New TV format

junglechef

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/1/2016 at 6:01 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks SoiBiker...

Indeed, I got a popup notification on my screen when you posted above quoting my post. Not sure I want those pop-ups every time, but...

However, going to the Yellow bar across the top of the screen, choosing the More / Activity / My Activity Streams /  Content | Posted In seems to do the trick (though that entire section was blank when I tried it earlier in the afternoon.

Why that has to be hidden 3-4 links down under the MORE link in the new version, when it was so much easier and more directly accessible (1 click) before under the very visible My Content section, I simply don't understand.

There is a yellow bar across the top of the screen?????

The only yellow I see at the top of the thread is the the left.  The yellow back ground for the word Thai, in the logo for "Thai Visa Forum"

I do see a blue bar however.  

I have just clicked everything that is clickable at the top of the thread and none of those clicks led to "the More / Activity / My Activity Streams /  Content | Posted In" you mentioned in your post.  

Sign me, Puzzled.

I believe this new web page is a 'pre-packaged' item from a common vendor.  I meet the same format on other forums. Makes the admin work probably easier just to 'rip and paste' compared to writing own lines of code (what do i know?).  Some aspects i don't like, will must learn to adjust. 

But whether the new format can accommodate some desired changes remains to be seen.  I too would like the 'quick nav' button on page bottom.  Wait and see.

On 8/1/2016 at 1:33 AM, worgeordie said:

All the old farts on here (me included) will not like this new format,

Sometimes things don't need fixing.hope they tighten things up,there's a lot of scrolling.

regards Worgeordie

I remember back in the 2004 - 2006 time frame there were several upgrades and overhauls to the website. I didn't like any of them but became accustomed to each. I decided it was my reluctance to change that was the greater factor in my perturbance rather than the change itself. This too will pass, and the thing we dislike now will be the thing we miss when they change it again somewhere down the road.

Hopefully the Quote-function will eventually allow us to quote more-than-just-one previous-post, as where there are a string of related-posts, then it would help to make the to-and-fro exchange clearer/more-meaningful ?

On 8/1/2016 at 5:58 PM, MickeyMaow said:

As uasual if it ain't broke then don't fixed it. But there'll always be someone somewhere with nothing to do that will want to mess with things. 

It was broke, that was the point, and they were obliged to upgrade -- certainly not just a case of trying to piss you off. 

We've had the whinge on each and every upgrade, but imo this looks stunning and has some nice touches.

There will always be moaning. It's the same subset of people who would rather use the same OS until the day they die, regardless of how outdated and insecure it becomes, rather than engage in the minor effort of getting to grips with a new one.

When reading this forum on my Tv,have to put sunglasses on,

worried could get snow blindness ,with looking at all the white

for any length of time,so i hope they fix the expanses of white

and do not have the posts so spread out,so not too much scrolling,

then it should be OK.

regards Worgeordie

It seems OK. On a desktop the advert section on the right is rather large, but on an Ipad I can enlarge /zoom in and get it out of view!

Am surprised by the top section which the blue and yellow bit looks a bit like an outdated microsoft theme from years ago. I don't think it's my screens but the text on those blue yellow bars looks really blurry.

The new format looks like what Microsoft would do.  Bland.  Sterile.  Lacking all appeal.    And what is with all the "Notifications" requests I have to decline.   Argggghhhh. Plain awful.

I've had this message "Service unavailable", a number of times (maybe 10 so far in a couple of days), when navigating from the main page and when trying to open (for instance) a specific page where a thread has multiple pages.

I can only resolve the problem by leaving the TV website and going back in again (and then it doesn't always work), it's very annoying. It's only happened since the upgrade NEVER before.

What's it all about, is there a "proper" solution, is anyone in admin reading these messages?

Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe

1 minute ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I've had this message a number (maybe 10 so far in a couple of days) of times "Service unavailable", when navigating from the main page and when trying to open (for instance) a specific page where a thread has multiple pages.

I can only resolve the problem by leaving the TV website and going back in again (and then it doesn't always work), it's very annoying. It's only happened since the upgrade NEVER before.

What's it all about, is there a "proper" solution, is anyone in admin reading these messages?

Joe

"You may experience some issues until we are 100% upgraded. Thank you for your understanding."

Admittedly, they have hidden this message away at the top of pretty much every single page of the forum, so I guess it's understandable you missed it. 

On 8/1/2016 at 6:01 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks SoiBiker...

Indeed, I got a popup notification on my screen when you posted above quoting my post. Not sure I want those pop-ups every time, but...

However, going to the Yellow bar across the top of the screen, choosing the More / Activity / My Activity Streams /  Content | Posted In seems to do the trick (though that entire section was blank when I tried it earlier in the afternoon.

Why that has to be hidden 3-4 links down under the MORE link in the new version, when it was so much easier and more directly accessible (1 click) before under the very visible My Content section, I simply don't understand.

There is a yellow bar across the top of the screen?????

The only yellow I see at the top of the thread is the the left.  The yellow back ground for the word Thai, for the logo "Thai Visa Forum"
`*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I made one quote and post.  .............  

Now every time I click quote, or try to reply at the bottom of the page, the same quote, see above the stars, appears!

What is the "Report post"?  I see that on every post, next to the time the message arrived.  Report to whom and for what?  Some kind of snooping no doubt on fellow TV denizens.

So if someone uses a forbidden word or tries to sell me some religious idea i can report him/her to the authorities and get his/her a** caned?  Great!

On busy forums like this, the moderators don't generally have time to read every single post, so they rely on users helping them out by reporting problematic replies.

It's not compulsory, so don't worry about it if you're not interested in using it.

27 minutes ago, rawhod said:

How do I delete the little black box in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen which has the caption "Quote 1 post" in it, which remains from a reply I decided not to make?

Found the answer..

There is an "X" in the "Quote" button which is hidden under the "BacktoTop_title" button which was superimposed on the "Quote" button.

A bit of programming error I suspect.

Edit: after thought...why has the preview post facility been withdrawn?

Edited by rawhod
Afterthought

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

I like the new format because is is easier on my somewhat impaired eyeballs, cleaner.

~o:37;

I'm not so sure about that...

I really dislike the pale blue text on paler blue background. I find I'm squinting at it all the time.

1 hour ago, rawhod said:

I'm not so sure about that...

I really dislike the pale blue text on paler blue background. I find I'm squinting at it all the time.

Your eyeballs and your monitor/teevee may vary, and vary even more with what type of content you are watching served by what type of device in what type of context. I spent some time tweaking my monitor to create special settings for programming (my modal activity) and reading text, and for watching video.

And, I did the same thing in Windows, and also adjusted settings in the browser I use (Chrome).

White space matters.

cheers,  ~o:37;