I am here on a long stay non Imm 'O-A' visa, I am confused after reading different reports on the forum. Do I have to do a border run every 90 days or do I just report to local Imm office.

Thx ur replies

If you're sure you have a non-imm O-A visa from an embassy or consulate, you were given a one year permission to stay when you entered the country. Anytime you remain in the country for 90 continuous days from your last entry or last report, you need to report to immigrations.

Until the visa expires you could exit and return to Thailand using the visa. If you do that, the 90 day count starts again when you re-enter Thailand.

If you exit and return to Thailand just before the visa expires (the expiration date shown on the visa you received from an embassy or consulate), you will get another full year's permission to stay, which will be shown on the stamp put in your passport when you re-enter. Your new permission to stay would then continue even though the visa has expired.

During the second year's permission to stay, you longer have a visa, so if you want to exit and return to Thailand you would need a re-entry permit. You would continue to report to immigration every 90 days that you remain in Thailand.

As you near the expiration date on the permission to stay you could apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. You would be extending your permission to stay, not the visa (the visa would have expired a year after it was issued). While here on an extension of stay you do not have a visa, so would also need to get a re-entry permit if you want to exit and return and you would also do 90 day reports.

• Like 1

If it was me I would check at an immigration office.Preferably the one I feel I need to use for 90 day reports if they told me that was the visa I had.. Go right to the source here you get how it should be not how it may play out.

I recently renewed my O-A for another year as O non immigrant visa. I am planning to leave country in August. Do I need reenrty permit? I have O visa with multiple entry From Chiang Mai immigration office.

I recently renewed my O-A for another year as O non immigrant visa. I am planning to leave country in August. Do I need reenrty permit? I have O visa with multiple entry From Chiang Mai immigration office.

I think if you look in your passport you will find that you have an extension of stay (it is not a visa) and a multiple re-entry permit stamps that immigration put in your passport.

If you have the above you don't need another re-entry permit.

If it was me I would check at an immigration office.Preferably the one I feel I need to use for 90 day reports if they told me that was the visa I had.. Go right to the source here you get how it should be not how it may play out.

All you have to do is look at the visa. It would be clear what type of visa it is and when it expires.

Going to an immigration office, showing them the visa in your passport and asking them what kind of visa it is, would probably garner you some strange looks. If he's here on a non-imm O-A, visa entry, the 90 day report requirement isn't really up for debate. In the country for 90 days or more, you need to report.

post-145917-0-82281500-1469534889_thumb.

• Like 1

I think if you look in your passport you will find that you have an extension of stay (it is not a visa) and a multiple re-entry permit stamps that immigration put in your passport.

If you have the above you don't need another re-entry permit.

Dear Datar,

If you initially had an O-A visa and went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office to "renew" it, is this what was stamped in your passport?

post-68373-0-95112200-1469541008_thumb.j

With a permission to stay for 12 months?

If so, did you also purchase a "re-entry permit"? That's a separate stamp and it looks like this:

post-68373-0-34001000-1469541087_thumb.j

It should have an expiration date that is the same date as your extension of stay.

If you don't have that "re-entry permit", then you should be sure to purchase one before you leave the country in August or else you will void your permission to stay have to start the entire retirement visa process over again. Not something you want to do in Chiang Mai.

A re-entry permit is very easy to get at Immigration Promenada office in Chiang Mai. 1000 baht for single re-entry and 3800 baht for multiple re-entry. Yes, people will tell you how you can buy a re-entry permit at the airport just before your trip, but I always have so much on my mind before an overseas trip that I prefer to take care of this detail and not leave it until the last minute.

• Like 1