New minimum wages from 340-550 baht per day to become effective August 10

rooster59

New minimum wages from 340-550 baht per day to become effective August 10

192_Puntarik-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Labour Ministry has called for cooperation from businesses and industrial operators to pay new wages to skill labour as the new minimum wages for skill labour are to become effective from August 10.

The new wages for skill labour apply with 20 types of jobs in five industrial groups, with minimum wage of some job going up to 550 baht per day.

Labour Ministry’s permanent secretary Puntri Smiti said that the ministry earlier proposed the new minimum wage for skill labour in 20 types of  jobs  in five industries for cabinet approval in March and was approved on March 14.

The new minimum wage for 20 types of jobs were in addition to its earlier announced 35 types of jobs.The new minimum wages will be in force on August 10.

The increasing of minimum wages was aimed to emphasize the standards of skill labour and encourage the improvement of skill labour to correspond the higher wages.

Besides it was also an important strategy to indirectly encourage workers to develop their skills.

The new wage rates for additional 20 types of jobs  are under five industrial groups.

Minimum wage workers in the electricity and electronics group is ranging from 360 baht to 460 baht per day.

Wage for the auto and auto parts group is ranging from 400-480 baht.

The jewelry group is ranging from 420-550 baht and the logistics group is ranging from 340-550 baht.

She said the  new wage rates would be enforced on August 10.

But she said workers must have to  pass the national labour skill standard test of their jobs to get the new wage rates.

She revealed that so far over 70,000 workers from 55 types of jobs  have passed the tests.

She asked for cooperation from employers to pay their employees not less than the rate announced by the ministry.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-minimum-wages-340-550-baht-per-day-become-effective-august-10/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-06

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

So what is skilled labor in Thailand? Do electricians or plumbers go to tech school for 3 or 4 years ? Do they have 

a licence? Or what about brick layers ? 

The Thai Labor Ministry has just found a way to increase the wages of some folks employed by said ministry: For some Tea-Money, one can buy a "License" , attesting the bearer of such "License", that he/she is a skilled laborer. = TIT.

Cheers.

Sure it appeals to the poor and they happen to announce this news today just before the vote? The junta has changed people at ThaiPBS since it took over. I thought there was a recent change of the head but maybe I am wrong about that.

It would be even more fair if labourers in BKK get more salary than upcountry.

In BKK everybody looses several hours a day in traffic jam plus everything costs a lot more.

Last week my friend showed pictures of the market in phuket and they still sell big fish there for 150...those cost double in BKK.

First off, this is a 60% raise. It's an absolutely *insane* amount to rapidly raise an economically sensitive input cost like the cost of labor.

Never mind the morality of it. Never mind the economic necessity of it. Doing an extremely rapid, un-phased wage hike of 60% is dangerous. This will have serious effects on the Thai economy. Prepare for unemployment levels to "surprise" economists to the upside.

Secondly: ASEAN is in effect now and there is literally *nothing* keeping companies operating here other than the hassle of moving to the nearest border. But when neighboring labor prices are now 25-30% of Thai labor prices in Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia... well... the exodus is mathematically guaranteed.

The recession will be sharp and painful.

Exports are already down. This move is going to make matters considerably worse.  

Referendum on sunday .... What can we come up with to get the peasants to vote in favour?

Ahh boss i have a brilliant idea :wai2: Lets tell them we will increase wages.

Silly buggers will love it. Favorable referendum result guaranteed:D

Edited by colinneil
spelling error

I can recall when the minimum wage was raised from 250 to 300 baht, several factories closed and moved to neighboring countries saying that the wage increase made them uncompetitive,if this pay rise is indeed introduced it I can see a lot more people joining the ever increasing unemployment ranks.

8 hours ago, Thian said:

It would be even more fair if labourers in BKK get more salary than upcountry.

In BKK everybody looses several hours a day in traffic jam plus everything costs a lot more.

Last week my friend showed pictures of the market in phuket and they still sell big fish there for 150...those cost double in BKK.

Bangkok more expensive than Phuket?  Unbelievable :huh:

Yet another misleading piece from the Broadcaster (we are told) we can trust!

As I read it, the new minimum wages apply only for skill labour "within 20 types of jobs in five industries...in addition to (the) earlier announced 35 types of jobs".

But the caveat to even this, is that eligible workers must also pass the national labour skill standard test.

The permanent secretary of the Labour Ministry "revealed that so far over 70,000 workers...have passed the tests" that will make them eligible to get the new wage rates!

So, despite what the headline says, there is going to be quite a few million workers who will miss out!

" She revealed that so far over 70,000 workers from 55 types of jobs  have passed the tests. "

with a labour force of nearly 40 million, an increase in wages for 70,000 is nothing. it may impact some specific industries but for the general population it doesn't amout to a hill of beans.

The peeps who came up with this wonderful scheme will not have to fund it so there is no problem is there?

We also assure the people that there will be no increase in inflation and there is no connection between wages up which the people like and "prices up!"

They just dont get how business works in the world do they, they will price themselves out of the market place and tourists will think twice as well about the destination.

Brexit = currency crash and now goods and services about to cost more here it's all piling up.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Please explain currency crash,are the Americans involved like last time.

A popularist announcement!

Now living in PKK apart from government jobs i doubt anyone is getting near the minimum wage at the moment, so lets see about an increase (certainly no one in the hotel industry here) but for sure prices will rise and it will hurt the poorer people.

Listening the to the locals all they talk about is rising prices !