Best 4 door truck for under B800, 000.

6 hours ago, pistachios said:

While the Ranger is clearly the best in class in its 3.2 wildtrack version, the 2.2 XLT is poorly equipped and its engine is one of the worst of the market and as a bonus you get Ford legendary after sale service.

With a 800k budget the triton is a far better choice.

The 3.2 is also by far the most thirty in its class. I've got a friend with a 2.2 and he seems to like it but not for me for the reason you mentioned (after sale service issues). The Triton seems like damn good value though I'd most likely go with the Toyota for the resale value, aftermarket parts availability and higher number of dealerships.   

We looked at the Toyota but for our budget you really only get a basic model. The Triton is comparatively luxurious.

We also looked at chevrolet but they weren't cheaper.  Also our sales lady refused to give any discount.  In addition to this the showroom was empty of other customers and they didn't use the air conditioning. 

3 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

its manual. autos are not popular in thailand. i am in burri ram but do trips to pattaya for R and R. it is a top truck with 49000km on the clock.  hate to think how much buying the same one in nz will cost me.

Autos aren't popular? Could have fooled me.

Had several Ford Rangers back in the world. Must have been great trucks, or I wouldn't have had more than one. That said, the Rangers available at that time had little in common with the ones sold in Thailand at present. The last truck I had back in the world was a Dodge Dakota. Wouldn't buy another one, mostly owing to very poor fuel economy.

Looked at Rangers when I first moved to Thailand. Great trucks, so I wanted another. But looked at other trucks as well, including Nissan. I was impressed that the Nissan Navara was now actually a real truck. The older Nissans I knew of were not, really. But this Nissan was a diesel, six speed transmission, truck frame, truck tires, six lug wheels, and etc... I've heard people say that it's actually a 3/4 ton, but is sold as a half ton. I can't say for sure, but based on the truck's build, seems it certainly could be true.

The price on the Nissan was better than on the Thai Ford Ranger at the time. I gritted my teeth and went with the Nissan. I've owned trucks for I dunno... 40 years? And happy to say that this Nissan is the best truck I've ever owned, hands down. Note that in my case, I wanted the longer bed, as opposed to the four door cab. I just insist on being able to haul stuff, that's all. But I did get a "king cab." There's a back seat, and also "bat wing doors" for that back seat, so it's "almost a real four door." I also like manual transmissions. Really having trouble remembering the last automatic anything I might have had... Ah... a 2003 Ford Focus, owned for a short time. I'm sure there must have been at least one other automatic owned in the past, but can't remember what or when.

I thought a 2.5 liter diesel was plenty, and have never felt wrong about that. No need for anything bigger, personally. Plenty enough power, and the truck averages about 12.5-13 km/l. Far better than any American gasoline powered vehicle. I paid 647,000 Baht. That was 7,000 extra for the pearl white paint job... I really didn't care about "pearl" white. I just wanted white, because I'm a fuddy duddy I guess, and almost always buy white vehicles if possible. Anyway, that was in 2010. I assume the price has increased somewhat.

Others have their preferences, of course... My personal biases: I consider the Triton to be "stylistically challenged," but also worry that trucks and autos just aren't Mitsubishi's first job. And while I may have loved my '55 Chevy and '68 Lemans, General Motors vehicles pretty much went into the toilet, quality wise, sometime in the late '70s or early '80s. The '88 Pontiac I had was complete crap. I wouldn't buy a General Motors anything again, including the (Daewoo?) Chevrolets sold in Thailand. Toyotas are good. Pretty boring and extremely common, but good. Mazdas are really Ford Rangers, I do believe. Don't know anything about Isuzus, except that when I was buying back in 2010, their "king cabs" did not have four doors as the Nissan did.

I might buy another truck someday, but offhand, can't think of a good reason to. There's nothing wrong with the truck I have, and it would be difficult or impossible to improve upon it.

Sorry... Don't have anything to say about four door automatic pickups. Just reporting my experiences with the Nissan, on the off chance they might be helpful.

DSC01499 (Large).JPG

DSC01496 (Large).JPG

Edited by RedQualia

On 8/2/2016 at 0:42 PM, zoolander said:

I've had trouble accessing the forum over the last few days.

Have decided to go with the mitsubishi triton 4 door gls at 780,000.

Include the usual extras like insurance film number mats liner etc

i good choice, i bought mine in November, having looked at the ford, mazda and nissan, far better value for money baht to baht.

Probably more than 90% of vehicles on the road here are autos. That's because of traffic conditions and most Thais don't learn to drive stick. I've had a manual honda city here, then an auto honda civic and now a suzuki swift. Sure manuals are more engaging, but not so much fun in Bangkok traffic...or any big city here for that matter. Resale is also much lower on a manual,  but I guess for an old banger pickup it wouldn't be much different from an auto. Autos have come a long way....to 6 speed / 8 speed autos. They are pretty good nowadays. 

10 hours ago, zoolander said:

We looked at the Toyota but for our budget you really only get a basic model. The Triton is comparatively luxurious.

We also looked at chevrolet but they weren't cheaper.  Also our sales lady refused to give any discount.  In addition to this the showroom was empty of other customers and they didn't use the air conditioning. 

Yep, good value for sure and way better after sales service and parts availability than the chevy (at least in Thailand).