TAT denies rumor of boycott by Chinese tourists

webfact

TAT denies rumor of boycott by Chinese tourists

CHIANG MAI, 28 July 2016 (NNT) – The Chiang Mai Office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is working to publicize a correct understanding regarding the rumors of a tourism boycott by Chinese tourists to Thailand, says the director.

TAT Chiang Mai Director Wisut Buachum spoke regarding the rumors spread by some Chinese media on an alleged boycott by Chinese tourists who have decided not to come to Chiang Mai province or Thailand in general. However, inquiries by TAT overseas offices in China found no concrete evidence of such a development.

However, he said that TAT Chiang Mai will be holding a meeting with tourism entrepreneurs in the province to discuss measures to defuse the issue as soon as possible.

Regarding the regulation affecting Chinese tourists travelling to Thailand in caravan vehicles, Chiang Mai's TAT Director said that this does not much affect Chiang Mai Province. He noted though, that this action could be interpreted by visitors as being unwelcoming, which could eventually erode the confidence of Chinese tourists visiting in various modes of transportation.

Chiang Mai Province currently welcomes about 800,000 tourists from China annually, with 50,000 travelling overland through the Chiang Khong border crossing in Chiang Rai Province.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-29 footer_n.gif

If you ask CM residents, they will tell you that they have a belly full of those unruly, cheapskates running

around the city as if they own it, TAT however, worries about the numbers, not the quality of the tourists,

and before long now, they will reverse the order banning Chines cars beyond CM and will throw in a free

hotel stay and a buffet or two, such are the Thais, no backbones to speak of.....

TAT have told so many porkies re arrival numbers over the last 6 years, nobody believes their statistics anymore. Was it not yesterday they were crying that chinese tourist numbers were down by 60 odd %? Grow balls TAT and speak the truth for once, oh and by the way bring safety into the equasion too. Chinese folks dont like drowning, falling off buildings, getting attacked and cut up in outboard motors. Bye Chinese tourists, we'll send you the postcards.

While there is no formal Chinese boycott of tourism into Thailand, China did in mid-2015 identify domestic tourism in China as a growth sector. Just as did Prayut for Thailand. This means that like Thailand, China has begun government promotion strategies to keep its citizens in China for their vacation needs. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-tourism-idUSKCN0Q31K120150729

TAT and/or Minister of Tourism and Sports also invited a bunch of high level Chinese tour and travel folks to Thailand to explain how much Thailand love China, er Chinese tourists' money

Chinese bring very little to the tourism industry, as everything is prepaid back home, all transport,eateries,shops are owned by CHinese.mCome walk around Phuket's Kata and Karon,meverything is for rent, lease, sale....the heart of tourism is gone....

Ok I have 2 Tour guides who own and operate businesses living in my moo baan. They are really nice friendly people and have traveled extensively. One lady married to an ozzie and one man married to a Japanes girl.

the man does NOT do tours with Chinese because of bad experiences. the lady operates a company SOLELY for Chinese and has 10 Private 4 x 4 she uses.

they told me that The Chinese numbers in the past month have HALVED for these reasons:

1. The government was subsidizing the airfares and HOTELS. What they were doing was buying rooms in bulk at a discount from hoteliers and then selling them at a further discount to the Chinese (20% is what both told me)

2. they were also doing the same to the airfares.

Now they have stopped the subsidies and also asked the Chinese to BEHAVE more appropriately and the Chinese have gone looking for greener and cheaper deals elsewhere.

The lady is worried as she says she is no longer making enough to pay her bills.

I also live near where all those bastard STANDARD TOUR buses operate from and that is a CHINESE company. I see they are hardly being used at all and many drivers are laid off.

Would say to me there is some truth in hat I am hearing NOT TIT from TAT

Tourism must become a dinosaur eventually , the novelty wears off ,people start looking further afield , economic downturns  ,military rule, costs,  whatever,  they have been flogging tourism for over 2 decades , nothing has changed in Thailand , it just got tired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 7:08 PM, meinphuket said:

Chinese bring very little to the tourism industry, as everything is prepaid back home, all transport,eateries,shops are owned by CHinese.mCome walk around Phuket's Kata and Karon,meverything is for rent, lease, sale....the heart of tourism is gone....

It's quite remarkable how little Chiang Mai's expat Farangs understand about Chinese people, or tourism in general.

There are a LOT of independent travelling Chinese tourists, and they all book local. And taht includes some really expensive things like higher end elephant parks (Patara, ENP) and spendier zipline operators (Flight of the Gibbon, etc.)   Plus renting minivans, eating at the same restaurants you and I eat at (or is Duke's chinese operated these days... :P ) and staying in upmarket accommodation.

I was rather honored to have someone in management at Banyan Tree group (from China) stay at the place my wife runs.. they're on their way now to Phuket where there is a Banyan Tree where they stay for free, but for Chiang Mai they picked her place..   Or check out the 5 star hotels in town:  many elderly Farangs there...? Nope..  but plenty people from China (and other places in Asia). 

They're also impeccably behaved, good English communications and very, very tidy.  If we get a group of European guests vs Chinese then it's VERY likely the Chinese will leave things a lot cleaner, down to making the beds and folding the towels.  (Although age is the bigger factor here;  young kids from anywhere in the world tend to be less tidy, more used to people cleaning up after them. ;) 

Anyway, this is an entirely different demographic from low end group tours which fortunately Chiang Mai doesn't get too many of.  (As always, that's Pattaya territory..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I agree. Well heeled Chinese tourists used to represent 90% of guests at The Chedi, it was/is not unusual for one of them to roll up into the Boutique shop and blow three hundred thousand baht on "stuff" and ask that it all be shipped to their home address in China.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I agree. Well heeled Chinese tourists used to represent 90% of guests at The Chedi, it was/is not unusual for one of them to roll up into the Boutique shop and blow three hundred thousand baht on "stuff" and ask that it all be shipped to their home address in China.

Yes.. "used to", past tense though?  Or you think it's seasonal?

Another thing I like about Chinese tourists: they pack light. :)    Even backpacker Farangs find ways to lug god knows what around in fridge sized backpacks (all the more puzzling given their T-shirt & flip flops attire), and then families with children can have so many heavy suitcases it's unbelievable.   (Chinese do often end up buying (or bringing) another empty suitcase for all the stuff they're buying..)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Yes.. "used to", past tense though?  Or you think it's seasonal?

Another thing I like about Chinese tourists: they pack light. :)    Even backpacker Farangs find ways to lug god knows what around in fridge sized backpacks (all the more puzzling given their T-shirt & flip flops attire), and then families with children can have so many heavy suitcases it's unbelievable.   (Chinese do often end up buying (or bringing) another empty suitcase for all the stuff they're buying..)

I only said "used to" because my observations were based on past experience, since Mrs CM left the Chedi (now Anantara) I've no recent first hand observations although second hand reports from the hotel confirm nothing has changed.

But FWIW Mrs CM has been studying Mandarin and is now in her third semester and is coming along nicely. She supplements her learning by working at a nearby tourist attraction as a guide, in that way she is able to practice her Mandarin and earns money for shopping. Mrs CM tells me that 90% of the visitors to the attraction are Chinese tourists on hotel tours with her place of work being just one stop on a tour of the Mesa Valley, aka elephant camp, orchid farm etc. and that those tours are generally around 2,500 baht per person - that's money that is paid by the Chinese tourist to the hotel in Chiang Mai and to the tourist attraction. She estimates the site receives in the order of 600 guests per day so posters can do the math. Anyone who thinks Chinese tourists/visitors aren't providing a substantial boost to the Thai economy doesn't know what they're talking about and we're not even in high season yet.

Edited by chiang mai