Young Aussie plunges to death from Bangkok hotel balcony - body found completely naked

rooster59

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Wow, in my opinion I have demonstrated that the figures are not high amongst foreigners in Thailand with my stats, it is just you who thinks that they don't through some unexplained reasoning that the group is incomparable with citizens as a whole.  I take it from your failure to explain your "reasoning" that you don't actually have one.

In my opinion you have failed to prove the site is alarmist. 

Shame really. I'd like to think it is such. 

16 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

In my opinion you have failed to prove the site is alarmist. 

Shame really. I'd like to think it is such. 

It is obviously alarmist to report on every single accidental death that has occurred in a similar fashion to prior murders as this, as evidenced by the many scared posters above, results in unfounded fear, which is by definition alarmism.  Anything else I can help you with?

36 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

It is obviously alarmist to report on every single accidental death that has occurred in a similar fashion to prior murders as this, as evidenced by the many scared posters above, results in unfounded fear, which is by definition alarmism.  Anything else I can help you with?

I agree with you there.

However I just don't think the stats you used prove the website referred to is wrongful in its assumptions. 

Thats all. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I agree with you there.

However I just don't think the stats you used prove the website referred to is wrongful in its assumptions. 

Thats all. 

Sorry, did you think I meant the fallangs deaths website was alarmist?  I think they just report as many deaths as they can find, I meant this one is alarmist.

29 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Sorry, did you think I meant the fallangs deaths website was alarmist?  I think they just report as many deaths as they can find, I meant this one is alarmist.

I just thought you were trying to prove the number of foreigners falling to their death in Thailand was no more than the norm for such incidents concerning foreigners in other countries. 

An interesting merry go round Blues (I read that abbreviation somewhere, I think) and Shawn.

is this item, taken from the WHO website, any use.... Or just fuel on the fire ( that's an expression that, arguably, is over the top, as you blokes seem to be having an interesting and amicable discussion.... So... Just an expression)

image.png

Edited by farcanell
Spell correct

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I just thought you were trying to prove the number of foreigners falling to their death in Thailand was no more than the norm for such incidents concerning foreigners in other countries. 

Why, when I have repeatedly stated that I do not see why a comparison of US citizens with long term foreign residents in Thailand is adequate, particularly when there are also so many other short term visitors to Thailand and the numbers of deaths in this way is proportionate to the US when looking at the number of expats alone?  Anyway, you are going around in circles, you fail to answer the question I have asked many times, i don't see why I should explain my posts to you if you don't have the courtesy to do the same youself.

4 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Why, when I have repeatedly stated that I do not see why a comparison of US citizens with long term foreign residents in Thailand is adequate, particularly when there are also so many other short term visitors to Thailand and the numbers of deaths in this way is proportionate to the US when looking at the number of expats alone?  Anyway, you are going around in circles, you fail to answer the question I have asked many times, i don't see why I should explain my posts to you if you don't have the courtesy to do the same youself.

As I said you clearly cannot back up your OP argument.

You have failed to prove the number of foreigners falling to their death in Thailand is not unusual in comparison to foreigners resident in other countries across the world. 

I'd like to think that is the case but as it stands nothing you have said proves this. 

I honestly thought that was what you were trying to do. 

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

An interesting merry go round Blues (I read that abbreviation somewhere, I think) and Shawn.

is this item, taken from the WHO website, any use.... Or just fuel on the fire ( that's an expression that, arguably, is over the top, as you blokes seem to be having an interesting and amicable discussion.... So... Just an expression)

image.png

Thank you.  I found this article on the matter quite good.  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/03/24/1458792504/

10 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As I said you clearly cannot back up your OP argument.

You have failed to prove the number of foreigners falling to their death in Thailand is not unusual in comparison to foreigners resident in other countries across the world. 

I'd like to think that is the case but as it stands nothing you have said proves this. 

I honestly thought that was what you were trying to do. 

No, you asked me if that was what I was trying to do, I explained exactly what I had done and that I feel they are comparable, I then asked you why you think they are not, thus why you feel I have not backed up my argument in my op, you have failed to provide any reasoning for this at all.  Think man, you must have thought something before you wrote it, you are still clutching on to what you said now, that thought must still be in there somewhere, try to find it, write it down, or just give up, as this is getting dull to say the least.

51 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

No, you asked me if that was what I was trying to do, I explained exactly what I had done and that I feel they are comparable, I then asked you why you think they are not, thus why you feel I have not backed up my argument in my op, you have failed to provide any reasoning for this at all.  Think man, you must have thought something before you wrote it, you are still clutching on to what you said now, that thought must still be in there somewhere, try to find it, write it down, or just give up, as this is getting dull to say the least.

I have repeatedly told you why they are not comparable in my view. You are not comparing like with like.

You claim that the stats for foreigners falling to their death in Thailand are not unusual yet refuse to provide data/stats to back this up. 

If you wish to say they are within the norms then show similar stats for this specific group across the world.

The website you refer to in your OP is focused upon one specific group in Thailand. Any attempt to prove the stats they give is the norm must focus upon the same specific group in other countries.

10 minutes ago, Chapelroad said:

Bluespunk can never back up his accusations.

My guess i s he/she  a clueless yank, no social skills, but apart from that he is ok 

As with your recent posts on another thread I have read, you are so far from being correct it is laughable.

12 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The incidence of farangs falling from their balconies is going to spike shortly if the two of you don't knock off this boring spat.

No-ones making you read them,  just put me on your ignore list if you don't want to see my posts.

In fact did you not say you would do so on a previous thread?

lot of stupid posts in this thread judging just off the 1st page. This is a young guys life for f sake.

It is very possible he was sleep walking.  However I notice no follow up reports, if he had indeed checked in with his girlfriend, she would have either been in the room with him or been away somewhere.

In the latter case knowing Thai women at the instance of him not being in his dwelling or she didnt know his whereabouts , she would have phoned him and phoned him...

I would estimate there are no missed calls on his phone, if it's still in the room that is.

Another thing as we dont know the hotels name, we dont know if there was a joiner fee, maybe he just claimed she was his GF to avoid a joiner fee, maybe he got high on the pipe with some 2 baht whore, guess we'll never know.

For what it's worth.... (Bloody) statistics show that falls are most likely to occur during the later part of a Wednesday morning, during August.

oh dear.... Tomorrow falls ( unintended pun, I'm sure) into that category.

3 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Thank you.  I found this article on the matter quite good.  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/03/24/1458792504/

Interesting enough article.... But I think that the statement... "Police in Thailand, as elsewhere, do not track balcony related deaths" is worrisome... And most likely more of an accurate statement here in Thailand than elsewhere, where studies are done on how to reduce falls (higher balconies.... Routine Inspections... Quality workmanship... QA/QC.... and, in some countries, ACCOUNTABILITY)

However, if talking falls in general, worldlifeexpectancy.com, claims that twice as many people die from falls in Britain, as in Thailand. (Roughly speaking)

The site also claims that Australia ranks 17th in the world, for fall related deaths, followed by the US at 20th, GB at 21st.... And Thailand at 28th 

but, if revisiting paragraph one.... These figures are likely BS.... And..... don't answer the burning question on falls of strangers in a strange land

just remember to spend today ( Wednesday in August) in bed.... Whilst trying not to think on deaths from falling out of bed!

the thai "girlfriend" didn't wait to report his fall and dissapeared. Could be related to the shyness of some ladies and their wish not to get involved in any police interrogation (and being forced to bribe their way out).

I strongly suspect a low balcony rail being the reason for the fall. In many hotels and condos i have come up to ridiculously low railings.  How often during my holidays, myself after a little rodeo number with a thai hooker i have had a cigarette-break on the balcony in my birthday costume . . . . !?  

I find it relatively easy to figure out what actually happened.  Thai girlfriend not having a motive and dissapeared (she would not push him over the rails but try to continue the relationship = more profit) Him being naked means he was at ease with himself, and no suicide note. 

Alcohol & Aussies = a conundrum!

There being a SMALLISH suspicion left, the "girlfriend" and him having an argument, and she pushed him . . . . but then, it is still the low rails of the balcony making it an accident instead of murder!  With higher balcony rails, a girlfriend vs farang naked fight would result in a few bruises only.

I would love if the police reportedly  informed us about the actual height, in centimeters, of those balcony rails !

Edited by crazygreg44

13 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

lot of stupid posts in this thread judging just off the 1st page. This is a young guys life for f sake.

It is very possible he was sleep walking.  However I notice no follow up reports, if he had indeed checked in with his girlfriend, she would have either been in the room with him or been away somewhere.

In the latter case knowing Thai women at the instance of him not being in his dwelling or she didnt know his whereabouts , she would have phoned him and phoned him...

I would estimate there are no missed calls on his phone, if it's still in the room that is.

Another thing as we dont know the hotels name, we dont know if there was a joiner fee, maybe he just claimed she was his GF to avoid a joiner fee, maybe he got high on the pipe with some 2 baht whore, guess we'll never know.

And yet "knowing" is key to future prevention.... Therefore (some of) the stupid questions need asking and answering.... 

Then.... It may give closure to relatives and friends, and save others similar grief, in future

to do nothing.... Means nothing will change

and for those noddies who think farangs can't change anything.... Your wrong.... Appropriate (even alarmist) feedback to your mother country, (or just to loved ones planning a visit) may make visitors to this wonderful country, rethink their choice of hotels, in turn, forcing changes like better balcony construction, or enclosing balconies, while building codes are amended.

One of biggest concerns is why police suggest it suicide before fully concluding the case.

Most likely is accidental death , suicide & murder a lot less likely but if police do their job then conclusions can be had .

Lots of clues to be had but unfortunately we probably never here results of blood test , see hotel video & pic of balcony or here statement of any girl involved . Police & reporters are biggest problem in these cases & until they educated & professional nothing will change .

Not a good country to die or face severe injury in ...

20 hours ago, farcanell said:

image.png

That article is about people falling over. Not people falling from buildings

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

This article is about people FALLING.... I don't claim otherwise.... It highlights the overall problem of falls, which includes falls from heights, workplace fall, falls on steps, etc

after multiple hours, using many keywords, I have been unable to find any worthwhile articles on the net, that compare balcony falls, from country to country

the salient point being the second half of the first paragraph, which points out that two thirds of falls happen in lower income countries... Specifically Western pacific and SE Asian countries.... Like here 

If I could have found a breakdown in fall categories, then I would have obviously quoted that, but I could not.... So instead I used the raw figures, which show that over 50% of fatal falls worldwide, happen here (which, logically, is perhaps indicative that more balcony falls also happen here, as well)...... but don't let my sometimes skewed logic hold you back....please do try for yourself, and hopefully you will find something more useful to impart to us all

oh.... And do bear in mind other postings have shown that Thai police don't keep balcony fall stats, as shown in the link by Shawn, somewhere above... Good luck... And I look forward to the results of YOUR research.

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

This article is about people FALLING.... I don't claim otherwise.... It highlights the overall problem of falls, which includes falls from heights, workplace fall, falls on steps, etc

after multiple hours, using many keywords, I have been unable to find any worthwhile articles on the net, that compare balcony falls, from country to country

the salient point being the second half of the first paragraph, which points out that two thirds of falls happen in lower income countries... Specifically Western pacific and SE Asian countries.... Like here 

If I could have found a breakdown in fall categories, then I would have obviously quoted that, but I could not.... So instead I used the raw figures, which show that over 50% of fatal falls worldwide, happen here (which, logically, is perhaps indicative that more balcony falls also happen here, as well)...... but don't let my sometimes skewed logic hold you back....please do try for yourself, and hopefully you will find something more useful to impart to us all

oh.... And do bear in mind other postings have shown that Thai police don't keep balcony fall stats, as shown in the link by Shawn, somewhere above... Good luck... And I look forward to the results of YOUR research.

Sure because far more people walk in developing countries than drive their own vehicles.

And there are far more trip hazards in feveloping countries...look at the sidewalks here. 

And I can think of several other contributors to those numbers.

Its a good effort on your part but if the data on balconies is not available then its a dead end.

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Sure because far more people walk in developing countries than drive their own vehicles.

And there are far more trip hazards in feveloping countries...look at the sidewalks here. 

And I can think of several other contributors to those numbers.

Its a good effort on your part but if the data on balconies is not available then its a dead end.

true enough.... And sometimes best efforts are not enough... Hence my statement about fuel on the fire.

But after hours of searching, I found this interesting, so posted it for others to consider

It's a jungle out there... With many more dangerous things to worry about, than falling.... Especially if one follows your simple steps to safety, posted above (or redirected?)