Long transit at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

fertilizer

Have booked MH return BKK to Perth - all on one ticket. We will have a 10 hours transit in KLIA both ways which is ok to us.

Does anyone know if

• luggage will be checked in all the way to Perth at Suvarnabhumi
  • we will get boarding cards for KUL-PER at check in at BKK
  • I understand we are not allowed to stay in transit at KLIA as our transit stop exceeds 6 hours unless we use the Sama Sama Express hotel inside the departure terminal

Yes – I have tried to contact Malaysia Airlines (in BKK as well as KUL) but so far no replies on mails and no contact when I try to call them in Bangkok as well as Kuala Lumpur.

Any information most appreciated.

Don't know for sure about your luggage and boarding cards but on a single MH ticket you would normally expect it to be checked though and passes issued in BKK.

As for the transit in KUL how would they know? Arrivals and departures are not segregated. Mind you the terminal is not exactly Disneyland and with 10 hours to kill a lay down might well be welcome, although that transit hotel is not exactly value for money.

Bags probably checked all the way thru, check-in will confirm this. Go and have a look around central KL. The airport express train tales about 30 mins to the city centre. Station is in the basement. Lots of nice food and things to see when you get to the city. KLIA is a very boring airport, looks nice, modern but boring.

• luggage will be checked in all the way to Perth at Suvarnabhumi
  • we will get boarding cards for KUL-PER at check in at BKK
  • I understand we are not allowed to stay in transit at KLIA as our transit stop exceeds 6 hours unless we use the Sama Sama Express hotel inside the departure terminal

Luggage can be checked through yes to Perth but you must tell them at BKK you want it checked through wen you check in.

Probably not but go straight to the Transfer desk and they will issue you with the boarding pass. Tell them you have luggage that needs transferring from BKK. They should know about it but why take the chance?

I have never heard f thee time limit of staying in transit at KLIA but ask at the transfer desk they will know

If you have to overnight there and you don't mind going through Malaysian immigration in both directions and changing some money, hop on the KLIA express and go one stop to KLIA2, the low-cost terminal, and stay at the Tune Hotel next to it. Far cheaper than the Sama Sama. There's a good inexpensive food court close to it too.

http://tunehotels.com/my/en/our-hotels/klia2

Finally managed to get a reply direct from Malaysia Airlines.

Luggage will be booked through to Perth and we will get the boarding cards for KUL-PER when we check in at BKK.

Going out as well as back we arrive late in the evening and leave in the morning so the only activity will be “to sleep”.

Thanks for all replies!

Edited by fertilizer

Be careful falling asleep in that airport. I don't know if this is a frequent thing happening but I was twice surrounded by black men when trying to sleep in a quiet corner during a long transit in the dead of night. They were, very clearly up to no good. In the end I wound up spending my time trying to stay awake in a (very expensive) coffeecorner close to thge transfer desk.