Where is the best coffee place in CM (not Starbucks or chains)

balo

Ma Chill I passed the other day , I just looked at the menu,  70 baht I think it was  , that's what you have to pay for air-con and a nice location I guess. Didn't try the coffee , too close to my favourite 25 baht place . 

Edited by balo

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best ice flat white ON THE PLANET....not on the menu.

Barista champ, and yet prices are 20-45 Baht....half Ristr8tto price and all other real barista places.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d8826505-Reviews-Fabulous_Coffee_Roasters_Ramida_Coffee_Shop-Chiang_Mai.html

Beats every coffee shop I've been to in nearly 5 years in CM.

Edited by freedomnow

4 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Best ice flat white ON THE PLANET....not on the menu.

Barista champ, and yet prices are 20-45 Baht

Interesting , I never knew about this place even if I have walked past them several times.  It's very close to my favourite spot Hom coffee, I will check them out this week .  

Edited by balo

16 hours ago, balo said:

Interesting , I never knew about this place even if I have walked past them several times.  It's very close to my favourite spot Hom coffee, I will check them out this week .  

When I say Barista champ, its not hyperbole...he won the Thailand award back in the day.

Just watch how me makes it.

He has a ton of beans stored up on the mountains, roasts himself and squeezes every last drop of brewing ability out his mid-level machine, cleans the machine regularly.....etc etc.

Let me put it this way, after 3 coffee attempts.... the only thing I'll drink in Hom coffee is tea..... ;-)

Agree, Tintin is overpriced and too far away , but I guess if you're visiting in that area it's the best coffee you will find. 

Regarding Hom coffee, I am not claimimg it is "barista" quality but for 25 baht it's unbeatable. But I am willing to pay up to 60 baht for quality. 

22 hours ago, balo said:

Regarding Hom coffee, I am not claimimg it is "barista" quality but for 25 baht it's unbeatable.

Yes, it is beatable by a large margin 2 streets away (Ramida)...

Single piccolo latte 25 Baht (10 grams shot)....incomparable yes, as the taste is day-and-night between the 2 places.

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Single piccolo latte 25 Baht (10 grams shot)....incomparable yes, as the taste is day-and-night between the 2 places.

But if they want customers they need to operate normally , they were closed today. Nothing mentioned , the door was open but one of the staff told me the guy working there would not be back.  Then I asked when they will open tomorrow and they didn't have a clue . Very unprofessional .  I was looking forward to test the coffee. So I had to walk back to Hom and enjoy another 25 baht coffee. 

After searching for the best hot Americano in town for months  I ended up with this place , and believe it or not it's only 25 baht .  

Nice, friendly staff knows how to prepare it , you can't go wrong here and money saved as well . The place is called Hom coffee , it's around 500 meters up from Thapae gate , same side as Black Canyon and Burger King. 

I don't know why they are selling it so cheap but I'm not complaining. 

If I  want to rate this coffee , I would give it 9 out of 10, same as I would do with the more upscale place in Nimman area called Ristr8to where you pay 90 baht. They are equally good. Go check them out if you're in the area. 

2016_10_05_12_15_40.jpg

2016_10_05_12_15_50.jpg

2016_10_23_13_36_25.jpg

This place will probably be a bit out of the way for you but the next time you're out driving (north) then be sure to stop at Pankled Coffee. Take route 107 north to route 1095 (road to Pai). Turn left on 1095 and continue for about 20 km, more or less, and you will see Pankled Coffee on the left. Relaxing place with decent food as well as coffee.

post-11958-0-79177800-1469847457_thumb.jpg

post-11958-0-73902800-1469847722_thumb.jpg

What I see is sweet girls drinking sweet ice coffee and eating sweet desserts, doesn't say much about their coffee but I guess there's only one way to find out....   

I'd second hom coffee, not many seats outside on the main stretch for a bit of exhaust fumes.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

I am not a coffee nerd or such like...., but I was recommended to go to Ma Chill. Yesterday we went there and supped what I have to say was an exceptional coffee. The quiet and unassuming young couple there really seem to know their beans..., it seemed to me.
So now I say..., do yourselves a favor..., try the coffee at Ma Chill, it's on Sridonchi Rd. not far down(150 mtrs), on the left from S/E corner of the moat/wall. It's a very quiet place...., and I'll say right now that it was the best I've supped in CM and maybe even anywhere..., yes, that's big call.
Please seek them out and get back to me..., I would be interested to hear other peoples views ?
default_wai.gif 

Yes nice place but I didn't care for their hot black americano

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

7 hours ago, balo said:

But if they want customers they need to operate normally , they were closed today. Nothing mentioned , the door was open but one of the staff told me the guy working there would not be back.  Then I asked when they will open tomorrow and they didn't have a clue . Very unprofessional .  I was looking forward to test the coffee. So I had to walk back to Hom and enjoy another 25 baht coffee. 

I already posted their trip advisor account which has their hours listed top right.

12-6pm.

Tuesday closed.

Posting their exact opening hours on trip advisor let's anyone know, and that is professional.

The people you talked to are not the coffee shop owner, so why should they know everything ?

If HOM are closed one day and I ask the restaurant next door, and they don't know any info on opening that day or the next, is HOM by extension unprofessional ? No.

Edited by freedomnow

6 hours ago, flare said:

I attempted to try Ma-Chill this morning, but, despite their posted opening time of 8:00am, the place wasn't open at 8:27am with no signs of life inside.  So, to whomever recommend the place, it's all your fault...;)

Bugger..., Chiang Mai rubber time I'm guessing..., oh well..., maybe have double shots, if you try there again ;-) 
Sorry to hear that.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I was in the area anyway, so it wasn't a big deal- I thought something might be up when I got a spot right in front...  I'll try it again another day, but I like my coffee early, so hopefully today's late opening was an aberration and not the norm.

Sandy most likely got the idea from me to go to Ma-Chill Coffee. Hands down, best coffee in Chiang Mai and I have been nearly to every shop here posted. Ma-Chills coffee is not 'cheap Charlie coffee' (60-80 baht a coffee), but for those that love coffee like I do, and like myself, visited hundreds of coffee shops all around the world, this shop is up with the best I have tasted. He completes a coffee called a 'Monochrome'. Cold milk with espresso dripped over the top of the milk in a shot. The texture and taste of the beans are just so good from his coffee press; it blows my mind every time.

I have seen the owner of Ma Chill pull coffee shots and throw them out at they were not to his liking on the pour. He loves coffee, his job and his shop. I will drive from San Kamphaeng with my wife every second or third day just to have a coffee from here. The shop is closed on Wednesdays and he can be a little tardy in the mornings. I always go after 9.

15 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I already posted their trip advisor account which has their hours listed top right.

12-6pm.

They were closed after 12 and it was not a Tuesday !  Maybe the guy was sick who knows. The staff were the people from the guest house, I guess  they are sharing the business. But only one person operating the coffee shop is not a good sign.

But don't worry , I'll be back again to try this amazing coffee. 

8 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Sandy most likely got the idea from me to go to Ma-Chill Coffee. Hands down, best coffee in Chiang Mai and I have been nearly to every shop here posted. Ma-Chills coffee is not 'cheap Charlie coffee' (60-80 baht a coffee), but for those that love coffee like I do, and like myself, visited hundreds of coffee shops all around the world, this shop is up with the best I have tasted. He completes a coffee called a 'Monochrome'. Cold milk with espresso dripped over the top of the milk in a shot. The texture and taste of the beans are just so good from his coffee press; it blows my mind every time.

I have seen the owner of Ma Chill pull coffee shots and throw them out at they were not to his liking on the pour. He loves coffee, his job and his shop. I will drive from San Kamphaeng with my wife every second or third day just to have a coffee from here. The shop is closed on Wednesdays and he can be a little tardy in the mornings. I always go after 9.

Yes, we (GF and I) originally went to Ma Chill on 'totally thaied up's' recommendation...., we were very happy we did....., we discussed how we place a value on our morning coffee experience..., but we didn't want to use the 'CC' epithet because we believed the various coffee's we've had at MC been worth it for us. We really liked the food also. 
Thanks t t u :wai:

Edited by Sandy Freckle

If you happen to be at Airport Plaza,head on up to the third 3rd flr. from the aquarium side of the mall and you will see a sit down style coffee kiosk called Fang Coffee.They are a small chain operation....nowhere else have I been given a large FULL cup of strong hot black coffee like this for 40b.

Also a small independent bean seller with a micro-shop just pass the Royal Flora at the corner heading to Doi Kham temple. Their coffee is called Lapado and the beans are from Mae Wang area. Surprisingly Good!

There's my 2-beans worth. Cheers

6 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

If you happen to be at Airport Plaza,head on up to the third 3rd flr. from the aquarium side of the mall and you will see a sit down style coffee kiosk called Fang Coffee.They are a small chain operation....nowhere else have I been given a large FULL cup of strong hot black coffee like this for 40b.

Nice one, if i go there I'd usually just grab the Brazil espresso on the aquarium floor on the corridor to the car park.

One to try.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:46 PM, freedomnow said:

Ok I went to Ramida today , I tried a cup of flat white with one shot of espresso for 30 baht.  It was delicious. It was a great after taste , strong enough , no bitterness , it was almost perfect.   I have to rate it very high , 9 out of 10 .   

Hom coffee is slightly cheaper and the coffee is good but not perfect.  But Hom offer a view out on a busy street , offer more chairs and I feel more relaxed sitting there.   

But Ramida will be my new favourite place if I'm in the area . The guy working there really knows his stuff. It's very easy to miss Ramida if you're walking down the soi. Look for Ramida guesthouse on the right side , the coffee shop is out in the front.   

27 minutes ago, balo said:

Ok I went to Ramida today , I tried a cup of flat white with one shot of espresso for 30 baht.  It was delicious. It was a great after taste , strong enough , no bitterness , it was almost perfect.   I have to rate it very high , 9 out of 10 .   

Hom coffee is slightly cheaper and the coffee is good but not perfect.  But Hom offer a view out on a busy street , offer more chairs and I feel more relaxed sitting there.   

But Ramida will be my new favourite place if I'm in the area . The guy working there really knows his stuff. It's very easy to miss Ramida if you're walking down the soi. Look for Ramida guesthouse on the right side , the coffee shop is out in the front.   

Yep, more people watching on the moat. His is a pro barista with a variable opening time.

12.15 onwards and 12.30 onwards for sure most days.

Espresso on the rocks at 20 baht reveals a dark berry taste. I could not believe it as I was expecting only bitterness.

The quirkiest selection is machiato - it is literally less than a teaspoon ! But all the rest are perfect. Singleshots are really 1.5 shots vs other places and double shots are triple shots elsewhere.

It is a crying shame that he is unknown, he is great at everything except marketing...so I thought I'd add it in another coffee thread on TV.

He is 17th of 200 coffee shops in Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor so fingers crossed he gets some more exposure and reviews.

Edited by freedomnow