Top businessman warns Thais not to chase away Chinese tourists

snoop1130

Top businessman warns Thais not to chase away Chinese tourists

post-249866-0-64092800-1469538473_thumb.

Charoen Pokphand vice chairman and CEO Thanakorn Seriburi warned Thai people not to chase away or boycott Chinese tourists because of the misbehavior of some of the tourists.

Delivering a speech, entitled “Tales of the Land of the Dragon” at a seminar held Tuesday by the Foreign Trade Department at the Centara Grand Central Plaza Hotel, Mr Thanakorn cited the recent wave of criticisms in the social media against the alleged misconduct of some Chinese tourists, resulting in widespread dissent and misperception among Thais of Chinese tourists in general.

The prominent experience with a long working experience in China pointed out that the number of Chinese tourists who misbehaved and caused troubles at several tourist destinations were just a minority while most Chinese tourists.

“Do not miss out the opportunity. More Chinese will travel abroad and if Chinese tourists avoid coming to Thailand and visiting other countries instead, Thailand will lose heavily,” said Mr Thanakorn.

He predicted that as many as 10 million Chinese tourists would visit Thailand this year – up from seven million last year. “Out of a population 1.3 billion, 65 million of them have passports and many of them are yet to travel overseas. Just imagine if they all come out of China and many of the head for Thailand, we won’t be able to accept them,” he said.

Earlier last week, some Chinese press repeated the publication of cartoons with a plea for Thai people not to reject or look down upon Chinese tourists in general because of the alleged misbehavior of a minority of tourists.

Some hotels in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have reportedly felt the heat of suspected boycott by some Chinese tour agencies due to the negative criticisms against Chinese tourists in the social media.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/top-businessman-warns-thais-not-chase-away-chinese-tourists/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-26

Of course he is correct that it is only a minority of tourists that display bad manners. However he has skilfully collated two issues. The hotels are boycotting Chinese tourists due to the ruthless and cheating practices of Chinese tour companies. Classic Tony Blair trick.

Took an international flight from Don Muang on Monday. Chinese from a tour tried to cut in front of me in baggage x-ray line, again in the check-in line, and again in carry-on x-ray line.

Did they try to take your seat also?

No, I was flying to Yangon and the tour group was flying back to China.

The Thai tourism industry does a pretty good job itself of discouraging Chinese tourists. Killing them on the water and on the roads with crazy behaviour of speedboat and bus drivers doesn't help the cause.

Took an international flight from Don Muang on Monday. Chinese from a tour tried to cut in front of me in baggage x-ray line, again in the check-in line, and again in carry-on x-ray line.

They do it everywhere, and wait for the gate to open, patiently, and as soon as the people appear at the desk, Shanghai pushes its way to the front, they did it to me in Amman 3 weeks ago, they were dozens of them from a Dead Sea tour all pushing their way to the front to the dismay of the other expats waiting in line....that's when I told them all to them all to "F-Off" in Chinese!! That sort of made them stop, and hover away.

10 years from now, those musings of today will be purely academic. S/E Asia will be divided up in Colonies/Protectorates of the Chinese. They will achieve this without firing a single shot.

Note: Cambodia has already succumbed to the Chinese "Power-Play".

Cheers.

They do it everywhere, and wait for the gate to open, patiently, and as soon as the people appear at the desk, Shanghai pushes its way to the front, they did it to me in Amman 3 weeks ago, they were dozens of them from a Dead Sea tour all pushing their way to the front to the dismay of the other expats waiting in line....that's when I told them all to them all to "F-Off" in Chinese!! That sort of made them stop, and hover away.

How to say FO in Chinese? might come in handy I think

Guin Kai !! :D

Fixed "The prominent experience with a long working experience in China pointed out that the number of Chinese tourists who misbehaved and caused troubles at several tourist destinations were just a MAJORITY while most Chinese tourists."

What do you expect, most of them come with subsidised underpriced grouptours, they're not used to interact with people. The minority, like my boss, is wealthy Chinese that has super-awesome-manners and spends 1mill baht or more per day during their holidays.

I hope Thai people will learn to focus on that minority rather than the majority that pollute and poison their wonderful country. Easy fix: require elite-visa for all Chinese, will get rid of all the noice and selfies in the middle of superhighways and will bring a load of cash ;)

Edited by KheeeeMotocyyyy

Sooner or later the tour companies in China will steer its hoards towards other newer countries to overwhelm, so its not going to be a case of chasing them away, as oneday they will not be coming anymore.

Sooner or later the tour companies in China will steer its hoards towards other newer countries to overwhelm, so its not going to be a case of chasing them away, as oneday they will not be coming anymore.

Hope so, right now they (the cheap tours) are subsidized mainly by the Thai government, there appears to be a race among the Asean countries "Who can get the most broke Chinese tourists in volume", so far Thailand is winning but i'm not sure its such a good thing. Does Thailand need more tourists, it doesn't seem to, they got rid of western "long-term-backpackers" only to be replaced by Chinese "all-inclusive-tours", seems like a terrible replacement.

From what I've seen of Chinese Tourists in and around Chiang Mai, I have a suggestion for that Nice Bossman in Beijing.

Instead of a One Child or now, a Two Child Policy, how about introducing a "NO CHILD" Policy, till the current Breeding Stock, is PAST its

Breeding Cycle?

China and THE WORLD would be better off !

Not only the minority of Chinese misbehave but so do American and Irish giving blow jobs in public as well as British eating out bar girls in public and the list goes on and on and on.

Not in 'public' but publicly in places dedicated to this, which is not the same thing.

And they dont harm or interfere with other people , unlike Chinese.

Guin Kai !! biggrin.png

Won't work with the hordes of Cantonese unless they'e Mandarin speakers, try Jau Lan Hoi, the Lan bit is the foul part.

TAT is specialized to invite just the "rich Chinese", same technique used in inviting just the rich Germans. That should alleviate the "problem" somewhat. In short, this country just wants the money but do not want to do the work or deal with the headache that comes with it.

I'd like to get in to their business. Don't do didley jack and just let the profit roll in.

The Thai tourism industry does a pretty good job itself of discouraging Chinese tourists. Killing them on the water and on the roads with crazy behaviour of speedboat and bus drivers doesn't help the cause.

Actually, nothing stops the rising influx of Chinese tourists........their numbers coming to Thailand keep rising no matter, it seems, how many incidents there are.

...small-minded racism...hatred...resentment.......

...hard to change those that are unwilling.....incapable ......

..especially when they are getting too much revenue from too many sources.....regardless...

...and no consequences to their own misconduct.....

Edited by SOTIRIOS

CP has extremely close relations with China and the Chinese Government. If you do a search you can read about how they lobbied the US government to ease trade restrictions etc with China way back in the 90's. You can be sure there are no altruistic motives here.

Hope so, right now they (the cheap tours) are subsidized mainly by the Thai government, there appears to be a race among the Asean countries "Who can get the most broke Chinese tourists in volume", so far Thailand is winning but i'm not sure its such a good thing. Does Thailand need more tourists, it doesn't seem to, they got rid of western "long-term-backpackers" only to be replaced by Chinese "all-inclusive-tours", seems like a terrible replacement.

any source to back up that these tours are subsidized by the government?