Police hunting for gun-flashing teens in Cherng Talay

webfact

Police hunting for gun-flashing teens in Cherng Talay

Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police are checking CCTV for two teenagers on a black Honda Wave who allegedly flashed a gun at motorists in Cherng Talay yesterday (Aug 4).

Satja Kongrat, 20, and his passenger, Ekkachai Chaidam,19, told police that they were travelling on Srisoonthorn Rd heading home to Baan Bangtao at about 6pm when two young men, estimated to be 17-19 years old, flashed a gun at them.

“The victims said that when they neared the Cherng Talay Municipal fresh market (opposite the Lim Sai Su Chinese Shrine), two teenagers on a Honda Wave drove beside them and looked at them before cutting in front of them,” reported Lt Peerasit Noopayan of the Cherng Talay Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-hunting-for-gun-flashing-teens-in-cherng-talay-58557.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-05

The gun problem is out of hand in Phuket. I've seen people with guns, heard of many people with guns and read about people with guns all the time. And it's people who are not shy to use these guns for all the wrong reasons. It's quite scary to be honest. And I don't think the authorities can get this problem sorted.

Two times per year or so they have road checks where they look for weapons but

1. They are always in the same places

2. They are visible from far and people can just turn around

3. They happen at pretty much the same times of the year when there is a "crackdown"

So those checks are easily avoided. With the amount of violent crime here, you'd think they'd have them once per month at a random time in a random location with more of an element of surprise.

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The gun problem is out of hand in Phuket. I've seen people with guns, heard of many people with guns and read about people with guns all the time. And it's people who are not shy to use these guns for all the wrong reasons. It's quite scary to be honest. And I don't think the authorities can get this problem sorted.

And the more scarey aspect is that not many use guns for crime, they use the guns to 'save face' and settle petty personal disputes.  I've been on the wrong end of a gun barrel here in Patong due to road rage.  

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

And the more scarey aspect is that not many use guns for crime, they use the guns to 'save face' and settle petty personal disputes.  I've been on the wrong end of a gun barrel here in Patong due to road rage.  

I completely agree with you. I kinda hinted at it with "for all the wrong reasons" but I think you painted a clearer picture as to how ludicrous these "reasons" are. I guess it's the combination of a life apparently being not worth much here and no consideration for the future or any consequences of one owns actions. I think quite a lot more expats would leave if they were not socially quite commited because of e.g. family here.

On the night of the 2nd August, I made a west facing U-Turn near Supalai Essence in Srisoonthorn Road. I watched a motor cycle come to a stop next to me to do an East facing U-Turn. A car came thorough the corner on my left, after this car passed me, the road was clear, nothing in sight.

I did my U-Turn and was already traveling in the left lane and all of a sudden two motorcycles roared up next to me. One took off at high speed, the other came closer and I watched the person put their hand inside their jacket and pull something out, which was pointed at me. Having lightening quick reflexes, I jammed on my brakes and heard a popping sound.

The motorcyclist then sped off off on a their big bike.

Yesterday watching my in car camera footage, I was not in the wrong, but the two motorcycles were racing at very high speed and I was just in their way.

I did not come to any harm, other than a big shock. The Imam in Pa Klok was shot at with his family yesterday, they sustained injuries to their persons.

Did I report it, no.

You can work out why not?

Edited by Inepto Cracy
Additional comment.

10 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

On the night of the 2nd August, I made a west facing U-Turn near Supalai Essence in Srisoonthorn Road. I watched a motor cycle come to a stop next to me to do an East facing U-Turn. A car came thorough the corner on my left, after this car passed me, the road was clear, nothing in sight.

I did my U-Turn and was already traveling in the left lane and all of a sudden two motorcycles roared up next to me. One took off at high speed, the other came closer and I watched the person put their hand inside their jacket and pull something out, which was pointed at me. Having lightening quick reflexes, I jammed on my brakes and heard a popping sound.

The motorcyclist then sped off off on a their big bike.

Yesterday watching my in car camera footage, I was not in the wrong, but the two motorcycles were racing at very high speed and I was just in their way.

I did not come to any harm, other than a big shock. The Imam in Pa Klok was shot at with his family yesterday, they sustained injuries to their persons.

Did I report it, no.

You can work out why not?

Sounds like you were very lucky to be unharmed , could well have been a different story if you had not had your wits about you . For sure any type of confrontation with a Thai is to be avoided as the outcome can be bad for one's health but in your case that must have been the last thing on your mind when carrying out a basic traffic manoeuvre . You just never know what is going to happen over here especially when driving with the multitude of hazards on the roads . To assume anything here , be it on the roads or general day to day life is not a good move . I try to be prepared for the unpredictable and do not employ my western norms .