"what Thaksin Had Done Wrong"

george

Intersting list. The only problem is proving it. Proving that men in uniform have appoited their friends in state enterprises and have breached the trust of their sharholders is much easier. How about trippling the economic growth? Or having been able to reduce the death of infants in half? Having been able to reduce the tea money that the friends of the couptakers asked for a place in university or demonstration schools? having supplies the poor with microcredit (not a bad thing given the nobel prize this year), or having been able to help out the poor when their was a disaster (Have not yet seen a hirake in uniform this time, maybe they were too busy). Or what about having reduced the number of children addicted to drugs. And did Thaksin not get his satellite license from the last military government, as well the mobile phone license? Some people must have profitted? It is so easy to make a list, substantiating is much more of a headache.

Wait till that other general Chavalit makes a list about those other generals, that would be more fun.

By the way what happened with the freedom of speech, that Sondhi could use to criticize Thaksin? Why aren't we treated with the same courtesy?

Just wondering

So interesting isn't it. Accusations galore. Thaksin banished from the country. No substantive evidence to date. Freedoms lost to regular Thai citizens. Democracy takes a hit.

Who exactly is profiting from this?

That's the question that should be answered.

So far the Thai people are profiting from a stable and peacful government and that's all that counts right now. This government is repeatedly blamed for having destroyed the democracy while it has given a very clear plan about his actions and the timeline for these actions, including its own life-time. I don't understand why everybody hacks on the democracy thing. I'm born in an exemplary direct democracy, but who the hel_l told us that this is the only governmental form for having a country and his people living in peace and happyness?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... there's more to the democratic process than a 'free and fair election'; but 'just villagers' you say? Let's remember we're talking about 80% of the Thai people...although I do realise that the Bangkok elitists would probably consider that 80% barely worth counting.

Where did you get this number - 80%? In the last, botched April elections, Thaksin got just 50% - 60%, depending on how you count, but nowhere near 80. In the run up to abandoned October elections his poll results were even worse.

And that INCLUDING all the bought votes.

It is wrong to assume that anti-Thaksin protesters were also anti-villagers. That is what TRT propaganda told the farmers to believe.

Thaksin used farmers only as a human shield - if you attack him, he'll say you are against 80% majority of farmers and you don't care about their votes and interests.

What he gave to farmers is peanuts comparing with what he took himself. Just enough to keep them around, admiring his generosity.

It is also wrong to state that protesters were motivated by losing their share of national income and disproportionate taxation. They didn't worry about 30 baht scheme debts, they worried about billions siphoned by Thaksin and his cronies, billion that would keep the system going for a few years for free.

Take renegotiated contract between AIS and TOT. Accumulated lossed to the country are about 80 billion, profits for AIS owners - whatever operating profit the company made due to reduced payments multiplied by price-earning ratio on Thai stock exchange.

Price tag for running 30 baht scheme for a year - 50-60 bil.

... there's more to the democratic process than a 'free and fair election'; but 'just villagers' you say? Let's remember we're talking about 80% of the Thai people...although I do realise that the Bangkok elitists would probably consider that 80% barely worth counting.

Where did you get this number - 80%? In the last, botched April elections, Thaksin got just 50% - 60%, depending on how you count, but nowhere near 80. In the run up to abandoned October elections his poll results were even worse.

And that INCLUDING all the bought votes.

It is wrong to assume that anti-Thaksin protesters were also anti-villagers. That is what TRT propaganda told the farmers to believe.

Thaksin used farmers only as a human shield - if you attack him, he'll say you are against 80% majority of farmers and you don't care about their votes and interests.

What he gave to farmers is peanuts comparing with what he took himself. Just enough to keep them around, admiring his generosity.

It is also wrong to state that protesters were motivated by losing their share of national income and disproportionate taxation. They didn't worry about 30 baht scheme debts, they worried about billions siphoned by Thaksin and his cronies, billion that would keep the system going for a few years for free.

Take renegotiated contract between AIS and TOT. Accumulated lossed to the country are about 80 billion, profits for AIS owners - whatever operating profit the company made due to reduced payments multiplied by price-earning ratio on Thai stock exchange.

Price tag for running 30 baht scheme for a year - 50-60 bil.

After the April 2 election my wife and I followed the little ticker tape things giving results out. In the past they had always efficiently started almost as soon as counting began and they gave very detailed info and continued until very late when results were fairly sure. After the April 2 election they started late and were cut off very early and on some stations the no votes were not always listed, and the ratios that existed even up country changed dramatically between the TV ticker tape going off and Mr. Thaksin then declaring the vote totals and the discredited election commisdion then vaguely releasing unofficial numbers that supported Mr. Thaksins statement but which as has been so eloquently pointed out by Chang Noi defied reality. Obviously we will never know the exact numbers from the April 2 election and luckily it was annulled.

However, the interesting point following the ticker tape results, which were relayed direct from ongoing counts, until they were prematurely cut off was that in the Northern region the number of no votes ran very high and in many provinces was over one third of total, in more than few constituencies was neck and neck and in one Northern province the no vote exceeded that of TRT in every constituency. The no vote was lower in most of the Isaan being 15-30%. The no vote in the TRT controlled Eastern region more or less was sweeping every province. In the center the no vote was doing very well too, and of course in the South and Bangkok the no vote was solid. Why after the ticker tape thingy went off things suddenly went so well for TRT we will never know, but it sure led to more than a few to question the level of TRT support coutrywide, and to this day I remember the cartoon of the blacked out no vote character at the top of a winning podium standing there as the EC raised the hand of Mr Thaksin while he stood in the silver medal position.

Where is he now? Does anyone know?

He's in Bali now, but will fly today to Hong Kong to meet his wife, Potjaman, to celebrate her birthday...

just before she goes off to prison:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=996591

ohh... and once again,

Happy Birthday, Potjaman!!

post-9005-1164181288.gif

221106_new01.jpg

Looking lovely as ever...

:o

Edited by sriracha john

SJ, Hammered, Barney - at last posters I know. Who were all those folks who jumped on this whitepaper overnight? It's not the first time something like this happens. I somehow think that most of them will never be seen here again.

Generals might put all these allegations to test in courts, and they've been trying to.

However they are the power above any court here, and so was Thaksin. Getting legal stamp of approval from courts you can appoint or dismiss at will means nothing in this high stake game. They are the law and the final judgement in this country, for all practical reasons (and they always have been).

That Handley character whose interview we've been encouraged to listen to wrote a book that has been banned in Thailand, and for good reasons. All references to it have been routinely deleted by the mods here, I don't know what they stance on it now. Maybe it's changed.

Is promotion of banned material finally allowed here?

SJ, Hammered, Barney - at last posters I know. Who were all those folks who jumped on this whitepaper overnight? It's not the first time something like this happens. I somehow think that most of them will never be seen here again.

Generals might put all these allegations to test in courts, and they've been trying to.

However they are the power above any court here, and so was Thaksin. Getting legal stamp of approval from courts you can appoint or dismiss at will means nothing in this high stake game. They are the law and the final judgement in this country, for all practical reasons (and they always have been).

That Handley character whose interview we've been encouraged to listen to wrote a book that has been banned in Thailand, and for good reasons. All references to it have been routinely deleted by the mods here, I don't know what they stance on it now. Maybe it's changed.

It's the mass emailing effect. I've learned to stay out of these until around 100 posts have been made in order for the newly-joined and others to post and for precisely the other reasons you mentioned.

And regarding Handley. Yes, his book is banned in Thailand... and yes, for good reason. It violates one of the tenets of thaivisa as well regarding the Royal Thai Family.

It's the mass emailing effect. I've learned to stay out of these until around 100 posts have been made in order for the newly-joined and others to post and for precisely the other reasons you mentioned.

And regarding Handley. Yes, his book is banned in Thailand... and yes, for good reason. It violates one of the tenets of thaivisa as well regarding the Royal Thai Family.

You and Plus seem very familiar with Handley's book, presumably because you have seen it overseas.I haven't read it and don't intend to, not least because I have been told by a very good source it has nothing new to say.

You and Plus seem very familiar with Handley's book, presumably because you have seen it overseas.I haven't read it and don't intend to, not least because I have been told by a very good source it has nothing new to say.

I have not read Handley's book out of respect, but have read his comments on the coup out of curiosity and nothing new here. Someone I always find interesting is McCargo. If you haven't already, you might find interesting his article in Dec. 2005's The Pacific Review.

There's much we don't know yet that is included in the so-called "White Paper"

Update: White paper justifies coup

Coup leaders have drafted a 35-page document explaining reasons for overthrowing Thaksin Shinawatra, a spokesperson said today. The document, which was leaked to the media, explains Mr Thaksin's alleged corruption and abuse of power. Entitled "Facts about the Reform of Thai Politics on Sep 19, 2006," the so-called white paper is aimed at defusing criticism of the coup on the national and international levels. According to Sansern Kaewkamnerd, a Council for National Security (military junta) spokesman, the document is being printed and is due to release in Thai and English at the end of the month. Col Sansern said CNS plans to distribute 21,000 copies of the document -- 20,000 copies in Thai and 1,000 in English.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=114392

I must say that I haven't read or even seen the book, only reviews, and I totally disagree with the general premise. There might be a lot of interesting information there but it looks like he tried to fit the facts into his theory, not the other way around. We have enough folks with agendas on TV already, I have near zero interest in reading yet another theory.

The book was displayed diring PAD rallies, btw. Royalists apparently admired it for the same reason it's now banned.

I must say that I haven't read or even seen the book, only reviews, and I totally disagree with the general premise. There might be a lot of interesting information there but it looks like he tried to fit the facts into his theory, not the other way around. We have enough folks with agendas on TV already, I have near zero interest in reading yet another theory.

The book was displayed diring PAD rallies, btw. Royalists apparently admired it for the same reason it's now banned.

I have read a few reviews as well, and there does indeed seem to be consensus the general premise is shaky.

I don't really understand your last para.

:D

Younghusband and his "sources" again!!!!!

Is that Tomato Sauce or HP Sauce?? :o:D:D

Yeah - and if all in this list can be proven - why do not a DEMOCRACY try to drag him to court in stead of rolling out tanks and guns in the street to elect new leaders...

Thaksin did not do everything right - bu my Good, he is the best thing that happened to Thailand for th last 200 years...

/ hj

They couldn't drag him to court because he had control of the courts. Where have you been during all this? :o

I have read a few reviews as well, and there does indeed seem to be consensus the general premise is shaky.

It may be in some points shaky and speculative, though i still have not read any critical review that factually refutes his points. The McCargo paper already mentioned does support Handley's view, and McCargo is in some trouble because of this.

Even Baker has written a review, and his main criticism was that Handley did not include the collaboration of the middle classes.

The issue is also hotly debated by Thais, and by far not all reject it.

Khun Plus, I did not promote any book in my reference to the Handley interview, banned or otherwise. The interview focuses on the recent coup and upon Taksin by an interested journalist. My post was well within the guidelines of these forums.

DRUG WAR KILLINGS

Evidence to convict Thaksin 'is strong'

Kraisak calls for ICC to be ratified so ex-PM's crimes can be exposed 'internationally and at the highest level'

Human rights activists and lawyers are confident they have strong cases to prosecute the deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawa-tra on crimes against humanity for his role behind the killing of drug suspects and alleged Muslim insurgents from 2003 to 2006.

Former senator Kraisak Chonhavan told The Nation yesterday that so far, 40 families have come forward to file complaints with the National Commission on Human Rights (NHRC) about their loved ones who have either been killed or abducted since the beginning of 2003.

As part of his populist programme, the Thaksin government began an indiscriminate campaign to get rid of drug suspects through extra-judicial killings.

From February to April 2003, the Royal Thai Police Headquarters issued the death toll on a daily basis to show off their success in eradicating what they described as drugs pushers and sellers.

The campaign continued but without much media exposure in later years under the Thaksin regime - although the number often cited was about 2,300-2,500 deaths.

However, the number was much higher if those who were killed included the second campaign that started at the end of 2003 and ended around the first quarter of 2004.

According to informed sources, the "special force" belonging to the police literally killed every drug suspect or alleged Muslim insurgent who was blacklisted.

The police adamantly deny this.

In the past few years, the NHRC has painstakingly recorded in detail the killings in the South and elsewhere of families who want assistance. "I hope more people come forward because several thousand were killed," Kraisak said.

He said that since Thai criminal law does not deal with crimes against humanity, other ways must be found to prosecute Thaksin.

He urged the interim government to ratify the International Criminal Court (ICC) immediately with a retroactive clause so that the ICC can be allowed to look into the case.

"Thaksin's crimes must be exposed internationally and at the highest level," he said.

In the 21,000 "white papers" that are to be distributed to the public and diplomatic community, one of the justifications for the coup against Thaksin was rampant violations of human rights inside the country, especially in the South. Throughout his administration, Thaksin advocated the use of force against drug suspects and insurgents.

Kraisak said there could be a separate committee formed to work exclusively to investigate the extra-judicial killings in the near future as in the cases of two anti-corruption committees.

The Ministry of Justice has been informed of these moves. Positive signals were given to human rights activist and lawyers that this was probably the best case to prosecute Thaksin for his numerous criminal activities.

- The Nation

It may be in some points shaky and speculative, though i still have not read any critical review that factually refutes his points. The McCargo paper already mentioned does support Handley's view, and McCargo is in some trouble because of this.

Even Baker has written a review, and his main criticism was that Handley did not include the collaboration of the middle classes.

The issue is also hotly debated by Thais, and by far not all reject it.

MCCargo's paper that I was referring to was pre-coup, although the information in it is a good description as to why a coup was likely. As stated earlier, I have not read Handley's book and therefore find no basis for making any comments on it.

As it relates to the coup, almost all that I have read from outside of Thailand agree that the primary reason for the coup is exaclty as "The Adminstrative Reform Group under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State" first publicly said it was on the night of the coup. The underlying reasons for their comments has not made public, but there is a fair consensus that the the reasons for the coup given by the likes of McCargo, Handley and Thongchai Winichakul are valid.

MCCargo's paper that I was referring to was pre-coup, although the information in it is a good description as to why a coup was likely. As stated earlier, I have not read Handley's book and therefore find no basis for making any comments on it.

As it relates to the coup, almost all that I have read from outside of Thailand agree that the primary reason for the coup is exaclty as "The Adminstrative Reform Group under the Democratic System with the King as the Head of State" first publicly said it was on the night of the coup. The underlying reasons for their comments has not made public, but there is a fair consensus that the the reasons for the coup given by the likes of McCargo, Handley and Thongchai Winichakul are valid.

Both the paper and the book do essentially express the same, the book a bit more elaborate, of course. The coup was a godsend for sales of the book, naturally, as it, like the paper, somewhat predicted another coup at a time when still most believed that there is not going to be another military coup in Thailand.

Recently i have had many rather high ranked members of the Thai political scene mentioning the book to me, and some of them appeared to be very much in favour. That of course scared the shit out of me, given the sensitivity of the subject. :o

I believe that this issue is far from over, and we are going to hear of this a lot more in the future.

Rather interesting was when the CDRM dropped the 'M' at the first meeting with the foreign diplomats and media at the ministry of foreign affairs, in order to avoid misunderstandings.

Royalists like the powers that the book ascribes to the monarchy while the book was banned for describing the way these powers are used.

Johnpa, you didn't personally promote the book, true, only an interview with its author, and the book is the first thing mentioned in the link you provided. It's almost like "Listen to the guy who wrote a book that is banned in Thailand".

It doesn't matter, mods seem to be taking this topic lightly today, and the interview is not banned so far.

I don't know how much it is relevant to the thread, though.

Royalists like the powers that the book ascribes to the monarchy while the book was banned for describing the way these powers are used.

Johnpa, you didn't personally promote the book, true, only an interview with its author, and the book is the first thing mentioned in the link you provided. It's almost like "Listen to the guy who wrote a book that is banned in Thailand".

It doesn't matter, mods seem to be taking this topic lightly today, and the interview is not banned so far.

I don't know how much it is relevant to the thread, though.

As a matter of fact has the book been formally banned? It's not available here but is there a Ministry of Culture directive for example? Is discussion of a banned book also banned? Its interesting that so many people are well informed about a book they claim not to have read.

I had to disagree vehemently with an acquaintance the other day who posed the question -"who is likely to have the better purchase on truth, the publishing arm of Yale University, one of the pre-eminent universities of the world or the cultural commissars of an unelected Junta".

So far no moderator intervention or guidance has been necessary... as no Forum Rules have been breached.

That's not to say we're not watching though... :o

As a matter of fact has the book been formally banned? It's not available here but is there a Ministry of Culture directive for example? Is discussion of a banned book also banned? Its interesting that so many people are well informed about a book they claim not to have read.

I had to disagree vehemently with an acquaintance the other day who posed the question -"who is likely to have the better purchase on truth, the publishing arm of Yale University, one of the pre-eminent universities of the world or the cultural commissars of an unelected Junta".

I have never claimed not to have read the book, in fact - i preordered it already months before its publication. Arrived without any problems.

It makes interesting reading, but for sure some is speculation and interpretition given the nature of the subject matter. It is hotly debated, and there are many views on it. Nevertheless, i so have not read a factual refute of his main points, neither on the equally debated McCargo paper. Unless you count Stevenson's review, which i don't, because his biography is embarrassingly bad, and his review is as weak.

I would like to read a factual and open refute though, so i could make my mind up better where the truth is about. Ideological based hyperbole does not.

Giles Ungpakorn's position on the issue is for me so far the most interesting position that is opposed to the theories of Handley, though also he has only very limited access to the palace, and depends on second hand information and deduction.

I doubt though that in the near future any real palace insider will be able to come out in the open with a purely factual account of this reign. Handley has raised some very disturbing questions that in an ideal world would demand explanation from the other side.

For the mods: I understand the sensitivity of the subject, and have tried to formulate my posts in a way i hope is acceptable. If not please delete it.

"What Thaksin had done wrong"

Summary of Council for National Security's "White Paper" detailing Thaksin's alleged wrongdoings

Why did Council for National Security overthrow the Thaksin administration?

Corruption/conflict of interests

- Changed concessions on mobile phone business as excise tax

- Created satellite business to gain promotion from Board of Investment

- Corruption at Suvarnabhumi Airport and the purchase of CTX bomb detection scanners

- Corruption in the construction of railway Airport Link

- Lack of transparency in privatisation of state enterprises

- Media interference

Abuse of power

- Appointed family, relatives, close aides to highranking positions of the state

- Used state budget without seeking approval from the House in projects to promote government popularity

- Abuse of power by negotiating with foreign countries for the interest of themselves (Exim bank loans)

- Abuse of power by instructing state agencies to investigate assets of government opponents

Infringe on ethics and moral integrity of country leader

- Sold satellite concession and television station to a foreign country

- Evaded taxes from share sale

Interference in political check system

- Interfered with the Senate which appointed independent agencies that checked the government

- Interfered with the appointment of Election Commission, Constitution Court judge and National Counter Corruption Commission and AuditorGeneral

Policy flaws that led to human rights violation

- Extrajudicial killing of drug suspects

- Policy mismanagement and abuse of power in solving violence in the south

Created rift and destroyed unity of the public and instigating confrontation

- Blocked information that checked the government and the prime minister

- Created confrontation between anti and pro government supporters.

--The Nation 2006-11-21

The following is an update of the white paper list and just a few of Thaksins " Alledged " wrong doings giving more details of the reasons why to debate.

Alledged, there,s a tongue in cheek remark for you courtesy of certain non believers. :D

Only for now though, it,s just a matter of time, the noose is tightening.

From the Nation at 16.00 today

Thu, November 23, 2006 : Last updated 16:00 pm (Thai local time)

CNS WHITE PAPER

Facts about Thailand's administrative reform on September 19, 2006

The first part of unofficial translation of the white paper issued by the Council for National Security to explain why it toppled the Thaksin government.

Introduction

After democracy was introduced in Thailand more than 70 years ago, Thai people have since learned and understood more and more about the meaning and principles of the democratic regime. Sometimes they had to learn painful costly lessons but those lessons have eventually led to real development of democracy in term of its essence, not only its form. In the past, economic and political powers in Thailand had influence on each other and those who already possessed economic power often found ways to gain political power as well. On the other hand, some who had political power sometimes set policies to economically benefit their allies without considering public benefit first. Many times, general elections merely served as a tool for those with economic power to sustain their political power by citing the votes that they won by either abusing political influence or bribing. It was like what King Rama VI once said that "One with a bigger fist has the adventage".

Distorting democratic principles and lacking good governance, politicians who won power through dishonest electoral process often caused division among various sectors and they did not care to heal the rift, thus leading to growing disunity and potential confrontation among the people. This "Divide and Rule" strategy adversely affected the country's key institutions and was seriously detrimental to the democratic regime.

For the full article please go to:-

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/23...es_30019769.php

If you think he is innocent then the moon is made of cheese.

My favourite is still being further investigated, i,m please to observe and not forgotten

" The Extra Judicial Killings " should get him and his coherts if nothing else does. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

"What Thaksin had done wrong"

Summary of Council for National Security's "White Paper" detailing Thaksin's alleged wrongdoings

Why did Council for National Security overthrow the Thaksin administration?

Corruption/conflict of interests

- Changed concessions on mobile phone business as excise tax

- Created satellite business to gain promotion from Board of Investment

- Corruption at Suvarnabhumi Airport and the purchase of CTX bomb detection scanners

- Corruption in the construction of railway Airport Link

- Lack of transparency in privatisation of state enterprises

- Media interference

Abuse of power

- Appointed family, relatives, close aides to highranking positions of the state

- Used state budget without seeking approval from the House in projects to promote government popularity

- Abuse of power by negotiating with foreign countries for the interest of themselves (Exim bank loans)

- Abuse of power by instructing state agencies to investigate assets of government opponents

Infringe on ethics and moral integrity of country leader

- Sold satellite concession and television station to a foreign country

- Evaded taxes from share sale

Interference in political check system

- Interfered with the Senate which appointed independent agencies that checked the government

- Interfered with the appointment of Election Commission, Constitution Court judge and National Counter Corruption Commission and AuditorGeneral

Policy flaws that led to human rights violation

- Extrajudicial killing of drug suspects

- Policy mismanagement and abuse of power in solving violence in the south

Created rift and destroyed unity of the public and instigating confrontation

- Blocked information that checked the government and the prime minister

- Created confrontation between anti and pro government supporters.

--The Nation 2006-11-21

Stupid action aqainst Thaksin.

Charge him in the court if he is wrong doing.

You mean other prime minister no corruption before Thanksin ?

Those whose ousted him will continue to do the same things like him in future.

Hidden agenda only knew by the coup leader.

Stupid coup leader and he think that he is great ?

Personal gain and protect himself

Just wait and see what will happen .

The first part of unofficial translation of the white paper issued by the Council for National Security to explain why it toppled the Thaksin government.

After democracy was introduced in Thailand more than 70 years ago, Thai people have since learned and understood more and more about the meaning and principles of the democratic regime. Sometimes they had to learn painful costly lessons but those lessons have eventually led to real development of democracy in term of its essence, not only its form. In the past, economic and political powers in Thailand had influence on each other and those who already possessed economic power often found ways to gain political power as well. On the other hand, some who had political power sometimes set policies to economically benefit their allies without considering public benefit first. Many times, general elections merely served as a tool for those with economic power to sustain their political power by citing the votes that they won by either abusing political influence or bribing. It was like what King Rama VI once said that "One with a bigger fist has the adventage".

Distorting democratic principles and lacking good governance, politicians who won power through dishonest electoral process often caused division among various sectors and they did not care to heal the rift, thus leading to growing disunity and potential confrontation among the people. This "Divide and Rule" strategy adversely affected the country's key institutions and was seriously detrimental to the democratic regime.

You can sure tell the Thaksin/TRT Squad is no longer running the show.

They never produced something of such articulacy, passion, and intelligence as this.