New TV format

junglechef

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine for change for making things better sake.

However, it's a bit hard at present to see how things are/will be better with the latest forum software incarnation.

Has there been any explanation anywhere from the admins or mods of just how any of this will improve the user experience?

Hi

To be honest, this upgrade is about 3 years overdue and was necessary for technical reasons above all else.

The old forum software was very much on its last legs and was the reason for all the technical issues that have plagued the site in recent months.

We appreciate this change may take some getting used to but many of the regular forum functions are pretty much the same.

The new forum should be much faster to load and to post, more responsive on mobile and much more stable.

There are still a few issues to iron out but we ask you to just bare with us while we work on this.

Believe me, if we could have just kept the forum the same, we would have done - it would be much easier for us - however, that simply was no longer an option and comparable to say continuing to try and run Windows 95 on your PC.

Like I say, please bare with us and apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards

Jonathan

Admin team

With some help from other members here, I finally was able to find where the former My Content link has been hidden in the new version.

It's accessed by doing a mouse hover-over one's avatar/photo image next to your profile name at the top of the screen. That brings up a Find Content link.

However, AFAICT, while that shows you the threads you've started and threads you've posted in, I can't see any version of the new link that also shows you if/when someone else has come along and responded to one of your earlier posts. Like the former version used to show you the last post and when it was made in that thread.

IMO, he upgraded version is light years better than the old version!

But of course it's confusing at first.  And there are most probably a number of temporary glitches.

I'm familiar with the new layout from another forum and am pretty sure that by the end of the month most active posters here will enjoy the upgraded functionality and improved loading speed.. 

As Admin and Mod on other forums I'm quite happy to see an upgrade and it looks ... ok, except for the empty white real estate.  Is a choice of 'skins' available or can the pages be 'tightened' up.... perhaps by reducing Member avatar and detail page depth.

52 minutes ago, kaptainrob said:

As Admin and Mod on other forums I'm quite happy to see an upgrade and it looks ... ok, except for the empty white real estate.  Is a choice of 'skins' available or can the pages be 'tightened' up.... perhaps by reducing Member avatar and detail page depth.

So have you figured out yet how to see if there have been responses in a thread that you've posted in?

The prior version gave you a link and profile ID for the most recent/last poster in a thread you've posted in.

When I go to the new version of My Posts or My Threads, that functionality appears to be gone.

And when you click the link for Replies in your My Posts list, it always takes you to the very first reply in a thread (even if you've already read it), not to the last/most recent reply.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So have you figured out yet how to see if there have been responses in a thread that you've posted in?

The prior version gave you a link and profile ID for the most recent/last poster in a thread you've posted in.

When I go to the new version of My Posts or My Threads, that functionality appears to be gone.

You'll get a notification. Or you can go to 'Content I posted in' under the 'Activity' dropdown.

Thanks SoiBiker...

Indeed, I got a popup notification on my screen when you posted above quoting my post. Not sure I want those pop-ups every time, but...

However, going to the Yellow bar across the top of the screen, choosing the More / Activity / My Activity Streams /  Content | Posted In seems to do the trick (though that entire section was blank when I tried it earlier in the afternoon.

Why that has to be hidden 3-4 links down under the MORE link in the new version, when it was so much easier and more directly accessible (1 click) before under the very visible My Content section, I simply don't understand.

13 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Despite it being patiently explained why the change was necessary in this very thread, some people still don't get it. 

Shame we can't upgrade the membership, too.

Memebers must of got bored of scrolling down to see it.