Being pressured to pay off wife's mother's large debt.

6 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Your correct in your thinking and position although in this culture their thinking is terrible screwed in that area and you will be on the wrong side of that. Helping to support an aging parent is one thing and I'm all for it but not to resolve past debts and bad spending habits doesn't fall into that category.

Thank you Dan

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This means that you obviously don't love your gf. Otherwise, you would help her and her family so that everybody will live happily ever after.

At least that is what your gf will make you believe.

There is an easy solution: Tell her that won't happen and tell her if she ever brings it up again then you will separate from her.

One way or another, that will permanently solve the problem. And unfortunately, it is probably the only way to permanently solve it. 

Thank you OMF 

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

when you start dating someone, the first and most important thing to ask is "how much is she going to cost me?"

STF that's what I have learnt, you're right

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

when you start dating someone, the first and most important thing to ask is "how much is she going to cost me?"

First time I spent time in my mother in law house, I asked her what she expected of me before I left. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you are obviously a mature and intelligent individual. 

but even that doesn't protect you 100%. if your wife runs a business that fails or any other number of scenarios, it becomes your problem.

marriage is basically joint finances, for better or worse. 

My wife is a housewife, and even we are married, we have not registered marriage in Thailand. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aust24R said:

I'm not responsible for your Mum's debts and it'd be akin to throwing my money away

The Thai horn of plenty - the cup that endlessly refills - especially if you have built your house on land Mama owns - pay off the debt or lose the house to the money lender, then they rinse and repeat.

you can refuse to pay but then your girlfriend will be in a permanent mope - how can she be happy she will tell you when she has this "ploblem"? of course yours *COULD* be different.

• Thumbs Up 2