Great dining experience in Chiang Mai ?

Sandy Freckle

Newly settled here, my partner and I are looking for great dining experiences around Chiang Mai...., places that have great food and relaxed atmosphere....., can be almost anything from semi formal fine dining..., to a particular market stall..., to mum & dad shop houses(with a great Khao Soi). Although food quality is important for us..., so also are authenticity, location and the whole experience. 
Please private message us if you do not feel to let the whole world in on your secret places ? 
Thanks in advance for any positive feedback.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Chiang Mai eats on FB.....They have 6,000 members & they provide write ups on eating - Chiang Mai.....All types of places & foods reviewed + the discussions that follow.....

Good insight into foods & places....

The best pizza ,,,and I've tried alot ,, IMO is  behind ZOE in yellow.. ''New York Pizza'' just a small wagon  run by a very nice Thai woman. The BBQ chicken pizza with a touch of cilantro and homemade sauce is fantastic.

You've been here a couple weeks and you haven't been to a Duke's?  You've got to order a hamburger or pizza so you can speak with authority when a pizza or hamburger thread comes up on this forum.  The original, and some would say the best, Duke's is just across the river from River Market.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew Rd, across from what is now the closed-down Shell Petrol station is very popular with local expats.  They have half price house wine and a good special on Wednesday nights that really draws 'em in.

On 03/08/2016 at 8:44 PM, pgthompson said:

Actually BOTH places are sponsors of Chiang Mai Expats Club and I hope the OP comes to our Breakfast Club meeting this Friday, August 5th, 9:30 am at River Market restaurant.  It's a Duke's-style breakfast in the beautiful River Market setting.  Great place for newcomers to meet other expats.

And no, Duke's isn't over-rated or over-priced.  It's good quality and value for the money.  Tonight I'm having a stay-at-home night and ordered Duke's from Meals-on-Wheels-4-U.  We can make a dinner for two out of their spinach lasagna with a Caesar salad for a starter.  Got a pizza also because Hubby LOVES cold pizza leftovers for breakfast.  (He may sneak a piece for a midnight snack, too.)  

The cold pizza for breakfast comment probably just confirms pg's belief about American taste in food, I suppose.

Can anyone tell me about Shangra La's Sunday Seafood Brunch? I called them and they said it was 1188 baht and lobster and Alaskan crab was on the menu. 

Personal experiences?

Edited by tpiety2

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

Actually BOTH places are sponsors of Chiang Mai Expats Club and I hope the OP comes to our Breakfast Club meeting this Friday, August 5th, 9:30 am at River Market restaurant.  It's a Duke's-style breakfast in the beautiful River Market setting.  Great place for newcomers to meet other expats.

And no, Duke's isn't over-rated or over-priced.  It's good quality and value for the money.  Tonight I'm having a stay-at-home night and ordered Duke's from Meals-on-Wheels-4-U.  We can make a dinner for two out of their spinach lasagna with a Caesar salad for a starter.  Got a pizza also because Hubby LOVES cold pizza leftovers for breakfast.  (He may sneak a piece for a midnight snack, too.)  

The cold pizza for breakfast comment probably just confirms pg's belief about American taste in food, I suppose.

The Dukes does serve decent western Americanised meals taking into account that proper big western style restaurants besides the junk food MacDonald`s and KFC chains actually run by westerners are few and far between in Chiang Mai and there isn`t much choice to make comparisons.

But they definitely don`t come at reasonable prices compared with other average restaurant and cafe meal prices in Thailand. Having a meal for a couple or a family at the Dukes will be very expensive and for a restaurant in Thailand the Dukes is absolutely overpriced, it also adds VAT or services charges onto the menu bills. I still eat at the Dukes on rare occasions because I enjoy their food at times when I get desperate for a real Farlang meal, but saying it`s not overpriced is a false statement. 

16 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

We've dined at the River Market a few times and thought that was quite ok..., we would like to broaden our dining horizons.

I think it`s really a voyage of discovery when it comes to finding cafes and restaurant that serve the food you like.

Over the years I have found Thai cafes and other restaurants I`ve grown to prefer and stuck with them. 

6 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

The Dukes does serve decent western Americanised meals taking into account that proper big western style restaurants besides the junk food MacDonald`s and KFC chains actually run by westerners are few and far between in Chiang Mai and there isn`t much choice to make comparisons.

But they definitely don`t come at reasonable prices compared with other average restaurant and cafe meal prices in Thailand. Having a meal for a couple or a family at the Dukes will be very expensive and for a restaurant in Thailand the Dukes is absolutely overpriced, it also adds VAT or services charges onto the menu bills. I still eat at the Dukes on rare occasions because I enjoy their food at times when I get desperate for a real Farlang meal, but saying it`s not overpriced is a false statement. 

I like Thai "cafe food", too but for lunch.  A 40 baht plate of pad Thai or fried rice eaten off a plastic plate with cheap aluminum cutlery may be OK for lunch but it just doesn't cut it for dinner.  

49 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I like Thai "cafe food", too but for lunch.  A 40 baht plate of pad Thai or fried rice eaten off a plastic plate with cheap aluminum cutlery may be OK for lunch but it just doesn't cut it for dinner.  

There are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants and cafes in Chiang Mai without having to eat in the basic Thai gaffes. The shopping malls are full of them, grills, bakeries, Rimping, Sizzlers and can go Japanese if fancying a change. All serve decent meals in nice style premises and are of good value. Sizzlers also serves a nice selection of wines for people that like wine with their meals. Only difference between those restaurants and the Dukes is that the Dukes is a real authentic Farlang restaurant but customers should expect to pay well extra for this fact. My guess is that the Dukes is probably in the top level of being one of the most expensive restaurants in Chiang Mai, there is no disputing that.

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

You've been here a couple weeks and you haven't been to a Duke's?  You've got to order a hamburger or pizza so you can speak with authority when a pizza or hamburger thread comes up on this forum.  The original, and some would say the best, Duke's is just across the river from River Market.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew Rd, across from what is now the closed-down Shell Petrol station is very popular with local expats.  They have half price house wine and a good special on Wednesday nights that really draws 'em in.

Bit longer than a couple of weeks...., but thanks, actually yes, I have been to that particular Dukes with some local Thai friends(they recommended it)..., and yes loved it, had a nice experience. Learned later that luckily that particular Dukes was the 'better' Dukes..., there seems to be a few. 
Regards

Edited by Sandy Freckle

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I think it`s really a voyage of discovery when it comes to finding cafes and restaurant that serve the food you like.

Over the years I have found Thai cafes and other restaurants I`ve grown to prefer and stuck with them. 

Too true..., personally I love trying out all kinds of Thai places and yes sometimes with loads of 'spicy'..., although not for every meal.
Recently I went to a little 'hole in the wall' place called "Khao Soi Khun Yai", BUT, it has no name plate ;-)..., the Khao Soi was very good(but then how would I know?). I think they only sell Khao Soi. It's up on Sri Poom Rd, just west of Wat Mo Kham Tuang. It's only open 10am to 2pm and sells only variations of Khao Soi and various drinks. 

If you've got transportation...https://www.google.co.th/search?num=100&q=the+nest+mae+rim&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=18838889,98970173,4836&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwi0-rOvrabOAhXLLY8KHaw6C-oQtgMIJw&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2#rlfi=hd:;si:460245383021309058

The best Pad Thai believe it or not is at Lanna Golf course. Khun Lek used to run a very popular Thai restaurant out towards Mae Rim. Then he took over at the golf course and they were lucky to get him.

Miguel's (best Mexican food in CM) near the NE corner of the moat reopens tomorrow after a renovation.

Chez Khao Soi along the river outside the superhighway.

22 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

We've dined at the River Market a few times and thought that was quite ok..., we would like to broaden our dining horizons.

Another of my favorites is the Khualek Cafe, you can see it on the opposite bank of the river from the River Market. Large yellow building along from the Iron Bridge and opposite the Rimping car park.

Real cutlery and plates in a perfect riverside setting. Very nice Thai curry with rice for around 70bht. Very popular with Thais.

Edited by MissAndry

10 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Another of my favorites is the Khualek Cafe, you can see it on the opposite bank of the river from the River Market. Large yellow building along from the Iron Bridge and opposite the Rimping car park.

Real cutlery and plates in a perfect riverside setting. Very nice Thai curry with rice for around 70bht. Very popular with Thais.

Thanks very much..., another one added to the list.

I wish CM could offer the same range of western restaurants as Pattaya. In Pattaya I can have any authentic food run by Italian, French, Scandinavian or American owners. They look after their customers and make sure the quality is the same as they remember from back "home"  . But maybe it will get better in the future as more and more foreigners are moving in . 

Edited by balo

13 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Thanks very much..., another one added to the list.

I will 2nd this recommendation very nice food , the fried fish with black pepper is excellent a little spicy kick from the pepper but not too much

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Yes please...., to the second sentence.

Some of the Thai food places I like that are perhaps not so run of the mill:

The House at Ginger (in town)

Paak Dang (NE of town on the river)

Hello Salao (Isaan food) (Canal Road, Hang Dong)

Khao maao khao fang (Mae Hia) - surroundings very nice, food OK or good BUT can be a bit hit and miss.

All have websites / Facebook or both.

Dozens of 40-100 baht places 

Multiple posts removed.

The title of this topic is " Great dining experience in Chiang Mai  "

Can we please stick to the topic and NOT whats bad or continually running places down, its about the positive.

NOT negative.

Thank you.

I quite like the UN Irish Pub also as an 'all round' experience....., I like that they have a good selection of beer, the service is good and the wait staff don't 'hover', food is good and it's 'reasonable' value for money, I can watch AFL, Soccer, Rugby and other sports on one of their screens in a great fan cooled atmosphere, it's always been a good, non pretentious place to meet up with others and It's generally not over the top boisterous etc.
Just to be clear....., I am not one of the shareholders.
I was wondering if other crew in Chiang Mai rate it at all ? 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

I quite like the UN Irish Pub also as an 'all round' experience....., I like that they have a good selection of beer, the service is good and the wait staff don't 'hover', food is good and it's 'reasonable' value for money, I can watch AFL, Soccer, Rugby and other sports on one of their screens in a great fan cooled atmosphere, it's always been a good, non pretentious place to meet up with others and It's generally not over the top boisterous etc.
Just to be clear....., I am not one of the shareholders.
I was wondering if other crew in Chiang Mai rate it at all ? 

The "Big irish breakfast" for me is the best english style breakfast in town 

Incidentally, I had lunch today at the Duke's by the river.  Wasn't very hungry, so just went with an appetizer plate of ribs (three small ribs, more than enough, definitely fell off the bone, just as advertised) and a house salad, which was very fresh and much bigger than I expected.  Hubby asked me to bring home a pizza, so he'd have cold pizza for breakfast for the next couple days.  Yum, that's his favorite.  

34 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Wow, my high school French teacher would be proud that I've kept so much of my written French skills!

Incidentally, I had lunch today at the Duke's by the river.  Wasn't very hungry, so just went with an appetizer plate of ribs (three small ribs, more than enough, definitely fell off the bone, just as advertised) and a house salad, which was very fresh and much bigger than I expected.  Hubby asked me to bring home a pizza, so he'd have cold pizza for breakfast for the next couple days.  Yum, that's his favorite.  

"have cold pizza for breakfast", :blink:

Anyway, Ogazhu near Rimping Supermarket at Airport Plaza is extremely good, salads and lots of other good stuff, high qulity and always fresh.

Arcobaleno in Watkate for the best Italian in town.

Forget the two places down the street and head to Comadera on the river in Watkate, just down from Rimping Condo, excellent northern Thai food. Gallery further down the same road claims Hilary Clinton as their past guest (!) nice ambience, good food, great architecture, excellent view.

Holiday Inn buffet lunches, opposite Rajavej Hospital, can be very good to excellent, more pricey on weekends.

Shangi-la buffet lunches can be good, a tad pricey but the downer for me is the local clientel, a tad uppity, food is good nevertheless.

Ragu at Promenada very very god country style Italian.

Edited by chiang mai