A woman or child is raped every 15 minutes in Thailand - study shows

rooster59

A woman or child is raped every 15 minutes in Thailand - study shows

post-247607-0-43425200-1469853650_thumb.

BANGKOK: Statistics issued jointly by the national research institute and the national police bureau show that a woman or child is raped in Thailand almost every 15 minutes.

There were approximately 30,000 rape cases per year or 82 per day in the period from 2009 to 2013.

And a new study from the protection agency for women and children called the Paweena Foundation has revealed details of rape reports from last year along with information regarding use of the death penalty.

Some 656 cases of rape were reported to the Paweena Foundation in 2015. The age range of victims was 1 year and 8 months to 81 years.

The three groups committing the most rapes were 1. Step fathers 2. Friends of the victims and 3. Neighbors (step fathers being the worst culprits).

The foundation cited several main reasons for rape - male dominance in society over women; media influence such as scenes on television soaps showing leading men raping women; rapists with mental problems who themselves were abused as children; the influence of drugs in society; and the vulnerability of some rape victims.

The death penalty exists for those convicted in cases of rape/murder but since 1999 admissions have meant that only life sentences have been handed down.

The foundation noted that there have been vociferous calls in society for the death penalty to be mandatory for cases of rape/murder especially when a child is involved.

But the foundation has cautioned that such a policy would lead to more rape victims being murdered in order to cover up crime and may be counterproductive.

A Cambodian child of just one year and five months was raped in Chonburi this week by a Thai stepfather who has admitted his crime. The child is fighting for her life in hospital.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-30

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the kids who get raped in some villages that don't make it to the "news?" Uncles, neighbors, etc..

Then it's how many raped kids in one hour?

The one year and five months old child rape case by the Thai stepfather made me feel sick and I wanna throw up.

Huge amounts of sexual abuse and rape of minors is covered up in this broken society. Most of it goes unreported in Village life and when you ask 'Why? ', you are told that it is 'normal' and one should not 'fink too mutt' about these things !

And the kids who get raped in some villages that don't make it to the "news?" Uncles, neighbors, etc..

The one year and five months old child rape case by the Thai stepfather made me feel sick and I wanna throw up.

Which children are they that are victims of rape that don't make it to the news reports? How do you know about them if they are not reported?

Huge amounts of sexual abuse and rape of minors is covered up in this broken society. Most of it goes unreported in Village life and when you ask 'Why? ', you are told that it is 'normal' and one should not 'fink too mutt' about these things !

Says who, and based on what?

Which children are they that are victims of rape that don't make it to the news reports? How do you know about them if they are not reported?

If you live in rural Thailand the jungle drums will let you know one way or another soon enough. People gossip all the time and sometimes thing come out that shouldn't.

I wonder if there is a correlation between high prevalence rate for prostitution and sexual abuse of the young?

There is a moral code in LOS but a significant % of the population don't partake or practice it. Would be a fascinating study to read...

And then do a cross cultural study with India...similarities and differences

Ah yes, Thailand. Such a lovely Buddhist country. NOT.

Thailand has no moral or ethical values. All they know is me, me, me. That, and money, money, money. We see it every day.

Thailand is a broken and sick society. Now I know what 'Thainess' really means.

Hardly surprisingly when from birth children here are shielded from life`s hard truths included something as naturally as be naked in the schools changing / shower room. So what`s happen when reality surface later in life! Some handle it to many do not.

Says who, and based on what?

Just arrived in Thailand this morning straight from the land of perfect, did you?

Thailand has no moral or ethical values. All they know is me, me, me. That, and money, money, money. We see it every day.

Spoken like a typical ignorant farang

"The age range of victims was 1 year and 8 months to 81 years"

That really shows the depravity of the males committing these horrible crimes.

And to think, this is only what is reported. Given the shame and fear that goes along with rape, most rape cases are actually not reported, not just here but everywhere. With that in mind, I have no doubt the problem is much, much worse. Double, triple, or even quadruple perhaps.

But whatever, keep glorifying it on TV. It makes the men look so macho, and the women, well, what woman doesn't want to be kidnapped, beaten and raped until she magically falls in love with her abuser.

I wonder if there is a correlation between high prevalence rate for prostitution and sexual abuse of the young?

There is a moral code in LOS but a significant % of the population don't partake or practice it. Would be a fascinating study to read...

And then do a cross cultural study with India...similarities and differences

There is a direct correlation between prostitution and sexual abuse.

I has been well established.

Just ask any hooker how she feels about her father.

England & Wales with a lower population than Thailand is reported to have approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour. So one assumes rapes in Thailand are either under reported or sexual violence is a lot less in Thailand; personally I would go with under reported.

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

I wonder why so many foreigners strive to live there. .. are they worse perverts?

Paedophiles, ever heard the word?

Majority of those are not Thai. Visit a shrink fast, for your sake.

England & Wales with a lower population than Thailand is reported to have approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour. So one assumes rapes in Thailand are either under reported or sexual violence is a lot less in Thailand; personally I would go with under reported.

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

I hope people will look at the info. on your link and think twice about laying into Thai people so readily.

I think the problem is sex isn't assigned the importance in Thailand that it is in the west.

So rape and prostitution aren't viewed as that big a problem by the Thai authorities.

In the west it's viewed as a major crime like murder.

In Thailand it's more a minor crime like shoplifting.

I do know that my neighbors will never leave their female children alone with any male, relative or not.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:19 PM, Assurancetourix said:

And it seems 1zgarz5.gif we are in a bouddhist country ...

Nothing to do with religion. It is all personal responsibility of an individual not to take advantage on innocent child and women who are unable to fight a man. After all i am not sure what pleasure they will get without consent of a women. Male Castration could bring down the crime ??

Edited by NextStationBangkok

On 7/30/2016 at 2:05 PM, ravip said:

I wonder why so many foreigners strive to live there. .. are they worse perverts?

Paedophiles, ever heard the word?

Majority of those are not Thai. Visit a shrink fast, for your sake.

Sure about this?

I don't agree with rape under any circumstances in anyway !!   A little bit off topic now,,  but it would be interesting to know what percentage of woman are still virgins at 18,  the legal age for sex..  a very small percentage is my guess.. and many have had babies way before then.     I have lived here 2 years, and feel woman look at sex as a commodity,   that they can sell. 
I have been out with bar girls, receptionists, hair dresser, massage therapist (no sex), and dress maker and all ask for money for sex..   just like a girl selling a pack of condoms in the 7/11,,,  one even asked if I want to use one on her,,  haha, for money of course !!!  said other girl can look after shop, we can go out the back,,  I'm not surprised as a girl can make 3/4 days wage in 20 minutes.....   one other thing, most woman's  bodies are ready to reproduce at about 13 to 15 years old, so nature says they are ready for sex...    

Why would you rape someone? Sex is available at the click of a button- or on many street corners. 

Put it into perspective  - the UK - similar population - 85000 female rapes- 12000 male rapes every year. 

I read through ThaiVisa most mornings- over coffee and a cigarette .

recently there seems to be so many super macho comments- grow a pair, just tell your wife what to do, I'm only here for prostitures, oh no bar fine has gone up, buy a gun, beat the **** of of her family. 

The attitude to women stinks on this forum- and this is from members from 1st world countries. 

Things around the world need to change , especially the attitude to wowen .

49 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

The attitude to women stinks on this forum- and this is from members from 1st world countries. 

One must remember that nearly all the male posters on this forum were driven out of their own countries by their wife, who grabbed a significant part of their lifetime assets. So the attitude of forum posters towards women is explicable but not justifiable.

Edited by MissAndry
spelling

3 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Nothing to do with religion. It is all personal responsibility of an individual not to take advantage on innocent child and women who are unable to fight a man. After all i am not sure what pleasure they will get without consent of a women. Male Castration could bring down the crime ??

Curious, is that all males? That would certainly work. Or do you have some kind of plan to identify potential rapists? Maybe just castrate all stepfathers as they are the worst offenders?

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Why would you rape someone? Sex is available at the click of a button- or on many street corners. 

Put it into perspective  - the UK - similar population - 85000 female rapes- 12000 male rapes every year. 

I read through ThaiVisa most mornings- over coffee and a cigarette .

recently there seems to be so many super macho comments- grow a pair, just tell your wife what to do, I'm only here for prostitures, oh no bar fine has gone up, buy a gun, beat the **** of of her family. 

Things around the world need to change , especially the attitude to wowen .

95% of the time, rape isn't about sex. It's about power and control

On 7/30/2016 at 0:11 PM, gdgbb said:

How do you know when/if you're retarded? Usually you don't, but others might tell you that you are.