Windows 10

Graemej100

I hope someone here can give me some solid advice.

I run Windows 7 but every morning I get a message from Microsoft cajolling me to upgrade to Windows 10. They are telling me it is free until the end of the month....then what happens? I don't believe for one moment that they will start charging but what happens if I don't upgrade? I remember when I took their Windows 8 upgrade (unfortunatly) and I'm sorta worried that 10 might be the same. Windows 7 works perfectly well for me and I'm think that 'if it ain't broken then don't fix it' but what is the downside? Any thoughts or ideas?

OP, you can go back to windows 7 for 30 days after installing win 10.

About what happens after July 31st, I didn't take any chances and upgraded all my computers.

Edited by manarak

Mine upgraded without asking. Since then my bluetooth won't work anymore, no matter how hard i try.

And Win10 is nothing special, everything is changed and hard to find.

The upgrade went wrong and now i get errors that win10 is unable to update, every day again...

OP, Where you been for the last year since the free upgrade to Win 10 started on 29 Jul 15 (fifteen)? But as you have now realized, the free upgrade offer ends 29 Jul 16.

Just search ThaiVisa or the google world and there are thousands upon thousands of articles/posts on your questions for over the last year. Up to you if you upgrade or not....your Win 7 will continue to work...no impact...you'll just miss on a free upgrade to the latest version of Windows....it you want Win 10 later you'll have to buy it. Your legacy Win 7 will continue to operate as before and be supported for critical updates (no other improvements/fixes) until Jan 2020.

Mine upgraded without asking. Since then my bluetooth won't work anymore, no matter how hard i try.

The upgrade went wrong and now i get errors that win10 is unable to update, every day again...

Bluetooth is probably a driver problem. Update errors are usually fixable. Open a thread describing your hardware and the problems and we'll try and help you fix them.

Bluetooth is probably a driver problem. Update errors are usually fixable. Open a thread describing your hardware and the problems and we'll try and help you fix them.

The scenario you describe Thian is exactly what I fear. I'm starting to get a thread here that I should leave well enough alone.

Upgraded at the first opportunity to 10.. I liked 7 better but go to go with the flow. OP - "I don't believe for one moment that they will start charging but what happens if I don't upgrade? " Denial is more than a river in Egypt" Get ready to shell out 400 bucks. Just my belief LOL!!!

The scenario you describe Thian is exactly what I fear. I'm starting to get a thread here that I should leave well enough alone.

I know it's scary!!!!!

And hopefully the "...Bluetooth won't work anymore, no matter how hard I try..." included downloading any bluetooth drivers from your computer manufacturer support/driver website as computers (especially laptops) can be really picky about their drivers especially for Wifi and Bluetooth.

And believe it or not to fix some software/driver related problems like maybe your Bluetooth driver not working properly since Win 8.X and Win 10 come with "Fast Boot" set as default (allows you computer to bootup faster), you may need to permanently turn off Fast Boot....Or turn off Fast Boot, then power down, then power backup, and then you can turn Fast Boot back on....this may fix your problem.

I've had two problems fixed by temporarily turning off Fast Boot. An intermittent shut down problem I had when still running Win 8.1...and just this week when I updated my Bluetooth driver the Bluetooth was always on, always searching, the Bluetooth On-Off selection disappeared. Regarding the Bluetooth problem, I had already uninstalled the the Bluetooth driver several times in working the problem. But when I turned off Fast Boot and then rebooted my BlueTooth problem was fixed. I then turned back on Fast Boot, rebooted, and my Bluetooth remained fixed.

But remember, computers can be very picky about their drivers...the drivers that come with Win 10/automatically installed/updated by Win 10 may not work at all or fully for your machine (that applies to any OS upgrade...even previous OS upgrades like to Win 7, Win 8.X)...always be sure to check for the latest drivers on your computer's support website.

Edited by Pib

Upgrade to 10. Make sure you do a 'driver update' after installing. Play around with it for awhile if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return to your old OS. No risk involved.

There's been alot of improvements to Windows 10 since it first came out a year ago.

Edited by Rob13

Enough. Enough. I thank you all for your advice but I'm going to stay with Windows 7. All this talk about 'driver updates', 'shut downs', fast boots', 'blue tooth malfunctions'. It's supposed to be a one click upload for christ's sake. You shouldn't have to be a computer geek to make it work. My worst fears have been realized but now allayed by my decision to stay where I am.

Thanks again.

Oh yes i forgot to mention that i added a SDD disk in the laptop because it took 4-5 minutes to startup or shutdown. That's done in 30 seconds now.

I appreciate the offer for help but i read loads of forums with the same problem, I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 15R notebook and Dell stopped supporting this model since it's 5 years old now. It has a fast chip and does everything well.

I found a driver that can make bluetooth work but it still won't see my new bluetooth speakerset. That driver was from a Lenovo and 430 mb! large. It costs much time to solve problems like this so i better buy me a new bleutooth dongle for usb. My samsung phone can always see the bluetooth speakers.

In Thailand you never have to pay for a windows version, mine is legal though. But i'm not impressed with Win10, Edge is a useless progam, and i turned that assistant off because it was breaking my privacyrules.

Before Win10 i always had Java problems or stupid bs from adobe, that's all over now and i'm also happy with the Chrome adblock.

Edited by Thian

Enough. Enough. I thank you all for your advice but I'm going to stay with Windows 7. All this talk about 'driver updates', 'shut downs', fast boots', 'blue tooth malfunctions'. It's supposed to be a one click upload for christ's sake. You shouldn't have to be a computer geek to make it work. My worst fears have been realized but now allayed by my decision to stay where I am.

Thanks again.

Down and out at the starring line. Fair enough.

Support for Win 7 was to end on August 2016 (yes, this year). That has been extended for another year. Will be be extended further? Maybe, maybe not. Safest to do full computer image eg. Acronis of your system as it is now. Then do the freebie upgrade and give it a try, if not then retrograde with the image you made. I have done this several times and quite simple and reliable.

Support for Win 7 was to end on August 2016 (yes, this year). That has been extended for another year. Will be be extended further? Maybe, maybe not. Safest to do full computer image eg. Acronis of your system as it is now. Then do the freebie upgrade and give it a try, if not then retrograde with the image you made. I have done this several times and quite simple and reliable.

Win 7 support does not end until 14 Jan 20.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

all the builtin privacy/telemetry issues that you cannot turn off.

These are very, very, very easy to turn off.

I wouldn't avoid upgrading just because of the privacy issues; the chip they implanted in your brain provides all the details they need.

From the beginning of next month you will have to pay $119 to get Windows 10

Well let's see how the Thai solve the issue, i bet i can still easy buy a dvd with win10.

It seems all big company's are after our privacy now, i don't like that. I installed an app from my own bank and they also need access to my camera and so, why is that? I pay them enough allready for just banking and during the crisis my government had to rescue that whole bank from our taxmoney. They still belong to the government so in fact they are all civil servants at the bank.

I won't ever pay again for Windows, i hope uncle Bill reads that. Android is free and doesn't need so ridiculous much hardware to run. How is it even possible to write a bluetooth driver from 430 !! mb? My laptop has only 8 times more memory than that. I can't even calculate how many Commodore 64 computers we need to run only that driver. And Windows is slow compared to those new ipad-pro's you see in every mall in BKK.

Well let's see how the Thai solve the issue, i bet i can still easy buy a dvd with win10.

It seems all big company's are after our privacy now, i don't like that. I installed an app from my own bank and they also need access to my camera and so, why is that? I pay them enough allready for just banking and during the crisis my government had to rescue that whole bank from our taxmoney. They still belong to the government so in fact they are all civil servants at the bank.

I won't ever pay again for Windows, i hope uncle Bill reads that. Android is free and doesn't need so ridiculous much hardware to run. How is it even possible to write a bluetooth driver from 430 !! mb? My laptop has only 8 times more memory than that. I can't even calculate how many Commodore 64 computers we need to run only that driver. And Windows is slow compared to those new ipad-pro's you see in every mall in BKK.

Yeah, but if you want Windows 10 after tomorrow you'll have to pay 4K baht for it.

Yeah, but if you want Windows 10 after tomorrow you'll have to pay 4K baht for it.

200 baht in phantip.

For some reason win10 is updating again right now, it wants to give me the latest version. I have had this so many times, it will load for half an hour and after that nothing is installed and the same thing starts again next week.

My wife told me how her friend has to use a copycopy of windows at her work. One day the boss new that the inspectionteam from microsoft was coming and he told ALL the employees (they work at a very big company which i won't mention) at office to bring their pc to home that night.

So next day they were all sitting in the office when that team came in and they all had paper notebooks and pencils to write. NO computers at all, nobody and they had to act like it was a normal workday 555. It worked and the next day they all brought the computers back to work.

I think it's a really funny story, especially if you know where they work....it's impossible to do that job without computers tongue.png and those paper notebooks they all had were brand new.facepalm.gif

I have a new ASUS computer with a legal and licensed version of windows 10 installed by the manufacturer.

I don't like windows 10, I have turned off most of the advisories.

I do get regular updates, however.

I have uninstalled parts of windows 10 I do not want.

If necessary, I will have windows 8 reinstalled.

I have a new ASUS computer with a legal and licensed version of windows 10 installed by the manufacturer.

I don't like windows 10, I have turned off most of the advisories.

I do get regular updates, however.

I have uninstalled parts of windows 10 I do not want.

If necessary, I will have windows 8 reinstalled.

First thing I did was get rid of all the tiles and turned off alot of the new features,like cortana and alot of other services. It's like using Win 7 at this point. A bit faster I think and I do like the touch screen

200 baht in phantip.

For some reason win10 is updating again right now, it wants to give me the latest version. I have had this so many times, it will load for half an hour and after that nothing is installed and the same thing starts again next week.

This has been a problem for many people, myself included.

The solution is to download the Media Creation Tool.

You download the version of W10 that matches with your current version of W7.

You put in on a USB drive and do a clean install.

You can use your W7 key for W10.

Of course a clean install means you need to copy all your files and later re-install all your programs but it has always been the best way of limiting what can go wrong.

I upgraded my computers the other night without too much drama.

If you don't like the appearance of W10 then first item to install is Classic Shell, that allows you to configure everything more like W7.

Takes some time but I'm happy with what I have now.

A few issues with W7 have gone away and my laptop which always ran too hot from the day I put in an SSD now runs noticably cooler.

Free upgrade ends very soon.

Thanks again.

Good decision download "never10" and never be bothered again.

According to the MS site "Windows-10-Upgrade", there is 1 day and about 12 hours left for the free upgrade.

I just did that and it is working OK.

To be completely honest, I didn't upgrade my main desktop PC. What I am typing on now is a PC that was in pieces 12 hours ago. I got my old Gigabyte motherboard out of its anti-static bag, connected it up to the PSU in a spare case, connected the spare monitor and booted up a spare SSD running XP. (I have a lot of "spares".)

I then installed Win7 in a spare partition, activated it (whistling.gif), updated it using MS's "Convenience Rollup", and then went to the MS site for the Win10 upgrade.

12 hours and a dozen re-boots later it's all working.

Apart from the damn @ sign which keeps appearing instead of the ". mad.gif

Back to my main PC now, running XP. biggrin.png

One advantage to upgrading now for free, rather than waiting to buy Win 10 later. I upgraded my old laptop to Win 10 and everything went smoothly, and everything still worked. Now I bought a new laptop, and had to buy Win 10 for it, in the US. Cost for Win 10 from Dell was $150. The purchased copy does not provide you with the drivers needed to run DVD's. These you must buy from the MS Store for $14.99. You get them free with the free upgrade.

Thanks again.

No your worse fears will be down the road when you try to update programs that no longer function properly. $400 dollars please. I have Windows and Macs. I use the Macs 99% of the time. It's a no brainer.