New 2016 Toyota Fortuner VS Ford Everest

On 8/13/2016 at 9:52 PM, Seizetheday said:

I hope your previous  1,320 odd posts were more informed than this one. The current Fortuner is about one year old, not 10.

The reality is that Thais prefer Toyota to Ford. Toyotas maintain their value better than Ford.

Who would have known lol. the damn thing in the showroom looks just the same as the 10 year old model.

I think the thing about Thais preferring Toyota is becoming a bit old. I have checked the second hand price for example Pickups with the same specs from Isuzu, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda and they all have roughly the same price as new. I checked the market price for 5 consecutive years for each one of them and they all drop about 15 - 20% the first 2 years and then it is about 3 - 5 % a year for each one of them, in the end the second hand prices are roughly the same for all of them after 4 - 5 years.

However, I agree that the Toyota and Isuzu are easier to sell for the market price while Ford and Chevrolet probably is a harder sale.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took delivery of my EVT+ about three weeks ago and I am blown away by the build quality and design. Ford, to me, is an everyman’s marque but they have pulled out the stops on this vehicle and put it near the premium bracket.  Comparable to a Fortuner or Pajero or Trailblazer?  Not at all. It is so much better.  To me, the Fortuner build quality is a much lower standard, the doors feel like balsa wood compared to the EV and the drive quality tells you you're in a truck.  To a Prado, only on 4x4 terms I would think, as many reviews have said the Prado floats and wallows on tarmac. Butt ugly too.

The ride comfort and quality in the EV is that good.  Driving in the city or in the highway is superb.  Brakes are excellent.  I read on a few reviews they were soft and spongy but this is not the case. Good with slow and fast speed.  The Pre Collision Assist does not have Active Braking though.  It does in Australia but not here, no idea why but the screen warning flashes with scooters and pedestrians, which is nice.

I was initially drawn by the tech side of things but driving it kind of negates them.  The tech, however, is very good.  The best for me is the Lane Departure and Active Cruise.  If you are going down a straight bit of road the EV can just about drive itself.  Although it has a canny knack of telling you to keep your hands on the wheel if you let go for even a couple of seconds...  Sync2 is very nice too.  Can stream music from Deezer and Tidal, allow Google Maps voice navigation, control a whole host of vehicle settings and has good screen size.  The perimeter sensors are great, they show on the main screen: front, back and down the sides but if you get a load of scooters next to you at the traffic lights the thing goes off like a Christmas Tree.  The only thing I would change is the cross traffic alert warning.  It flashes on the dashboard right hand side LCD.  It should be on the main screen I think. Self-parking is natty but takes a bit too long to find a space, adjust, park etc. and I prefer to park it myself.  The new Focus has perpendicular parking, that’s something that would be interesting to use and see.

The power from the 3.2 is huge.  I have just run mine in and put the manual sports shift through its paces the other day.  Going from 3rd to 4th is exhilarating.  Outright speed doesn't come into it, however, the torque is just beautiful. I have also just got back from Khao Yai and went up to the highest view point.  The road was steep, gravelly, wet and winding.  The Terrain Management was set to Grass/Gravel/Snow mode and handled it very well.  Hill Descent on the way down was effortless.  The good thing about it is that if you hit a not so steep bit you just hit the accelerator, speed up then let it take over when it gets steep again.

The interior is definitely better than most people say.  Yes, there are a few hard plastics but I think Ford are going for an upmarket Defender vibe and not a Range Rover comparison.  The seats are comfortable, great steering wheel feel, everything set out in the right places, it’s a nice place to be as a passenger and an even better one as a driver. I am not a fuel watcher but I got 9.4lL/100km going up north.

Did I mention build quality?  In a word, fantastic, tough, awesome, amazing...  Ok, ok, four words.  But it is tip top.  Every part feels as though you could put it through a wringer and it will still come out the same.  The back wheel arches are covered in, what I can only describe as the anti-splash coating you get in ovens.  The mud just doesn’t stick to it.  A nice bit of attention to detail.  Ford should have put it on the front wheel arches but maybe the engine heat has something to do with it.

I could go on and on about it, which I have done to my wife who is now insanely bored, but to answer your original question: New 2016 Toyota Fortuner VS Ford Everest…  The champ is definitely the Everest and will be for some time, even if all the others got the same tech I doubt very much they could match the ride quality and overall build.

10 minutes ago, mangrovevens said:

Took delivery of my EVT+ about three weeks ago and I am blown away by the build quality and design. Ford, to me, is an everyman’s marque but they have pulled out the stops on this vehicle and put it near the premium bracket.  Comparable to a Fortuner or Pajero or Trailblazer?  Not at all. It is so much better.  To me, the Fortuner build quality is a much lower standard, the doors feel like balsa wood compared to the EV and the drive quality tells you you're in a truck.  To a Prado, only on 4x4 terms I would think, as many reviews have said the Prado floats and wallows on tarmac. Butt ugly too.

The ride comfort and quality in the EV is that good.  Driving in the city or in the highway is superb.  Brakes are excellent.  I read on a few reviews they were soft and spongy but this is not the case. Good with slow and fast speed.  The Pre Collision Assist does not have Active Braking though.  It does in Australia but not here, no idea why but the screen warning flashes with scooters and pedestrians, which is nice.

I was initially drawn by the tech side of things but driving it kind of negates them.  The tech, however, is very good.  The best for me is the Lane Departure and Active Cruise.  If you are going down a straight bit of road the EV can just about drive itself.  Although it has a canny knack of telling you to keep your hands on the wheel if you let go for even a couple of seconds...  Sync2 is very nice too.  Can stream music from Deezer and Tidal, allow Google Maps voice navigation, control a whole host of vehicle settings and has good screen size.  The perimeter sensors are great, they show on the main screen: front, back and down the sides but if you get a load of scooters next to you at the traffic lights the thing goes off like a Christmas Tree.  The only thing I would change is the cross traffic alert warning.  It flashes on the dashboard right hand side LCD.  It should be on the main screen I think. Self-parking is natty but takes a bit too long to find a space, adjust, park etc. and I prefer to park it myself.  The new Focus has perpendicular parking, that’s something that would be interesting to use and see.

The power from the 3.2 is huge.  I have just run mine in and put the manual sports shift through its paces the other day.  Going from 3rd to 4th is exhilarating.  Outright speed doesn't come into it, however, the torque is just beautiful. I have also just got back from Khao Yai and went up to the highest view point.  The road was steep, gravelly, wet and winding.  The Terrain Management was set to Grass/Gravel/Snow mode and handled it very well.  Hill Descent on the way down was effortless.  The good thing about it is that if you hit a not so steep bit you just hit the accelerator, speed up then let it take over when it gets steep again.

The interior is definitely better than most people say.  Yes, there are a few hard plastics but I think Ford are going for an upmarket Defender vibe and not a Range Rover comparison.  The seats are comfortable, great steering wheel feel, everything set out in the right places, it’s a nice place to be as a passenger and an even better one as a driver. I am not a fuel watcher but I got 9.4lL/100km going up north.

Did I mention build quality?  In a word, fantastic, tough, awesome, amazing...  Ok, ok, four words.  But it is tip top.  Every part feels as though you could put it through a wringer and it will still come out the same.  The back wheel arches are covered in, what I can only describe as the anti-splash coating you get in ovens.  The mud just doesn’t stick to it.  A nice bit of attention to detail.  Ford should have put it on the front wheel arches but maybe the engine heat has something to do with it.

I could go on and on about it, which I have done to my wife who is now insanely bored, but to answer your original question: New 2016 Toyota Fortuner VS Ford Everest…  The champ is definitely the Everest and will be for some time, even if all the others got the same tech I doubt very much they could match the ride quality and overall build.

Owning benz im hardly impressed with build quality :D

On 13/08/2016 at 9:52 PM, Seizetheday said:

I hope your previous  1,320 odd posts were more informed than this one. The current Fortuner is about one year old, not 10.

The reality is that Thais prefer Toyota to Ford. Toyotas maintain their value better than Ford.

I think he means that even though Toyota are saying the new Fortuner (and Revo) are 'all new' they are in fact using a modified version of the chassis that they've been using for the last decade.

It seems he either can't write very well or doesn't know that the Everest is a modified Ranger. Not sure which.

On August 15, 2016 at 1:26 PM, transam said:

BUT, this is LOS, if you have a problem with any of those gizmo's, let us know how you get on with LOS Ford...

I was thinking the same thing, LOL

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I think he means that even though Toyota are saying the new Fortuner (and Revo) are 'all new' they are in fact using a modified version of the chassis that they've been using for the last decade.

It seems he either can't write very well or doesn't know that the Everest is a modified Ranger. Not sure which.

No, the new Fortuner in indeed an upgrade. The Revo is, in fact, a new model Hilux.  

On 8/16/2016 at 4:11 PM, JaseTheBass said:

And from the front looks identical to the Ranger, bulbous and old fashioned in my opinion, not a patch on the futuristic Pajero.

42 minutes ago, MYKTHEMIN said:

And from the front looks identical to the Ranger, bulbous and old fashioned in my opinion, not a patch on the futuristic Pajero.

Actually, from an owner who has had one for nine months now, I agree that it has a bulbous look and the Pajero does look somewhat futurestic in comparrision. And it doesn't have gps.

Having said that ... 'Car of the Year' is okay and a good choice.

On 16/08/2016 at 9:20 PM, fullcave said:

No, the new Fortuner in indeed an upgrade. The Revo is, in fact, a new model Hilux.  

Yes, both the pickup and the SUV are upgrades, but both still use a modified version of the chassis that the previous models used.

I will stick with the Pajero thank you rather than a bulbous tank. car of the year yer right?? how much was in the brown envelope?? wait until you want to sell it, droped like a brick, I don't care about asking prices just sold prices.

2 minutes ago, MYKTHEMIN said:

I will stick with the Pajero thank you rather than a bulbous tank. car of the year yer right?? how much was in the brown envelope?? wait until you want to sell it, droped like a brick, I don't care about asking prices just sold prices.

Not everyone is a car dealer like you appear to be. Most buy a car because they want a good car to drive, good tech or safety features.

You obviously haven't driven an Everest, so are happy in your ignorance. Fair play.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Not everyone is a car dealer like you appear to be. Most buy a car because they want a good car to drive, good tech or safety features.

You obviously haven't driven an Everest, so are happy in your ignorance. Fair play.

Now give this guy his due ... no he isn't a car dealer but in his time he was internationally known for preparing racing mini's, engine development and was quite successful. He is exceptionally anti-Ford, guess there is some history.

I'm well past all that, wanting great feel in the steering etc. Am I worried about the 2nd hand price ... personally no,  as I'm very happy with the EVT+ and have a five year warranty and don't plan to get rid of it after that anyway... hopefully I'm still above ground then ... but maybe not. Mrs Jas likes it. The parallel parking, for me living near BK is an asset and I like the lightness.   No built in gps is a nuisance ... I'll have to fork out for something ... Maps is fine but Mrs Jas isn't the worlds best at it ...could save my marriage :whistling:

We all have our preference ... top of range Tuner or EVT+ ... has the OP made up his mind yet.... :)

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Now give this guy his due ... no he isn't a car dealer but in his time he was internationally known for preparing racing mini's, engine development and was quite successful. He is exceptionally anti-Ford, guess there is some history.

Yes, you would expect him to have a clue, but...

just test drived Pajero, Everest 2WD, Nissan X-trial, Isuzu MU X

Pajero and Isuzu was the worst experiences.

In pajero you have to use force to turn steering wheel, and suspension is very soft, feels underpowered too.

Everest nice drive, but poor gadgets, no gps.

Fortuner DVD + gps 

2 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

just test drived Pajero, Everest 2WD, Nissan X-trial, Isuzu MU X

Pajero and Isuzu was the worst experiences.

In pajero you have to use force to turn steering wheel, and suspension is very soft, feels underpowered too.

Everest nice drive, but poor gadgets, no gps.

Fortuner DVD + gps 

Have you tested the X-trail hybrid...worth a look. I posted something about a company that 'individualises' it in the last motor expo topic..looked smart

You might say I'm biased as I have an Everest 4wd but I don't understand the lack of gadgets comments. It does have a few; auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, voice control for climate, phone and music, auto tail gate, power back seats, double sunroof, cross traffic alert, terrain management etc. The lack of GPS is easily sorted as I have an aftermarket GPS incorporated into the  existing infotainment system which also includes projection of my phone onto the screen so I have google maps.

19 hours ago, transam said:

Seems like you need something/gizmo to control your ineptitude to control a vehicle........?

'Multiple saloon car champion, I don't think so. I can drive and feel evreything that it is doing.

correct gizmo's are a total waste of time in my opinion, if you need them better stop driving. and when, not if they fail, expect a huge bill especially with ford, sooner rather than later

35 minutes ago, MYKTHEMIN said:

'Multiple saloon car champion, I don't think so. I can drive and feel evreything that it is doing.

correct gizmo's are a total waste of time in my opinion, if you need them better stop driving. and when, not if they fail, expect a huge bill especially with ford, sooner rather than later

Honestly, I don't know how you could possibly live without voice control for climate,   rain sensing wipers, or  auto headlights...:D

24 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Honestly, I don't know how you could possibly live without voice control for climate,   rain sensing wipers, or  auto headlights...:D

Wow ...I didn't know it had all that ...nine months and I don't even sure if the radio works..suppose I'd better read the manual to see what to do ...now cruise control, I use that a lot.

My Everest will be a year old in October, we got one of the first 3.2 Titanium +. 23,000 kms on it, has not put a foot wrong. Have driven from Chiang Rai to Krabi, loved it. My only complaint would be the lack of GPS. Other than that, couldn't want for a nicer car.

Also have a 3.2 wildtrack ranger, 9 months old and again no issues.

Good service from Pak Chong and Saraburi dealers.

This is purely personal but I think the new Fortuner and Revo are damn ugly.

17 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Have you tested the X-trail hybrid...worth a look. I posted something about a company that 'individualises' it in the last motor expo topic..looked smart

Yes I did, drives better then Pajero, but experience is bit different, you would have to get used to it, my gf didnt like it.

But overall nice car I think.

Archived