Dozens of tourists test positive for drugs at Samui pub raid

rooster59

Dozens of tourists test positive for drugs at Samui pub raid

koh sam.PNG

Image: Daily News

KOH SAMUI:-- A raid by 50 soldiers and police at a well known Chaweng pub on Koh Samui netted almost three dozen tourists who had been taking drugs.

Out of about 100 patrons tested 32 returned the tell-tale purple urine test.

The pub - that was not named  - was raided at 3am and found to be operating after hours and with a license that had run out last December. The man looking after the premises - Itthichai Chunparicha, 40, was arrested.

Some 14 shisha pipes, that are illegal in Thailand, were taken into evidence. Neither the fate of the tourists or what drugs they had been taking was reported in the Daily News story.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-07

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, borisloosebrain said:

It beggars belief that shisha pipes are illegal, that would be like som tum being banned in middle eastern countries. 

They are really bad for your health, and have been banned in other countries, like Singapore:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/shisha-ban-to-kick-in-on-friday-ministry-of-health

8 minutes ago, shirtless said:

Great job in ruining tourism , Thailand only knows how to shoot themselves in the feet.well done ars hats

I highly doubt this single incident is going to convince young farang that Thailand is no longer a party destination.

6 minutes ago, shirtless said:

Great job in ruining tourism , Thailand only knows how to shoot themselves in the feet.well done ars hats

Arresting people for taking drugs and shutting down the supply is ruining tourism? If that's the case, so be it.

23 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

They are really bad for your health, and have been banned in other countries, like Singapore:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/shisha-ban-to-kick-in-on-friday-ministry-of-health

But so is whisky cigarettes and junk food.... Sounds a bit too instrusive and nanny state ish . Singapore is a pretty dodgy role model imho

So you would be OK with your own kid doing drugs in a night club?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I was in Pattaya a couple weeks ago and a bargirl there told me that they still had those shisha pipes in the area where the middleasterners bars are. Just a couple years ago I remember seeing some in Rangsit at a pub. Do they still have them down on Soi3 Sukumvit in the African/Arab area?

34 minutes ago, mcfish said:

So you would be OK with your own kid doing drugs in a night club?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

It's a western thing, called 'Bible Study'!

The lifting of one's spirit... 

The fact that you can be out enjoying yourself on holiday and you can be detained and piss checked drugs or no drugs is enough to make you want to holiday in a different country. By the way those tests show many false positives many tablets show up as meth etc. 

if you took any drugs on purpose, banned for life after prison!!!

if you can prove you took it by accident........well, that is some bad luck because you are still doomed!!!

only once in Laos i saw a sign asking if you wanted something more in your drink......seemed pretty sketch

4 minutes ago, puukao said:

if you can prove you took it by accident........well, that is some bad luck because you are still doomed!!!

only once in Laos i saw a sign asking if you wanted something more in your drink......seemed pretty sketch

You can "Happy" pizza in Cambodia.  It's everywhere.

20 minutes ago, puukao said:

Maybe easier just to line them up and execute them? Saves the headaches of transporting to prison, same way Philippines is cleaning up the drug problem right now ??

P.S. I believe they're taking about Thai tourists 

Maybe easier just to line them up and execute them? Saves the headaches of transporting to prison, same way Philippines is cleaning up the drug problem right now [emoji43][emoji379]

Thailand did this 15 years ago during Thaksins war on drugs.

4 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Arresting people for taking drugs and shutting down the supply is ruining tourism? If that's the case, so be it.

No, randomly piss testing 100 people just out having a good time would be rather offputting to tourists from countries where that kind of thing is constitutionally protected against.  

Which includes most of the home countries represented by posters here on TVF.  

Of course, Thailand is free to do whatever they wish.  But to ignore the consequences to tourism is rather short sighted.

Edit:  It would be scary enough if the guys doing the testing had stellar reputations for honesty and fair dealing and never extorting money.  But we all know that ain't true, and so does every tourist that's done any research before they hop on the plane.

Archived