Gluten in most Thai noodles ?

freedomnow

The only ones "I believe" are gluten free are the "glass noodles"  made from Mung Beans.  "Rice noodles" theoretically should be gluten free as well.  The problem is, as always, contamination in the processing plants.  Also are you a "true Celiac" case.  Or just sensitive per Anti - Gliadin antibody levels.

I have elevated Anti- Gliadin levels per blood work but still eat some wheat/bread but keep it to a minimum.  Most of the noodles I think are wheat based.  That's why they taste so good.  MSG everywhere also.

Not full Celiac, but I get the awful brain fog for hours after anything with gluten along with lowered energy levels. It comes on more now, than when I was younger and more resistant to these side-effects.

Good to know, thanks !

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Not full Celiac, but I get the awful brain fog for hours after anything with gluten along with lowered energy levels. It comes on more now, than when I was younger and more resistant to these side-effects.

Good to know, thanks !

You should get tested.  Pretty simple blood/saliva tests...  https://www.google.co.th/search?q=gluten+sensitivity+blood+test&oq=gluten+sensitivity+blood+test&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.11371j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Good to know, thanks !

If you have this amazing talent to detect the presence of gluten in food, why do you need to post here asking about the gluten content in Thai noodles? Surely you'd know after a few mouthfuls and a pause whether there were gluten present or not.

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

If you have this amazing talent to detect the presence of gluten in food, why do you need to post here asking about the gluten content in Thai noodles? Surely you'd know after a few mouthfuls and a pause whether there were gluten present or not.

But but the debilitating brain fog. Got a bloke who works offshore with us says all the same about gluten. So the food budget is out the windows and we all basically have to eat GF because of this pillock. Funnily enough on pay off day can smash beers like there is no tomorrow must only be certain glutens hahaha 

13 hours ago, Oxx said:

I think he's posting here because he is not as knowledgable and discriminating as yourself.  Also it is an open forum anyone can post about anything as long as they try to adhere to the rules.  Why do you need to post here asking about why the OP is posting here...:giggle:

4 hours ago, starky said:

But but the debilitating brain fog. Got a bloke who works offshore with us says all the same about gluten. So the food budget is out the windows and we all basically have to eat GF because of this pillock. Funnily enough on pay off day can smash beers like there is no tomorrow must only be certain glutens hahaha 

5555 Oh that is funny... :cheesy:

I have celiac disease and have to be extremely careful on what I eat , even here in Thailand where so much food is rice based.

To the OP, the glass noodles are gluten free as already posted. My experience with rice noodles has been good , with no cross contamination, both in restaurants and noodle shops - just make sure they only boil rice noodles in the pot and not other food which may be wheat based.

So called egg noodles, are full of wheat flour so have to be avoided.

Be aware that most soy sauce contains wheat so anything with soy sauce as an ingredient , such as fish sauce also have to be avoided.

I have celiac disease and have to be extremely careful on what I eat , even here in Thailand where so much food is rice based.

To the OP, the glass noodles are gluten free as already posted. My experience with rice noodles has been good , with no cross contamination, both in restaurants and noodle shops - just make sure they only boil rice noodles in the pot and not other food which may be wheat based.

Be aware that most soy sauce contains wheat so anything with soy sauce as an ingredient , such as fish sauce also have to be avoided.

To Wandasloan,

I am assuming you are partly serious in your comment, as that is what is done in wheat producing countries ( pasta for example )

Thai noodles are  of course not NOT packed with gluten - the rice noodles are packed with rice - we should all be aware that rice is abundant and cheap in Thailand. There are no significant wheat crops in Thailand - wheat flour is imported for the bakeries and for some food production and is an expensive substitute for rice and thus is not used in this way.

The egg noodles, or yellow noodles do contain wheat flour and you will find that a substantial number of these are imported.

I am not including the instant pot noodles in the foregoing as I do not even look at these - I am referring to noodles that are bought dry or served in restaurants and noodle shops.

One guy I met here made the connection to gluten allergy for me last year and its been day-and-night...I thought it was natural aging being brain dead some days and not knowing why....always after bakery goods etc.

Saved my life, I can actually think clearly now.

6 hours ago, Lannathaijohn said:

It's a bit of a throw off really though isn't it "celiac disease"  it's not like a proper allergy like peanuts or something that will throw you into anaphalactic shock or kill you or something is it... Most people are lactose intolerant myself included but we don't fyckn whine about every day.  Celiac disease what's that an upset tummy don't eat som tum then.  Heart like a caraway seed some of you blokes really fycks sake 

I. missus and her sister all end up affected after eating noodle dishes...

... turned out it was really the MSG affecting us 

However, one day it is worth you checking the ingredients and their percentages on the pack of every thing you encountered that is listed as non-gluten!!

Pick on a loaf of bread, and be amazed how much Salt and other rubbish put into the mix, to make up for the loss of the wheat hart/germ etc.

There's no goodness left!!

You want (well not really WANT) to be actually suffering from Celiac, before you start depriving yourself of nature's goodness.

I've already added the term 'Non-Gluten, to my already listed 'MSG' as the sort of publicity Items that big pharma is putting down our throats, to ward us off eating REAL food.

They want us to stay sick, and on Meds.

To have them say that MSG is Good, and Non-Gluten is Bad, is worrisome to moi.

Edited by tifino

27 minutes ago, starky said:

It's a bit of a throw off really though isn't it "celiac disease"  it's not like a proper allergy like peanuts or something that will throw you into anaphalactic shock or kill you or something is it... Most people are lactose intolerant myself included but we don't fyckn whine about every day.  Celiac disease what's that an upset tummy don't eat som tum then.  Heart like a caraway seed some of you blokes really fycks sake 

no-ones whining every day, and if the thread offends you so much, move on.

Edited by freedomnow

I import food products, inclusive glass noodles, rice vermicelli as well as wheat noodles from Thailand and other Asian origins already since 1994. Thai as well as other food regulation enforcement is there “as leak as a sieve without bottom part… “

Means: alun might be used to bleach rice vermicelli to cover up “substandard” rice, with results not the lab tests results as I get from SGS for aluminium: below the detection limit of 0,3 ppm, not even below the EU max tolerated level of 10, but.. till even 834 ppm found in Germany. See high content of aluminium (18; 162; 616; 734; 704 mg/kg - ppm) in rice noodle sticks from Thailand, RASFF nr 2014.1586, Details https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/?event=notificationDetail&NOTIF_REFERENCE=2014.1586

In Finland see 2010.CGW  : till 180 ppm, coming from… Royal Umbrella, so not a nit-noy producer in upcountry.

Also what type of starch could be used in rice vermicelli / noodles , glass noodles etc.  ?

I laughed in the past when at the label was mentioned: “rice noodles, gluten free”. I confronted a Thai manufacturer with the fact, RICE CANNOT CONTAIN ANY GLUTEN… till they told me that. Later I even discovered “gluten free” in rice noodles in Thailand does not mean, “no gluten added” as… “ oh, shows so good on the label, just as of our competitors”.

15 hours ago, starky said:

Why is he a pillock,it's not his fault.

6 hours ago, starky said:

I you have diagnosed Celiac disease and consume gluten you can winde up in the emergency room or dead.  Theyre not just fyckn whining. They're concerned about getting extremely sick or dying.  Now ya know.  Som tum with out fish sauce is gluten free BTW.

20 hours ago, Lannathaijohn said:

Fish sauce does not contain soy sauce, and is gluten free.  It's made purely from fish and salt.  Nothing added.  Nothing taken away.

It's all very interesting. I had gluten intolerance for 30 years and it was very real. Occasionally I would try a slice of bread and boom I was in and out of the bathroom rest of the day.

However last year I Accidentally ate a desert I thought was from rice flour but was flour and no reaction. Internet research shows that it can reverse in some people so I Spent the next month eating pizza and put on 10 kilos so back to gluten free for weight control and it just feels better.
Thailand is pretty crap for gluten free. In Oz you could find tons of the stuff

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...