Possibility to get stamp for re-entry at the airport?

Hi,

I have been staying in Thailand for a little while on tourist visas. Two weeks ago I went to Australia for a visit and I also got a tourist visa (single entry - 60 days) back to Thailand. I now have to return to Australia for a shorter period of time (matter of weeks), and I wonder if it is possible to buy a re-entry stamp at the immigration at the airport in Chiang Mai, or do I have to apply for a new tourist visa in Australia? Australia is not my home country.

Thanks!

You can get a re-entry permit at a immigration office to keep the remainder of your 60 day entry valid when you return from your trip.

In Chiang Mai you would apply for it at the Promenada office.

If you are flying international from Chiang Mai you may also be able to get one on departure from the country. Not sure what hours they do it though.

If you are returning to Australia for a few weeks it's probably better to get a new tourist visa while you're there. A re-entry permit will only keep the balance of your original 60 day permission to stay.

I have a related question. My O-A visa has only a single entry. I'll shortly be returning to Thailand and have realised that I'll need a multiple re-entry permit. Can I nip upstairs after arriving at Suvarnabhumi and get it processed then, or if I'm going to rely on the airport option do I have to wait until I've checked in and present a boarding pass for that day?

22 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I have a related question. My O-A visa has only a single entry. I'll shortly be returning to Thailand and have realised that I'll need a multiple re-entry permit. Can I nip upstairs after arriving at Suvarnabhumi and get it processed then, or if I'm going to rely on the airport option do I have to wait until I've checked in and present a boarding pass for that day?

Are you sure you have a OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate that only allows a single entry (S on visa sticker). They have only been issued as multiple entry visas (M on visa sticker) for many years now.

If you did not get a re-entry permit before you left the country it is to late now. You will not be able to get one when you enter the country.

On 8/3/2016 at 8:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure you have a OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate that only allows a single entry (S on visa sticker). They have only been issued as multiple entry visas (M on visa sticker) for many years now.

If you did not get a re-entry permit before you left the country it is to late now. You will not be able to get one when you enter the country.

I think you can assume that I know all about my visa; I'm only interested in the answer to the the question that begins "Can I nip upstairs ..."

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I answered the question about nipping up stairs in my post.

Actually, you didn't. If you re-read your answer you'll see that your answer actually says that I won't be able to enter on my existing visa, so the question doesn't arise.

So, here are the facts:

If you apply in your own country for a ME Retirement Visa then for the first 12 months you get a 12-month extension every time you enter Thailand up until your anniversary. As I got my Retirement Visa in my home country I know those to be the facts. When I re-enter a few days before the anniversary of my initial entry I will get a further 12-month extension. However the ME component of my original entry will have expired, so I then need to get a ME permit to cover the second year. All of this is well-documented

So, reverting to my original question, and hoping this time you can actually address it, when I re-enter Thailand can I nip upstairs and get an ME re-entry permit then? Yes or no? It's a very simple question which you appear to want to complicate by making pronouncements about my visa status which I know and you clearly don't

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

ME reentry permits are never issued at the airport, single ones only for outgoing passengers.

Confusing question by the way, from what I gather now you could simply have asked can I get a ME reentry permit at the airport after being admitted on my current visa/permission to stay.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2016 at 4:39 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

25 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Actually, you didn't. If you re-read your answer you'll see that your answer actually says that I won't be able to enter on my existing visa, so the question doesn't arise.

So, here are the facts:

If you apply in your own country for a ME Retirement Visa then for the first 12 months you get a 12-month extension every time you enter Thailand up until your anniversary. As I got my Retirement Visa in my home country I know those to be the facts. When I re-enter a few days before the anniversary of my initial entry I will get a further 12-month extension. However the ME component of my original entry will have expired, so I then need to get a ME permit to cover the second year. All of this is well-documented

So, reverting to my original question, and hoping this time you can actually address it, when I re-enter Thailand can I nip upstairs and get an ME re-entry permit then? Yes or no? It's a very simple question which you appear to want to complicate by making pronouncements about my visa status which I know and you clearly don't

Before you wrote that you only had a single entry non-oa. Now you apparently are saying you a multiple entry non-oa visa.

You can only get a re-entry permit at the airport if you have a boarding pass for a international flight.

19 minutes ago, Carib said:

ME reentry permits are never issued at the airport, single ones only for outgoing passengers.

Confusing question by the way, from what I gather now you could simply have asked can I get a ME reentry permit at the airport after being admitted on my current visa/permission to stay.

It is possible to get a multiple re-entry permit at the airport. There have been many reports of people getting them.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It is possible to get a multiple re-entry permit at the airport. There have been many reports of people getting them.

Yes but... it is not something one can count on, a bit of a hit and miss situation, and one still needs to be an outgoing passenger for a non local flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Before you wrote that you only had a single entry non-oa. Now you apparently are saying you a multiple entry non-oa visa.

You can only get a re-entry permit at the airport if you have a boarding pass for a international flight.

Fabulous, you've now demonstrated your skills at pedantry and answered the question too. I think that's known as a win-win situation

Re-entry permits are issued BEFORE you depart.

You can easily get them in the immigrstion offfice in Bangkok.

They are intended to keep your current visa extension alive until it's current expiration date.

Thy can be for a single re-entry or multiple re-entries.

However exit re-entry permits are only valid for the time of the current extension of the visa or extension

So if your extension expires while you are out of the country, so does your exit re-entry permit expire

And yes, they also can be obtained at the airport on DEPARTURE.

Their purpose as i said above is to keep your current visa or exension alive during you rtemporary exit and return to Thailand and not to be canceled by your exit from Thailand as an extension of stay would be.

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a exit re-entry permit be obtained on arrival.

As I say i could be wrong but i think the short answer to you question is NO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carib said:

Some attitude you have, taking over someone`s topic, creating confusion by not asking the right question which could have been a very short one and now some snotty remarks. Please take a very good look at your attitude, it definitely needs adjusting.

But at least we can now gloat in the satisfaction that, having failed to obtain a re-entry permit before flying out from Thailand, the most he could now hope for upon his return would be the standard 30-day stamp - unless, of course, he were able to obtain a fresh non-OA or non-O visa beforehand, which he might find a tad difficult if he is not back in his home country at the present time!:P

Not to mention, of course, that he would run the risk of being denied permission to board his return flight at check-in in the absence of any new non-OA or non-O visa!:P:P

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Fabulous, just fabulous

Sure would be for us if you were denied permission to board your return flight to Thailand and we were to be spared your rude sarcasm on here in future as a result!

And while your knowledge about your visa may no doubt be impeccable, your knowledge about the layout of Suvarnabhumi Airport is clearly sadly lacking. So kindly allow me, from the goodness of my heart, to elucidate you. It is intrinsically impossible to "nip upstairs" for a re-entry permit, as you so eloquently put it, without first passing through an immigration entry checkpoint at which your passport will be stamped for 30 days regardless. And I can guarantee you that, were you then to attempt to obtain a pre-dated re-entry permit and get the 30 days stamp amended as a result, you would be sent away from the re-entry permit office with a flea in your ear!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

Sure would be for us if you were denied permission to board your return flight to Thailand and we were to be spared your rude sarcasm on here in future as a result!

And while your knowledge about your visa may no doubt be impeccable, your knowledge about the layout of Suvarnabhumi Airport is clearly sadly lacking. So kindly allow me, from the goodness of my heart, to elucidate you. It is intrinsically impossible to "nip upstairs" for a re-entry permit, as you so eloquently put it, without first passing through an immigration entry checkpoint at which your passport will be stamped for 30 days regardless. And I can guarantee you that, were you then to attempt to obtain a pre-dated re-entry permit and get the 30 days stamp amended as a result, you would be sent away from the re-entry permit office with a flea in your ear!

I don't agree with SaintLouisBlues' 'attitude' to people trying to help, but I think you've completely misunderstood what he is asking. 

I think you will find that he is entering using a valid non 'O-A' visa (single or multiple is irrelevant), and once he has his 1 year permit to stay he wants to go up to the departure level to buy a re-enrty permit for use in the future. It's a valid question, but as said already he wont get a re-entry permit without a boarding pass.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

I don't agree with SaintLouisBlues' 'attitude' to people trying to help, but I think you've completely misunderstood what he is asking. 

I think you will find that he is entering using a valid non 'O-A' visa (single or multiple is irrelevant), and once he has his 1 year permit to stay he wants to go up to the departure level to buy a re-enrty permit for use in the future. It's a valid question, but as said already he wont get a re-entry permit without a boarding pass.

I basically agree with everything you said, except that I think most likely he has an extension of stay with a single re-entry permit (which he may well have got at the airport on departure). He knows he will need another re-entry permit (he wants a multiple) and is asking if he can do it at the airport on arrival, or only on departure.

Basically, my guess is that it is the usual confusion between visa and extension of stay. You are correct, though, that it does not effect the answer to the question.