the future of electric cars in Thai, a plan to buy a fossil fuel car should be postpone.

buying a car? fossil? wait? 5-10 years. Look at a Tesla case.

Thai gov. wanted to give special privilege to investors in BOI zone.

i start to list out the problems

1. the battery problems, charging duration is too long, costly

2. it's expensive than a fossil fuel car(Thailand import tax)

3. charging stations are not available

4. maintenance, this would need a different skill from a normal car

5. monopoly market from car makers

so in the next 5 years things should be clearer from the gov. policy.

the one who studies Petroleum should back off because there is a break future.

petrol selling price would be as low as 10 Baht

efficient production like tesla can bring the production cost down.

toyota is laying off redundant workers

all these are connected.

I'm gonna guess we might never see a Thai EV.. let alone in a few years because there are bigger and much faster growing AEC markets that are also heavily promoting EV plants to come in and that EV's don't need a good part of the existing Thai auto parts support which Thailand does have... but those are the business guys who don't want EV's for that very reason. I made this decision a little while back.... don't wait for electrics. I'm greener than Greenpeace but on this just go with what they make here now, Thai cars and trucks are okay deals.

Edited by maewang99

On 7/30/2016 at 10:34 AM, Buzzz said:

Why would you want a car when there are no gas stations or anyone to service them...and horses are cheaper...they used to say

a push bike would be more proper for a sustainable  transportation machine. just use your bread and rice energy.  Most Thais are bad at horse riding and have senseless in animal care.

On 7/30/2016 at 2:12 PM, maewang99 said:

I'm gonna guess we might never see a Thai EV.. let alone in a few years because there are bigger and much faster growing AEC markets that are also heavily promoting EV plants to come in and that EV's don't need a good part of the existing Thai auto parts support which Thailand does have... but those are the business guys who don't want EV's for that very reason. I made this decision a little while back.... don't wait for electrics. I'm greener than Greenpeace but on this just go with what they make here now, Thai cars and trucks are okay deals.

Instead of developing advanced EVs, Thai can do more on rail system as most of developed countries have that they connected to all major cities and  very efficient as a public transport.  it would cost more to begin but it is worth it and can avoid the serious traffic especially in BKK where people take their own cars to work place.  You mean "the business guys who don't want EV's" that is the well-known mono-petroleum corp.  This corp will die out as the rise of EV and they won't be number one who makes the top profit in Thai anymore. It is amazed that this corp is doing the same type of business as Petronas but a slightly different revenue figure subtracted from operating costs and etc is only half of Petronas. 

I think people should  consider and take time to analyze the situation when they really need to get a car/pick up truck in the long term 5-10 years from now on. if you really need to have a private vehicle just go for it and if you already have one or two please continue using it(them) until things are clear. 

A co-research from Thai-Jap named FOMM announced that they would produce a compact care costed 300,000 baht besides Thai gov is trying to get investors to their BOI.  Of course, I would prefer a dual rail-track than having too many EVs runing around and causes worse traffic condition.

as far as i know thailand do not make any of their own brand cars which is strange as they obviously have the technology. the best that they can hope for is to promote other manufacturers to come and make their EVs here. they will have to be pretty good however as my thai made mitsubishi pickup is an excellent vehicle. 600K thb brand new and very cheap to run. would have to be a pretty good EV to make me want to change over. 

EVs? I really do think it will be more than 5 years (probably a hell of a lot longer) before fossil fueled vehicles will be in the minority in Thailand. Who the hell will be able to afford them? Governments (past and present) cannot even control the flooding that happens every year. What chance they are going to build the infrastructure to successfully support mass use EVs? So long as my a** points to the ground, NIL  

Anymore readers of Alice in Wonderland? :coffee1:

I would like to see the Plug-in Prius Prime come to Thailand. Since Toyota already sells the original Prius in Thailand, they should also make the Prius Prime available as well. You can have a plug in station at your home which is great. Also since it runs on both gas and electric, this would be a boon until Thailand can get charging stations in place.

According to Toyota:

" A plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHV) is similar to Prius, but with a larger battery and more powerful motors that allow it to run much longer in full EV Mode. You are in control and able to use less gas if you choose to plug it in either at home, at work or at a public charging station. If you don’t want to plug it in, no problem, you can still drive the car in hybrid mode with great fuel economy. "

Who is addressing the problem with recharging these cars?  It takes power to recharge the battery and guess how the power is created?-yep fossil fuel. So how is this solving the problem? The upside is that the pollution created is confined to the power generating source so I guess that is a minor step forward.

Dr Robert,,, exactly correct.

A plugged in charging electric vehicle drawing power from an odd lignite burning power station only moves the pollution from one place to another & due to resistance & battery loss actually uses more energy.. If can charge using hydro power we are starting to get somewhere

Ask any child,,,

'' where does milk come from ''

reply, '' the bottle in the fridge ''

Ask a Thai or anyone for that matter,,

'' where does electricity come from ''

reply, '' the power point ''

electricity might be clean energy to use

but it's dirty as hell to produce,,

look it up. Many people just don't know.

it will be a while before Thailand moves away from fossil fuels to power the nation, so as one poster says it's just moving the clean fuel issue back to the starting point rather than the distribution/circulation point. EV's are still in their infancy and I don't see many Thai people having the funds to buy a Tesla and the fact that Tesla has taken on $10billion worth of orders with no money or infrastructure to build them presents it's own challenges to the company in terms of delivery to those people. Toyota are a world leader in terms of R&D into this type of vehicle so if anyone will release in Thailand they would probably be a frontrunner to do so. Here in the UK there are very few all electric vehicles on the road but the rise of Hybrids is continuing and the number of recharging points is starting to grow and grow...I've seen specific areas in motorway services car parks for recharging electric cars...

Reminds me when GPS's first came out. 
People said they'd never replace paper maps. 
Yeah right. 

Solar power also becoming much more advanced in the last 2-3 years. 
Battery storage is next. 

The world is changing,  

Sometimes for the better. 

On 8/1/2016 at 2:36 AM, GoDucks said:

Actually I'm working on a rather fun electric vehicle project with Siam Technology College. The first versions will use Porsche 356 replica bodies and should be available around the end of this year.

sounds interesting , are you building a chassis or using a VW one ?   VW gearbox ?

I drove a converted 1960s bug  in San Diego and it was pretty fast , but you sure will notice how loud an old gearbox is when you do not have the VWs aircooled cooling fan noise to cover up the gearbox noise, 

Anyway , if you get going on this send me a PM and I will send you a list of things to include if VW based......

Ohhh and if anyone can find it , DW , german TV just did a 2500km drive with new all electric cars , I just saw the last part yesterday and would love to see the beginning....

but even with a new Mercedes all electric they drove 80km on the autobahn to get some range , plus they had the wrong charging cable from MB and it took 12 hours to recharge , the correct cable would have taken 3 hours (still to long)

anyway if anyone finds the link it is very well done show

found it....

http://www.dw.com/en/program/going-electric/s-32873

Edited by BKKdreaming
added link

7 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

Ohhh and if anyone can find it , DW , german TV just did a 2500km drive with new all electric cars , I just saw the last part yesterday and would love to see the beginning....

but even with a new Mercedes all electric they drove 80km on the autobahn to get some range , plus they had the wrong charging cable from MB and it took 12 hours to recharge , the correct cable would have taken 3 hours (still to long)

anyway if anyone finds the link it is very well done show

found it....

http://www.dw.com/en/program/going-electric/s-32873

thanks for sharing !!! 

in this case, the German is the leader in this tech a few steps ahead of others then.

some of forum members quoted that the pollution is just concentrated on electricity plants instead of emitting from vehicles in wide-ranges this is  true and we must have the way to overcome this.  Besides I read this forum long a few years backwards one guy showed us a link to a science that people think things are green but actually they are not. for example, the processes of making a solar cell spending huge amount of carbon released in the air. a solar cell itself it totally environmental friendly. I forgot the link and I couldn't find it again.   It would be thankful if someone could show me again.  Haha!!

if you guys can manage to read some Thai below is an updated news of EVs from online manager.

http://manager.co.th/Motoring/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9590000077485 

they said the big 3 auto makers Toyota, nissan, honda and mentioned 0% import tax.  Still plugin-Hybrid will come before EVs like other members said. Toyota is trying to build a lot more Hybrids next of to their plan. This is marketing.  Then I have come to realize that the technology would not move forwards if the marketing turned into different directions.

Fuel Cell from hydro power that same type of hydro bomb that used to destroy Hiroshima and Nagasaki???. correct me if i'm wrong. 

10 hours ago, SattaheapSea said:

Fuel Cell from hydro power that same type of hydro bomb that used to destroy Hiroshima and Nagasaki???. correct me if i'm wrong. 

Toyota has a few hydrogen cars running around here , but there are only a handful of refill stations here in Southern california , so you are even worse off then trying to recharge your electric car !

There have been some programs on Japanese NHK TV on Hydrogen cars , they run great but same problem in Japan , no place to refill them ,...

and just like "green" electric , hydrogen does not come without pollution costs , 

Hybrids are the only way to go now ,  and that is mostly because of zero "local" pollution in slow local traffic since you are using electric  or nothing if stopped (  OK you would probably have AC on )

The German show said they recharged 24 times for 2500km , and this was a little BS too as every time they changed cars that car was fully charged , so you really need to add one extra charge for each change ......

it still has a long way to go to make it work for long range , but good if you are only driving 40-50km a day and have a way to recharge it and not be running a power cord across the sidewalk every night !

On 8/5/2016 at 6:39 PM, BKKdreaming said:

it still has a long way to go to make it work for long range , but good if you are only driving 40-50km a day and have a way to recharge it and not be running a power cord across the sidewalk every night !

With a Tesla, you can drive 300km+ stretches, stop and charge about 20 mins - and your good to go another 300km or so. Their supercharger network covers most of Europe, NA and Australia.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Edited by mortenaa

Just now, BSJ said:

Another 10 years and the electric car will be common place.....but will it still be sucking on a coal fired tit for nourishment??? 

but if the pollution is from a few places in this case electricity plants, it is for sure easier to control than right from car exhausts running every corner of the country.

7 hours ago, mortenaa said:

With a Tesla, you can drive 300km+ stretches, stop and charge about 20 mins - and your good to go another 300km or so. Their supercharger network covers most of Europe, NA and Australia.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Great idea , but thats in the future ,  and every 300km  will be on main roads , and a limited number of  "plugs"

if you tried to do a cross country USA or across Europe road trip you better bring some good books and a blanket and pillow :)

and only Tesla cars can plug in......

Tesla has BIG plans , and BIG $$$$$  to do them ,  but they  need to work with the other E car makers for a standard plug etc

Look at the DW link above , or Top Gear when they tried to go from the South of England up North, 

As they say , Not ready for Prime time yet.......

Ohhh and I hope that electric cars get better and have longer range ,  but like has been said ,  finding real GREEN energy to power them is also needed....

3 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

Great idea , but thats in the future ,  and every 300km  will be on main roads , and a limited number of  "plugs"

if you tried to do a cross country USA or across Europe road trip you better bring some good books and a blanket and pillow :)

and only Tesla cars can plug in......

Tesla has BIG plans , and BIG $$$$$  to do them ,  but they  need to work with the other E car makers for a standard plug etc

Look at the DW link above , or Top Gear when they tried to go from the South of England up North, 

As they say , Not ready for Prime time yet.......

Ohhh and I hope that electric cars get better and have longer range ,  but like has been said ,  finding real GREEN energy to power them is also needed....

If you have a Tesla, this is reality today - all over Europe. Friends with Teslas drive from Norway to France, Italy and Spain - painless. 

For other brands, the range is not there yet. Its more city and commute. But all over Europe, as standard supercharger network is now built. 

Here you see a picture of superchargers in Scandinavia, thats up and running, compatible with all EV's in the market today:

publicsuperchargers.jpg

On 8/5/2016 at 4:46 AM, BKKdreaming said:

sounds interesting , are you building a chassis or using a VW one ?   VW gearbox ?

I drove a converted 1960s bug  in San Diego and it was pretty fast , but you sure will notice how loud an old gearbox is when you do not have the VWs aircooled cooling fan noise to cover up the gearbox noise, 

Anyway , if you get going on this send me a PM and I will send you a list of things to include if VW based......

Building our own chassis.  Not sue about the gearbox... right now it is a VW.

On 8/8/2016 at 7:55 PM, SattaheapSea said:

but if the pollution is from a few places in this case electricity plants, it is for sure easier to control than right from car exhausts running every corner of the country.

Possibly.  One has to make the assumption Thai power plants will use new technology to reduce emissions from not only the extra load from electric cars but their existing load base as well.