Booze-free Weekend: Referendum vote brings nationwide alcohol ban

webfact

21 minutes ago, anthony0339 said:

Serious problems if you cannot do without a drink of alcohol for a couple of days.

serious problem they feel the need to enforce their morals on other people.......and I dont drink

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, johnmcc6 said:

This is a referendum for Thais. If the tourists can't appreciate they are in a foreign country  and respect their rules well that is just to bad. Instead of sitting there with your comments why not run out and buy some booze?

its hardly a referendum its a  vote for  this or vote for this scenario its a one horse race

1 hour ago, johnmcc6 said:

Actually they do ban machine guns. All those fancy automatic looking weapons only fire one shot at a time. If you rig it to do otherwise you are a lawbreaker. A gun is no different to a brick. It is the person holding it which makes it  a weapon or a patio ornament.

lol, that's the most ridiculous thing I've read for a long time.

Brainwashed by Charlton Heston methinks.

3 hours ago, mcfish said:

I remember not so long ago all pubs and bars in Oz had to shut over a few days in Xmas. So yes it happens in 1st world as well.
Lucky my condo shop in jomtien have their own laws

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Crap the only time you can not get a drink in Australia is Good Friday even Christmas day is open to hotels to serve 

alcohol and Anzac day you are not allowed to open a pup or restaurant before 12 pm after that it is allowed 

A country which has to prohibit booze sales on referendums is possibly not quite grown-up for referendums in the first place?

Interesting is, that it affects also those alien who cannot participate in referendums while you can get stone-pissed in any hotel.

By experience most mom-and-pop shops sell anything anytime as they have to make ends meet; take booze out of entertainment or dining and you have literally empty glasses to look at; neither half full nor half empty anymore. Seriously good for business 8-) 

Coming a mere fortnight after a Buddhist booze ban - well, welcome to Thailand. No other country in the region has such outdated medieval laws ....

Stupid me, these laws are there for the BiB to line their pockets - they cannot survive on their meagre income from ransacking motorcycle drivers without helmets or driving in the fast lane while the normal lane is albeit empty but so <deleted> up that it feels like a fantastic ride on a rollercoaster. 

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

A country which has to prohibit booze sales on referendums is possibly not quite grown-up for referendums in the first place?

Interesting is, that it affects also those alien who cannot participate in referendums while you can get stone-pissed in any hotel.

By experience most mom-and-pop shops sell anything anytime as they have to make ends meet; take booze out of entertainment or dining and you have literally empty glasses to look at; neither half full nor half empty anymore. Seriously good for business 8-) 

Coming a mere fortnight after a Buddhist booze ban - well, welcome to Thailand. No other country in the region has such outdated medieval laws ....

Stupid me, these laws are there for the BiB to line their pockets - they cannot survive on their meagre income from ransacking motorcycle drivers without helmets or driving in the fast lane while the normal lane is albeit empty but so f......ed up that it feels like a fantastic ride on a rollercoaster. 

Which countries are you referring to -  Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar?

Hardly a big deal unless you can't enjoy yourself sober.

This is nothing to go ballistic about.  First, it is asbout SALES. And,   no, you won't be assaulted by some armoured police swat team at home, which seems to be an American ""Rambo" problem these days since the American army has unloaded at no cost all sorts of warfare weaponry on local police.  And, no,  a party with five or more people at your house will not be raided unless you advertise bad-mouthing the referendum, the NCPO, or Royalty.  I wouldn't suggest raising a red shirt on the flag pole in your garden!

So, thirsty?  Stock up!  Or go to church or something!

Cheers!

Edited by Mapguy

Johnniey

• Platinum Member
  •  
  • Johnniey
  • Advanced Members
  • 2,550 posts
27 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Stupid me, these laws are there for the BiB to line their pockets - they cannot survive on their meagre income from ransacking motorcycle drivers without helmets or driving in the fast lane while the normal lane is albeit empty but so f......ed up that it feels like a fantastic ride on a rollercoaster. 

Which countries are you referring to -  Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar?

Hardly a big deal unless you can't enjoy yourself sober.

It is just that it is rediculous..... I punishes the people who just want to have a drink with friends or a drink with dinner (after they went to vote) but does not a thing to the problem drinker who is stocked up at home and is hung over the next day and don't vote (for his referendum) but goes out driving drunk in his pickup with all the family in the back. It is only a 'face thing' and of no real value or help.

Very, very similar to the new lady Tourism Minister and her 'Propaganda' about "No Sex Please, We are Thai"

Many years ago I flew to India from London, planning to visit some of the more isolated parts of the country.

First stop was Bhopal which, unknown to me, was about to hold a local election. There was a complete ban on booze to ensure that the election was fair and proper.

There was no Internet in those days, so no real way of checking such things in advance. Fortunately, I had bought a bottle of Scotch on the plane for emergencies!

The hotel we were staying in was adamant that no alcohol could be sold at all.

So I consulted my guidebook and found there was an old colonial golf club a few kilometres up the road, surely they would be more likely to sell us a drink, I reasoned.

The manager was exceedingly friendly, but nothing would induce him to part with any booze, he even took me to the cellar to show me all the bottles of whisky marked by the police to make sure they couldn’t sell a single measure.

So the ban on alcohol during elections is not exclusive to Thailand by any means.

Incidentally, about 4 or 5 days later, I read one of the local papers. The results of a very sober election had come through. Bhopal had elected three eunuchs!

So much for sobriety.

Yes closed from 6pm Saturday to midnight on Sunday (that means bars could open) but off sales (supermarkets, 7/11s etc) are closed 'till 11am on Monday.

For normal elections bars open again not long after the polling stations close.

Don't count on it happening this weekend though.

:violin:

6pm Saturday - 11am Monday.
Thats 41 hours to sober up and tick No.
Sober up, sh1t no, got my fridge stocked. Time for you to do the same.

10 hours ago, DM07 said:

Again: a government, telling its people, what they can or can not do!

What government doesn't tell it's people what they can or can not do?

The word government is derived from "govern," which implies control. And most western countries have had rules about consumption of alcohol & other substances, where one can smoke, how one behaves, etc. In theory at least, it's all intended for the general good ... and based on the unfortunate assumption that if people are left to do as they please, it seldom ends well.

1 hour ago, tomyumchai said:

You might think they would promote alcohol around these times, even put up a laokhao tent next to the polling centres...... "here you go somchai, 2 more slugs of paint stripper if you put your X in our box......."hic"

Can't do that, it is classed as vote buying.

TRT party used to give out clothes and other gifts before the election, that is supposed to have been stopped too. Not sure how the cash is given out these days... But this is a referendum, so not quite as Party orientated.

14 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Surely some posters don't really think that this sales (and commercial giveaway) ban applies to people drinking or serving alcohol in their own homes? 

Hopefully they are not that stupid, although sometimes I do wonder.  

You can't honestly expect tourists to be dictated to on holiday.

Sure , your laws , your country.

But having the right to choose another country ( The Tourist) 

Maybe treating them as adults and not children as you do your own populace we might not feel so annoyed being told we can't have a glass of wine or beer

Can anybody explain the logic in the government banning all alcohol sales and consumption every time there is a holiday for a national or relgious celebration or Royal's birthday, for which Thailand must hold the world record. What has abstinence from booze got to do with any of this? Sure, some sensible restrictions might be justifiable but why a blanket ban that even covers enjoying a glass of wine with a meal in a restaurant? We all celebrate in our own way, provided we are not causing nuisance to others we don't need the thought police telling us how to live.