Happy Hour. Recommendations please?

Tib6005

Hello all,

Once again, I've done a search on the forum to no avail.  

Please can you recommend some decent bars/restaurants in town offering "Happy Hour?"   I've not needed to look for this until now, but an impending visit by a friend who enjoys a beer or two, has made me think about it.  I had a look around this morning when I went into town and saw one restaurant on Thapae Road with a "Happy Hour" sign, but it would be good to have more options.

Thank you so much,

Imelda

Send a PM to the guy who started this thread:  

He's made it his life's mission to know all the places in town that offer specials on beer.

If you want something a little classier, Le Meridien has a buy 1 get 1 free promotion at their lobby bar from 6 pm to 8 pm on mixed drinks.

2 hours ago, stament said:

When you say happy hour is there a particular time of the day you are thinking of targetting or do you just want to know where you can get cheap booze period, as happy hour times can vary quite a bit.

Hello there.  Just pre-dinner drinks, really. From 6:30-8pm, or thereabouts.

Thank you,

Imelda

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Send a PM to the guy who started this thread:  

He's made it his life's mission to know all the places in town that offer specials on beer.

If you want something a little classier, Le Meridien has a buy 1 get 1 free promotion at their lobby bar from 6 pm to 8 pm on mixed drinks.

Thank you, Nancy.  Le Meridien will be a nice weekend option.

Imelda

For those, who didn't grow up, relying on high sin taxes to discourage alcohol consumption, liquor/drink prices are high here.  Tell your friend to get a liter at duty free, if possible.  There are some good beer promos, mostly around Nimman or Santitham.  It can be a real chore to get a cold one, Chang seems to be overly popular (and overly disgusting), but if you find the right place; it can be lots of fun.  Most get going around 19:30.  There is a FB group dedicated to HH, but after 2 months of nothing; I gave up. My 80 yo mom could name more HH, and doesn't drink.  One or two places on LK, reduce prices early, but expect to be systematically approached by girls looking for overpriced "lady drinks."

KKK, Nancy said you'd be the person "in the know":clap2:

I don't like beer, so I have no idea what's good, bad, or positively vile.  

My friend will, I'm sure be happy to sample.....in the interests of finding the best quality, of course......:whistling:

Nimman sounds like a plan, as we'll be eating there some of the time.

Thank you so much,

Imelda

I take the middle road on beers, which is Singha or Tiger...perfectly acceptable if served properly.  Tiger and Heineken are brewed and bottled near BKK; so there aren't any import duties on them.  Also, consider the dichotomy of going out to meet other Westerners, and going out drinking.  The Westerners often gather at places owned by Western acquaintances, complete with Western prices, so that may really not be a good place for drinks and two people could spend 3000 thb on drinks and be more sober than when they arrived (can substitute "farang" for "Western").  OTOH, you may find a place with a great ambiance, showing EPL, with beer prices cheaper than 7-11, yet, you are the only farang in the place.  Many, still prefer the former, personally, I like the latter.  I've known a few with very deep pockets to declare some of the popular farang places as "rip-off tourist' trap BS."  Up to you.

4 minutes ago, true blue said:

daily on soi 11 nimman use to have 4 big ones for 199 before 8oclock don't no if its still going Its cheap there anyway .few bars in the harbor knocking out chang large at 60bht all night.

Last night was only Chang/Leo...the Tiger/Heineken has vanished, and they may not have even had Singha.  I bailed.  Can be better during the week.  At that point, you might be better off at Club Cafe on Soi 7, now Club ????...2 blocks north of Beer Republic.

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Last night was only Chang/Leo...the Tiger/Heineken has vanished, and they may not have even had Singha.  I bailed.  Can be better during the week.  At that point, you might be better off at Club Cafe on Soi 7, now Club ????...2 blocks north of Beer Republic.

The former Club Cafe is now Mirror Cafe.  It is on the corner of soi 7 and the north-south street between Nimmanhamin and Siri Mangkalanjarn.  A couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday they had a promotion of three large Changs for 99 baht (if I heard the man correctly, I wasn't interested).  I don't know if that is still on.  It's seems less appealing to Thais and more to tourists now than when it was Club Cafe.  I'm not sure about the food there.  A few pretties but not many.

I've kind of given up on beer promotions, now I just look for places with good food, Tiger beer and pretties.  Sometimes I settle for two out of three.  Nimmanhamin isn't what it used to be now that Blar Blar, Neighborhood and others have closed.  Young Thais now seem to prefer the Harbor between Nimmanhamin and Canal road.  I was there a few weeks ago, it was interesting but no place for old men.

yes, Mirror is pushing cheap beers, more like Dayli, but that seems to be the business model that works around there, and the whole thing has been on the decline.  Decent places to watch the games.  I went out last night, just to get out, and I would give the whole thing a "D."  Crowds do seem very young.  I think more ladies could be found with an un-needed tourist map and a walk around the Night Bazaar area.  When you think about it, bar crawling around Nimman  is kind of appalling, for the press it gets.  Bags of garbage, rats, no regard for pedestrians via sidewalks or driver courtesy, parking kind of sucks, and don't forget lights out at 24:00.  Makes the air con condo with good frig that much more appealing...smoking permitted, of course.