Windows 10

Graemej100

I had Window 7 for many years and it always acted very good but I received several months ago the setup of Window 8.

Currently Window 8 is slightly better than Window 7 but perhaps eventually one has to enter Window 10.

If you do it today it's free. Tomorrow it'll cost you.

Support for Win 7 was to end on August 2016 (yes, this year). That has been extended for another year. Will be be extended further? Maybe, maybe not. Safest to do full computer image eg. Acronis of your system as it is now. Then do the freebie upgrade and give it a try, if not then retrograde with the image you made. I have done this several times and quite simple and reliable.

According to the MS site "Windows-10-Upgrade", there is 1 day and about 12 hours left for the free upgrade.

I just did that and it is working OK.

To be completely honest, I didn't upgrade my main desktop PC. What I am typing on now is a PC that was in pieces 12 hours ago. I got my old Gigabyte motherboard out of its anti-static bag, connected it up to the PSU in a spare case, connected the spare monitor and booted up a spare SSD running XP. (I have a lot of "spares".)

I then installed Win7 in a spare partition, activated it (whistling.gif), updated it using MS's "Convenience Rollup", and then went to the MS site for the Win10 upgrade.

12 hours and a dozen re-boots later it's all working.

Apart from the damn @ sign which keeps appearing instead of the ". mad.gif

Back to my main PC now, running XP. biggrin.png

A lot of unnecessary steps there. No need to update Windows 7, it only needs to be activated. From there to use the gatherosstate method to a clean install of Windows 10. All done within the hour. As to the @ and "...that's to do with having either a US or UK keyboard. If you have US, change to UK. If you have UK, change to US.

OK. Here's a question: Microsoft say that they will continue to support Windows 7 until 2020.

My best guess is my laptop won't last until then.

If I upgrade to Windows 10 today, will Windows 10 be a free install when I buy my new computer in (say) 2018?

Or will I have to pay at that time to have 10 installed?

The point being: if I'm happy with 7 why be scared that I'll have to pay for 10 tomorrow if tomorrow, when I buy a new computer, I'm going to have to pay anyway?

OK. Here's a question: Microsoft say that they will continue to support Windows 7 until 2020.

If I upgrade to Windows 10 today, will Windows 10 be a free install when I buy my new computer in (say) 2018?

The point being: if I'm happy with 7 why be scared that I'll have to pay for 10 tomorrow if tomorrow, when I buy a new computer, I'm going to have to pay anyway?

Most likely Win 10 (or the most recent version of Windows) will be included in the purchase price and will installed for you.

Edited by Rob13

That's the sort of logic I followed when I had eight disastrous tries at downloading Windows 10 using every imaginable method including the media creation tool, yet still got numerous error codes (many of these are highlighted on the Internet as problematic when trying to download Windows 10).
In addition I damn near lost my W7 because of corrupted files and the fact that the crashed installation process for W10 meant that it did not automatically revert to my previous Windows 7.
Stay with your current setup and when the time comes to replace your laptop/PC, buy one with the latest Windows already installed. That's my ten cents worth!!

Support for Win 7 was to end on August 2016 (yes, this year). That has been extended for another year. Will be be extended further? Maybe, maybe not. Safest to do full computer image eg. Acronis of your system as it is now. Then do the freebie upgrade and give it a try, if not then retrograde with the image you made. I have done this several times and quite simple and reliable.

According to the MS site "Windows-10-Upgrade", there is 1 day and about 12 hours left for the free upgrade.

To be completely honest, I didn't upgrade my main desktop PC. What I am typing on now is a PC that was in pieces 12 hours ago. I got my old Gigabyte motherboard out of its anti-static bag, connected it up to the PSU in a spare case, connected the spare monitor and booted up a spare SSD running XP. (I have a lot of "spares".)

I then installed Win7 in a spare partition, activated it (whistling.gif), updated it using MS's "Convenience Rollup", and then went to the MS site for the Win10 upgrade.

A lot of unnecessary steps there. No need to update Windows 7, it only needs to be activated. From there to use the gatherosstate method to a clean install of Windows 10. All done within the hour. As to the @ and "...that's to do with having either a US or UK keyboard. If you have US, change to UK. If you have UK, change to US.

There are many reports of the upgrade to Win10 failing if Win7 is not fully updated. The "Covenience Rollup" is very quick - I'd done it already on a friend's PC. That update also fixed his Windows Update process (for Win7) looping forever.

Why update anyway? Clone your current set up and then run a clean install. It's the upgrade process that throws up issues as there are more variables.

In my experience (10+ PCs now) it's better to do an upgrade because Windows does a good job of migrating or updating all drivers.

If you do a clean install and legacy hardware hasn't got a W10 driver, it can be a right pain in the ar$e.

Why update anyway? Clone your current set up and then run a clean install. It's the upgrade process that throws up issues as there are more variables.

Agreed - MS can't make the upgrade process handle every Win7 installation on the planet. But I upgraded my netbook and laptop from Win7, rather than a clean install, because I didn't want to reinstall 20+ programs and spend hours or even days reconfiguring them.

The exception was my rebuilt desktop which only had XP on the SSD that I used, so a clean install of Win7 followed by a "Convenience Rollup" update of Win7 and then an upgrade to Win10 made sense to me as there were no installed programs to reinstall or configure.

There are many reports of the upgrade to Win10 failing if Win7 is not fully updated. The "Covenience Rollup" is very quick - I'd done it already on a friend's PC. That update also fixed his Windows Update process (for Win7) looping forever.

You simply did not comprehend what I wrote. You run a clean install from boot, not an upgrade over the old OS. It's the upgrade path that is an issue. Clean install is quick and efficient. Literally minutes..

Agreed - MS can't make the upgrade process handle every Win7 installation on the planet. But I upgraded my netbook and laptop from Win7, rather than a clean install, because I didn't want to reinstall 20+ programs and spend hours or even days reconfiguring them.

The exception was my rebuilt desktop which only had XP on the SSD that I used, so a clean install of Win7 followed by a "Convenience Rollup" update of Win7 and then an upgrade to Win10 made sense to me as there were no installed programs to reinstall or configure.

No need for the convenience roll-up or the upgrade over the top if you have nothing to save. Just a waste of time.

In my experience (10+ PCs now) it's better to do an upgrade because Windows does a good job of migrating or updating all drivers.

If you do a clean install and legacy hardware hasn't got a W10 driver, it can be a right pain in the ar$e.

I haven't done even a single installation where Windows 10 hasn't found the Drivers. You need to be patient, as some take a while to install.

That's the sort of logic I followed when I had eight disastrous tries at downloading Windows 10 using every imaginable method including the media creation tool, yet still got numerous error codes (many of these are highlighted on the Internet as problematic when trying to download Windows 10).
In addition I damn near lost my W7 because of corrupted files and the fact that the crashed installation process for W10 meant that it did not automatically revert to my previous Windows 7.
Stay with your current setup and when the time comes to replace your laptop/PC, buy one with the latest Windows already installed. That's my ten cents worth!!

Back up your data and run a clean install. Quick and easy. Upgrading is generally more problematic.

You simply did not comprehend what I wrote. You run a clean install from boot, not an upgrade over the old OS. It's the upgrade path that is an issue. Clean install is quick and efficient. Literally minutes..

And what happens to all your previously installed programs?

Clearly nothing in your case...as there were none.

Very happy with 7,many friends hate 8 and 10, never read one thing good about them.

The only good thing about 10 is that the java and adobe update bs has stopped, those programs drove me crazy.

Now my Chome sometimes has issues, not sure why but it is hanging sometimes.

If i need a new computer one day i won't even think of windows anymore, Android also works fine for what i want to do.

Also Microsoft won't catch me again for using their Office package, i have a free one now which works perfect.

Win 10 doesn't even include programs like Winzip or Winrar, why didn't they buy those company's and just emerge it in Win10? So annoying if they force me to download unknown software and try to get a key to use it.

Also Win10 has grown far too large, drivers from 430 mb it's insane! I remember the first windows was on a cd-rom and that was maximum 550 mb for the whole program.

I also think that if we pay for a legal windows version and pay another pc after it we should get the windows software for free. Don't have to pay every time we buy a new pc.

'Windows does a good job of migrating or updating all drivers?

I very much doubt that. You try manually to update all your drivers then you will have your answer.

Enjoy

I reckon that's 10 cents of good advice.

I upgraded from 7 to 10. I'm satisfied but there's not really much improvement. Maybe if someone had a new machine, the Windows 10 would be worth the effort. If you have an old machine and your happy with it, don't waste your time.

Very happy with 7,many friends hate 8 and 10, never read one thing good about them.

I have found that it is much to do with the evolution of complaint rather than the efficiency of the operating system.

It is hard to believe that the loss of the function of displaying a start menu (W8/8.1), even though 3rd party software was available to replace this, has led to the vast amount of complaint, and imagined loss of functionality of the OS. IMO, the damage was done with W8, that was Microsoft's bad as the majority of users weren't ready for the change to the new metro GUI.

The visuals are what did the damage, not the improvement of the operating system. Oh, and the imagined breach of privacy with W10 talking to home, if you don't know how to block (most of these) safely, there are again numerous 3rd party installs you can do.

Very few people like change, but sometimes it is necessary.........................wink.png

Only my thoughts on this subject; up until one year ago i had 30+ computers running on XP before upgrading to W8.1. They are now all running W10 without a problem, so with the issue of not liking change, i was also guilty......................rolleyes.gif

I hate windows 8.

It is a OS for finger-operated tablets, not for mouse-operated computers.

I have now upgraded all my computers to Win 10, and I think it's OK, with the exception of a few things such as the added extra level of dumbness in the access to computer settings and the windows that annoyingly don't extend their visible part to the edge of the screen, resulting in a few pixels being shaved off.

As far as I could find out, the windows have "transparent edges". Any way to turn these edges off?

Edited by manarak

You're not very good at answering embarrassing questions, are you?

Clearly nothing in your case...as there were none.

Nicely picked out the exception.

The other 3 machines were all upgraded using the method I described.

On 30 July 2016 at 8:21 AM, JetsetBkk said:

You're not very good at answering embarrassing questions, are you?

Nicely picked out the exception.

The other 3 machines were all upgraded using the method I described.

I was referring to "the exception" in the first place. That was to the post I replied. It is only you who has assumed that I was referring to all of your installs and perhaps, everyone else's.

Dope.JPG

On 7/29/2016 at 8:37 PM, chrisinth said:

It is hard to believe that the loss of the function of displaying a start menu (W8/8.1), even though 3rd party software was available to replace this, has led to the vast amount of complaint, and imagined loss of functionality of the OS. IMO, the damage was done with W8, that was Microsoft's bad as the majority of users weren't ready for the change to the new metro GUI.

[...]

I had no intention of upgrading to Win 10 from 7, then my old laptop died and my new one had 10 installed.  I come from a Unix background and am quite comfortable with just a gui desktop a icons to click to run programs and access files.  I never used Aero, or the enhanced interface that comes with 10. In fact, my Windows desktop looks pretty much like it did in XP, maybe even earlier versions.  But what I do like in Win 10 is the new extended Start menu, it's like a dashboard, covers the bottom-left of the screen, with all the programs I use day to day.  The new searchable interface to Settings is also handy.  Otherwise, the only things new to me in 10 are "under the hood."

Edited by bendejo