harbor everyone, and becoming messed up.

My favorite venue is track & field.

On the other hand, it's a chance for thousands of youngsters to gather together, compete, shine, form friendships (bucketfulls of condoms are available throughout the Olympic villages), ......and for the world to see a semblance of international unity.

On another level, the Olympics can serve as a reminder for schools to include more sports in their schedules. Currently, 95% of schooling is sitting in a hard chair facing the front of the room. In Thailand, schools are only required to have 1 hour of sports per week. Children aren't meant to be so limited. They're more adapted to being outside, exploring, using their bodies, interacting, frollicking, and engaging in challenging activities.

Not to mention they want a gajillion dollars for some crappy shack in some flavela. Then again they predict disaster all the time for the olympics and somehow it just squeaks by. Hopefully this time will be different and this farce can be ended. That is a ton of money that could have been put to something better.

^ Yawn ...

Do you really think anybody gives a rats where you are from ?

I swear , Im so cheesed off with my countrymen going on and on about being from "Down Bloody Under" !

Im surprised you didnt get some Vegimite reference in .

Give it a rest and try to add something to the subject will you?

We are not any sort of novelty anymore , so stop sounding like all the other Aussie ( "AUSSIE , AUSSIE , AUSSIE , OY ) dropkicks on Forums who think that informing others of their nationality gives some sort of extra credibility over any given subject.

It just does the opposite ...

Well you have just informed us of your nationality and I don't see where "down bloody under' has been mentioned apart from you. You are the only one that managed to get a vegemite reference in. Have you been reading the Trump methods of negative publicity?

I like it that Australia is giving us moral support by doing Auexit and the idea of Stralia sounds wonderful. Her Majesty will be most pleased, Queen of Stralia.