Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Pib

Have the problems with Windows Mail been fixed? Currently it's lousy as (a) you can't easily create new files or manipulate those that you already have, (b) emails are often linked to previous threads rather than chronologically, (c) exisiting emails don't automatically sync - it seems necessary to manually sync each folder in turn. I am close to dumping it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found using MS Mail or Gmail via their browser type interface is so caveman...really not user friendly for dealing with email unless your email sent/received consists of just a few lines....basically very simple emails.  

I've used Outlook as my email client for years and years, work and home.  I use Outlook as my POP/IMAP interface to my Gmail and MS email accounts...gets me into the 21st century in using email versus the age of dinosaurs.

But with that being said, I do access Gmail via the Android Gmail app to do quick reads/reviews and sending of short emails....and to check my gmail spam folder.  Works good for that.

Edited by Pib

Did the Win 10 Anniversary update tonight, via the manual download process listed above, on my main desktop PC.

The install was successful, and everything mostly seems OK, but there were a few hickups.

--the original version I had of Classic Shell, which was up to date, was uninstalled by the update, and it turns out there's a new version that's compatible with Win 10 Ann. Once reinstalled, the new version picked up my prior Classic Shell Start Menu.

--for reasons that weren't explained, the upgrade somehow disrupted my existing Dropbox install, and Dropbox prompted me to reinstall a new version.

--although there was no visible sign of any problem, the upgrade seems to have caused a problem with my MagicJack USB phone. The phone still works, but for some reason, no longer installs/shows the device's contacts lists in the MJ app.

Well, things were going OK until I noticed my Intel NIC (82579V Gigabit) was disconnecting and cycling between being plugged in and unplugged. Then would reset and connect for another 10 minutes or so at 100MB instead of 1Gb.

When I did some checking Win 10 has installed its own drivers. I reinstalled Intel's latest software and it is working again.

On my laptop, Win 10 has installed its own set of drivers for Intel WiFi (AC 3160) NIC again performance was not as good so I reinstalled the Intel drivers.

The next thing is that Win 10 no longer supports the Intel WiDi interface, despite Intel having a set of dedicated Win 10 x64 drivers, it will not run the install program a says this app is no longer usable on this PC. Wouldn't mind but the Win version of WiDi will not connect to my Samsung Series 5 Smart TV!

Bluetooth drivers were also messed with on the laptop so a fresh install from Intel fixed that.

Next I went and turned off the driver automatic updates for "Other manufacturers devices" to prevent Win 10 reinstalling its own drivers.

Everything for now seems stable.

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that is what discouraged me from installing Win 10 until recently, as I thought that might be a feature. Torrents are NOT only used to download pirated material, so preventing me from using such a site means I have changed my Update setting from Automatic to Tell Me It's There. I'm happy enough with the Win 10 I've got, especially as I've made it look like Win 7 with Classic Shell. Win 7 look (no tiles) and Win 10 speed.

Yeah but I asked "What software switch" and I notice there is no answer. I suspect Windows 10 did something else, like disable an incompatible torrent program, so nothing to worry about.

QBitTorrent still flying for me.

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

For those like me who are annoyed with the Win 10 Start Up there is a clean and free solution to go back to Win 7 and even WinXP start up.

ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe

Can be found at 

http://filehippo.com/download_classic_shell/

Here's the direct home page download link from Classic Shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

It's normally, if everything is going right, a 3 step process if triggering the update manually, instead of via Windows Update.

First, download a 5.5 MB file that runs something called Windows Update Assistant. That checks your PC and then, if everything OK. Step 2, it starts the download of the Windows 10 Anniversary update, which is going to take a while to download because it's a large file.

Then, Step 3, the update is going to install basically an entirely new version of Windows 10 on your PC, while keeping your existing applications and files intact. That's also going to take quite a while to complete, and will restart your PC along the way.

That small/5.5MB file that downloads, after it downloads you may need to double click on it to get it started....then as TallGuy above described it downloads and installs the anniversary update.   This process will take a while depending on the speed of  your internet connection, how busy the MS servers are, how fast your computer is, etc.  On my Lenovo laptop i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, SSD, AIS Fibre 50Mb speed internet, the whole process took 57 minutes.

Edited by Pib

then go and turn off all the telemetry stuff, not that it probably is gonna help, the OS is morphing into the equivalent of a mobile phone OS, if you create a MS store account, it wants you to then use that password as your computer login, 

you will be assimilated, as the borg says 

Yes, I'd second that recommendation.

Once the Anniversary Update is installed, when it runs for the first time, you DO NOT want to choose the Express Setup Option. Instead choose the Custom setup option, and then you'll have several pages of set-up choice options to say YES or NO to.

Most of them involved telling the OS whether you want it to share various of your web browsing and other data and computer info with Microsoft (and that includes enabling Cortana). These are the settings where various folks accused MS of providing a new OS in 10 that spies on their computer use.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did decide to say NO to all of those info sharing settings, except for one that involves allowing the browser to check against known phishing and malware sites. That's the single one I enabled.

Took the plunge, and it went smoothly and overall, I see nothing horrible.

Except, in their typical Microsoft arrogance, they have disabled the function to eliminate the lock screen.  WTH?  On a desktop computer, what is so earthshakingly important about a lock screen?  I don't want one and always eliminated it on my desktop computer on previous Windows versions -- it's annoying to have to dismiss a lock screen before being able to log on.  Leave it to Microsoft to know better than I what I want/need and REMOVE a useful feature.

A couple other odds and ends:

1. I noticed there's now a section in the settings for Background Programs. And as a default after the Anniversary Edition install, a sh** load of MS programs that most people probably will never use are all set to run by default in the background and use system resources. It's an easy list to go thru, and turn off the background ops you don't want/need.

2. Once you're sure you won't need to revert back to your original, non-Anniversary edition of Windows 10, go into Disc Cleanup and choose System Resources. There, you'll have the opportunity to remove/delete probably 10+ GB of un-needed files -- your prior install of Windows 10 and various setup programs. But, ONLY after you're SURE you won't need to revert back to the prior version.

On 05/08/2016 at 10:25 AM, Generalchaos said:

Installed the update Wednesday, it is a big update, 3.7GB. Installed without any problem but has completely stopped my Outlook Mail from running within the Desktop and cannot use the Outlook setup to re enter the details, it just does nothing when I click on it.

Other than that it is an improvement I would say.

On 05/08/2016 at 10:25 AM, Generalchaos said:

Installed the update Wednesday, it is a big update, 3.7GB. Installed without any problem but has completely stopped my Outlook Mail from running within the Desktop and cannot use the Outlook setup to re enter the details, it just does nothing when I click on it.

Other than that it is an improvement I would say.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A couple other odds and ends:

1. I noticed there's now a section in the settings for Background Programs. And as a default after the Anniversary Edition install, a sh** load of MS programs that most people probably will never use are all set to run by default in the background and use system resources. It's an easy list to go thru, and turn off the background ops you don't want/need.

2. Once you're sure you won't need to revert back to your original, non-Anniversary edition of Windows 10, go into Disc Cleanup and choose System Resources. There, you'll have the opportunity to remove/delete probably 10+ GB of un-needed files -- your prior install of Windows 10 and various setup programs. But, ONLY after you're SURE you won't need to revert back to the prior version.

It was there before the anniversary update. Settings > Privacy > Background Programs

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Except, in their typical Microsoft arrogance, they have disabled the function to eliminate the lock screen.  WTH?  On a desktop computer, what is so earthshakingly important about a lock screen?  I don't want one and always eliminated it on my desktop computer on previous Windows versions -- it's annoying to have to dismiss a lock screen before being able to log on.  Leave it to Microsoft to know better than I what I want/need and REMOVE a useful feature.

You can turn off the lock screen by going into Settings  -Accounts - Sign in options. Go down to the bottom you should see lock screen, select that, go to the bottom again and turn the lock screen off.

7 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

You can turn off the lock screen by going into Settings  -Accounts - Sign in options. Go down to the bottom you should see lock screen, select that, go to the bottom again and turn the lock screen off.

On that screen the only option I see is to show/not show a background picture, which, by the way doesn't work -- I changed it to off and still have (a) the lock screen and (b) a background picture.

9 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

It was there before the anniversary update. Settings > Privacy > Background Programs

Thanks.  I found it and you're right -- there's a TON of apps listed there.

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Thanks.  I found it and you're right -- there's a TON of apps listed there.

By the way, just to be clear, by unchecking any of those programs, you're not uninstalling or disabling them.

You're just telling the OS not to load and keep them running in the background all the time, using up system memory and such.

You can turn off those various programs as desired, and then if you click their program or shortcut icon, they'll still open and run. They just won't be doing things behind the scenes when you haven't opened them.

Yea, those background apps in Settings > Privacy > Background Programs where there before the anniversary update....been  there since Win 10's initial/public release I think.   Seems most of those programs are probably shown as tiles when you click on the Windows icon and you can see some of those apps/tiles updating themselves like a new story, weather, mail, etc.  Kinda like how so many apps on your smartphone/tablet are always working just a little in the background/accessing the internet to check for updates, email, etc.

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

On that screen the only option I see is to show/not show a background picture, which, by the way doesn't work -- I changed it to off and still have (a) the lock screen and (b) a background picture.

It worked for me, I know it's a cliche but turn you computer off (not restart) and on again.

On 8/8/2016 at 0:40 AM, elfpattaya said:
On 8/7/2016 at 8:21 AM, wpcoe said:

On 8/7/2016 at 0:47 PM, elfpattaya said:

On 8/7/2016 at 8:03 PM, wpcoe said:

On 8/8/2016 at 0:40 AM, elfpattaya said:

Just to make sure:  You are using the Windows 10 Anniversary Updated version?  

And this is the screen you're using?

lockscreen.gif

(Seems to be a wee bit of a bug when quoting multiple messages...)

Edited by wpcoe
add image

50 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Just to make sure:  You are using the Windows 10 Anniversary Updated version?  

And this is the screen you're using?

lockscreen.gif

(Seems to be a wee bit of a bug when quoting multiple messages...)

Yes that's the one. Do you mean you have to sign in on lock screen,  if so look at this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONAKzmS5hbI

???  The solution to bypass the lock screen is to remove your password and leave your computer unsecured?  That's akin to having your leg amputated because it has an annoying itch.   :facepalm:

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Pib said:

I've always found using MS Mail or Gmail via their browser type interface is so caveman...really not user friendly for dealing with email unless your email sent/received consists of just a few lines....basically very simple emails.  

I've used Outlook as my email client for years and years, work and home.  I use Outlook as my POP/IMAP interface to my Gmail and MS email accounts...gets me into the 21st century in using email versus the age of dinosaurs.

But with that being said, I do access Gmail via the Android Gmail app to do quick reads/reviews and sending of short emails....and to check my gmail spam folder.  Works good for that.

Ditto, almost. Replace Outlook in your post with Outlook Express for me. I collect mail from 3 x Gmail, 4 x Hotmail and 1 x Yahoo accounts. And I use the phone just for reading my main Gmail.

I like being a  dinosaur.