Did you stock up on beer? What's the count?

KhonKaenKowboy

A warm Chang promo, perhaps?  I saw on FB the other day that a well known expat hole near the SE corner of the moat was selling its beer cooler for 1500 thb....it even has a limit of 4c on it.  I don't know if that was their main cooler or if they put them in a coffin of ice..but 39F (4c) is puke city in my book, especially for Thai beers.  If one of their owners would like to make a comment on their beer temp; it would be welcome.  I went in about three years ago, they tried to give me one that was 11 months old...don't do that, either.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

We stocked up on wine and scotch.  Also kitty litter and cat food.  You don't know what's coming and I remember what it was like when supplies from Bangkok were cut off during the floods in 2011.  

Kitty litter and cat food......No wonder you like the Expat Club breakfast mornings so much.

But at least the priorities were right with wine (presume White with cat food) and scotch first.

Sooner or later the pensions will go up when they stop artificially propping up the baht.....Hang in there :)

Edited by mamborobert

Stock up?  I bought all the beer I wanted on the 6th and the 7th at a place on Loi Kroh and another right off a side street..of the same , both mom and pop shops. Could've also purchased  Johnny Red/Black, vodka, etc. , . Everything was discreet but not a  problem..

He's got a point.  We've done hamburgers and Duke's already in the past week (again), CEC got a shout-out in this thread, we can't talk about Thai politics except how it's a bummer because we can't have any alcohol for a couple days, so what's left?

Oh, we haven't moaned about air quality for a month or two with the apologists saying it really isn't that bad or pointing out you can leave for a couple months.  

Where to find a dry cleaner hasn't come up for at least six weeks.

Pizza!  Have I missed something?  How can we go a week or two without getting into a good food fight about pizza?

I was in a beer store with 400 kinds of beer in Virginia a few weeks ago.  Was going to get Spaten Optimator, but noticed it is now AmBev and sold in a green bottle.  Next, Mendocino Brewing Company's Red Tail....now brewed in New York..gave that a miss, too.  I went with Anchor Steam, the original micro-brew in the US, 8.99 for 6 x 355ml.....very tasty.  When I was in a rural area, at a grocery store; I went with Yuengling Black and Tan 12 x 355ml bottles for 11.49 USD.  That is the oldest brewery in the US.  All excellent.  There is kind of a mini-fad of 7 0z Hieneken cans at 7-11, with a decent price...anyone seen those in LOS?  240ml, I believe.

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I thought bars could stay open if they wanted to, but many choose to close.  Stuff like that has been known to change.

Some bars get 'asked' by the police to close. As far as I know it isn't a law (buddhist days now are) but girlie-bars tend to take the advice.

On 8/8/2016 at 1:00 AM, NancyL said:

He's got a point.  We've done hamburgers and Duke's already in the past week (again), CEC got a shout-out in this thread, we can't talk about Thai politics except how it's a bummer because we can't have any alcohol for a couple days, so what's left?

Oh, we haven't moaned about air quality for a month or two with the apologists saying it really isn't that bad or pointing out you can leave for a couple months.  

Where to find a dry cleaner hasn't come up for at least six weeks.

Pizza!  Have I missed something?  How can we go a week or two without getting into a good food fight about pizza?

I think it's been a week or two since the last hamburger topic.

1 hour ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Some bars get 'asked' by the police to close. As far as I know it isn't a law (buddhist days now are) but girlie-bars tend to take the advice.

I apologize, I should know this but I don't.  Will the Thai bars with the Thai pretties be open?  There's one near me with a really good plaa-tab-tim-yam-mamuang (deep fried tilapia with spicy mango salad), Tiger beer and wonderful pretties that I was going to visit.

There is a big over-supply of old tigers out there....mine are from July. but Dayli had some pre-Songkran ones on their 3 for 169 promo...they were ok, since they were out of the ice...Some will be open tomorrow..hard to say exactly which ones....update:  I just spoke with a LK Bar owner...she says "maybe" for tomollow.

13 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

So.. this is a topic for alcoholics on how to best drink themselves to death?

a much better way to die than: being run over by a tuk - tuk, being blown up in a terrorist suicide bomb attack, burning to death in a car wreck after an accident, having a stroke and living for 15 years on life support, being a leg - amputated, grossly overweight diabetic in a wheel chair having to rely on others to wheel you around, dying at birth, dying during childbirth, dying from starvation, drowning at sea, drowning in your sewer pit, drowning on you own body fluids, dying from emphysema, being stabbed and disembowelled by your jealous ex - partner, falling under a train, getting pushed under a train, getting electrocuted in your own home, living 28 years with alzheimers... want some more?

wake up winnie, you must be addicted to life.

1 minute ago, manfredtillmann said:

a much better way to die than: being run over by a tuk - tuk, being blown up in a terrorist suicide bomb attack, burning to death in a car wreck after an accident, having a stroke and living for 15 years on life support, being a leg - amputated, grossly overweight diabetic in a wheel chair having to rely on others to wheel you around, dying at birth, dying during childbirth, dying from starvation, drowning at sea, drowning in your sewer pit, drowning on you own body fluids, dying from emphysema, being stabbed and disembowelled by your jealous ex - partner, falling under a train, getting pushed under a train, getting electrocuted in your own home, living 28 years with alzheimers... want some more?

wake up winnie, you must be addicted to life.

well stated.