A cut above?????

Deepinthailand

Recently while hiking recently a few people passing said Hi - I replied. 

I thought nothing of it, there was some 'common ground' as we were hiking, the trail was fairly quiet, its not as if they were in a busy area say Hi to all and sundry... This was on the side of a mountain n the UK. 

IF in Bangkok a Westerner says Hi to me, I may not even notice or pay attention, he may be saying Hi to the person behind me, or I may simply think he / she is nuts. It doesn't really seem normal to me to say Hi to people in busy areas, Cities or Towns.

That said in quieter area's someone saying Hi is more likely to be responded with an equal response simply because its generally accepted that quieter areas are 'happier' and more 'polite'... 

Those who are suggesting that saying Hi to someone else because they are of a similar race is racist are daft and looking too hard for a racial argument - those who say Hi to others of a similar race are not doing so because of race, they are doing so because of 'common ground'.... 

All that said, I find those happy people who seem to think its ok to walk around and say Hi to everyone (even in quieter areas) a little too 'zippeddy-doo-dah' and 'whacky' for my tastes and I may find myself ignoring them... 

It all seems to depend on where I am, what I'm doing at the time and how the 'Hi' is delivered... 

Of course, if the 'Hi' is followed up with a Sales Pitch of any kind I'm happy enough to just walk off and ignore them. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I don't care what colour creed male female she male all human beings. All worthy of a good morning.

'"Mr Farangs on the other hand good morning at least 7 whilst wandering round all speaking English "

Your changing your tune now.You didn't say that in your opening remarks.

I usually keep to myself whilst in Thailand. I'll happily talk with anyone that isn't trying to sell me something / pushy. It's usually a circumstance happening to similar people that I would ever start a conversation - for example being in some shopping centre waiting for the girlfriend for what seems like an eternity shopping and then looking around to see another 5 guys (whatever race) all doing the same thing. I find situations like this amusing and may pass a comment to one of the other guys. Misery loves company. 

louse, I'm not so sure it's racism if some find themselves drawn to their own race / colour. They may feel their chances are better at communicating. It doesn't mean that they feel all others around them are less superior (the definition of racism). I've noticed that when I need to ask a stranger for help, regardless of race I will usually look for a female to ask. I have no idea why I do that. It is my belief (rightly or wrongly), that as a guy, approaching a woman out of the blue to ask them something is inappropriate, but I guess I think I'm going to get a better response.

Edited by ncc1701d

12 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Bangkok. It is a place where your average run of the mill recluse would find despicable.

How arrogant and sad.  I worked there for 10 years and loved it when I was in my 20/30s. 

Now in my 50's there are certain l things Iike. It's easy to sit on a bar stool on soi 4 slagging off fellow expats in Isarn. Have you ever been to Isarn btw?

Edited by Johnniey

5 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

How arrogant and sad. 

It was somewhat said in jest but there is a point to it. People generally go to Isaan because of their desire to not be around a lot of people. It isn't really where you would choose to live if you are a social butterfly and interaction with other foreigners was a high priority on your list. 

Edited by anotheruser

Just now, anotheruser said:

It was somewhat said in jest but there is a point to it. People generally go to Isaan because of their desire to not be around a lot of people. It isn't reall where you would choose to live if you are a social butterfly and interaction with other foreigners was a high priority on your list. 

How about escaping the pollution, traffic jams, high costs? There are very large bustling cities in Isarn like Khon Kaen for example. So many in Bangkok  wrongly think we are all living on a farm.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

If you say hullo to me because i have a white face you are a racist.

Perhaps I simply say hello to the person who walks into the line at the coffee shop counter, regardless or the colour of their face. 

Sort of like common good manners. 

Just now, Johnniey said:

How about escaping the pollution, traffic jams, high costs? There are very large bustling cities in Isarn like Khon Kaen for example. So many in Bangkok  wrongly think we are all living on a farm.

Those probably would be high on your list of priorities. I haven't put a single thought into what your unique living arrangements might be. My point about the level of social interaction stands and it is part of the compromise you make when you choose to live not on a farm in Isaan.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Those probably would be high on your list of priorities. I haven't put a single thought into what your unique living arrangements might be. My point about the level of social interaction stands and it is part of the compromise you make when you choose to live not on a farm in Isaan.

Have you ever been to Khon Kaen or Udon?

As a Yorkshireman I am used to saying hello, or morning to strangers, but not to every person I pass. It was always funny going to Wembley to watch the rugby finals and seeing the look of horror on most Londoners faces as we (rugby fans) started chatting to them. If you're in a good mood say hello, why not. It's positive energy. If you're ignored I wouldn't worry, it just means they're either a recluse, miserable, or just don't have the same culture.

I rarely say hello to other Westerners here as they look miserable, but if I was ever up at 7am I would struggle not to greet them as Thailand is so beautiful in the mornings. Oh, and for info, I greet Thais all the time, they love to stare at me so I show that I'm friendly in return.

15 minutes ago, alien365 said:

As a Yorkshireman I am used to saying hello, or morning to strangers, but not to every person I pass. It was always funny going to Wembley to watch the rugby finals and seeing the look of horror on most Londoners faces as we (rugby fans) started chatting to them. If you're in a good mood say hello, why not. It's positive energy. If you're ignored I wouldn't worry, it just means they're either a recluse, miserable, or just don't have the same culture.

I rarely say hello to other Westerners here as they look miserable, but if I was ever up at 7am I would struggle not to greet them as Thailand is so beautiful in the mornings. Oh, and for info, I greet Thais all the time, they love to stare at me so I show that I'm friendly in return.

Here we have one of the causes of the phenomenon.  No offence intended as we've all been there mate.

Many when new here like to be loud, friendly and stand out. The longer we stay we prefer to integrate where possible. Some of us even turn Thai in certain ways. Hell, I've lived here most of my life so why not. Part of the "issue" is that we've all been here different lengths of time.

I was in Aberdeen recently and went up to a Thai woman and asked where she was from. She said, "Aberdeen" and ran away. I overheard her speaking on her phone in Thai, saying it was cold and she was scared of farang! 

Edited by Johnniey

9 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Are you a wannabe Mod? I thought living in Bangkok, you'd be a bit flexible.

No I was talking about foreigners in Isaan and you spouted off about how friendly the locals are. For clarification I added the tidbit in about how I thought the thread was about foreigners and not locals.  

Anyway you aren't worth the time to continue the discussion. You can't even comprehend basic ideas. Thankfully you and your ilk are up in a bustling metropolis like KK.

Just now, anotheruser said:

No I was talking about foreigners in Isaan and you spouted off about how friendly the locals are. For clarification I added the tidbit in about how I thought the thread was about foreigners and not locals.  

Anyway you aren't worth the time to continue the discussion. You can't even comprehend basic ideas. Thankfully you and your ilk are up in a bustling metropolis like KK.

Dude, you're all wound up an aggressive. Maybe you should think about moving to a less stressful place.

Unless I had any suspicion you might be touting something or about to beg, I personally would probably return your greeting along with a smile.  But you're way off base with this rant.  On the one hand you're holding yourself out as a selfless extender of simple courtesy, and then on the other hand insisting that your act of "pure courtesy" creates an obligation on the part of perfect strangers, and then lay a racist wrap on them for not accepting your imposition.  If you can't be truly courteous about it, you should probably keep your loaded "greetings" to yourself.

On 11 augustus 2016 at 10:36 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Saying good morning is not engaging in a conversation just manners really 

Your manners maybe. But why should I say good morning to every Falang I pass in a shopping mall. Get a life. Possibly living too long in the isolated country side with nearest supermarket miles away. My greetings to strangers are just to the one's need to get in contact with, taxi driver, waitress, receptionist, bartender etc.

On many occasions (50/50) as I'm here in the USA at work where there are approx. 12,000 people in the buildings/DHS campus that when walking by people they either look down, up in the sky, or in the opposite direction and don't say "hi".  This comes from both people whom I know and don't know.  I take it as those people whom are introverted versus extroverted, and nothing more (it's not personnel).

I usually try to get in their face and say "hi", of which they are startled and return the gesture.

So generally I would expect the same in LOS - maybe more from farang vs Thai.

I hear from some farang that they just want to be left alone and to be able to do their own thing.  Thai people, in general. are raised to be polite.  I also think, in general, a lot of Thai's are curious of falang/falang ways.  

On 8/11/2016 at 1:59 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Having read the replies I can see the answer to my question is yes a cut above. If anyone said good morning to me I would reply with a good morning but hey I was brought up with that. Yes I do belive Farangs here belive they are a cut above  not just Thai but all other Farangs. 

I used to get the same thing in NakhonSawan,  very impolite, it costs nothing to say 'good morning' or "hello", was told by a German, that it was sort of quite a common thing there.