Friend of Australian man found dead in Bangkok questions the circumstances around his death

Jonathan Fairfield

27 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I had a girlfriend in Australia who worked at a large university, in the counselling area. They would deal with 5-6 suicides a year. foreign students not coping, failing exams etc. These incidents were never reported in the media, and the police would do a minimal investigation. Mainly because the police had minimal information to go on. A student, not known to neighbors or a big group of friends, medical history unknown, Daily habits unknown etc. Besides talking to friends/visitors, social media accounts etc. What can police do ?

I see the situation in Thailand as not much different, Tourists or expats are living here, off the grid. Its mainly through exposure to TV that we even know about these incidents.

Add to that, the standards of balconies, low railings, slippery tiles, drainage that often doesn't work, the lifestyles some tourists and expats lead (alcohol, drugs etc) and the actual percentage of accidents will be higher than usual.

+1 for an intelligent response.

+1 for a very nice Avatar.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Just what I was thinking.  I think that should be a really essential hotel service.  A no-cost, handy protection for the adventurous tourist.  Handy for the hotel.  Keeps "falls", scandals & police out of the place which is always bad for business

The police could track down everyone who has ever visited, including the pizza delivery guy. Unless there is a straight out confession from the pizza delivery guy, then whats the point. 

It seems to be the consensus that if you find the girlfriend, then you have found the culprit.

20 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Just what I was thinking.  I think that should be a really essential hotel service.  A no-cost, handy protection for the adventurous tourist.  Handy for the hotel.  Keeps "falls", scandals & police out of the place which is always bad for business

The police could track down everyone who has ever visited, including the pizza delivery guy. Unless there is a straight out confession from the pizza delivery guy, then whats the point. 

It seems to be the consensus that if you find the girlfriend, then you have found the culprit.

suicide, murder or accident??   But a young handsome guy committing suicide in the land of smiles, on holiday, seems highly unlikely. 

Could have been an accident, as some balcony rails are not high, if he was a bit drink and purched on the rail, he may have just fallen backwards to his death,  surely  they will check his blood for drugs / alcohol ?? 

Or murder,  was there any money found in the room ?  Why did the girl do a runner ?  she must have been a hooker,  a girlfriend wouldn't have run..   Easiest way to kill someone is to push them off a balcony....    Even if he was hit on the head first then pushed over,  not much chance they will find that out after he hit the ground !!! 

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Questions are being raised in the aussie media over the high number of balcony falls in Thailand by foreigners and how they are declared suicide.  Questions also over the high number of crimes against foreigners and the high number of overall foreign deaths every year.  The figure of 83 foreign deaths reported by Thailand for 2015 an increase of 83% on 2014 is also being questioned as the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs reports the 109 aussies killed alone for the same period.  Also why suicide is not recognised by Thailand as a foreign death when it comes reporting.  Could this be why so many deaths are quickly written off as suicide to protect the image and tourism?

Could this be why so many deaths are quickly written off as suicide to protect the image and tourism?

Being known as the hub of suicides is not brilliant for the image of tourism either

Being know for having a strong and dedicated police force and courts who do their utmost to protect people against criminals 

would be much better wouldn't it?

10 minutes ago, slippery snake said:

suicide, murder or accident??   But a young handsome guy committing suicide in the land of smiles, on holiday, seems highly unlikely. 

Could have been an accident, as some balcony rails are not high, if he was a bit drink and purched on the rail, he may have just fallen backwards to his death,  surely  they will check his blood for drugs / alcohol ?? 

Or murder,  was there any money found in the room ?  Why did the girl do a runner ?  she must have been a hooker,  a girlfriend wouldn't have run..   Easiest way to kill someone is to push them off a balcony....    Even if he was hit on the head first then pushed over,  not much chance they will find that out after he hit the ground !!! 

I've got some ideas why a girlfriend could have done a runner

What are these Diplomats, Embassies worth...Still Investigating...These consulates from all over the world are NOT CONNECTED TO WHAT REALLY HUMANS GO THROUGH.

If you really care for your fellow Australians. Send a bulletin to all press, tourist offices to warn tourist from low balcony railings in Thailand..Is this too freaking hard for a developed country to do, when the most visited forum in Thailand talks about it everyday?? or write about the dangers of bringing women to your room etc etc...Do not BS about humans rights or ethics.

Media and the establishment always plays the Cliche card.....common words they use..

"Suspicious"

"Investigating"

"Does not look suicide"

"bring friends and family of the deceased for narration"

and then after few weeks END.

All these journalist who care for fellow Australians never write about Balconies could be one of things...WHY?....Why they always write about non-sense. Embassies do the routine write-ups....

Embassies...."We are in touch with the families and doing everything we can in these time"

The fact is NOBODY FREAKING REALLY CARES in AUSTRALIA except your own Family.

80 Deaths of Australians and the government is still "Investigating" ...Is this Afghanistan?

Why there is no DIPLOMATIC PRESSURE EVER FROM AUSTRALIA ON THAILAND...

Australia or any other country WILL NEVER BREAK PROTOCOL FOR YOUR LOVED ONES. THEY DON'T CARE.

My point is ...Please take care of yourself...No body gives a F about you in this world only your family does. Don't make them go through the pain if something happens to you.

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...people don't go on holiday to commit suicide....

...so when will foreign governments get involved.....

Self-slaughter 

Its always the ultimate foregone conclusion  any unanswered death here in Thailand is written off as Suicide. For many a year, most of us time served TV members have gave our views on strange deaths by Farangs that never or does it seem to be, ever get solved to people's satisfaction. Usual straight forward evidence like cameras or witnesses are amiss with the usual shitty bungled investigations that leave a bad taste in ones mouth. I for one get a little paranoid holidaying in certain parts of the country being out late at night never knowing what to expect. I'm fully aware it happens elsewhere around the globe.

However, at least one knows investigatory measures are more thorough in other countries which helps a lot more to deter criminals from comitting on the spot crimes knowing they'll get nicked, 

Anyway, rest in peace young man. 

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...people don't go on holiday to commit suicide....

...so when will foreign governments get involved.....

it seems foreign govts stay out of things generally. i would like to see some sort of mandatory blood and urine reports done on every foreigner who dies in thailand. this would be far more productive than tracking us all by our cell phones. they could even bill it to the foreign government or next of kin. i know i would happily pay for some real results if someone i loved died in thailand.

16 hours ago, chainarong said:

Another Expat has come to grief , there has been so many lately that you need a calculator to keep track , the RTP are so sloppy in their handy work,  that as we know,  it will be a miracle if anything is even done let alone found , tour agents in the west should either advise or supply  a special booklet or apps to young single men ,  especially first timers to Thailand ,  pointing out the dangers and the problems that you can face in the land of Smiles.

He is not an expat,just a tourist.

26 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Could this be why so many deaths are quickly written off as suicide to protect the image and tourism?

Being known as the hub of suicides is not brilliant for the image of tourism either

Being know for having a strong and dedicated police force and courts who do their utmost to protect people against criminals 

would be much better wouldn't it?

from what i have seen here it is the goal to hide crime and pretend it does not exist. if only they put those efforts toward preventing crime i think there would be some real results.

3 hours ago, Plutojames88 said:

There is no evidence he committed suicide ....and it's offensive to pretend the family or friends that they "have no reason to doubt .." (.because junta boy says so.) 

I put it you , and others that not all sex workers are good , some like any occupation have a section that are dishonest.

Some even will kill for 50k 

He may have had significant funds on him.

One or several Thai males may have simply thrown him off and left.?

We don't know.

TAT might not find that a tasteful hypothetical but it's sometimes reality.

I recall a similar story in Pattaya dismissed as suicide ...and CTV showed Thai men entering room.

Sure he may have jumped slipped , been pushed .

But it's unlikely more so he committed suicide in that situation ....(especially at that age.) 

And the fact she left ...has not come forward hints that all may not have been so innocent

Youth and young men dying by their own hand is a huge problem in Australia.

16 hours ago, chainarong said:

Another Expat has come to grief , there has been so many lately that you need a calculator to keep track , the RTP are so sloppy in their handy work,  that as we know,  it will be a miracle if anything is even done let alone found , tour agents in the west should either advise or supply  a special booklet or apps to young single men ,  especially first timers to Thailand ,  pointing out the dangers and the problems that you can face in the land of Smiles.

"So many lately...?"  You guys and your hyperbole.  I've been in Thailand 10+ years and never had a problem, with safety or security.  What am I doing wrong?  Oh, but there are millions out there like me.  Conversely, we've had several children in the US die in amusement parks just recently.  Tragedy can happen anywhere.  As someone already mentioned, one just needs common sense to be perfectly safe in Thailand.  "Special booklet?"  "Apps?"  C'mon.

17 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Lets see what warnings should be provided?

Here is a good rule to stay alive:

Don't do anything here you would not do at home.

Pretty much sums it up but then what would be the fun of coming here for a young guy?

Hookers? No.

Drugs? No.

Motorbike without license or skills or even long pants? No.

could add book into a ground floor room

No evidence, no motive, and little information is exacty that.  Pressure from Australian Government cant solve an investigation if there is no information.

The Thai police could cordon off the building, assign a 40 man investigative team, bring in interpol, offer rewards, CSI, forensic accounting. No information is no information. Unless there is proof to the contrary, then death through miss adventure, suicide, an accident, is the result.

Maybe a wise thing to do in Thailand is make your circumstances known to others. 

A mate of mine knows roughly what I have in the bank, How much I usually spend, who I am seeing, weather I am shagging a rich Thai guys wife, etc . And I know his circumstances. 

Maybe Thai Visa could actually become a resource, a supportive forum thread for anyone having suicidal thoughts, or a sharing of circumstances thread, 

27 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Youth and young men dying by their own hand is a huge problem in Australia.

Yes ....correct ( In Australia ) 

More so in the gay communities and isolated unemployed or indigenous .

We can only wonder.? 

His photo shows a cheerful man .

Remember on holiday .

Does his profile fit? 

So young and able to Travel ? 

Smiling ? 

Certainly friends have cast doubt .

One poster advised us to take care .

Seems good advice when suicide is all we will get told was the cause

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

A starting point perhaps.......you know...last person known to be with deceased!!

Wasn't checking ID's supposed to be mandatory by law some time not that long ago?

17 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

Lots of unanswered questions, but I would not be hopeful that they will all be answered, over here.

with the victim dead we will at best hear only partial story. the circumstances of the death are unclear as the woman who checked in with the deceased left before the police arrived.

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

with the victim dead we will at best hear only partial story. the circumstances of the death are unclear as the woman who checked in with the deceased left before the police arrived.

And quite possibly before he departed the balcony.

I agree with the man's lady friend who doubts it was a suicide, owing to his general 'happy' disposition and that he was found naked. Either an accident or he was pushed, seems more logical. It is unlikely that the RTP will investigate his comings and goings, and who he was with at the time (because of their inherent laziness to solve Farang deaths in case it is taken up by the media and affects tourism). At best, they could take a blood test for drugs and alcohol levels, and then declare accidental death (whatever the result). Case closed.

RIP,  young man, and a timely warning (yet again) of residing up high in high rise condos.

for a person to commit suicide without clothes on sounds a bit odd. what is even more mysterious is that the woman who checked with the deceased  left just like that. hope she is traced so that light can be shed on this mystery,sad as it is.

17 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Lets see what warnings should be provided?

Here is a good rule to stay alive:

Don't do anything here you would not do at home.

Pretty much sums it up but then what would be the fun of coming here for a young guy?

Hookers? No.

Drugs? No.

Motorbike without license or skills or even long pants? No.

Avoid high rise units with balconies !

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

50,000 Baht?

Was he carrying that kind of money around? 

Does anyone carry that kind of cash around? 

That is twice what I will spend here in a month.

But that is because you probably dont have any money. Two years ago i had $A 10,000  for about one week until i was able to open a bank account.

3 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

But that is because you probably dont have any money. Two years ago i had $A 10,000  for about one week until i was able to open a bank account.

I never met a sailor or fisherman yet who could hold onto that much money for an entire week without going on a drunk and pissing it away.

I don't believe your claim. ;-)

19 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

A starting point perhaps.......you know...last person known to be with deceased!!

Wasn't checking ID's supposed to be mandatory by law some time not that long ago?

I am sure the police are looking for her and may well have even spoken to her by now. Point I was making is, she would probably have an explanation.

Unless she is holding the smoking gun or confesses,  that's the end of the investigation. 

3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I never met a sailor or fisherman yet who could hold onto that much money for an entire week without going on a drunk and pissing it away.

I don't believe your claim. ;-)

At 80 years of age i am past all that !   So why should i be concerned what you think sonny !

Edited by oldsailor35