I need 9 more hours on my 30 day Tourist

Hello,

I arrived on July 12th, 2016 and have a departing flight on Aug 11th at 9:55am, which is exactly 31 days. I have read about a few 1 day overstay situations and what can happen. I have heard that the 500baht fine will be waived if at an airport and they will not put you in jail. However, I really need to be able to come back to Thailand later this year.

I have two questions. 

1. Should I go take my chances and just overstay the 9 hours and deal with the officials at the airport?

2. Would that 1 day overstay be noted or linked to me in any way?

Thank you kindly!

1 day overstay should not be a problem and most of the time it is waived.

No problems with returning back but you will probable get a red overstay stamp in your passport which can create problems for other countries. (USA for example)

36 minutes ago, merijn said:

1 day overstay should not be a problem and most of the time it is waived.

No problems with returning back but you will probable get a red overstay stamp in your passport which can create problems for other countries. (USA for example)

The overstay stamp is usually in blue, and written mostly in Thai. It is news to me that US immigration takes any notice of it.

• Like 2

I remember doing something very similar a few years ago before Swampy was built. You could clear immigration and then go back through and get a ticket or stamp (Been a long time I forget what they gave me) and was able to go back out into Bangkok for the rest of the day.

The only thing is is that I was flying Thai from China and had my onward boarding pass already, if the flight is originating at Swampy you might not be able to get your boarding pass 9 hours ahead.

• Like 1

I overstayed by 1 day back in January 2016.

They only sent me to one of the officers at the back of the counters, he checked my passport for any other overstays. When he saw nothing  he just said okay no problem.

No overstay stamp, so no problem. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that for the day following the expiry, there is allowed leniency, and that nothing will happen.

One really needs the expert view of UbonJoe to clarify. Maybe he will see this thread soon.

At worst, it will be a 500 THB fine and a stamp, but you will not have problems reentering the Kingdom or obtaining a Visa in a Thai Consulate elsewhere.

The new rules are not aimed at someone who is 9 hours overdue, they are aimed at those 9 weeks, 9 months or 9 years overdue, and there are many!

• Like 1

You might get an overstay stamp in your passport, but it will only show 1 day and shouldn't cause you any problems in the future.

You could go to your local immigration office and get an extension of stay for 1,900 baht.

• Like 2

April this year I departed Swampy one day past the allowed 30 days due to my own miscalculation when booking my flight. I was directed to a senior officer at the immagration and my Passsport was endorsed to show I had stayed one day past my allowed 30 day non visa entry. I was not fined the 500 Baht. This was my only offence in all of my visits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fantastic everyone! Thank you so much for the replies/experience/wisdom on this thread. 

I am an American (forum rolls their eyes) so I doubt I will have much trouble with the US. However, I try to be honoring when I travel in other countries. I think I am going to try and get to the airport without talking to immigration and see if they have grace. I understand after reading these posts that it really depends on the officer on duty. This really was a rookie mistake on my part. 

I will post back on Friday or when I am back stateside to tell you how it went that way others can benefit from my experience. 

Thank you again so much!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PMZ said:

My understanding is that for the day following the expiry, there is allowed leniency, and that nothing will happen.

One really needs the expert view of UbonJoe to clarify. Maybe he will see this thread soon.

At worst, it will be a 500 THB fine and a stamp, but you will not have problems reentering the Kingdom or obtaining a Visa in a Thai Consulate elsewhere.

The new rules are not aimed at someone who is 9 hours overdue, they are aimed at those 9 weeks, 9 months or 9 years overdue, and there are many!

The new rules have no impact on the fine being waived at the airports.

I was told by an immigration officer that the only reason for the 1 day grace at the airport is because people often miscount their 30 day stay when they book their flights. Day 1 of the 30 is the day you enter the country, but often people incorrectly start the count from the day after they arrive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fredge45 said:

Go to the airport and clear immigration 9 hours early?

Nice idea that won't work.

to clear immigration you need a boarding pass.

virtually all alrlines do not permit checking in (or bag drop) until 3 hours before flight time.

Thus he can't get a boarding pass, so can't clear immigration until he is on a 6 hour overstay; unless he has no checkin baggage and a boarding pass that does not require a document check. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker