"what Thaksin Had Done Wrong"

george

Firms, MPs 'colluded' on airport

Contractors, heads could be charged

A sub-panel under the Assets Scrutiny Committee has found that two contractors of Airports of Thailand Plc colluded with 22 politicians and officials accused of involvement in the ''overpriced'' procurement of a baggage-handling system for Suvarnabhumi airport, a source in the inquiry team said yesterday.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/02Feb2007_news07.php

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaruvan rejects Thaksin's plea for new panel members

Auditor General Jaruvan Maintaka Friday disregarded an appeal by deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra that she and two of her colleagues should quit from an investigative panel of the CTX 9000 bomb scanners' purchase.

She said Thaksin's lawyer had asked the Assets Examination Commission (AEC) to replace Jaruvan, Paitoon Tippayathas as a legal director of the Auditor General's Office (AGO) and Pol Col Chaithas Rattanaphan as an AGO investigative director with those who were neutral.

He alleged that all three had been involved with the case from the beginning, so they could be biased.

However, the AEC rejected the appeal, Jaruvan said.

"If the examination clings to this claim, then we [the three] won't be able to do any investigations because all cases on graft scandals derive from the AGO," she said.

The Nation

-------------------------------------------------

That's an interesting, albeit extremely weak, delay tactic by Thaksin's attorney, Noppadope.

Disqualify people that are familiar with the cases and start all over with people that need to be brought up to speed.

Think of something else, Noppadope.... this one isn't going to work.

Jaruvan rejects Thaksin's plea for new panel members

Auditor General Jaruvan Maintaka Friday disregarded an appeal by deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra that she and two of her colleagues should quit from an investigative panel of the CTX 9000 bomb scanners' purchase.

She said Thaksin's lawyer had asked the Assets Examination Commission (AEC) to replace Jaruvan, Paitoon Tippayathas as a legal director of the Auditor General's Office (AGO) and Pol Col Chaithas Rattanaphan as an AGO investigative director with those who were neutral.

He alleged that all three had been involved with the case from the beginning, so they could be biased.

However, the AEC rejected the appeal, Jaruvan said.

"If the examination clings to this claim, then we [the three] won't be able to do any investigations because all cases on graft scandals derive from the AGO," she said.

The Nation

-------------------------------------------------

That's an interesting, albeit extremely weak, delay tactic by Thaksin's attorney, Noppadope.

Disqualify people that are familiar with the cases and start all over with people that need to be brought up to speed.

Think of something else, Noppadope.... this one isn't going to work.

I must admit amused was how I felt when I read this. Not too many days ago I can recall (I guess its time for a nick name here) ‘Thaksin’s remote mouth’ was saying that Thaksin was not aware of all the problems at the future “Cobra Swamp” subway station. Now he is asking to have key investigators removed. I take that as a sign that Thaksin feels that is his most vulnerable point.

A few other points that may be worth watching. By some interviewers observations Thaksin appears to have lost some weight. Although he puts on a strong face that would suggest he is much more concerned and not doing yoga as he suggests. Down side that makes Thaksin more aggressive.

I can only ditto Plus' words.

May I add a few more.

The poll cited by one of the posters is nothing new and nothing that you would not expect. These type of polls dont really say much and are rarely accurate.

Why do you think Taksin enjoys support among the rural Thai population?

Rural towns and communities for years the forgotten part of the country, now have paved roads, electricity that is constant, telephones that work, better street lighting.

The villagers now can go to hospitals and recieve medical treatment, whereas before they had to rely on clinics and local wisdom.

And lets not forget education.

On this and other forums, there is an increasing amount of foreigners earning a living teaching in out of the way schools. Unheard of 6 years ago. Scholarships being given to the best and the brightest for further studies and even being sent overseas to study. Again unheard of 6 years ago.

This is now being looked at, by the military government. Cutting off the education of the youth in the country, coming back to the old way of the rich and well off, chinese shop owners in Bangkok who willingly pay top dollar to have their kids privately tutored.

How will this bode for the future of the country if we go back to the old ways.

The visa laws and the alcohol advertising ban, welcomed by the general Thai population. This is what was started 6 years ago by Purachai, and his new social order campaign, lauded by the general population and which many felt was well overdue. As to was the drug war by the way.

The main opposition came from the Bangkok population, who resisted any attempt to see their way of life eroded by sending money to the country.

Debts were increasing among thenhouseholders. You cant really blame Taksin for that. A generation who all of a sudden had credit cards and well stocked stores, a generation who were trying to life a lifestyle they couldnt sustain.

It's not going to be much different.

The paved roads came years before Thaksin, as did cheap healthcare for the poor. Thaksin tried to pretend he set up universal healthcare but in practice the 30 baht scheme was very limited, basically paracetomal and be on your way.

Regarding telephones, after Thaksin came to power getting a fixed line became much harder, I wonder why?

Scholarships for the best and brightest, one in 10,000! What about improving the education of the other 9,999? But Thaksin never cared about education, he changed education ministers with every season, and don't forget his stinging rebuke of teachers as lazy and apathetic.

As for foreigners teaching upcountry, they've been doing that for years, it was Thaksin's government that wrote the new visa laws.

You seem to be confused about Purachai, he was a founder member of TRT with support in Bangkok and is a member of the elite owning a lot of land. Personally I doubt there is a lot of public support for the banning of alcohol adverts.

Regarding debt, Thaksin had no part in this?! Who lent the villages 1 million baht with no strings attached? Who was the owner of Capital OK, a finance company aimed at the poor?

'Fellow peasants',พ่อเเม่พี่น้อง Phi will lend you money,( not mine but the taxpayers'), and not too much that you can really start a business but enough for you to buy one of my AIS phones'.

Another farang that does not want to see the Thai poor do well.

Who can blame him really because maybe then the poor Thai people in general will find their dignity, prosper and their daughters will no longer need to bow to them anymore. This would upset his little fifedom no end.

Yes I can see Thaksin would be a great threat to these khenok farangs.

Thaksin helped the poor rural Thais immensely....just ask anyone from the N/NE of Thailand.

I can only ditto Plus' words.

May I add a few more.

The poll cited by one of the posters is nothing new and nothing that you would not expect. These type of polls dont really say much and are rarely accurate.

Why do you think Taksin enjoys support among the rural Thai population?

Rural towns and communities for years the forgotten part of the country, now have paved roads, electricity that is constant, telephones that work, better street lighting.

The villagers now can go to hospitals and recieve medical treatment, whereas before they had to rely on clinics and local wisdom.

And lets not forget education.

On this and other forums, there is an increasing amount of foreigners earning a living teaching in out of the way schools. Unheard of 6 years ago. Scholarships being given to the best and the brightest for further studies and even being sent overseas to study. Again unheard of 6 years ago.

This is now being looked at, by the military government. Cutting off the education of the youth in the country, coming back to the old way of the rich and well off, chinese shop owners in Bangkok who willingly pay top dollar to have their kids privately tutored.

How will this bode for the future of the country if we go back to the old ways.

The visa laws and the alcohol advertising ban, welcomed by the general Thai population. This is what was started 6 years ago by Purachai, and his new social order campaign, lauded by the general population and which many felt was well overdue. As to was the drug war by the way.

The main opposition came from the Bangkok population, who resisted any attempt to see their way of life eroded by sending money to the country.

Debts were increasing among thenhouseholders. You cant really blame Taksin for that. A generation who all of a sudden had credit cards and well stocked stores, a generation who were trying to life a lifestyle they couldnt sustain.

It's not going to be much different.

The paved roads came years before Thaksin, as did cheap healthcare for the poor. Thaksin tried to pretend he set up universal healthcare but in practice the 30 baht scheme was very limited, basically paracetomal and be on your way.

Regarding telephones, after Thaksin came to power getting a fixed line became much harder, I wonder why?

Scholarships for the best and brightest, one in 10,000! What about improving the education of the other 9,999? But Thaksin never cared about education, he changed education ministers with every season, and don't forget his stinging rebuke of teachers as lazy and apathetic.

As for foreigners teaching upcountry, they've been doing that for years, it was Thaksin's government that wrote the new visa laws.

You seem to be confused about Purachai, he was a founder member of TRT with support in Bangkok and is a member of the elite owning a lot of land. Personally I doubt there is a lot of public support for the banning of alcohol adverts.

Regarding debt, Thaksin had no part in this?! Who lent the villages 1 million baht with no strings attached? Who was the owner of Capital OK, a finance company aimed at the poor?

'Fellow peasants',พ่อเเม่พี่น้อง Phi will lend you money,( not mine but the taxpayers'), and not too much that you can really start a business but enough for you to buy one of my AIS phones'.

Another farang that does not want to see the Thai poor do well.

Who can blame him really because maybe then the poor Thai people in general will find their dignity, prosper and their daughters will no longer need to bow to them anymore. This would upset his little fifedom no end.

Yes I can see Thaksin would be a great threat to these khenok farangs.

Thaksin helped the poor rural Thais immensely....just ask anyone from the N/NE of Thailand.

Prompted by your last comment I asked my wife, mother-in law and a few others in the family who all come from one of the poorest families in their Northern region village. Funnily enough most didnt think much of Mr. Thaksin although one of my wifes sisters who has gained a hel_l of a lot of farm animals through his schemes reckons he is good. Apparently the 30-baht scheme doesnt have a very good reputation where they are from too. Oh and they remember when the local TRT made men left them for months with no water saying there were no funds left to drill a new well. Oh and apparently the village fund is a fine idea but it is hard to get access to any of what remains after the village headman has creamed his bit off unless you know the right people. Oh and the main drug dealers joined the TRT and didnt suffer while some local harmless junkies got hauled away.

Now I wouldnt be so stupid as to say this little snapshot represents the whole of the Northern region. For a start there is the well issue and my wifes family are famous for not taking any gifts or money from politicians. I am quite sure that Mr. T with his well marketted schemes still retains a lot of popularity. However, it is completely erroneous to make statements like "just ask anyone from the N/NE of Thailand", and as my wife points out it is an insult to the people of the regions to group them all together in a single stereotype.

Peace

CORRUPTION INVESTIGATIONS

More may be named in airport scanner scam

Indictments imminent in graft probe, and AEC scope may be widened

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) will tomorrow debate whether to name eight additional suspects in the CTX bomb-detectors scandal, said AEC member Amnuay Tanthara.

He said the eight additional names were now in the hands of a sub-committee in charge of a hearing on possible indictments relating to the airport's controversial installation of the CTX system. Amnuay, also chairman of the sub-committee, said the names would be handed to the AEC for consideration tomorrow.

The AEC has accused deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, former transport minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit and 20 other officials of performing their duty dishonestly by hiring contractors to provide 26 CTX 9000 luggage-scanners and related equipment.

Amnuay said the AEC was ready to widen its graft probes relating to the construction of Suvarnabhumi Airport should relevant authorities uncover new evidence.

"The AEC is ready to get to the bottom of the Suvarnabhumi case," he said, adding that evidence already uncovered would be a basis on which to build additional cases.

He was commenting on news reports that the Council for National Security was poised to ask the AEC to expand its investigation into the Suvarnabhumi case.

The AEC's two sub-committees have reached the hearing stage for indictments relating to the CTX scandal and the airport's electrification system.

AEC member Kaewsan Atibhodi said he was waiting for a formal request from the National Leglislative Assembly before looking into the substandard air-conditioning system and the 400-Hertz power-transmission system at the new airport.

NLA transport committee chairman Admiral Banawit Kengrien said last week he had uncovered fresh evidence of irregularities relating to air-conditioning and power transmission.

In regard to the AEC's investigation into the Shin Corp deal, AEC member Sak Korsaengruang said he expected one of the tax-evasion cases would be complete and reach public prosecutors within a week.

The case in question involves Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of Thaksin, and her brother Bhanapot Damapong, he said.

- The Nation

Democrats to launch report on former government’s alleged corruption

BANGKOK – The Democrat Party will publish the results of its investigation into the former government of Thaksin Shinawatra’s alleged corruption on Monday.

Alongkorn Pollabutr, Democrat party deputy leader who heads its panel probing corruption allegations in the previous administration, said his team has found evidence to back up claims of at least 34 cases of alleged corruption during Mr Thaksin’s five-year tenure in office.

Contrary to what Mr Thaksin claimed in the latest issue of Time Magazine, the Democrat ex-MP said he and his colleagues found rampant corrupt practices in the previous government involving either Mr Thaksin and his family, cabinet ministers or their associates.

The Democrat Party will present the findings to the press at 10 am. on Monday.

Alleged rampant corruption under the Thaksin government was one of the main reasons cited by the military for staging the coup on September 19 last year. The military council subsequently set up the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) to scrutinise controversial schemes and alleged abuse of power by the previous government.

In the Asia edition of Time Magazine, which features Mr Thaksin on its cover and a five-page special report about Thailand’s former leader, it says that the CNS is probing "52 cases of possible corruption or abuse of power" during Mr. Thaksin's premiership and may bring charges by the end of this month.

But Mr Thaksin himself argued in the one-to-one interview with the magazine that the allegations were baseless and were simply used as an excuse by the military to oust his elected government. But he added that, "At any rate, corruption will not go away in Thailand—it's in the system".(TNA)-E110

- MCOT

... and the aforementioned report turns out to be a BOOK of offenses :o:D :

Democrat Launches Book On Thaksin's Corruption Cases

BANGKOK -- The Democrat Party, Thailand's oldest political party, Monday launched a 336-page book that outlines 34 corruption cases involving deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, ranging from the sale of Shin Corporation to Singapore and the problem-ridden Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr, who headed a team of 33 politicians and academics probing the cases, said 10,000 copies of the "Black Cover Book: A Menu to Corruption under the Thaksin Government", would be distributed beginning tomorrow.

He said there were ample evidence to show rampant corrupt practices during Thaksin's reign from 2001 to September last year when he was ousted in a military coup.

"We will distribute the book to the National Legislative Assembly, Council for National Security (CNS), foreign embassies in Thailand and the Thai embassies overseas," he told a press conference here today.

Among the cases cited in the book was the controversial sale of Thaksin's family-owned Shin Corporation, which controls various businesses like telecommunication and aviation, to Singapore's Temasek Holdings in January, 2006 and became the catalyst for his ouster.

The 60-year-old Democrat Party also alleged that there was corruption in the construction of the Suvarnabhumi Airport which is undergoing numerous repairs just five months after opening, the airport link and the King Power duty-free shops at the airport.

Many of the cases mentioned in the book had already been investigated by several panels, including the Assets Examination Committee set by the military-controlled CNS which had cited Thaksin's corruption and power abuse during his five-year rule as among the reasons for toppling him.

Democrat leader, Abhisit Vejjajiva said the cases showed how corruption methods were changing and embedded in the Thai political system.

He said the book would be a valuable guide to the investigators and the Thai people on the rampant corruption and power abuse during Thaksin's era.

-- BERNAMA

still another noun for it.... a corruption MENU :

Former opposition Democrat party unveils 'corruption menu'

BANGKOK -- The former opposition Democrat Party has issued a "Black Paper" featuring a menu of alleged corruption which it says took place under the previous government led by deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

At the party's headquarters, Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva introduced the Black Paper containing 34 items of a "corruption menu" involving alleged corruption involving government and corporate projects, both at the policy or implementation level, by the previous Thaksin administration.

The alleged misconducts and graft involved the Bt73 billion sale of Shin Corp shares by Mr. Thaksin's family to Singapore's Temasek Holdings, Shin Corp's tax-evasion case, and the Ministry of Agriculture's rubber sapling procurement scheme among other scandals.

Mr. Abhisit suggested the current government under Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont should study his party's Black Paper to better deal with those malpractices allegedly done during the Thaksin regime.

The Democrat Party's collected charges will be distributed to the Assets Examination Committee, the National Counter-Corruption Commission, the National Legislative Assembly, embassies in Bangkok and the mass media.

- MCOT

New 'menus for graft' in Democrat's book

The Democrats yesterday launched a 'black paper' titled "Menus for Corruption in Thaksin's Regime", giving details of 34 projects suspected of corruption.

They said they would send the book to government agencies and embassies to study.

Deputy party leader Alongkorn Pollabutr, who also heads the party's corruption investigation team, said the book was a revelation of the various forms of corruption during the five years of the Thaksin Shinawatra government.

He said he will send the book to the government, the Council for National Security, the Assets Examination Committee, as well as the media and the embassies of foreign countries in Thailand and Thai embassies abroad.

The book, priced at Bt150 a copy, includes information of corruption on many projects that are now under investigation, including the procurement of the CTX 9000 bomb scanners, the rubber saplings scandal and alleged tax evasion in the Shin Corp share sales.

The book is written by several Democrats and academics, including former Transport Minister Winai Sompong and former ambassador Kasit Piromya.

Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the book should be useful for anti-corruption campaigners as it explored the forms or methods of corruption, which kept changing all the time.

The Nation

Approval grows for Thaksin as Thai Government blunders

Connie Levett, Bangkok

February 6, 2007 The Age Melbourne.

THE shadow of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra looms over Thailand's military-appointed Government, with support for the discredited leader once again on the rise.

Unable to woo voters at home, Mr Thaksin has hired a firm of Washington lobbyists to polish his image as a poll shows support for Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont is plummeting — from 70 per cent approval in November to 48 per cent. In the same ABAC poll, Mr Thaksin's support has risen from 15 per cent to a still modest 21 per cent.

The public's perception that the Government is in "neutral gear", according to the poll, works in Mr Thaksin's favour. There have been a series of blunders: a diplomatic spat with Singapore, a brief economic meltdown following the introduction of strict currency controls, and ongoing security concerns after the New Year's Eve bombings in Bangkok.

While he waits, the self-exiled Mr Thaksin, with the help of lobbyists Barbour, Griffith and Rogers, is waging an international public relations campaign. This week, Mr Thaksin's "Staying Power" is on the cover of Time Asia magazine. He has also done an extended CNN interview, and talked to the Asian Wall Street Journal. A recent article in The Economist savaged the Government's "sufficiency economy" policy and highlighted the benefits of Mr Thaksin's regime.

His recent "private" meeting with Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister, S. Jayakumar, set off a diplomatic row that put his name in the papers at home. The junta's clumsy reaction, cancelling a visit by Singapore's Foreign Minister, George Yeo, plunged them into a new crisis.

In his interviews, Mr Thaksin has promised he is done with politics, but few believe him. The voters who marched against him now worry he may return.

The problem for the Thai Government is, first, that Mr Thaksin can afford to wait. He has billions of dollars and a vested interest in a return to power.

Second, he is not playing by the Thai rule that after a coup, the ousted leader fades away.

"He is trying to shake us up," Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram said recently. " There is evidence he is not about to call it quits."

Except that America has a long tradition of abandoning previously-supported dictators, once they have been deposed by the local populace...

but anyway.... it's now a "Black Book"... but not exactly what has traditionally been known as the "Little Black Book"

'Black book' lists Thaksin-era graft

The Democrat party launched a ''black book'' yesterday detailing 34 cases of alleged corruption and abuse of power under the Thaksin government. The party said the 350-page book would help the interim government dig into irregularities and counter ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's denials of involvement. It comes at a time when Mr Thaksin is busy giving interviews to the foreign media in a bid to clear himself of corruption allegations. The book contains four sections _ policy-oriented corruption, alleged irregularities in Suvarnabhumi airport's construction, the alleged corrupt conduct of Mr Thaksin's relatives, and of his ministers.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Feb2007_news03.php

Edited by sriracha john

Book on Thaksin’s art of graft launched

BANGKOK: Thailand’s 60-year-old Democrat Party yesterday launched a guide book on the advances made in the art of corruption under ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

“The methods of corruption are changing and improving all the time,” said Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, at a press conference announcing the launch of A Menu to Corruption under the Thaksin Regime.

The book was written by a team of 33 academics and politicians from the Democrat Party, Thailand’s oldest political party that was in the opposition throughout Thaksin’s premierships between 2001 and 2006.

Abhisit said the book should prove a valuable guide to the public and anti-corruption campaigners in the future as it exposes the methods by which corruption now works in the Thai political system.

The Democrats’ book provides details on 34 cases of policy corruption used under the Thaksin governments.

For instance, one case study reveals how the limousine service at Bangkok’s new Suvarnabhumi Airport hires BMW, Isuzu and Nissan vehicles at four to five times the selling costs from select companies with political connections. :o:D

“We don’t want history to repeat itself,” said Ong-art Klampaiboon, a spokesman for the Democrat Party, on the party’s reason for publishing the book.

– DPA

post-9005-1171078593_thumb.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra (file photo)

Thai Investigators Probe Allegations of Corruption Under Previous Government

A Thai committee examining alleged corruption by the deposed government of Thaksin Shinawatra says cases involving the country's new international airport will be presented to a criminal court by late May. As Ron Corben reports from Bangkok, the look into the troubled airport is just one of several investigations into Mr. Thaksin's administration.

A committee of auditors and senior judges says corruption in the construction of the $4 billion Suvarnabhumi International Airport might have cost taxpayers more than $40 million.

The Assets Investigation Committee was created by the Thai military after it ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a coup last September.

The committee is investigating allegations of corruption during Mr. Thaksin's five-year term. Among the topics of investigation is the sale of his family's telecommunications company to a Singapore investment firm, which earned the family almost $2 billion tax-free.

The immediate concern is the new airport, which opened in September southeast of Bangkok.

Auditor General Jaruvan Maintaka says the committee is "very confident" that the evidence supports allegations of corruption there - although she says uncovering the evidence was not easy.

"The whole thing was very well planned. It makes the whole investigation very much more difficult," she said.

Because of that, she says, the investigations have been painstaking.

"We need to be very certain that there would be no hole for them to look out. So we are very, very careful on each of the words we are going to use. That's why we take a certain time here," she said.

Appeals Court Judge Amnuay Phantara says the committee examined an airport contract for U.S.-made luggage scanners, known as CTX scanners, as well as contracts involving companies from Japan, Germany and Thailand.

Amnuay says the investigation closely follows the Anti-Corruption Act. He says final documents will be submitted to the Auditor General's office, to allow court hearings to start by late May.

Mr. Thaksin, the former transport minister, the former Airport Authority chairman and other Thaksin government officials have been accused of corruption in the CTX case. Mr. Thaksin and members of his government have repeatedly denied the allegations, which first surfaced while he was still in office.

Earlier this week, the Democrat Party, a strong critic of Mr. Thaksin, released a summary of its own investigations into Thaksin-era dealings. The report estimates that corruption and cronyism cost Thailand more than $850 million. (28,496,251,297.01 Thai Baht)

Democrat Party deputy leader Alongkorn Ponlaboot calls the scanner contract central to the party's investigation, which also examined the contract for airport duty-free shops that went to a company called King Power.

"The CTX corruption scandal is one of the major topics in the book, and also about the King Power. We try to pinpoint that there is no transparency to provide such a concession," he said.

The new airport has been plagued by problems. Cracks in the parking ramps for jetliners and other flaws have forced the government to start reopening Bangkok's old airport, which had been closed down. Some domestic and international flights will be routed there until the problems are resolved.

- VOA

ap_thailand_Pojamarn_Shinawatra_Tha.jpg

Pojaman Shinawatra

Wife of Deposed Thai PM Faces Criminal Tax Evasion Charges

The wife of former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra faces criminal tax evasion charges as part of corruption investigations into the family's business. As Ron Corben reports from Bangkok, the case is linked to stock transfers before Thaksin came to power in 2001.

The case against Pojaman Shinawatra, wife of deposed Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is one of several investigations underway into the business affairs of the Thaksin family and the actions of his administration.

Thaksin, ousted in a coup last September, strenuously denies the allegations against his wife, calling them politically motivated.

A spokesman for the committee investigating the Thaksin family says Pojaman and her step-brother failed to pay up to $15 million in taxes on the transfer of shares in 1997. The charges, if proven, carry fines and jail terms of up to seven years. They are also charged with providing misleading information to the authorities.

The Shinawatras claim the transfer of 4.5 million shares in the family company was a gift. Pojaman also is under investigation for a land deal involving the Central Bank of Thailand.

Other investigators have indicated they will soon charge Mr. Thaksin and airport authorities for corruption connected to the building of Bangkok's new but problem-plagued international airport.

Chulalongkorn University politics professor Thitinan Pongsudhirak says the steps to prosecute the family and their business associates raise some interesting questions.

"One is whether these charges will lead to some kind of real punishment; whether they will really stick," said Thitinan. "Obviously, there will be indictments, but what kind of convictions will we see."

Thitinan adds that the indictments could prevent Thaksin from returning to politics.

"In the short term, the noose is tightening on Thaksin and his family. It will prevent him from coming back for sure," said Thitinan. "But in the longer term - as we have seen in Thailand - many cases like this, they never go to jail and they end up returning to politics."

Thaksin's legal representatives are expecting the former premier to return to Thailand later this year, as required under Thai law, once indictments are presented to the court. The whereabouts of his wife are unclear, although she is known to have returned to Thailand for visits since her husband was deposed.

- VOA

"What Thaksin Had Done Wrong"

Sonthi Limtongkhul is back on public television explaining what Thaksin has done and is STILL doing wrong. Channel 11 is now airing ASTV programming every evening between 8:30- to 9:30 pm where Sonthi is explaining and exposing corruption cases, electoral fraud, tax evasion etc.

Welcome back to public television. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Sonthi Limtongkhul is back on public television explaining what Thaksin has done and is STILL doing wrong. Channel 11 is now airing ASTV programming every evening between 8:30- to 9:30 pm where Sonthi is explaining and exposing corruption cases, electoral fraud, tax evasion etc.

Yes, we saw the little pig.

oh... did Samak The Pig make an appearance on the show?

Thumbnail.jpg

Graft law changes

The Cabinet yesterday decided to amend two key provisions in the organic graft law in order to facilitate probes into abuse of power and corruption involving the ousted administration, government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said.

The amendments to Articles 66 and 67 of the National Counter Corruption Commission Act would be drafted by the Justice Ministry and should ready for Cabinet review next Tuesday, Yongyuth said.

"The gist of the amendments is to allow the activation of a graft probe against political office holders without requiring a government agency to step forward as an injured party," he said.

The draft amendments would be fast-tracked by the National Legislative Assembly for timely enforcement by the Assets Examination Committee, he said.

NCCC chairman Panthep Klanarongran said the planned amendments would help the AEC overcome any delaying tactics as well as assist future graft probes under the NCCC's jurisdiction.

The commission will hold a press conference today to outline the progress of its major cases since being appointed four months ago.

Meanwhile, Attorney General Office (OAG) spokesman Attapol Yaisawang said it would take less than one month to check the investigation file of the tax evasion case against Khunying Poja-man Shinawatra.

Source: The Nation - 15 February 2007

Must be his year :D

oh... did Samak The Pig make an appearance on the show?

Thumbnail.jpg

Now talking of corruption and firetrucks and boats old Samak has been keeping a low profile since his vicious but typical intervention against all who criticized Mr. Thaksin before the fall of his idol. With a bit of luck Thailand has seen the last of this old dinosaur.

Now talking of corruption and firetrucks and boats old Samak has been keeping a low profile since his vicious but typical intervention against all who criticized Mr. Thaksin before the fall of his idol. With a bit of luck Thailand has seen the last of this old dinosaur.

Unfortunately, this guy has more lives than the 9 lives of a cat. Remember, he was a wash out as Bangkok Governor, literally giving up in his last year and focusing on his cooking show. Then a few years later gets elected to the Senate representing Bangkok. That shouldn't be possible, but shows that this guy won't go away.

from the thread, "Constitution Drafting Assembly Appointed by Royal Decree,"

and there's always little brother Sumit ready to pick up the slack of older brother Samak:

Prachakorn Thai Party submits suggestions on charter drafting to CDA

Prachakorn Thai Party Lerder Sumit Sundaravej submitted the party’s suggestions on the new charter to Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Assembly (CDA), Noraniti Sethabutr.

Now there's a name we can all know and trust.

Sumit is the younger brother of former Prachakorn Thai leader and ex-Bangkok Governor Samak Sundaravej.

- TV5 News

:D

The other suggestions calls for a reduction of a 90 day-party membership period of MP candidates to 60 days before a general election
wonder if that is related to events earlier this year:

"The Election Commission is too strict on candidacy qualifications," Prachakorn Thai Party leader Sumit Sundaravej complained. At the rate it was losing candidates it had no hope of becoming an effective opposition, he said. As of yesterday, the commission had disqualified 81 candidates of 140 under the party's banner in Bangkok. Sumit said 10 of his party's candidates upcountry also were on the verge of being removed.

The commission said most of those disqualified failed to meet the 90-day rule for party affiliation.

- The Nation / March 15, 2006

:o

Edited by sriracha john