TM30 and 2 homes

I can't find where this has been discussed before - apologies....

My Canadian wife and I live in Chiang Mai and have filled out and submitted the form informing cnx immigration as to my residence (I believe that is a TM30 form?).

We have built a new home, on leased land, in Samui and will be moving in a few weeks while KEEPNG the Chiang Mai residence.

We will bounce back and forth quite a bit I think.

The home in Samui is brand new. I will have a Blue Book for the house. I will not have any utility bills or anything else to prove residence for a while.

What am I supposed to do once we get to the new place in Samui?

Go to immigration within 24 hours and do a new TM30? Do I have enough supporting documentation with just a Blue Book?

And every time I flip between Chiang Mai and Samui?

Help from anyone with experience or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Edited by kilt

9 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Unless the law has changed, as a non Thai, I am pretty certain the electricity Bill can never be in your name?

That is not correct. With proof of ownership or possession anybody can get utility service.

• Like 2

To the OP.

If you have a blue book your name will not be in it. You will likely need proof of ownership along with it. Getting a yellow house book based upon the blue book can resolve many issues.

You will have to deiced which of the tow homes will be your primary residence for immigration purposes. If you decide on your new home you will need to formally change your residence to Samui by submitting a TM28 change of address form along with any supporting documentation immigration there may require.

Unless you change to Samui you will still need to do your 90 day reports to Chiang Mai and do your extensions of stay  there.

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. With proof of ownership or possession anybody can get utility service.

Twice I have had it from the electric company that the bill cannot be in a non Thai name. I never said you couldn't get the service.

6 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Twice I have had it from the electric company that the bill cannot be in a non Thai name. I never said you couldn't get the service.

The way you wrote your post it would seem to imply that he could not get electric service.

I suspect what they meant was that the accpimt could not be setup using your name in English. I am certain it could be done with a translation of your name to Thai. 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The way you wrote your post it would seem to imply that he could not get electric service.

I suspect what they meant was that the accpimt could not be setup using your name in English. I am certain it could be done with a translation of your name to Thai. 

It's illegal for a non Thai to own electricity in Thailand. I'm sure many others will tell you the same.

Changing your name by translation to Thai wouldn't work.

Ask your wife to ask the electricity company. I'm sure your lawyer and land office will confirm the same.

I will probably keep my primary residence as Chiang Mai. I have a yellow book for the Chiang Mai residence. I also have the electricity billed to me, in my name and deducted from my account automatically. I have done this for years, even before I had the yellow book.

So we know I will need to do my 90 day reports and extensions in Chiang Mai (cnx immigration has it's own challenges but they don't yet require a full medical checkup for every extension as in Samui) but the question remains... do I have to report to Samui immigration and file a TM30 when I arrive in Samui and then do it again in cnx when I return to Chiang Mai?

If it makes any difference, I also have a pink Thai ID card...

Thank you for any first hand info...

Edited by kilt

7 minutes ago, kilt said:

I will probably keep my primary residence as Chiang Mai. I have a yellow book for the Chiang Mai residence. I also have the electricity billed to me, in my name and deducted from my account automatically. I have done this for years, even before I had the yellow book.

So we know I will need to do my 90 day reports and extensions in Chiang Mai (cnx immigration has it's own challenges but they don't yet require a full medical checkup for every extension as in Samui) but the question remains... do I have to report to Samui immigration and file a TM30 when I arrive in Samui and then do it again in cnx when I return to Chiang Mai?

Unless you need to do something at Samui immigration I can see no problem with not doing a TM30 there. I don't recall any reports of immigration there going house to house looking for unregistered foreigners.

3 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

You can get electricity and telephone services in Thailand if you have the Yellow book that Ubonjoe referred to. The book has your name translated into Thai script and it gives you an ID number in the same format as a Thai ID, only different numbering system. This is accepted by PEA and TOT.

Lots of people on TV not understand how good it is to have a yellow book .

The op can't be in the blue book or have a blue , that book is for Thais and all that book say is your address it dose not say you own the home .

4 hours ago, kilt said:

Having a Yellow House Book issued at Samui is often more complicated than reported from other provinces (talk from experience), so if I was you, I would keep the CNX-book. However, I don't know if it's more easy when just transferring from one Yellow House Book to another.

Samui Immigration probably don't bother with TM30 registration – never heard about anybody using it here for private homes – in some ways, there's "long way" from Samui to Bangkok..

Edited by khunPer

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2016 at 6:57 AM, Ronuk said:

Unless the law has changed, as a non Thai, I am pretty certain the electricity Bill can never be in your name?

The electricity bill is under my name, as I am the owner of our house; only the land is owned by the lovely Thai wife !  And this for the last 14 years...  The previous 10 years, house and land were under the Thai spouse name, as well as all bills attached...

1 hour ago, bark said:

I have three homes. And I use different address each time. They never look at the previous 90 day report.

So it doesn't matter.

I love comments like this ..........

It doesnt matter ---- until it DOES matter -----and by then it usually becomes a MAJOR matter.

21 minutes ago, novo58 said:

I love comments like this ..........

It doesnt matter ---- until it DOES matter -----and by then it usually becomes a MAJOR matter.

OK, I will say differently.

It doesn't matter what address I use; as I live at all three homes during the 90 day reporting period.

House in Bangkok, for business, House in Phuket for the Beach and sea. House in Udon for my girl friend.

Doesn't matter. because every month you can write a different address. That's why they ask the question.

Does not Matter.