Where is the best coffee place in CM (not Starbucks or chains)

balo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The drip coffee at Butter is better diner is excellent value. Perfect strong taste .

Only 45 baht . And you'll get a big cup! 

It's an American place , no British breakfasts available. 

But the coffee IS great ! Also their cakes. Highly recommended. 

www.butterisbetterbakery.com/

2017_02_01_10_01_12.jpg

Edited by balo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread the missus and I have expanded our coffee horizons and have recently tried Akha Ama in Santhitham Pacamara in the old town. Both were a bit toothless for both of us. My local (Doctor Gen on Sirimangkalajarn) is still the best I've had recently (followed not too far behind by SS1254372 Cafe) but it would be nice to find a place that actually does hot coffee...

On 2/20/2017 at 2:25 PM, dukeandduke said:

Ristr8to works for me if I can get a seat at the location on Nimman.  It gets packed.  It must be in some tour books.

Ristr8tto IS great, but bit pricey. I think their Devil Latte was 108 and indistinguishable from Ramida's 35 Baht one.

I like their new place on the back street vs the Nimman dark wood smoke belch frenetic shophouse.

There is a new coffee place (actually upgraded older coffee place) right behind Phrah Singh temple - 45-60 Baht, very good actually...on corner of 'after-school study street' that goes to west moat gate if that helps....

Another one probably buried in older threads is the coffee shop in Rimping near airport plaza. Great pro coffee...

Going to try small place called Artisan Coffee right across from giant YMCA place in Santitham...there is another great coffee shop in that street...has a VW Beetle outside the designer boutique hotel/coffee shop....get to YMCA Santitham and you'd find both within 50 metres of YMCA.

Edited by freedomnow

Has anyone tried any of the coffee shops across from Ruamchoke Plaza?  There are some interesting-looking places, but it's a bit far from me to head out to try them without a recommendation (apologies if one or more of them have been mentioned earlier in the thread),

• 1 month later...

A new coffee shop has opened in Airport central plaza! And it's very good coffee as I found out today. It is located next to the entrance in front of the free shuttle bus service.

Pangkhon coffee is the name and they sell their own brand of whole coffee beans., I ordered a hot latte and the espresso they used tasted very good . 65 baht for a small cup and 70 for a big cup, not sure why they would offer a small cup for only 5 baht less. 

So not the cheapest coffee but the location is perfect and very comfy chairs and air-con inside. So check them out next time you're in the area. 

20170402_153125.jpg

20170402_153139.jpg

20170402_153117.jpg

Edited by balo

Ok I have to mention this new coffee place Roastniyom Coffee, located in Sridonchai Rd, around 400 meters from the moat. Big air-conditioned place with nice chairs , and now here comes the best part, the coffee. 

It's perfect , I asked for a flat white and you'll get 2 shots of espresso , gives you a strong but perfect taste .

For 60 baht I will rate this coffee on the top of the scale. If you happen to be in the area check them out. They offer plenty of different drinks and cakes as well. Very popular place already , it's full of customers.  My new favourite place for sure. 

20170410_135902.jpg8

17 hours ago, balo said:

Ok I have to mention this new coffee place Roastniyom Coffee, located in Sridonchai Rd, around 400 meters from the moat. Big air-conditioned place with nice chairs , and now here comes the best part, the coffee. 

It's perfect , I asked for a flat white and you'll get 2 shots of espresso , gives you a strong but perfect taste .

For 60 baht I will rate this coffee on the top of the scale. If you happen to be in the area check them out. They offer plenty of different drinks and cakes as well. Very popular place already , it's full of customers.  My new favourite place for sure. 

20170410_135902.jpg8

Not really a new place, but the carot cake cup cakes are quite nice.

On 4/10/2017 at 2:29 PM, balo said:

20170410_135902.jpg8

It is just OK - you'll note it has an after-taste that is not so nice/bitter unless the flat white is masking it vs latte.

However I recently found my personal best coffee in CM after 5 years.....only 40 baht and fullest body coffee I've had yet.

In MAYA in front of RIMPING at side exit...also it is ORGANIC coffee to boot so no nasty banned chemicals saturated into the beans...I'd say on a good cup it even kicks ristr8tto in the ****s.

Edited by freedomnow

.....and 2 of the 3 baristas outside Hillkoff Chang Puak can make a killer latte.

The best full body/non-sour bean is called the City Mocha bean for latte.

The only element at Hillkoff front entrance is the coffee is very inconsistent based on barista/bean of the day sliding from an

'OH WOW ! 10/10'

to

'MEEEEEH 7/10' taste.

49 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

In MAYA in front of RIMPING at side exit...also it is ORGANIC coffee

I noticed that place but it always looked empty of customers when I passed it.  I will try it next time I am at Maya which is only twice per year .

On 3/1/2017 at 6:42 AM, flare said:

Has anyone tried any of the coffee shops across from Ruamchoke Plaza?  There are some interesting-looking places, but it's a bit far from me to head out to try them without a recommendation (apologies if one or more of them have been mentioned earlier in the thread),

I like the Coffee at Meechok next to the back of Rimping .It may be called Coffee bus or similar .

37 minutes ago, anto said:

I like the Coffee at Meechok next to the back of Rimping .It may be called Coffee bus or similar .

I agree that's a decent place, but there are several newer coffee shops across the road in the strip mall that I was referring to- I need to head over there and test them out.;)

I can tell you where not to go!

Went to Coffee Smith Star Av 5 on the Hangdong road this morning.

Overpriced, Cappuccino way too strong and barely warm. Whole place smelled of mold and the tables were dirty, apart that it was great

1507621.GIF

34 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Overpriced, Cappuccino way too strong and barely warm. Whole place smelled of mold and the tables were dirty, apart that it was great

1507621.GIF

It's always a bit of a risk ordering a cappuccino at coffee shop you have never been to before. Plenty of duff cappuccinos out there. There should be a word for it. That feeling you get after the first sip of a terrible cappuccino. 

3 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

It's always a bit of a risk ordering a cappuccino at coffee shop you have never been to before. Plenty of duff cappuccinos out there. There should be a word for it. That feeling you get after the first sip of a terrible cappuccino. 

Crappuccino? 1508537.GIF

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

1507621.GIF

Anyone who would call their coffee shop "Coffee Smith" deserves to go broke,woeful imagination or is it a franchise ?

Did stop by there a while ago,way too expensive ,no ambience or architectural plusses,walked out and went to our close by favourite

Coffee de Candle.

Sitting under the canopy of shade trees next to the pond with misters and well priced food and yes they do sell candles produced from their own factory next door

Edited by Sparkles

Wow! Considering the incredible number of defamatory comments lister on this thread, i find it very odd that the mods (the incredible mods!) have not closed it down.

And the best coffee by far is Nescafe instant drunk at home with lots of sugar and full cream cow milk. 

It's a shame to hear Coffee Smith still hasn't gotten their act together (I like 24-hour places as I can stop at them before early morning rides).  I went a couple times when they first opened and were offering 2-for-1 deals (when it was easier to overlook their flaws), but haven't stopped by in a few months.