Which Immigration Offices Follow the Rules, Which Don't?

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

As Elgordo said, you can search this forum and the CM forum for a long documented history of systemic abuse of the elderly at CM Immigration's office at Promenada mall.  I've come to believe that what may have started out as simple ineptitude has now become institutionalized as Imm. mgt realized the inhumane conditions were pushing the elderly into using agents.  

Thanks for the elaboration, Nancy. Paints a pretty good picture of what's going on in CM with Immigration.

And yet, tons of expats living there and dealing with it in some way or ways.

If BKK-CW operated that way, it would make me crazy, and frankly, make me think seriously about looking for a different place to live -- where I'd be dealing with a different Immigration Office, one that operates normally and within the general rules, as various posters above have described.

I know it's just a once a year thing, or couple times a year depending on how one handles their 90-day reports. But speaking personally, I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of c**p and the people who institutionalize it. I'm fine to play by the rules and meet the legitimate requirements. But I don't care to be abused, shaken down, and taken advantage of.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Well yes, many CM expat retirees rationalize that it's just once a year (90 day reports usually aren't a big problem -- mail-in works OK most of the time, as does on-line) or that it's "just" 3000 baht above the gov't fees for the visa "agent" next to the immigration office at Promenada mall for priority service for a retirement extension.  If someone can't spare 3000 baht once a year, then should they really be living in overseas, right?

Of course, that attitude overlooks that this special fee isn't needed anywhere else in Thailand for retirees to have a humane level of service and in paying the fee, a retiree is just fueling the machine and Imm. has no incentive to improve the service level to those who choose not to play the game.  Just the opposite.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Of course, that attitude overlooks that this special fee isn't needed anywhere else in Thailand for retirees to have a humane level of service and in paying the fee, a retiree is just fueling the machine and Imm. has no incentive to improve the service level to those who choose not to play the game.  Just the opposite.

It's this aspect of the situation that I find especially offensive, and why I'd be hard-pressed to find myself agreeing to be part of it. If that was my choice, I'd rather move. Not for the couple thousand baht  cost, but for the principle of the thing. But, that's my choice, my priorities. I'm just glad that here in BKK,, at least thus far, I don't have to make that choice.

Service @ Samui has come a long way since the wholesale theft that prevailed there for more than a decade. Their biggest problem at the moment is that the building they're currently using isn't fit for purpose. Hopefully this will be resolved if they ever move to the new premises in Maenam.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Let's not forget our brothers and sisters on Koh Samui.  There have been several reports that they have to go to one specific hospital for a health screening certificate, at a cost in excess of 700 baht, ahead of obtaining a one-year extension.  Because of the logistics of the ferry, and the hours of operation of the hospital and immigration it turns what should be a day trip to the mainland into an overnight trip with hotel and meal expenses, too.

Edit:  Does anyone ever "fail" the health screening and what happens to them?

first i have heard of a health screening, in my 11 years here i have never had to do one except for my Thai drivers license.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Let's not forget our brothers and sisters on Koh Samui.  There have been several reports that they have to go to one specific hospital for a health screening certificate, at a cost in excess of 700 baht, ahead of obtaining a one-year extension.  Because of the logistics of the ferry, and the hours of operation of the hospital and immigration it turns what should be a day trip to the mainland into an overnight trip with hotel and meal expenses, too.

Edit:  Does anyone ever "fail" the health screening and what happens to them?

That should read day trip to the main Island. The hospital and Imm are only a few hundred meters apart on the same road but you're right that it causes probs that may mean applicants are unable to do everything in a single day.

On 8/8/2016 at 4:44 PM, Psimbo said:

Go in with the right attitude and a bit of patience and its never a problem. I witnessed a guy telling an immigration officer he was wrong one day, he was fobbed off to go and do something right. I sat down with a big smile on my face and as an icebreaker said' he's in for a long day, isn't he' I got a beatific smile and a 'Yesssss', back.

The officers have to deal with people from a myriad of countries, most are ill-prepared- even I find them frustrating. Different offices attract different sorts of customers as well. Personally i would never go into an Immigration Office unshaven, wearing boardies and a wife-beaters but others consider that adequate attire. 

I've never paid any sort of bung other than the Resident Permit racket and now I know I don't have to pay it i will see what happens next time. 

If you've been using the same office for ten or more years the people get to know you and what they can or can't do to mess you about.  

As I said at the top a lot of it is about attitude.

IO's are the ones that need patience.I have noticed an attitude change towards me since they have started to come out to retirees homes.Now they are on my turf,with friendly neighbors vouching for my goodness and me playing the perfect host.Because he arrived earlier than announced he caught me in my usual attire of singlet and boardies.I asked about this and he said up to you,you house.Next time at the office 9 months later,a very friendly reception and generous help in a reporting problem.Now at least one of them gets to know us on a one on one basis and this can only be a good thing.Also have plenty of time to ask those what if questions.

Edited by louse1953

On 8/8/2016 at 7:42 PM, ajnamoon said:

only went once to immigration office  very long wait  and treated like a dog by immigration staff  Now I go to a visa agent take all my documents and passport pay them 4900 baht which includes   retirement visa extension fee    go back about 3 hours later  all done another one year extension

Ajnamoon, what Immigration Office were you dealing with on that?

With very few exceptions, all immigration offices follow the rules. One exception, for example, is that some offices ask for a medical certificate with an application for a retirement extension.

Some rules allow immigration offices various ways of implementation, eg the rule "In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto" with an application for a marriage extension. For the "de facto" part, some offices make visits to the applicant's residence and perhaps interview neighbours, other offices ask the applicant to bring witnesses to the office, etc.

I responded to the earlier thread, relating about an acquaintance of mine who had to pay extra for a marriage visa...a few more details might be helpful...he is Pakastani (maybe it's important, maybe not)...married to a Thai for more than 10 years...gainfully employed with work permits, etc...children with his wife, who speak Thai and go to govt schools...had exactly 800,000 in a bank account that he "parks" and does not touch...the fellow speaks Thai fluently, and owns a home with his wife...he dressed well for his visit to immigration (pants, dress shirt, shave, etc.)...the last time he went to immigration (Chon Buri), he was turned away twice for documents that were not needed previously or on the list of required documentation...a tip to the officer finally got the visa on the spot...

I have been to the same office, and the office manager told me in very good English and with no discretion that a visa would cost me 30,000 THB...when I told her I had the required money in the bank, her price dropped to 10,000...I try not to deal with immigration personally, except to do 90 day reporting...anything more complicated or time sensitive I find a Thai who can represent me...I know that many readers here enjoy handling their own matters and they are successful...I hope to acquire that skill set eventually...r

• Like 1

I have used three immigration offices here in Thailand. Bangkok, Jomtien and Chiang Khan, Loei. I never had any problems and all were friendly and efficient. THEN, the Chiang Khan office got a new boss. The lady is a nasty piece of work and seems to enjoy causing me  nit picky problems. One of which involved my 800,000 bank deposit. That one was a major hassle and was expensive. I should say that she never asked for money. Everything including 90 day reports went backwards. The 90 day report now requires copies of every page of my passport. The one year extension bank letter needed to be dated the same day as when I applied for the extension and not the day before. I have been in the same residence here for 10 years and for that 10 years never had any problems until she took over. Based on my experiences over 20 years of living in Thailand, this seems to be a local thing. I am legally married and use the retirement extensions rather than the marriage extension. Rules are rules and I have no problem following the rules. It is irritating when you get a bad immigration officer and the rules change.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 1:46 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Meanwhile, how about some feedback from folks living in some of the areas that haven't really been mentioned at all thus far???

Hua Hin... Nonthaburi... Korat... Khon Kaen... Rayong/Maptaphut... 

Nong Khai... NST... Surat Thani... Si Racha... Pathum Thani.. Sisaket...

Rayong/Maptaput have always played by the rule book generally speaking in the case of my 90-day reports and retirement extensions. That said I do recall an occasion a few years ago where they had to be reminded (by my wife) of the need to give me 100 THB change for my retirement extension application (which they did without any fuss). Ever since then I have always paid for my retirement extensions in exact money.

But this is, of course, a miniscularly trivial point when compared to the gross rule abuses which go on at certain other offices, as well documented on here.

However I do gather from what I have read on the Eastern Thailand forum that they have been levying an unofficial 500 THB charge for address certificates required for the purpose of obtaining a local driving licence (and, indeed, stopped issuing such certificates for a while a few years ago after receiving complaints about this charge). But seeing as I have never had any burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS, this is not an issue which I am in a position to confirm or deny on the basis of personal experience.

Edited by OJAS

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

With very few exceptions, all immigration offices follow the rules. One exception, for example, is that some offices ask for a medical certificate with an application for a retirement extension.

Thus far, the various posts/reports in this thread, by my tally, seem to break down roughly as follows:

Offices demanding or pushing extra fees or other poor treatment:

Chiang Mai

Samui

Chumphon

Mixed-conflicting reports, some good, some bad:

Jomtien/Chonburi

Udon

Offices with good reviews or few/small problems:

BKK-Chaengwattana

Phuket

Rayong

Sriracha

Nakhon Sawan

Sakon Nakhon

Ubon

Phitsanulok

• Like 1

Still haven't had any member reports for the following offices:

On 8/9/2016 at 1:46 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Meanwhile, how about some feedback from folks living in some of the areas that haven't really been mentioned at all thus far???

Hua Hin... Korat... Khon Kaen... Nong Khai

NST... Surat Thani... Pathum Thani.. Sisaket...

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thus far, the various posts/reports in this thread, by my tally, seem to break down roughly as follows:

Chiang Mai

Samui

Chumphon

Jomtien/Chonburi

Udon

Offices with good reviews or few problems:

BKK-Chaengwattana

Phuket

Rayong

Sriracha

Nakhon Sawan

Sakon Nakhon

Ubon

Phitsanulok

Suspect that Kap Choeng need to be added to your first category since they have also been putting retirement extension applications under consideration for 30 days, I gather.

Also not sure about the inclusion of Nakhon Sawan in your third category since I recall from reports from wayned (whose local office I gather they are) that they limit the maximum validity period for Embassy income letters/affidavits to 30 days.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Chiang Mai

Samui

Chumphon

Jomtien/Chonburi

Udon

BKK-Chaengwattana

Phuket

Rayong

Sriracha

Nakhon Sawan

Sakon Nakhon

Ubon

Phitsanulok

Chiang Rai

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Suspect that Kap Choeng need to be added to your first category since they have also been putting retirement extension applications under consideration for 30 days, I gather.

Also not sure about the inclusion of Nakhon Sawan in your third category since I recall from reports from wayned (whose local office I gather they are) that they limit the maximum validity period for Embassy income letters/affidavits to 30 days.

Wayned's confirmation that Nakhon Sawan limit the maximum validity period for Embassy income letters/affidavits to 30 days. They also appear to be another office who levy an unofficial charge for residence certificates.

Can't find any independent verification of my assertion about Kap Choeng via the Search facility, though, unfortunately!:(

Just to be clear, this running list isn't MY opinion of the various offices. It's simply my trying to recap/summarize the various posts made thus far in this thread.

If more members post and add details and opinions, placements can and will change. You also have to make some judgments about the relative seriousness of the various issues being reported.

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Chiang Mai

Samui

Chumphon

Jomtien/Chonburi

Udon

BKK-Chaengwattana

Phuket

Rayong

Chiang Rai [added]

Sriracha

Nakhon Sawan

Sakon Nakhon

Ubon

Phitsanulok

No problems in Korat.  It helps if you have a basic idea of what's going on and what you need to do. I have observed a few of the I/Os there get a little testy with lost newbies but, generally, they seem to take a deep breath, exhale, and get the person sorted out. 

I got a dose of stupid the last time we arrived at LAX, wife and I got separated and man,  those Customs/Border officers were large type a**holes.  Finally brought the wife down after 1 hour, she was in tears. 

Although Ayuthaya have not yet been mentioned in this thread I wonder whether there might be a case for their inclusion in your top category in the light of yesterday's disturbing report on here about their insistence on MFA verification of Embassy income confirmation letter/affidavit signatures?

Edited by OJAS

54 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

I once had a problem at Hua Hin

The fashion police want me to wear different shits in each photo  :facepalm:

I tried the excuse it was wash day  :whistling:

Hua Hin appear to be another rogue office insisting on MFA verification of Embassy income letters/affidavits to boot:-

Edited by OJAS

I've never heard before of an Immigration Office demanding MFA certification of a consulate income letter, as is being reported for Hua Hin Immigration, and now also the Ayudhya Office as per the post Ojas quoted above..

But FWIW, in the Hua Hin thread as it stands now, there's just one report of that by the OP (more detail quoted below), and one other poster saying he'd done an income letter there recently without having that requirement.  Hopefully we'll hear more from HH posters on that subject:

My income statement needed a stamp from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok.
First of all, Chaeng Wattana. It was relatively painless (except for the 5 hour wait and the inconvenience of having to go to Bangkok).

This may not be necessary for most, since HH seems to have decided to do this alone, although they are saying its coming from Bangkok due to some people forging the embassy letter.

Yes I had checked with HH Immigration a couple of weeks ago because I already had my letter from the embassy and I had heard stories from US and Australians that they had to go to Chaeng Wattana.

At that time I was told that I was OK for this year but I would need the MFA stamp next year.

When I went in last week with all my paperwork I was told I needed the stamp.

The lady made a call when I was there and I heard her give my citizenship to whoever she was talking to and then confirming I needed the stamp.

So I just assumed that it was for all nationalities. It would be even more bizarre if it weren't.