You’ll be able to get a direct flight to the U.S. from Thailand next year

snoop1130

You’ll be able to get a direct flight to the U.S. from Thailand next year
By Coconuts Bangkok

post-249866-0-48562200-1469537142_thumb.

Photo: Mark Harris/Flickr

THAILAND:-- If you go to the U.S. regularly, you know how long the travel times can be. If you head to the East Coast, you can be looking at 24 hours of transit or more. To some of us, the only thing that makes it worse is a guaranteed two or more hour layover in Dubai, Seoul, Delhi or Tokyo.

As of next year, that should change. Thai Airways plans to re-introduce direct flights to the U.S.

Of course, they first have to wait for the International Civil Aviation Organisation to lift the U.S. ban on Thai airlines for safety problems. They may also want to wait until Thailand's Civil Aviation Department is upgraded from Category 2 to Category 1 on the US Federal Aviation Administration's list for the same safety concerns, according to The Nation.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/26/youll-be-able-get-direct-flight-us-thailand-next-year

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-26

I fail to see why this is considered to be news and why it should be any more profitable this time around?blink.png

Thai Airways suspends unprofitable U.S. flights

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/thai-airways-suspends-unprofitable-us-flights/

unprofitable hah!! - suspending flights was the easy way of not losing face, for being banned

Edited by tifino

Hopefully this is true. Getting to the USA these days is a bit of a nightmare.

How so? There are a multitude of options, most of which offer better prices and schedules than TG ever did.

J class on TG was a joke with its cabin that was 10 years out of date.

If you think the "direct" TG flights were somehow different or superior to the standard non-direct flights (flights that require a change of planes) offered by countless airlines then you are sadly mistaken. Now if they offered a non-stop from the US, well that might be newsworthy.

In the last six months, I've flown BKK-Boston twice and BKK-Wash. DC once, all on Emirates via Dubai and total time from departure to arrival was never more than 20 hours with no layover longer than 2hrs. 20 min. Qatar will also be adding flights to Boston and other East Coast cities this fall.

Flying West out of Bangkok to the US East Coast is much more efficient these days though the Cathay Pacific BKK-HKG-JFK is pretty good.

Previously, Thai was stuck with inefficient aircraft for the direct US flights and couldn't make money even when full once fuel prices doubled in the early 2000's. With the new Airbus A350-900 and Boeing 777-8, long haul routes could be profitable again.

I hope Thai goes for it. I'd love to see them return to their glory days.

....there isn't a word in Thai for "budget" nor for "nepotism."

You'll get 3-4 pages of describing thus....

DDDave right on target:

<<Flying West out of Bangkok to the US East Coast is much more efficient these days though the Cathay Pacific BKK-HKG-JFK is pretty good.>>

Yes, if one is in USA, it is a beast to get to either coast. Many have no clue how big USA is, just to START a flight.

Dallas-HKG via American is very good.

United would be better served if they ditched Narita as a hub. Fukushima anyone? They cannot fly the reactor cores because they are spread all over Tokyo.

Thai Air has an on-time and performance problemma. Yes, it would be great if Thai Air got serious and matched their fares to competitive flights.

first of all...it will probably only depart from Bangkok..o if you live in another part of the country there is the added plane ridr to get to Bkk first...then the flight will most likely only go to the west coast of the US..LA?...os if you live in NY..or anywhere else..it will involved another flight...If you live in BKK and going to LA..then it's fine...other than that you're still looking at 24 hrs with tranit times etc...Let me know when there will be a flight BKK-NY or Newark non stop like Singapore Air

With the price of jet fuel being what it is now and new more efficient planes coming into the fleet, it might work out better this time around. You really can't be considered a world class airline if you don't have any flights to the States. Bangkok to the West Coast makes sense and then passengers going further inland could connect on a domestic Star Alliance partner.

As for me, I'll stick with EVA to USA and Emirates to Europe.

As others have said, I think I'll stick with either China Airlines or EVA to the US. An hour in Taipei ain't bad, and the service on both of them is 100% better than anything I have ever experienced on Thai.

In the day, I took the 18 hour non stop to LAX, and apart from the awful service, the fact of being on an airplane that long isn't that pleasant. I rather like the stop, albeit quite short in Taipei

Just flew on JAL to Osaka to LA in business....used mileage. Had an 11 hour daytime layover in Osaka and went out on the town with a friend from Kyoto. Hanging out in the biz lounge was pretty comfortable etc. the flight from Osaka to LA was only 10 hours...very doable. And the whole lay down bed thing was really great and a good six hours sleep. Jet lag still lasted 7 to 10 days. Invent a pill that eliminates jet lag and you will be rich for life and can travel in first class.....though JAL doesn't have first class, only biz.

I've taken a couple of nonstop flights to Thailand...JAL still has them I believe, but the prices are a bit high..usually about 1000 USD more than flights with a layover...

Currently, there are not any non-stop regularly scheduled commercial flights between any of the 50 States and Thailand. JAL does not have one and the only airline that would even consider it would be Thai.

Just flew on JAL to Osaka to LA in business....used mileage. Had an 11 hour daytime layover in Osaka and went out on the town with a friend from Kyoto. Hanging out in the biz lounge was pretty comfortable etc. the flight from Osaka to LA was only 10 hours...very doable. And the whole lay down bed thing was really great and a good six hours sleep. Jet lag still lasted 7 to 10 days. Invent a pill that eliminates jet lag and you will be rich for life and can travel in first class.....though JAL doesn't have first class, only biz.

JAL definitely does have First Class...maybe just not on the plane used on the Osaka/LA route.

Currently, there are not any non-stop regularly scheduled commercial flights between any of the 50 States and Thailand. JAL does not have one and the only airline that would even consider it would be Thai.

Yes. TG, along with perhaps DL and UA are the only airlines which could currently offer direct, non-stop service between the U.S. and Thailand. UA probably won't add SFO-BKK because of their 'arrangement' with NH, and their focus on China.

UA just launched direct, non-stop service between SFO and SIN (787-8). SQ will launch similar service (A350) in the fall.

TG is said to be considering SEA and YVR. SEA was TG's first U.S. destination (via NRT), and they tagged on DFW later.

TG is still banned from flying to the U.S. so they'd need to clean that issue up.

Suspect this may just be a 'floater' of an idea?

Not worth it. You don't save much time going from LAX to Taipei to BKK versus the old LAX to BKK. 13 hours on the plane from LAX to Taipei is enough and time for a leg stretch. Looks like the route won't include LAX but the idea is the same. And Thai airways was pricier than other options. Frankly I am more than happy with the Premium Elite seats on EVA.

I fail to see why this is considered to be news and why it should be any more profitable this time around?blink.png

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/thai-airways-suspends-unprofitable-us-flights/

unprofitable hah!! - suspending flights was the easy way of not losing face, for being banned

I believe the point was that this isn't the first time you've been able to fly direct, as the headline seems to imply.

I seem to recall some years ago Thai had a Bangkok-New York non-stop....

I usually fly Eva. BKK-TPE, a couple hours layover then TPE-SEA. Leaves Bangkok at decent hour, arrives Seattle at decent hour. Return is 2 am from Seattle, but gets to BKK around 11 am. Not a soul crusher.... and good service.

I'd love to see SEA or YVR. SEA has benefit over SFO in that you stay inside the sterile area for your next flight. In SFO, you have to switch terminals and go through the full TSA rigamarole again. In YVR, (Just went through a few days ago from HKG), you do have a minor security line, but bags are checked through to final destination and US Customs in YVR just calls up pics of your bags. :-) Again better than SFO and certainly better than LAX. Plus YVR is generally a pleasant airport.. clean, uncrowded, etc.

If you think the "direct" TG flights were somehow different or superior to the standard non-direct flights (flights that require a change of planes) offered by countless airlines then you are sadly mistaken. Now if they offered a non-stop from the US, well that might be newsworthy.

They will be non-stop flights utilizing the 787-900's scheduled for delivery early next year.

Thai Airways is not banned in the US, has never been banned and is in no danger of being banned.