A cut above?????

Deepinthailand

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Having read the replies I can see the answer to my question is yes a cut above. If anyone said good morning to me I would reply with a good morning but hey I was brought up with that. Yes I do belive Farangs here belive they are a cut above  not just Thai but all other Farangs. 

You need to understand that every time you use that "cut above" meme it sounds as though you are the one who feels he is above the rest of us. You alone were raised "right"; you have been enlightened with "the correct" way of behaving towards strangers; if the rest of us only saw as clearly as you do, the world would be a much happier place & world peace would no doubt ensue.  You come across as an insufferable prick which alas is far too prevalent among expats in Thailand. This is exactly why I tend to avoid such casual encounters.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farangs, especially those from US/UK/AUS  seem to come from cultures that place an emphasis on dominance, ego and self-interest above all else.  

That is why so many can't grasp the importance of 'face' in Asian cultures because they often have little regard for others and live only for themselves.

Even the dining habits of farang using fork/knife speaks to being guarded and threatening to others as if protecting themselves and their food.

Many Asians often wonder why farang get offended and create drama so easily.  As evidenced by the OP, it seems a lot has to do with their own inflated sense of self-importance.

21 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I don't care what colour creed male female she male all human beings. All worthy of a good morning.

Well, you did say in your original statement: " Anyway seen lots of people we know thai wise all returned our good morning greetings in a polite and happy manner. " I can only take this to mean you were exclusively greeting Thais you already know along with any other lucky farang who crossed your path that day (since you didn't refer to 'farangs you know'). So I continue to wonder whether there's a difference of behaviour or expectations toward Thai vis farang. Or perhaps a little trolling going on? I also wonder how your voicebox survives when you're in busy shopping area on a weekend... must be a constant stream of 'good mornings'.

24 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Farangs, especially those from US/UK/AUS  seem to come from cultures that place an emphasis on dominance, ego and self-interest above all else.  

That is why so many can't grasp the importance of 'face' in Asian cultures because they often have little regard for others and live only for themselves.

Even the dining habits of farang using fork/knife speaks to being guarded and threatening to others as if protecting themselves and their food.

Many Asians often wonder why farang get offended and create drama so easily.  As evidenced by the OP, it seems a lot has to do with their own inflated sense of self-importance.

Quite right,  Oh !  l'll have the steak.  :coffee1:

52 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Yes I often feel threatened when I eat. That is why I have a custom knife and fork set designed for defensive eating.

You wouldn't want to be caught out with a silly old spoon when when your neighbour decides he's gonna take your leg.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

As an American, if someone I did not know spoke to me, I'd just pull out my sidearm and shoot them

Thank you Donald  T.

Irrespective of race , class  colour  or creed .

What a  man  .:clap2:

23 hours ago, Songlaw said:

What a load of nonsense. If you are as far behind the global/societal/humanitarian curves as you appear to be, it wouldn't cost much to have a T-shirt manufactured to warn the citizenry, then perhaps out of pity we could consider providing you with your well-deserved space. Apart from that, if you opt to act like a douchebag, as is apparently your particular wont to do, you should also fully anticipate real-world consequences in the form of creative, full public dress-downs, in a variety of languages (including Thai), from any able-minded 'farang' within reach. I am really up to here with f*cking Americans, and am truly tired of having to apologize for their behavior. Why is it my European brothers and sisters have absolutely no difficulty in getting this? 

It seems you are trying to prove MissAndy's point aren't you.?

21 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Have you ever been to Khon Kaen or Udon?

I was at both places a month or two back. Udon, almost no foreigners in town, didn't see a single one outside the airport. Khon Khen very similar, but seemed to have a bit less of the 'rural' feeling of Udon.

Crowds of Thai people in both places.

Edited by MissAndry

13 hours ago, elliss said:

Thank you Donald  T.

Irrespective of race , class  colour  or creed .

What a  man  .:clap2:

Of course, I'm not a bigot; despise you all

14 hours ago, nemrut said:

Well, maybe that is because the rest of you could hardly justify demonstrating dominance, ego, or self-interest--you simply have no reason to be proud

On 8/11/2016 at 7:10 PM, MissAndry said:

Correct etiquette is to not talk to people you don't know until  properly introduced by a mutual friend or family member. Have you never read Pride and Prejudice?

Just because you are lonely is no excuse to show bad manners.

And to only do it to those you feel share your racial background is despicable.

According to who?

On 8/11/2016 at 9:30 PM, Kwasaki said:

I would just like to comment as a Englishman that my Thai wife understands me but many farangies from Europe,  and others countries around the world etc. etc and also Thai people don't understand the English reserve,  it's nothing to do with a cut above it's just my way.  :)

Wots a fanrangie init?

20 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Yes I often feel threatened when I eat. That is why I have a custom knife and fork set designed for defensive eating.

You wouldn't want to be caught out with a silly old spoon when when your neighbour decides he's gonna take your leg.

Although I've known a couple of Westerners who would consider stabbing my hand with their fork if I took - for example, a chip, from their plate :lol:.

Walking around a shopping mall and a farang guy, a total stranger walking along saying 'hello and good morning' to every person he passes by... he is getting near to me... I think this guy must have some kind of mental problem or be just another crazy farang, (maybe one of the bible squad) so I try to pass by him without being noticed. 

But he homes in on me just to get in my face and say his 'hello good morning' with a scary false smile on his face.

I would not smile and reply... and I don't think most people would, as his behaviour is strange and unnerving and out of place.

23 hours ago, nemrut said:

There may be a grain of truth in what you say re some western cultures' focus on individualism, self-esteem, and extroversion, but you overstate your case.

Yes, some of us may not understand the notion of 'face' so much, but there are places like the southern US, the Balkans and southern Europe where the notion of personal honour--the root of a great deal of violence--is much the same thing (though it extends to family/clan as well). Face is not about "regard for others". It's about perceptions of status with others and feelings of shame/humiliation. And as we know from following the news, loss of face can lead to bewildering acts of violence... not all sunshine and roses as you depict. 

"Many Asians often wonder why farang get offended and create drama so easily"

Then perhaps you can explain to farangs why, SE Asia, young men who are strangers to each other sometimes get into deadly fights over 'staring incidents'. And there are many other similar cases where 'mild offence' from one person here leads to extreme violence from the other...  You may want to rethink your claim.

7 hours ago, Mudcrab said:

I know what a <deleted> is...but a farangie,,,really?

Sorry Jesus I thought it would be obvious to be read as just joke wind up post, farangie is the humorous way l refer to the Thai reference to a ' Farang ' .

On 13/08/2016 at 7:47 AM, USNret said:

You need to understand that every time you use that "cut above" meme it sounds as though you are the one who feels he is above the rest of us. You alone were raised "right"; you have been enlightened with "the correct" way of behaving towards strangers; if the rest of us only saw as clearly as you do, the world would be a much happier place & world peace would no doubt ensue.  You come across as an insufferable prick which alas is far too prevalent among expats in Thailand. This is exactly why I tend to avoid such casual encounters.

Well you are insecure aren't you. Surley calling someone a pick must make you feel better. I suspect it may have also given you a few days off as well

16 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well you are insecure aren't you. Surley calling someone a pick must make you feel better. I suspect it may have also given you a few days off as well

So you live out in the sticks and on your monthly excursions to a big city you bother other white-skinned foreigners with your inane chitchat.

No wonder they're not interested. Yet you still consider yourself "a cut above" and more cultured than those farangs who wisely avoid you.

9 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

So you live out in the sticks and on your monthly excursions to a big city you bother other white-skinned foreigners with your inane chitchat.

No wonder they're not interested. Yet you still consider yourself "a cut above" and more cultured than those farangs who wisely avoid you.

If you could have been bothered to read my post. (I know it's hard) you would see I say it to all colors creeds and even to you lonely old men??. You would also see I do not feel a cut above and please feel free to ignore me if you can't be bothered to be social. Must be a very sad Lonley life I do feel for you honestly! !!! NOT????

Edited by Deepinthailand

44 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

If you could have been bothered to read my post. (I know it's hard) you would see I say it to all colors creeds and even to you lonely old men??. You would also see I do not feel a cut above and please feel free to ignore me if you can't be bothered to be social. Must be a very sad Lonley life I do feel for you honestly! !!! NOT????

No need to get so uppity. I didn't mean to offend your vanity.

You sound new to Thailand. So practise some jai yen, grow a thicker skin, take better care of your mental health, and learn not to disturb other foreigners on their shopping trips.

:wai2:

1 hour ago, tubby johnson said:

No need to get so uppity. I didn't mean to offend your vanity.

You sound new to Thailand. So practise some jai yen, grow a thicker skin, take better care of your mental health, and learn not to disturb other foreigners on their shopping trips.

:wai2:

Never uppity as you call it I was replying to your vain post is all. New Yeh ok whatever you say. As for my greetings to other shoppers I will continue as I have done all my adult life. So trot on darling and have a nice grumpy life xx