You’ll be able to get a direct flight to the U.S. from Thailand next year

snoop1130

When Thai and Singapore were doing non-stops to the USA about a decade ago, they stripped-out allot of the seats from the aircraft used (I believe new 777ER's (25% or more) and it was almost like these were business class only express routes. When fuel prices went through the roof and became big loss leaders, these showcase routes we cancelled. I don't have information on the load factors for these past flights but it must have been even the business-class flyers weren't willing to pay the premium demanded for these nominally shorter flights. It remains to be seen if it will be different this time around.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I fail to see why this is considered to be news and why it should be any more profitable this time around?blink.png

Thai Airways suspends unprofitable U.S. flights

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/travel/thai-airways-suspends-unprofitable-us-flights/

Well, if you fly a different aircraft type to a different destination then wouldn't that be different?

The cancelled LAX route used 777's with a stop in Seoul. The proposed route will be to either Seattle or San Francisco or possibly both, non-stop and use fuel efficient 787's.

When Thai and Singapore were doing non-stops to the USA about a decade ago, they stripped-out allot of the seats (25% or more) and it was almost like these were business class only express routes. When fuel prices went through the roof and became big loss leaders, these showcase routes we cancelled. I don't have information on the load factors for these past flights but it must have been even the business-class flyers weren't willing to pay the premium demanded for these nominally shorter flights. It remains to be seen if it will be different this time around.

That's true. After the fuel price spikes, apparently it was an unprofitable route for TG even with a full aircraft. Singapore Airlines revamped their aircraft on that route to an all business class service (no economy seats at all) and still lost money.

But both were flying 4-engined A340's which after the fuel hikes became lemons. Not only TG and SQ got burned. CX and many others too.

I've taken a couple of nonstop flights to Thailand...JAL still has them I believe, but the prices are a bit high..usually about 1000 USD more than flights with a layover...

Currently, there are not any non-stop regularly scheduled commercial flights between any of the 50 States and Thailand. JAL does not have one and the only airline that would even consider it would be Thai.

Thanks for correcting me...I've been thinking that as I get older, the thought of a long layover seems draining...I'll keep my eyes out for new flights...the couple of times I did fly direct was from San Francisco...so maybe it was United or some airline that has dwindled or faded away...

I've taken a couple of nonstop flights to Thailand...JAL still has them I believe, but the prices are a bit high..usually about 1000 USD more than flights with a layover...

Currently, there are not any non-stop regularly scheduled commercial flights between any of the 50 States and Thailand. JAL does not have one and the only airline that would even consider it would be Thai.

Thanks for correcting me...I've been thinking that as I get older, the thought of a long layover seems draining...I'll keep my eyes out for new flights...the couple of times I did fly direct was from San Francisco...so maybe it was United or some airline that has dwindled or faded away...

It's possible United or the old Northwest may have had a non-stop flight from SFO sometime in the distant past but there haven't been any that I know of more recently since Thai cancelled their LA and NYC (I think they also had a NYC flight) flights five years ago or so. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do and how well the take-up is on any new non-stop flights.