Warning - Phu Nam Ron Border Crossing

You are probably right BritTim, but i made it without any problems. Unfortunately i takes much longer to exit and re-enter at Poi pet than it does at BanPhu Nam ron. A real pity they have changed the rules. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lovinglife said:

For anyone still looking at this there is no problem now entering and exiting Myanmar at Phu Nam Ron without a Myanmar visa, did it a couple of weeks ago to extend my tourist visa.

Can you please clarify "extend my tourist visa". Do you mean you have a multiple entry tourist visa, and crossed to get a new 60-day stay; or did you exit (without a valid, unexpired visa) and cross back into Thailand to get a 30-day visa exempt entry?

• 1 year later...

hello, but what about people travelling to Thailand with a tourist visa, are they allowed to cross to have a look on Myanmar side and come back without buying a Myanmar visa in advance ? (or can they buy it at the border?) thanks.

7 hours ago, gaff said:

hello, but what about people travelling to Thailand with a tourist visa, are they allowed to cross to have a look on Myanmar side and come back without buying a Myanmar visa in advance ? (or can they buy it at the border?) thanks.

You can only get a border pass that allows you stay with within the area of the crossings. If you wanted to travel further into the country you would need to have a visa that has to applied for at the Myanmar embassy. At other crossings you can use a e-visa,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a border pass that allows you stay with within the area of the crossings. If you wanted to travel further into the country you would need to have a visa that has to applied for at the Myanmar embassy. At other crossings you can use a e-visa,

Thank you, so friends coming from US with visa exempt will be allowed to cross and come back at Phunamrom (and get another 30 days visa exempt).

Now trying to find what they can see around there.

1 minute ago, gaff said:

Thank you, so friends coming from US with visa exempt will be allowed to cross and come back at Phunamrom (and get another 30 days visa exempt).

Now trying to find what they can see around there.

Yes they could get another visa exempt entry.

There is not much at Myanmar side of the border to see from what I have seen posted.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2016 at 12:48 AM, Macthehat said:

Does anyone think this would be the same if flying into myanmar? I've booked a (token) flight to myanmar (from bkk)  to show customs I'm not planing overstaying in thailand this September on a 30 day free visa ,,, would I be required to show a visa for myanmar at bkk customs or would they be happy enough with the outward flight , any suggestions appreciated in advance 

you wont be able to board without a Myanmar visa..

I suspect this is coming from the Myanmar side due to the additional visa requirement.

what additional visa requirements? there are NO NEW visa requirements for Myanmar.get ur visa online

• Like 1

On 8/6/2016 at 2:47 PM, ubonjoe said:

The visa for Cambodia costs $30 or a variable amount in baht.

Two days of overstay will not be a problem.

It costs more for last a minute flight than one purchased in advance. Planned in advance you find tickets for about 2500 baht round trip.

Please keep in mind,SOMETIMES thai immigration will not allow u back into thailand the same day u exit at Poi Pet

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Please keep in mind,SOMETIMES thai immigration will not allow u back into thailand the same day u exit at Poi Pet

This is an old thread from when that crossing was ok - I was taken-in, also, until I saw UJ's post. 

But to anyone reading the thread now - one would definitely NOT want to do an in/out at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing these days - even with a Non-O Multi Visa - and certainly not hoping to get a visa-exempt entry-stamp.  Other crossings to Cambodia are still reported OK, though.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is an old thread from when that crossing was ok - I was taken-in, also, until I saw UJ's post. 

But to anyone reading the thread now - one would definitely NOT want to do an in/out at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing these days - even with a Non-O Multi Visa - and certainly not hoping to get a visa-exempt entry-stamp.  Other crossings to Cambodia are still reported OK, though.

This thread os about PHU NAM RON kanchanaburi border, not POIPET...

7 minutes ago, gaff said:

This thread os about PHU NAM RON kanchanaburi border, not POIPET...

Many posts in the thread referred to going to Aranya/Poipet as the alternative - which is what the post I replied to was referring to.  This is scary advice, given the current situation there.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Many posts in the thread referred to going to Aranya/Poipet as the alternative - which is what the post I replied to was referring to.  This is scary advice, given the current situation there.

If people are not able to do a proper search, they should stay home in their village.

On 8/5/2016 at 9:29 AM, Denim said:

Nearly did it that way myself but wasn't ready to leave in May. Yes......why would you carry an old passport ? Trouble is these days they suspect we are trying to hide something by having a new passport. As an aside, they are so visa happy here that when I renewed I got the bumper version so that even if they fill it with their full page ( for 10 minutes ) visas I should be alright for a bit longer.

When I recently got my new USA passport here in the USA because I had put it through the wash... The guy at the post office was aghast when I asked "I get my old passport back right"?  He seemed put off by it.  He said I had to write a letter there on the spot with a simple paragraph saying why I wanted the passport and include it with my new application.  sheesh.  And I really did need it for my upcoming complete security background investigation renewal where I have to list all my foreign travels.  They get picky if you omit things for whatever reasons and I had about ten trips to country at that time on that old passport whose months and dates I would never recall from memory, including a few visa runs to Cambodia which had to be reported.  No issues, just no good memory!