Standard Visitors Visa for a child relative

Were currently looking into applying for a visitors visa for our niece to come to the UK for a month.

We are currently in Thailand on holiday with our kids and would like to bring back our niece for a short holiday.

Has anyone recently done this? Im looking for all the documents I need on the .gov website and its not very clear.

So far its looks like she must provide.

Her passport including passport sized photos.

Birth certificate

Financial documents from her sponsor who will be us. I read 6 months worth of bank statements.

A signed letter from her parents giving us permission to take her.

Copy of her mothers Passport or ID card.

Also when we go to apply for this at the VFS it says a parent or guardian must accompany the child. Can this be a relative as neither parent are available?

Thanks for any help, we have about 4 weeks to get this sorted before flying back.

Jared

I'm not sure that you need the birth certificate as the passport is proof of identification, if the child has an ID you should include that.

Passport photos are no longer required.

The documentary evidence seems fine to me, as far as the sponsorship goes, but you really need to provide evidence of the child's life in Thailand, you don't say how old she is. I would be looking for evidence of her schooling and anything else that ties her to Thailand. I would also be including details of what she plans to do in the UK and maybe details of the travel arrangements for her return to Thailand, as I say I've no idea how old the child is.

If the mothers letter is written in English she might well get a telephone call from the ECO if they have any questions re the application, if she's written in English they will expect her to communicate in English, other wise let her write in Thai and get the letter translated.

I wouldn't foresee a problem with you acting as the child's guardian during the visit to VFS, that's an "educated" guess though.  

Thanks for your reply.

In the supporting documents guide in the .gov website is says this below so we will add a Birth Certificate.

Under 18s – we strongly recommend you submit the following information otherwise it may delay consideration of your application.

a Birth Certificate or legal document (such as adoption papers) showing the relationship between you and your parent or guardian

Passport photos I read both, the .gov website says that you need one but later on they say you dont need them because of the biometrics.

My niece is 11 and in school in Thailand, we have just got a letter from the school allowing her the time off so we will add this as well. She also has a couple of savings accounts and we will add statements from those.

Ok we have one letter with an official stamp that gives my wife permission to take my daughter out of the UK at the Thai end but will need to get this translated for the Uk end. Infact we will probably have to do a second letter because not all of the details are on this letter. We need a letter with details of where she will stay, sponsors address DOB etc.

Hopefully my wife is able to act as her guardian when we visit the VFS.