Voting in the referendum of the draft constitution starts

rooster59

8 minutes ago, halloween said:

DOUBLE hearsay? Do you think that has credibility worth typing?

you know, i knew someone would say that.

so if your friend tells you something directly that his wife experienced first hand it is invalid?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

at the local voting station saw no police/army, heaps of people queuing up though , seems like a lot of people want to have their say, looks like the yes vote is getting a pretty good percentage, even better than what the ptp got in the last election, go figure. No one is being forced to vote, my wife has said the yes vote will win because people are sick of the corruption etc, just maybe the people are voting for what they want and dont want, admittedly the reds will always vote the way they are told to by thaksin but everyone else is making up their own minds or do all the ones against this think they are all too stupid to have their own say, many are just sick of all the crap from all the politicians and want to see it ended, maybe now it can be

This constitution could be disregarded by the PTP calling it illegal once they are in power. Its something they have done before. Though the fact that so many voted yes (I really expected a NO maybe because of all the posters here who said it would be voted down). shows the PTP is losing power quickly. 

The people have spoken, maybe a few on here will accept it and move on, I predicted there would be elections next year.....I was always right

PTP the Reds and Thaksin also need to accept it, the people voted now get with the program

I maybe don't agree with everything in the charter but I do know that going forward elected governments will not be allowed to abuse as they have done in the past, like I said a few days ago, any elected government will now be forced to do what they are supposed to do - represent the country and all of its people instead of themselves and individuals.

I fully expect Thaksin to make a move full on now to cause trouble in the country, however I do not think he has the support he thinks he has but I still believe he will try

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

you know, i knew someone would say that.

so if your friend tells you something directly that his wife experienced first hand it is invalid?

Let's just say I would take it for what it is worth, and that isn't much. did they follow her into the voting booth or mark her paper at the identification desk?

any thais I spoke too before the vote said they were voting yes, when I asked why they said they see things now more than before and how they were tricked, they also said that current action against corruption needs to be continued and they did not have any confidence that an elected government would do that without being forced too

This whole process now gets a strong approval by the people, for here I would expect no stone to be left uncovered, I expect a massive exodus of ex politicians and government officials as they come under scrutiny for past deeds...about time 

1 minute ago, smedly said:

any thais I spoke too before the vote said they were voting yes, when I asked why they said they see things now more than before and how they were tricked, they also said that current action against corruption needs to be continued and they did not have any confidence that an elected government would do that without being forced too

This whole process now gets a strong approval by the people, for here I would expect no stone to be left uncovered, I expect a massive exodus of ex politicians and government officials as they come under scrutiny for past deeds...about time 

Yep the good thing about this constitution is that the statute of limitations for corruption is gone. I do wonder if this also applies for things in the past. If so the man in Dubai can't wait for all his crimes to go away. That would certainly make my day.

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Let's just say I would take it for what it is worth, and that isn't much. did they follow her into the voting booth or mark her paper at the identification desk?

she said they "filled it all out for her",  and for other people too.

i really don't care about Thai politics. I was just reporting what I was told. 

I am going back to Thai Friendly where it is more fun. 

Good evening Mr. Pumpkin head.

how are you this evening?

here in Hua Hin a farang friend told me his Thai wife said when she went to vote, people at the polls were helping her fill out the paper work including marking the ballot for "yes".  Very helpful.

Very well thankyou.
Yes, we're outside enjoying the firework show and celebrating with the neighbour's. I guess there are street parties going on all over Thailand tonight.
Just kidding, I'm watching the football on Ch.7 hoping and praying Man U win. Don't tell me the junta can fix that result too.

how are you this evening?

here in Hua Hin a farang friend told me his Thai wife said when she went to vote, people at the polls were helping her fill out the paper work including marking the ballot for "yes".  Very helpful.

Of course. All those questions were so confusing and difficult that she needed help...

My Mrs. voted in the referendum.

No one offered to mark her ballot, inferred anything, nor interfered in any way.

She went in, thumbed the paper checked the boxes, and stuffed it in the box; duty done.

Nothing nefarious at all. Just a local voting station and the local Ban people running it.

Edited by animatic

1 minute ago, Nickymaster said:

Of course. All those questions were so confusing and difficult that she needed help...

at hua hin immigration they fill out every form for me.

my name, address everything. copy it from my passport.

don't have to lift a finger.

pumpkin head said this is all hearsay, so pointless to go on.

According to the BBC about 62 percent voted in favor of the new constitution. But turnout was very low, no figure given.

Predicting the outcome was a sure-bet.

But IMHO Thailand is now in a worse situation, how long before the Thai people start protesting on the streets?

5 minutes ago, Nbarch said:

According to the BBC about 62 percent voted in favor of the new constitution. But turnout was very low, no figure given.

Predicting the outcome was a sure-bet.

But IMHO Thailand is now in a worse situation, how long before the Thai people start protesting on the streets?

As soon as Thaksin saves up enough money.

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So if the referendum passes, it paves the way for at least five years of military rule or rule by cabinet and senate members that are appointed and basically controlled by the military.  If the referendum fails, then the military stays completely in power as it is now and the path forward is less clear.

This assumes that the referendum results are valid

So what does that mean? At least 5 years of peace and quiet guaranteed.

These infamous words sum it up well: "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun".

A constitution is normally a very lengthy document that would take a long time to read and understand. What percentage of voters have taken the time to read this?

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Neither the voting nor the counting were independently monitored.  There are anecdotal reports that the voting seemed normal.  Can anyone report on the counting?

you really don't get it do you, the Thai people have spoken, you and your ilk have been wrong for 2 years, now how about getting behind this process and seeing it through lol

The years of PTP corruption vote buying power abuse are over, expect more of them to see the inside of a court room unless they flee like their leader

8 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Brexit referendum shock
Thai referendum shock
Just need Donald Trump to be elected President, for the triple.

actually nothing at all shocking about your first two lines....not sure about the last one though

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

So what does that mean? At least 5 years of peace and quiet guaranteed.

These infamous words sum it up well: "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun".

A constitution is normally a very lengthy document that would take a long time to read and understand. What percentage of voters have taken the time to read this?

I think the current government will now up the pace in bringing those guilty of corruption to face charges now that the people have endorsed their efforts so far

3 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

You're shocked that a junta that wouldn't allow opponents to campaign ended up winning?

Asking voters to make up their own mind is almost undemocratic, isn't it? How will they know which way to go without the Shinawatra propaganda machine telling them lies or offering bribes?

1 minute ago, halloween said:

Asking voters to make up their own mind is almost undemocratic, isn't it? How will they know which way to go without the Shinawatra propaganda machine telling them lies or offering bribes?

I'm not offering any commentary.  I just stated two facts, the latter being that the odds were very high that this result would happen.

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

So i didn't see the military handing out propaganda flyers? What was that then? A map with pokemon-go spots?

15 minutes ago, smedly said:

you really don't get it do you, the Thai people have spoken, you and your ilk have been wrong for 2 years, now how about getting behind this process and seeing it through lol

The years of PTP corruption vote buying power abuse are over, expect more of them to see the inside of a court room unless they flee like their leader

I get it and I get you.  If this had been a constitution written by a PTP government and submitted for approval under the same conditions you would declare the results meaningless.  So would I.  However I would declare the results meaningless because the process is obviously flawed.  You would declare the results meaningless because you wouldn't like the results.

When you approve of the results you have no problem with a flawed process.  Just as you have no problem with a military coup against a government elected in a monitored election.  You only believe something is democratic if you approve of the result.

We will never know if the referendum result shows the majority of the Thai people vote the way the military tells them to vote, or if the vote count was fixed.  However we can be certain this referendum was not a legitimate way to determine the will of the people.

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think the current government will now up the pace in bringing those guilty of corruption to face charges now that the people have endorsed their efforts so far

Only fools believe that.  Is that same people that gave the government a 99% approval rating before?  I believe this referendum result as much as I believe their polls.