How to Complain About Someone

TravelTeach

Hey all,

I signed up for private language courses. I'm at a strange level that's not beginner but not far from it. That's why I signed up for private: because a regular beginner course would be several weeks, or months behind me, and my time is limited. I have time for a month of intense lessons before work starts.

The teacher immediately began teaching me basic Thai without asking my level or asking anything about my goals. I stopped her after a bit and explained my situation, so we sat down and had a productive 2 hours. To secure the time slot over the next month, I paid the school in advance.

But then in today's lesson the teacher showed up and said "so what do you want to talk about"? And so began a 2 hour lesson that was pretty random. She clearly hadn't planned much. After the lesson I looked at the textbook and said, "so which lesson did we do today? what should I review?" and she more or less blanked. Most of the class, actually all of the class, is her asking questions, without me asking anything.

I broached a few ideas for the class and she seemed to go a bit cold....

So I feel that there are two problems:

a) she doesn't know/care about my goals

B) she has no lesson plans

There is a farang manager at the school. I was thinking about writing a polite email to have her pass on the message to the teacher, then wondered if this will cause friction.

What's the best way to approach this situation? Again, already paid for the month of classes.

Thanks!

Your teacher clearly arrived with an expectation of how she should present the lessons, this is almost certainly set by her employer. You've asked for a different lesson plan for which your teacher is not prepared, there is an expectation gap between you and your teacher.

You don't need to complain, you simply need to fix the expectation gap.

If its a possibility, go speak with the expat manager, explain what you are looking for (your expectation) and see what he can do to meet it.

Making a complaint to the teacher or about the teacher will not get you the result you want - lessons that meet your expectation.

----

If on the other hand you feel like you simply want to complain and get it all off your chest, feel free to do so. But then go find another language school.

Don't expect too much of language schools.

Lessons and books help, but the way to learn is to live among the locals and use the language everyday.

Some people seem to be born with an aptitude for languages - I wasn't, but I overcame it to learn Thai because I didn't want my my wife and children to see me as an illiterate who couldn't speak the language.

Edited by DeaconJohn

Don't expect too much of language schools.

Lessons and books help, but the way to learn is to live among the locals and use the language everyday.

Some people seem to be born with an aptitude for languages - I wasn't, but I overcame it to learn Thai because I didn't want my my wife and children to see me as an illiterate who couldn't speak the language.

May I ask you how long before you could have an every day conversation with your family?

When you only pay 50 baht/hour; you get what you pay for. Better to pay a working girl at Nana Plaza.

Why waste your money for language lessons ?

Perhaps because he doesn't want to speak the kind of rough, coarse Thai the average bar skank does.

There is a world of difference between 'complaining' or 'explaining what you require'. As long as you explain in a clear, polite way I can't see what the problem is. You obviously already have skills in the vernacular so maybe an explanation in Thai would also demonstrate you are beyond the 'Gor Gai Kor Kwai' level and give them a pointer....

Perhaps because he doesn't want to speak the kind of rough, coarse Thai the average bar skank does.

Hey come on now! I'm sure we've all been truly impressed at some point by some vest wearing Bar Rat squawking at the top of his voice the atonal snippets of 'Thai' he's picked up from the lasses....laugh.png

There are different reasons for this happening. Firstly if you are not a beginner nor intermediate how can she prepare set classes because she dont really know what you know or dont know. How does she know you have a sound basis on which to build further. It maybe that you were taught incorrectly before and thus makes it difficult to build on that. What do you want to learn ? If you need situational communication skills the best would be a roleplay format. I think put your needs in writing and sit down with the schools manager/owner and teacher.

I was in a very similar situation to the OP in the sense that when I signed up for Thai classes at one of the local language schools I already had some very, very basic knowledge of the Thai language and had learnt maybe a few hundred words over the previous 9 months or so. So I wasn´t too fond of the idea to join their "Absolute Beginners" group lessons and opted for private lessons. That way I could progress through the course book at a speed that was the most suitable given my skill level. Things I already knew we just skipped or only touched briefly while we focussed on the things of their first course book that I wasn´t familiar with yet. In the end, I did their course book #1 in less than half the amount of hours they teach it in their group lessons. Today, I joined their group session for their course #2.

So, whilst I can understand the OP´s frustration, why not use the course book that the teacher is familiar with (and has hopefully been trained to teach with) and then go through it at the pace that is most suitable for you and your current command of the Thai language?

Edited by DUS

Let me first say these lessons are 600 baht an hour. Private lessons at a school that's been in business quite a while, has good reviews, and is licensed to get Ed visas. The school has a positive vibe with so far positive employees.

I appreciate the positive responses on here, and am not to sure what the "go home" or "50 baht" responses were about. Nobody should expect a teacher to have no lesson plan ready and I clearly explained my needs up front with the school before I signed up. So there was no reason to start with trying to teach me Hello. There's also no reasons to just say "What do you want to learn today?" which is what she said when I came today. I know it's a difficult role, but I explained it and I'm paying for it. If they can't do it, then they can't do it, but I want to see if I can fix the problem before being direct with them and saying that this isn't working.

And so, I need to know is the farang manager the person to approach, or is it the teacher. Because in some cultures people don't want to hear ideas directly, while other cultures would be upset you went around/over them. What I asked was how to broach this culturally, so that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. I'm quite aware how to yell at someone -- it's not what I want to do.

Thanks again to the people who tried to help.

I certainly would explain your issues with the coordinator or principal. There are many language schools around and none of them like losing business. If you are in "private" one to one lessons set out what you want and insist that you get appropriate tuition. In this situation you are in the best seat, these schools love people like you as you are a cash cow for them.

I have been through all this as I read Thai fairly well and wanted to learn it using the Thai alphabet. They were, more or less able to accommodate me.

Stick to your guns!!

Let me first say these lessons are 600 baht an hour. Private lessons at a school that's been in business quite a while, has good reviews, and is licensed to get Ed visas. The school has a positive vibe with so far positive employees.

I appreciate the positive responses on here, and am not to sure what the "go home" or "50 baht" responses were about. Nobody should expect a teacher to have no lesson plan ready and I clearly explained my needs up front with the school before I signed up. So there was no reason to start with trying to teach me Hello. There's also no reasons to just say "What do you want to learn today?" which is what she said when I came today. I know it's a difficult role, but I explained it and I'm paying for it. If they can't do it, then they can't do it, but I want to see if I can fix the problem before being direct with them and saying that this isn't working.

And so, I need to know is the farang manager the person to approach, or is it the teacher. Because in some cultures people don't want to hear ideas directly, while other cultures would be upset you went around/over them. What I asked was how to broach this culturally, so that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. I'm quite aware how to yell at someone -- it's not what I want to do.

You're overthinking this. Just talk to the teacher with a smile and explain the situation. Avoid confrontational and demanding and you should be fine. There's no need to go to the boss.

Think of it this way. The instructor, being a native speaker, is at level 100. Normally, she teaches at say level 5. You want level 7. This will take almost zero extra effort on her part so you're not making an imposition.

You're overthinking this. Just talk to the teacher with a smile and explain the situation. Avoid confrontational and demanding and you should be fine. There's no need to go to the boss.

Think of it this way. The instructor, being a native speaker, is at level 100. Normally, she teaches at say level 5. You want level 7. This will take almost zero extra effort on her part so you're not making an imposition.

She's not teaching. She's just talking. "What do you want to learn today?" indicates no assessment of the student or his needs.

Challenging an asian authority figure….insta fail…bound to end in tears.

No authority to me. A human who isn't doing their job. And doing it with my money. In a small school two can play at the "losing face" game, but I'd rather not do that.

If you paid for private lessons, why are other people in the class?

Can you not just say excuse me and ask her to do what you feel is correct? I doubt she/he would give a toss.

I know you probably have a genuine grievance, but i must admit i had a little chuckle reading the opening post, it all seems a bit pathetic needing to come on the internet to sought the issue!

She's not teaching. She's just talking. "What do you want to learn today?" indicates no assessment of the student or his needs.

And the course books at this school are all "shi$e" or useless for what you´d like to achieve in the next few weeks?

Can you not just say excuse me and ask her to do what you feel is correct? I doubt she/he would give a toss.

I know you probably have a genuine grievance, but i must admit i had a little chuckle reading the opening post, it all seems a bit pathetic needing to come on the internet to sought the issue!

There aren't other people in the class. Not sure why you said this.

Pathetic? Ok, your call, but this isn't my country. There are lots of countries where I know how to respond to this problem, but not Thailand. There might be a very right way and very wrong way, so that's why I'm asking.

And the course books at this school are all "shi$e" or useless for what you´d like to achieve in the next few weeks?

Exactly. "How are you?" "Is this delicious?" and most other common introductory phrases.

"She's not teaching. She's just talking. "What do you want to learn today?" indicates no assessment of the student or his needs".

Well, just tell her what it is that you want or need, have you ever tried?

​Don't complain but explain.

Edit for font.

Edited by Carib

Create your own lesson plan that way you can focus on the things that are most applicable to your role. Write down all the things you want to be able to say and have her teach you. Personally I would have opted for a guy if your a guy.

Once they get their money some lose their dedication.

I found my teacher treated me rather child like, Thai child at that. She did not want to hear how I felt I would learn better or any suggestions. Yes it seemed I was telling her her job, but I was paying. Often she arrived late for our lessons, tried to cram them in all together and would pass me off to subordinates.

You shouldnt complain to anyone about her. That much should be obvious, and it is not just a Thai thing.

Think..if you were teaching a Thai person English, had plans prepared, only for them to say " Im past that level, please move on"....then naturally you would also ask...

"Ok, so what do you want/need to learn?"

I dont understand how you can begrudge her for that?

Anyway, she probably feels like you "cut her down" so to speak,

so i guess its up to you to be more specific and suggest what direction you want the lessons to go in. Shes not a mind reader.

You could ask for each lesson be half theory and half situational conversation that you use day by day.

at the restaurant, Directions, Food, Travel, with a gf etc

Does the School begin with an S? I paid a private School in advance once and was told had 2 years to take lessons in. Started with a few then went again on next holiday a year later for more only to be told the time had run out- lost almost 6k. Once they have your money they don't care if you learn anything or not.

How much extra are you paying her for a customized lesson plan that may take many many hours to prepare?

How can she know exactly everything you already know and what might be the best way to proceed?

Be realistic.

I have similar issues in that I am self taught - and being self taught, though I can say nearly anything, I am deficient in comprehension. How would a teacher know what I do and do not know?

I think what you are asking of your teacher is difficult, maybe impossible.

Why don't you go in with a lesson plan? Let her use her expertise to assist you. One possibility would be to buy some beginner childrens books and use that as a guide. You may know some and learn some.

Good luck - keep at it.

There aren't other people in the class. Not sure why you said this.

Pathetic? Ok, your call, but this isn't my country. There are lots of countries where I know how to respond to this problem, but not Thailand. There might be a very right way and very wrong way, so that's why I'm asking.

Exactly. "How are you?" "Is this delicious?" and most other common introductory phrases.

Her training is probably in following a lesson plan, going from A-Z, so to speak - it sounds like she is trying... but it is like you have jumbled the itinerary by having some knowledge... maybe just go from lesson one and move very quickly if you already know the answers... It sounds like she means well... she has a lesson plan - you don't want that - so, she asks 'what do you want to learn?' - - I don't think this would be easy for any teacher to accomplish... you are kind of going in there and asking her to teach you things you do not already know - I think there is no way for your time to be 100% productive... you are paying a fair price but I think it is your job to find a way for her to be more effective... someone above mentioned learning by subject - travel, food, wherever you feel you would like the help but there likely will be repetition of what you already know...