Can Bangkok Curb Prostitution? And Should It?

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It’s clear many officials and law enforcement have turned a blind eye for decades."?????????????????

Who writes this stuff??????????????

Officials and law enforcement (Police) make a good income from the prostitution and they are never going to give up that income.
It will take a hell of Government officials to change that.
But most officials who want the change that will end up having "a little bathroom accident".

"It’s clear many officials and law enforcement have turned a blind eye for decades."?????????????????

Who writes this stuff??????????????

Officials and law enforcement (Police) make a good income from the prostitution and they are never going to give up that income.
It will take a hell of Government officials to change that.
But most officials who want the change that will end up having "a little bathroom accident".

How about a poll asking Pattaya's middle aged single male tourists how many temples and cultural attractions and events they visited during their 3 week vacation?

How about asking yourself how you would feel if your home country was famous for sex tourism?

I'd love it and would never have moved here dude along with 95% of expats lol

Yeah Holland springs to mind, !!

Blokes didn't go there as horticulturists. and windmill spotters!! :D

Edited by Holy Cinema

I'm sure that one day the Politically Correct hypocritical puritans will 'get their way' and see the likes of Nana Plaza, Patpong, Soi Cowboy etc. be the focus of yet another 'crackdown' . Though you can rest assured that when the 'scene' overspills into the mainstream, the screams for such places to be returned to their former glory will be heard from all corners from these 'pillars of society' who don't like their 'cultural evenings' disturbed by having 'fat old blokes with younger Thai women' in their eyeline as they listen to Ambient house jazz while sipping their chilled sancerre and oysters....

It's a pointless debate really for due to the huge sums of money involved at all levels, the macro economy (not too mention the 'untouchable' high level people who do very well out of the scene) it is going nowhere. Close the 'traditional areas' down and new ones will spring up overnight, like in a cartoon where a character is trying to put out a fire and a new one pops up....

How about a poll asking Pattaya's middle aged single male tourists how many temples and cultural attractions and events they visited during their 3 week vacation?

How about asking yourself how you would feel if your home country was famous for sex tourism?

I would take some pride in knowing my country upholds individual liberties.

Obviously, people would come visit for things they cannot get in their home countries, and I would feel for them being miserable there.

There is such thing as sexual misery. Sex tourism is the answer.

Or what is your solution to sexual misery?

I think you have the wrong focus by looking only at Nana, Patpong Silom and other areas.
Start by looking at the smalltown brothels with the trafficked Lao, Burmese and hilltribe girls - that is where you could really make a difference. But of course no tourists venture there - it is only the local boys.

Or is it all about preserving face and tell the world "you take prosititution serious" but you honestly couldn't care less about the prostitutes?

Thais have the amazing ability not to be concerned about its major problems and it sure isnt prostitution.

Education is totaly absent in this country unless the family has money to send their children to an international school or a top rating Thai school.

Why do they thing that the biggest proportion of sex workers come from Isaan, the most educationally,poorest deprived area in the country.

Thailand is at the foot of the ladder in Asia for academic achievement and they still dont get it.Google it ,it's shameful.

Having read some of this thread if whores are selling sex for 2500 baht an hour to foreigners they will kill it off all by themselves, good job too.

Spot on.

That is very much the consensus between my 'monger' pals.

For many years I regularly had around 30-40 visitors a year, mainly pals from home who would stop in BKK for a few days en-route to Pattaya or even linger in BKK a while, but now they just zip right through to the Pips or Cambodia, sometimes stopping for a day or two in BKK to 'break the journey'.

When I ask why they are making so short a stay, the reply is always the same.

One Aussie pal tells me he can get a night of booze and nookie at home for way, way less than he can in Bangkok nowadays.

Long, long gone are the days when a good night out followed by a 'good night in' could be had for 100GBP (6-7000THB).

Is that a good or a bad thing?

I'm not going to pontificate though I'll say some of the best nights I've had out in Thailand have been in these 'nefarious' areas, some of the best people I've known in Thailand I've met in such areas, plus I spent many of my formative years in Thailand in such areas so I have a great affection for them.

While some of the 'culture vulture illuminati' like to sneer at such affection as it doesn't share the same imagined sophistication as their 'HiSo' night clubs/jazz clubs/wine bars cheesy.gif etc, for me, and I'm sure for many they were a great 'nursery' to expat life in Thailand if you will.

i would be happy and proud - would be a clear signal it is not only old hags, bags and goats in the country

What's up with these politicians and their brainfarts, it's so unrealistic.

This minister needs to get out of her ivory HiSo tower and get into the world, face reality and understand world's oldest profession cannot be banned. People don't come here for the temples, if you've seen one you've seen them all.

I doubt she has even done some type of scenario analysis for what happens to the millions of people who are directly or indirectly benefiting from the sex industry.

they see lots of them, twice each.

Through the window of the bus from Ekemai, and then through the window of the bus back to Ekemai.

Would not bother me in the slightest.

Prostitution isn't going anywhere. Especially in a country like Thailand with poverty and corruption. Also, define what prostitution really is? A lot of the locals don't seem to understand themselves.

I was on a dating site recently and a local girl messaged me. The usual "Hello, how are you?" We go back and forth a few times and eventually swap Line adds. So, the Line conversation starts as normal. I asked where she lives and she said 'Sukhumvit 22'. Now, I'm not one to judge but that raised a red flag. She was a cute girl so I asked her "What are you looking for?". She said friends and hopefully a boyfriend. Okay, great.

Eventually, we go onto what her job was. She works in a massage shop 'on' Sukhumvit 22. Alarm bells going off again. "Okaaaay......" I said. "Would you like a massage?" she asked. I play dumb and just say I don't like Thai massage 'cos it's too painful. "I can give you a sexy massage" she says "Sexy?" I ask. "Sure, but you have to pay me 500 Baht" she replied.

Eventually, she says we can have sex. 1 hour for 2,500 Baht. (She wasn't direct because she was trying to make it seem like it was my idea) Now, I have nothing against prostitution or girls and boys who sell sex for money. God bless, but be safe. I simply told her that's not what I'm looking for. "Oh. you want sex for free!!!" she says. "Ehm, I didn't mention anything about sex. You did" I said. "Why farang come to Thailand and think can have sex with Thai lady for free!" she said. I just told her politely that we are on two completely different tracks. I'm not getting into this conversation.

Anywho, she saw sex as something to be sold. She didn't see anything wrong in that (and who am I to say she's wrong). For me, it simply doesn't appeal. Sex as a business deal simply isn't sexy for me. Quite the opposite. To each their own, but trying to really stop prostitution would be as successful as the war on drugs. Don't condemn people for doing it -actually find out why they do it.

You must be a minister or priest, not wanting sex. On second thought, if you were a priest the story would be about a boy, not a girl !

Or perhaps he's someone who wants to have sex with someone who wants to have sex with him, not for money but just because they want to have sex.

Most people want sex, but some of us want a bit more out of a relationship and don't want to just pay for sex.

Sex with a girlfriend that doesn't cost money is much better than sex with a hooker where you are paying for them to pretend to like you.

I think you have the wrong focus by looking only at Nana, Patpong Silom and other areas.

Start by looking at the smalltown brothels with the trafficked Lao, Burmese and hilltribe girls - that is where you could really make a difference. But of course no tourists venture there - it is only the local boys.

Or is it all about preserving face and tell the world "you take prosititution serious" but you honestly couldn't care less about the prostitutes?

Thread is about Bangkok and the ministers comments were about sex tourism, but people will go off into other areas that nobody has suggested dealing with. Bangkok should continue with cleaning up the cess pit that lower Sukhumvit has become. They should start by closing down every filthy hole in 7/11 to issue a warning to others to get out before they are closed down for good. Then move onto NP and SC. People who think it could not be done for stepping on the toes of the big boys are delusional, if you can take over a whole country you can close down 100 or so tatty brothels and sex bars.

legalize it, remove all the corruption involved with it now, set standards/regulations and enforce them. This would remove a lot of the corrupt people behind it now, stop the current harassment by the police etc to be paid to look the other way and also give the "girls" better security. Thailand has to accept they are one of the biggest sex countries in the world whether they want to or not, by legalizing it they will remove the stigma that comes for the corrupt side and by regulating it they will naturally clean it up. If they dont have to fork out all the money they do now to stop them being raided or closed down it will be better all round for the girls and their customers. Banning the sex trade all together is bullsh*t and will never work, time for the prudes to take a step back and to face reality.

Great idea! Criminalize it, we need more pimps and street prostitution.

When they cracked down on it in Amsterdam the hookers just went online. Now instead of brothels or "windows" with panic buttons the women can ring and have security respond if they feel threatened by a client, they receive their clients at their apartments or meet them at hotels.

It's much less safe for the women, and their clients. No oversight for checking ID's or STD checks, no control to make sure the tax man gets his money.

Tax it, regulate it, prosecute human traffickers and pimps, limit the profession to adults and that's all they need to do.

Many of us would probably be still living at home with no complaints if that were the case. :)

I'm sure I'm not the only here who distinctly remembers that, shortly after he was first elected, Thaksin went on a Virtue Crusade. As far as I remember, after a year or so of shuffling air and showing muscle, things were back to 'normal', except that brown envelopes were now passing into new hands.

Isn't it interesting that, no matter what their political inclination is, politicians with a big ego love to have a go at the question of sex ?

I'm not saying that all is fine and dandy in the Thai sex-trade, but this is not about fighting crime or curbing excesses, it's about controlling the people and telling them what their sexual life should be like, what they can do and not do, even between consenting adults. To my knowledge, there is no exception in history.

They can curb Prostitution in Bangkok as they have done this quite successfully in the past. In the 60's and 70's Bangkok was the Capital Sin City of the World, until they started closing places down and forcing them to move out to Pattaya.

So I don't doubt they can keep Prostitution down in Bangkok, but as far as the rest of the country I don't think they are fully committed in doing that. Too much economics involved here which I am sure they are considering. But if that is truly there goal then I suppose anything is possible.

I would take some pride in knowing my country upholds individual liberties.

Obviously, people would come visit for things they cannot get in their home countries, and I would feel for them being miserable there.

There is such thing as sexual misery. Sex tourism is the answer.

Or what is your solution to sexual misery?

So you would take pride in the fact that the female population of your home country was portrayed as been hookers?

Now don't retract on your statement, because that is exactly how the female population of Thailand is pictured in the west.

Edited by Berty100

Many of us would probably be still living at home with no complaints if that were the case. smile.png

Every Western country as far as I'm aware has a limited amount of brothels with prostitutes of any nationality, including Thai, you can think about. So for paid sex you don't need to cross your countries borders

I am beginning to think it would be best if they just did it. We can speculate how much it would hurt the economy but let's see it. Get on with it let's see the attempt at cleaning it up. Don't beat around the bush. I thought about the regulate it idea but if I were a hooker the last thing I would want is these sort of people getting into the middle of my cash transactions. So just drive it under ground cost everybody a lot of money and let the punters and johns save money when they no longer spend at the gogos.

The free lancers online are much cheaper anyway. Nothing would be better financially for the johns than a huge amount of desperate hoes. We may see ST go back to 500 Baht if the minister plays it right. Crack down on foreigners buying land in a Thai name just to permanently stomp out this problem and save everybody a lot of money and pain.

Whatever the estimate of foreign money is estimated to be in the sex trade we all know it is a loss whatever the case is. It is just how bad will the bleeding be. I approve wholeheartedly.

I also find it kind of odd that gay prostitution is never mentioned officially just ladyboys and girls. I guess in the Thai mentality all gay people are ladyboys anyway so I may be mistaken on this point. They never specifically mention men however.

Leave it alone, it seems to be self-regulating right now.

Ban it, Pattaya will probably look like a ghost town.

Sure, lots of 'quality' tourists go to Pattaya... Mostly from China... But a lot of the establishments will just shut down as insufficient clientele. This will perpetuate more and more establishments to close down, turning into a ghost town.

Can't see Walking Street, half of Soi Bukhao, Soi 7 really being around if their main trade is cancelled. A few discos might survive, but who wants to go to Walking Street when there's 3 discos and 300 closed shops?

Of course its their country, to do with as they please. But I very much doubt Pattaya will prosper if such a decision is made.

Bangkok will be fine of course as the industry is not nearly as large there to the extent that full closure would have far less collateral damage.

Many of us would probably be still living at home with no complaints if that were the case. smile.png

Every Western country as far as I'm aware has a limited amount of brothels with prostitutes of any nationality, including Thai, you can think about. So for paid sex you don't need to cross your countries borders

They are expensive in comparison. You are also under estimating the power of yellow fever.