Call from kasikorn asking questions about incoming transfer

I received two payments made by clients overseas on my kasikorn business account. On both occasions i got a phonecall from kasikorn asking me what the payments are for.

Is this something new? Never had that before. Is this a new rule by the BOT? Or is their suspicion towards foreigners doing business in Thailand reaching a new height?

In these times it’s nothing unusual to be asked what a transfer is for.

For Thai banks I have only been questioned about amounts exceeding $50,000, but there could be other triggers. For European banks I have regularly been asked, even once when I sent money (to Thailand), the European bank called me up and asked for the reason and if they should expect similar in the future.

There is a lot of pressure on the banks to have “know your customer” procedures to prevent money laundering and funding of terrorist cells, which is what causes these minor annoyances. I must have talked with a dozen or so bank staffers about my money transfers, and I get the feeling that some of them are as annoyed about this as I am.

I also have bank dealings in the U.S., but never ever has there been a problem there, even though I am not a U.S. citizen and have probably transferred as much as half a million dollars in a single transaction. They are probably too busy imposing banking regulation on the rest of the world :)