A cut above?????

Deepinthailand

On 11/08/2016 at 6:46 AM, Boycie said:

One time a stranger farang in Bangkok said good morning to me and i politely replied back, it was quickly followed by "i got robbed last night and my wallet, cards, passport etc were all taken, could you please help as i have no money?"

I told him not to worry, the local police station is only 10 minutes walk away and pointed him in the right direction :thumbsup:

Maybe the farangs you met this morning had the same happen to them in Bangkok and thinking the robbed farang is now living in KK :cheesy:

Some Thais can be just as bad. I have always noticed that Westerners seem to have no sense of community, unlike Indians or Filipinos who all seem to know each other. Westerners tend to have an "I'm alright Jack and sod the rest" approach to living in Thailand. Shame really.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, sweetrogue said:

As a thirty-year veteran of sex tourism in Thailand, I find your tone offensive; as explained above I can meet and greet with the best of them. Being a wanton libertine is no barrier to politesse.

Alright, I'll apologise to you in particular.

It sounds like you say hello only to the Thais you already know but every farang stranger you pass. If you said hello to me, I'd reply out of politeness (I'm Canadian :)) but I'd be wondering why you would say hello to someone just because we share a similar skin colour. So why do you feel a need to say hello to farangs in particular? If you pass an Indian or Arab tourist, do you offer the same friendly greeting? 

16 minutes ago, teacherpaul said:

Some Thais can be just as bad. I have always noticed that Westerners seem to have no sense of community,

You think I should share a sense of community with all white people?

Why?

Edited by MissAndry

I have seen it as well but lots of them are afraid of there thai partners .

my ex thai would not like it if I talk to a man from the west and that is because thai woman don't want us to know the truth about how the game is played her in thailand by thai women.

but yes some of them think you want to root there thai partner.

and some just think they are better then you .

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well well the  farangs have spoken or not as the case maybe. I can't really understand why the majority of you see it as normal that you ignore other people but each to there own. Me I will continue as I have all my life to greet people with a good morning. And a smile you never know one day I might get a worthwhile response. Remember not everyone wants to rob you or have an in depth conversation with you. It's called being friendly to others. So if your in KK and a farang says good morning it may well be me. 

Based on your rapidly diminishing & combative attitude during this conversation, your hearty "Good morning" rings a bit contrived & false. You asked a question, you got several answers, why do you feel compelled to debate?  You come across as having serious lack of personal  well-being or acceptance, or feeling like you have to be "right" when, in fact, there is no cause for dispute. Don't take this personally, but if you greeted me on the street & I happened to know that it was Deepinthailand who greeted me, I too would probably scurry along & try to avoid eye contact. The last thing I want with a stranger is unsolicited debate. 

1 hour ago, sweetrogue said:

One came to this thread just now hoping to greet all and sundry with a '"top o'the morning to you all", but since the esprit of the day, indeed this website, seems to be grumbly farangs complaining - mostly about Thais but, when they're unavailable, other farangs too - I see no reason to differ. I therefore wish all of you a most unpleasant day and may your beer taste like buffalo farts smell.

Thank you for that intelligent reply to the thread :lol:.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

56 minutes ago, sweetrogue said:

As a thirty-year veteran of sex tourism in Thailand, I find your tone offensive; as explained above I can meet and greet with the best of them. Being a wanton libertine is no barrier to politesse.

Sometimes it can.

As a Western female I was a touch taken aback when a genuinely good friend suggested we get together for drinks one night with his bar fine of the night...

23 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Having read the replies I can see the answer to my question is yes a cut above. If anyone said good morning to me I would reply with a good morning but hey I was brought up with that. Yes I do belive Farangs here belive they are a cut above  not just Thai but all other Farangs. 

I  just ignore the Aliens / farangs ,   they  dont belong here , not wanted , go home .asap.

However  that said , there are exceptions , i  should know . 555

18 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Correct etiquette is to not talk to people you don't know until  properly introduced by a mutual friend or family member. Have you never read Pride and Prejudice?

Just because you are lonely is no excuse to show bad manners.

And to only do it to those you feel share your racial background is despicable.

What a load of nonsense. If you are as far behind the global/societal/humanitarian curves as you appear to be, it wouldn't cost much to have a T-shirt manufactured to warn the citizenry, then perhaps out of pity we could consider providing you with your well-deserved space. Apart from that, if you opt to act like a douchebag, as is apparently your particular wont to do, you should also fully anticipate real-world consequences in the form of creative, full public dress-downs, in a variety of languages (including Thai), from any able-minded 'farang' within reach. I am really up to here with f*cking Americans, and am truly tired of having to apologize for their behavior. Why is it my European brothers and sisters have absolutely no difficulty in getting this? 

I don't like talking to people that  I don't know that just randomly start talking to me. It's not about being "above the rest" it's "I don't know who you are." You can't really expect every person you don't know on the street to be your private conversation partner. This really isn't that uncommon. It's also not a white people  thing. If you are Asian try going to Japan and see how many people want to talk to a total stranger that just starts talking to them in a big city.

If I go into a store and I am paying for something and the cashier says good morning, I'll respond in kind because it's expected that we would communicate. 

Edited by pjthefey

1 minute ago, pjthefey said:

I don't like talking to people that  I don't know that just randomly start talking to me. It's not about being "above the rest" it's "I don't know who you are." You can't really expect every person you don't know on the street to be your private conversation partner. This really isn't that uncommon. It's also not a white people  thing. If you are Asian try good night to Japan and see how many people want to talk to a total stranger that just start talking to them. 

If I go into a store and I am paying for something and the cashier says good morning, I'll respond in kind because it's expected that we would communicate. 

How do you expect to make friends if you do not talk to anyone.

6 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

What a load of nonsense. If you are as far behind the global/societal/humanitarian curves as you appear to be, it wouldn't cost much to have a T-shirt manufactured to warn the citizenry, then perhaps out of pity we could consider providing you with your well-deserved space. Apart from that, if you opt to act like a douchebag, as is apparently your particular wont to do, you should also fully anticipate real-world consequences in the form of creative, full public dress-downs, in a variety of languages (including Thai), from any able-minded 'farang' within reach. I am really up to here with f*cking Americans, and am truly tired of having to apologize for their behavior. Why is it my European brothers and sisters have absolutely no difficulty in getting this? 

The poster was being sarcastic....

3 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

Right now I meet people via mutual friends and sometimes people I start talking to on Facebook that belong to the same groups/communities as me. 

It it should also be noted that sometimes Asian people are the same way, at least in bang na. I'm standing in an elevator with them, or I see that we are both playing Pokemon GO, they clamp down and ignore me. No offense taken. I get it. Some people don't like talking to people they don't know. The OP seems to have been living under a rock if he's never experienced this.

12 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

Who wants to make friends??  Some of us are v happy without the need to make friends.

Having said this, I've been 'accosted' a few times (whilst waiting for a friend) by Westerners  that were either newbies, or just wanted to talk.

Why on earth would I not want to help them by either giving them the conversation they needed or giving the advice they needed?

Perhaps I should add that I'm v unsociable, but am always happy to talk to those that are going through difficult times if I think I can help them some way.

Edit - I've always been this way, but more so since a guy committed suicide in the area outside my house - long story :(.

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 hours ago, cms22 said:

I've been in Thailand too long (16 years) and know well from experience that too many farangs here are complete idiots or just want to talk about themselves (boring). I can't be bothered with either. And I know, as a result, I am now considered rather unsociable. But I'm now 48 years old and, guess what, I don't give a shit! So there! 

Cut above

1 hour ago, USNret said:

Based on your rapidly diminishing & combative attitude during this conversation, your hearty "Good morning" rings a bit contrived & false. You asked a question, you got several answers, why do you feel compelled to debate?  You come across as having serious lack of personal  well-being or acceptance, or feeling like you have to be "right" when, in fact, there is no cause for dispute. Don't take this personally, but if you greeted me on the street & I happened to know that it was Deepinthailand who greeted me, I too would probably scurry along & try to avoid eye contact. The last thing I want with a stranger is unsolicited debate. 

Which sort of proves my point does it not as you scurry away. Combative attitude???? So according to yourself I can ask a question get answers but not allowed to debate said answers!!!! 

35 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

I believe she's English.

Some people are naturally shy, so may not be great conversationalists at the best of times. I will definitely speak to someone if they engage me but I'm not likely to be the initiator ... although I would always return a 'hello' if someone said hi, that's just my upbringing.

I also suspect that Thailand attracts more 'lone wolf' types than most other areas, people who are not that comfortable in social situations.

I doubt that it has anything to do with people thinking they are a "cut above", something that I've come across in business life but never with expats that I've bumped into on my travels.

1 hour ago, Docno said:

It sounds like you say hello only to the Thais you already know but every farang stranger you pass. If you said hello to me, I'd reply out of politeness (I'm Canadian :)) but I'd be wondering why you would say hello to someone just because we share a similar skin colour. So why do you feel a need to say hello to farangs in particular? If you pass an Indian or Arab tourist, do you offer the same friendly greeting? 

I don't care what colour creed male female she male all human beings. All worthy of a good morning.

23 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Saying good morning is not engaging in a conversation just manners really 

Indeed it is or rather was.

In my experiance, 50-60 years ago in rural UK saying Good (whatever part of the day it was) when approaching a stranger was the norm.

The same was true in Bavaria "Gruss Got".

It wasn't the done thing in big cities though, such a greeting might well have got the same response as you posted.

However, todays world has moved on and people are more insular (IMO), and suspicious of others.

Even eye contact can be dangerous nowadays! (Who are you deleted looking at?) and this is true world wide.

A nod of the head with a smile may even be too much for many people and you seem to have found this out.

How does it go?
If you are not part of the solution,

are you part of the problem?

I find this an interesting topic.  Years ago in UK the English reserve seemed to hold, and you said good morning to those you had met.  But if I was out with the dogs and someone came the other way a good morning was pretty common.  The only thing rude was to ignore the other person.  Moving to Australia I was blown away buy everyone saying g'day.  I loved it.  The Ozzies were the best people in the world.  Then off to the USA.  here I found people thought you were going to attack them if you just spoke to someone you hadn't been introduced to.  They were far less social and by my standards a rude lot.  But in fact it is just their way.  As soon as they realised you were a Pom or Ozzie (take your pick) they were often the most friendly of all.  (Mostly NY and some LA).  Nowadays I will say g'day less often than I did as I am more in tune with the modern trend that values people possibly a little less.  But if I know someone, or am engaged in some activity that I am also involved in, I will acknowledge them even if it just a nod of the head.  I think it has paid off over the years to make a bit of an effort to acknowledge that other people exist.  Often I bump into someone and they recognise me from being out and about and saying g'day and it has helped if I need something.  I guess everyone to his own, but I would say that if you feel threatened or upset or think someone is being rude for saying hello, then you have a strange outlook on life and it is your loss.

You can not force people to respond to your overtures or people to like you. I often greet people and respond to greetings but I am from London where it is not unusual.  Perhaps your problem is lumping all white people together as farangs. It's Thai ignorance to do so. We all come from different countries and cultures and have different greeting rituals and customs. Regarding your view that foreigners may feel superior to you- that is probably a reflection of your own insecurities.

5 minutes ago, Mousehound said:

I find this an interesting topic.  Years ago in UK the English reserve seemed to hold, and you said good morning to those you had met.  But if I was out with the dogs and someone came the other way a good morning was pretty common.  The only thing rude was to ignore the other person.  Moving to Australia I was blown away buy everyone saying g'day.  I loved it.  The Ozzies were the best people in the world.  Then off to the USA.  here I found people thought you were going to attack them if you just spoke to someone you hadn't been introduced to.  They were far less social and by my standards a rude lot.  But in fact it is just their way.  As soon as they realised you were a Pom or Ozzie (take your pick) they were often the most friendly of all.  (Mostly NY and some LA).  Nowadays I will say g'day less often than I did as I am more in tune with the modern trend that values people possibly a little less.  But if I know someone, or am engaged in some activity that I am also involved in, I will acknowledge them even if it just a nod of the head.  I think it has paid off over the years to make a bit of an effort to acknowledge that other people exist.  Often I bump into someone and they recognise me from being out and about and saying g'day and it has helped if I need something.  I guess everyone to his own, but I would say that if you feel threatened or upset or think someone is being rude for saying hello, then you have a strange outlook on life and it is your loss.

What are you talking about?? Nobody has said this, unless I've missed it.

2 minutes ago, The manic said:

You can not force people to respond to your overtures or people to like you. I often greet people and respond to greetings but I am from London where it is not unusual.  Perhaps your problem is lumping all white people together as farangs. It's Thai ignorance to do so. We all come from different countries and cultures and have different greeting rituals and customs. Regarding your view that foreigners may feel superior to you- that is probably a reflection of your own insecurities.

I think the OP is a foreign expat living in Thailand, not a Thai? At least that's how I read it, and he's talking about the situation when western foreigners in Thailand bump into each other.

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong.