I'm In The Dog House

GuestHouse

I've just knocked the rice cooker off the kitchen work surface.

Half cooked rice and bits of broken rice cooker every where! :o

It was horrible, just like all the worst disasters - all in slow motion - My life, for what little it's now worth, flashed before my eyes.

Oh woe is me. :D

WOW ...not only did you break the cooker but had to throw away good rice! .... oh you are sooo in trouble. :D

As for getting a new one they must sell em somewhere in Rome..... either that or it's an import job.

By the way I have a spare ( never used ) if you get real desperate. I'm in the UK but I am always willing to help a fellow TV when the rice hits the fan. :o

Quote,

As for getting a new one they must sell em somewhere in Rome..... either that or it's an import job.

................................................................................

WHAT, buy a new one????? :o

Get her to cook rice the old fashioned way before rice cookers were invented, taste better as well in IMHO?

I sympathise with you GuestHouse... rice boiled in a pot doesn't taste anything like rice cooked in a proper cooker.

I bet your missus was livid.

:D

But I'll also bet that she's found a workaround within 2-3 days... :o

Very resourceful are Thais.

:D

You're well and truly shafted Itchy ... :D

Now is the time to go against all the sensible advice you have offered in the past on this and other forums ... spend your life savings, mia nois, pua nois, katoys, gambling, alcohol, drugs and pizzas ... :o

Consider every moment now a bonus ... the clock is ticking, the clock is ticking ... :D

Hi GH,

I don't know Rome very well, but I have a feeling your best bets (only pointing a possible direction here, I'm afraid) will be the Zojirushi or Oster Rice Cookers. I base this on what are the more common ones slightly to the North of you Ventimiglia San Remo area.

As to the "where", I imagine you'll find some decent kitchenware stores on a shopping high street, as do the smaller towns in my area, or else at your local weekly market.

I know that the market in San Remo here (20mins away) has just about everything. It's a weekly do. You are in a big city, should be a breeze mate!

Failing all of that (which you won't!) look up your local thai or chinese, or japanese restaurants, and ask 'em if they know where to get one.

G'luck!

Another frivolous, nonsense post.

Good grief, i bet it's a barrel of laughs in your home.

Anway OP. You know what they say. When in Rome. Or am i thinking of something else.

A tip for cooking rice. Do it in a pan, add a little lump of unsalted butter and bring to boil. Once the water has reached boiling point, simmer until the water has been absorbed. Leave to stand for a few minutes off the hobb. Note though, do not stir the rice while cooking. The bottom should not burn if you simmer and it tastes lovely.

Long live the frivolous and nonsense post!

Edited by ltdknowledge

with more insight into Thai culture than the rest of you can usually manage......

What's this got to do with Thai culture? Some women I know are fussy and would be upset about this incident. Others I know, would not make any fuss about it at all. It all depends on the personality of the woman, not the culture. Give me a break.

with more insight into Thai culture than the rest of you can usually manage......

What's this got to do with Thai culture? Some women I know are fussy and would be upset about this incident. Others I know, would not make any fuss about it at all. It all depends on the personality of the woman, not the culture. Give me a break.

Clearly you are unaware of the belief of some/many Thais in a 'rice spirit' who should be thanked for providing rice, and apologised to when food is not finished. Thailand is founded on 3 things: our beloved royal family, the people, and rice.

I am fairly sure that while I have not met Guesthouse that this is posted slightly tongue in cheek, but nonetheless says a lot about life in Rome. I heard that people in Rome wink, so you should wink the same as them. Or is that mixing sayings?

I still think she would be more upset about the mia noi; I recommend that we use Guesthouse as a guinea pig; he should have a nice hi maintenance mia noi kept in a nice little love nest in the area around Portofino perhaps; for instance perhaps Mint Ardawadee for instance, or Pae of Gucci fame (Pae speaks Italian, and has those child bearing Italian hips); then we can tell his wife, he can have a fight with her, and then he can explain to us whether his theory is indeed true that the magnitude of anger from having nong Pae/Mint on the side is greater or less than breaking the rice cooker.

H0 = the means are equal.

H1 = the means are not equal.

If he could ask he the same question 50 times, and she could answer 50 times, not uncommon in a typical argument, with a rating of 1 to 10 in anger for each variable, then we will have better statistical significance, and we can use a T test, with a p value of say 0.05. I say it will be a normal distribution, but I am no statistician. I can see this is probably the most productive thing to come out of Thaivisa this week. It will be academic research that we can publish in a quality newspaper, or perhaps The Nation/ BKK Post.

Ta22.

Firstly there is an amount of observation of Thai culture in my post.

Secondly, if you know, please tell me, where can I buy a rice cooker in Rome?

Why are you on this site if you are in Rome? Do you really think anyone here will know where to buy a rice cooker?

I'd recommend a Italian expat forum.

Ta22.

Firstly there is an amount of observation of Thai culture in my post.

Secondly, if you know, please tell me, where can I buy a rice cooker in Rome?

Can send you a sharp computer rice cooker with FedEx if you can pay (don't worry for the cooker price, worry for the shipping fee).