Thai men took off their shirts to keep 'homeless' farang warm, didn't forget to film themselves (VIDEO)

webfact

Thai men took off their shirts to keep 'homeless' farang warm, didn't forget to film themselves (VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok

homeless_foreigner.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A video of two Thai men going out of their way to help a foreigner on a street has made an impression on Thai netizens while, at the same time, sparked criticism — because why film a video when you genuinely want to help someone?

In the video, posted on July 27, Facebook user Chalad Ton takes off his green T-shirt and tries to put it on a foreigner who sits in front of a convenience store on a rainy day. The white man looks confused at first but accepted Chalad’s shirt.

Then, another Thai man comes in, takes off his moto jacket, and hands it to the foreigner. Chalad also gives the man some cash (looks like a couple hundred-baht bills).

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/04/thai-men-took-their-shirts-keep-homeless-farang-warm-didnt-forget-film-themselves-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-04

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to these two good samaritans, these younger generations film absolutely everything these days. 

It won't be long before everyone just has their own GoPro camera mounted on their head to film every moment of their lives.

I've always wondered how some farangs survive here without visas and cash. Over the years there have been many stories of homeless farangs being cared for by Thais who felt sorry for them. I'd guess most of those were collected by immigration and sent on their way after the promotional videos or stories in the paper.

10 minutes ago, Alive said:

I've always wondered how some farangs survive here without visas and cash. Over the years there have been many stories of homeless farangs being cared for by Thais who felt sorry for them. I'd guess most of those were collected by immigration and sent on their way after the promotional videos or stories in the paper.

Yes collected by the immigration and locked up until they can pay for a plane ticket back to their own country which most of these people can't so they remain locked up(forever) because Thai government will not help them and neither will the embassies. Go check out the immigration jail in Bangkok for proof.

The Thais can't seem to grasp this simple Christian concept.  Of course, they've probably never heard it before since most are only aware of certain Buddhist principles to which most only give lip service, but fail miserably in actual practical application.

Matthew 6:2-4
So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be praised by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward (the praise only of men and none from God).  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.… 

20 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Yes collected by the immigration and locked up until they can pay for a plane ticket back to their own country which most of these people can't so they remain locked up(forever) because Thai government will not help them and neither will the embassies. Go check out the immigration jail in Bangkok for proof.

Where is the Immigration jail?

I would like to check it out. 

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

In fairness to these two good samaritans, these younger generations film absolutely everything these days. 

It won't be long before everyone just has their own GoPro camera mounted on their head to film every moment of their lives.

You can already buy cameras that you wear which take a picture every few seconds.  Video is harder because of the storage requirements, but that is also possible if you live somewhere with good internet everywhere so you can stream to the cloud.

Its called 'Life Logging' and includes tracking your sleep patterns, movement, eating, weight and whatever other data you can capture.

http://www.wareable.com/cameras/best-wearable-lifelogging-cameras

48 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

The Thais can't seem to grasp this simple Christian concept.  Of course, they've probably never heard it before since most are only aware of certain Buddhist principles to which most only give lip service, but fail miserably in actual practical application.

So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be praised by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward (the praise only of men and none from God).  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.… 

There's a very common Thai expression for giving in secret- ปิดทองหลังพระ placing gold leaf on the back of a statue of the Lord Buddha. 

16 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The Immigration Detention Center (jail) is located at 507 Soi Suan Plu near the immigration office which is close to south Sathon road. Go there and see how the prisoners live in squalid, inhumane conditions, squashed together like sardines in "rooms" with no windows, barely any food unless one has money to buy food. Exercise is sometimes allowed twice a week, visits 5 times a week and there is a missionary guy that visits the African inmates.

But life for a person who has no money or friends will be very tough if he survives. The immigration officers are not in the least bit concerned whether a prisoner lives or dies, as they rarely venture upstairs because they have a bunch of Burmese trustees who do all the everyday tasks, locking doors, dispensing the "food", collecting prisoners for whatever reason etc.

Check out how many prisoners have been there for years, a lot.

35 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The Bangkok facility is on Suan Plu, off Sathorn Rd.   Phone ahead for an appointment to view the inmates and to book lunch or afternoon tea. There are some rare and exotic specimens kept there

Visitors are welcome, leave a few baht as a good gesture.

36 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Suan Plu Detention Center

Sub-division 3, Investigation Division Immigration Bureau

507 Soi Suan Plu, Sathorn Road, Thoongmahamek

Sathorn, Bangkok

Tel: 011-662-287-3101

IDC - Bangkok

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Do they allow random people just to come in the jail and gawk at people inside? 

I was being facetious in my previous post, but I doubt they allow people to wander in and have a look round.

It is, after all, a detention center and not an adoption facility where they have cute cats and dogs.

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I was being facetious in my previous post, but I doubt they allow people to wander in and have a look round.

It is, after all, a detention center and not an adoption facility where they have cute cats and dogs.

Well that spoils my plans for tomorrow afternoon. :(

4 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Well that spoils my plans for tomorrow afternoon. :(

Well played.

Great humor.

The idea was appealing...almost like a real-time TVF thread.

So to be clear...are you now saying that it is not possible to take a tour of the jail and get first hand accounts? 

maybe the farang had taken his top off because it was to hot for him.

''Here take my jacket''

''I don't want your jacket, i'm just hot''

''Are you filming Somchai''?

''Yes''

''Put the jacket on you stupid farang or you'll get a good beating''

''make him smile''

''He wont''

''Kick him when i turn the camera away''

Maybe it wasn't like that but who knows

the boys have themselves filmed-in-the-act, to protect themselves from being accused of robbing/assaulting him

They are not quite in the same boat as the hi-so actors/celebrities, who always do this stuff in a photo-shoot for publicity

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

It is as much a Buddhist concept as it is a Christian, Muslim and Hindu concept.  It amazes me how many Christians seem to think that it is their faith that is the charitable one.  Find me a Thai who does not know how to make merit, the first way being to give alms without expectation of anything in return, absolutely everyone knows this, Thais have not lost their faith like the Christian countries. Now find me a Brit or Australian or American who can give just me one single quote from the bible without looking it up first.  Your post is completely deluded, it is the Christians who are religious only to give lip service, as your post demonstrates as you cherry pick from the bible whilst simultaneously ignoring the rest to launch a generalised attack on a whole nation, your practical application of Christianity was a hypocritically ironic fail today.

1 hour ago, Alive said:

COMPASSION!

How long have you been here that you don't know about "metta"?

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Wrong, the homeless ones are left alone. I know as I used to live on the street. Drunks and addicts are left alone by the police as they have compassion and know they have no money.

It amazes me how many farang would walk right past a troubled soul from their own country, yet fill their egos full to the brim when they save a farmers daughter from a life of prostitution. 

I am forever grateful to the ONE farang(Yank) who took me and paid for hospital treatment in 1987 when I was having withdrawal symptoms outside a supermarket in Pat Pong.