How many western man live in thailand and are happy

georgemandm

3 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

To finish off on this post I just ask how many of you can live in thailand and are happy that was it .

and I am happy for you if you like living in thailand , not here to  bash Thais or put thailand down .

but some of you out took on your self to have a go at me for asking.

and to the know all soibiker this one is for you ok.

I WAS IN MY THAI LADYS VILLAGE TO DAY AND SHE WAS  visiting mum and I ask her why do you think western men come to thailand and her reply was for thai 

lady so that is coming from a thai not me .

Based on her experiences, that's probably what she's come to assume. After all, its likely that the western men she's met did come here for that reason.

Nobody is denying that some western men come here for the women. But it's wrong to claim that they all do. 

I'm not sure why you'd think she was an authority on the the subject, though. Exactly how many western men has she met?

Anyway, to answer your question - I live in Thailand, and I'm very happy here. 

Edited by SoiBiker

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Based on her experiences, that's probably what she's come to assume. After all, its likely that the western men she's met did come here for that reason.

Nobody is denying that some western men come here for the women. But it's wrong to claim that they all do. 

I'm not sure why you'd think she was an authority on the the subject, though. Exactly how many western men has she met?

Anyway, to answer your question - I live in Thailand, and I'm very happy here. 

Ok good your happy and I am happy for you , she dose not meet western man ok it is what she see with her own eyes and her friends tell her  and she is not from a bar if you are thinking that ok , I don't like bar woman at all .

i just ask her and what she tells me that most man come to thailand for thai woman .

i never ever said all western man come here for thai lady's ok but most do .

some come to work some come with there wife .

she is thai and she would know more about thailand then you and me put together, that were she gets authority on the  subject .

27 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

But I'm a western man - so by the same logic I know more about western men than she does. Unless she was a bar girl, I've likely met a lot more of them than she has. Plenty of them didn't come here for the women.

Plenty, sure. But you're kidding yourself if you think the majority didnt

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Maybe. Maybe not. But it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as some here think.

What percent of Western people moving to Thailand are single men?  Of those single men what percent came for a partner?

We need to establish a number or percent or debate becomes a WW contest.  

On Thai Visa what percent are failed expats living in the West?

On Thai Visa what percent are dream expats?

On Thai Visa what percent are Western couples?  2?

Based on my experience less than one percent of Thai expats are living with a Western woman.  So his opinion on happiness would be next to useless as a generalization.   10% of the guys I know are certifiable nuts.  50% alcoholics.  20% senile.  10% think they are women or another species and 9% seem happy.   

15 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

We don't get many western couples on this forum, it's true. This thread alone should give you some idea why.

Many of the younger crowd are here to use as a base for travelling and exploring south east Asia, some of whom earn money online or run blogs, etc. They might hook up with some local girls but it is not the sole reason. In places like Pattaya I think you have more who are here specifically for the women, and they tend to be older guys. If you like it here, why not, better than being miserable in your home country. There are some retired couples, or young couples travelling together, but not many.

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Many of the younger crowd are here to use as a base for travelling and exploring south east Asia, some of whom earn money online or run blogs, etc. They might hook up with some local girls but it is not the sole reason. In places like Pattaya I think you have more who are here specifically for the women, and they tend to be older guys. If you like it here, why not, better than being miserable in your home country. There are some retired couples, or young couples travelling together, but not many.

Many of the younger crowd are women too, so they're generally not here for the local girls. There are loads of young couples travelling together - just go to any (non sex-related) tourist area and you'll see them all over the place. 

Plenty of younger expats come here to work real jobs, too, not just the cliche of the 'digital nomad'.

This forum presents such a limited, weird view of the expat world, I sometimes wonder if I live in the same country as the rest of you!

2 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Many of the younger crowd are women too, so they're generally not here for the local girls. There are loads of young couples travelling together - just go to any (non sex-related) tourist area and you'll see them all over the place. 

Plenty of younger expats come here to work real jobs, too, not just the cliche of the 'digital nomad'.

This forum presents such a limited, weird view of the expat world, I sometimes wonder if I live in the same country as the rest of you!

Was I expressing a weird view? Given that I've been all over Thailand the last few years I don't think so. I am that cliche.

36 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I'd say at least fifty percent of the guys i know here have a western partner.

Clearly we can't tell much from one person's experience. But our differing findings suggest that guys come here for more than just one reason. 

Girl partner or guy partner?  I can't think of any profession that brings partners to Thailand .  Oil and Gas workers don't and pilots don't and military don't.  I'm at a loss.  Help me out.  What job moves your partner?

7 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Speaking of weird I assume  you mean smelly backpackers/tourists.  I hardly think that is relevant to Western men being happy in Thailand.  Isn't the forum mostly old white guys? (more than 50%)

Edited by Scotwight

4 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Girl partner or guy partner?  I can't think of any profession that brings partners to Thailand .  Oil and Gas workers don't and pilots don't and military don't.  I'm at a loss.  Help me out.  What job moves your partner?

Mostly female, a few male. Gay people come here too, you know. A lot of the people I know here are teachers, but I'm not sure what that has to do with much. Some of them do other jobs, too. 

Speaking of weird I assume  you mean smelly backpackers/tourists.  I hardly think that is relevant to Western men being happy in Thailand.  Isn't the forum mostly old white guys? (more than 50%)

No, I don't mean 'smelly backpackers'. I mean normal people.

The forum does seem to be mostly either old white guys, yes - many of whom seem to get extremely confused when trying to comprehend the fact that people of other ages, colours, genders and sexual persuasions come to Thailand, too.

16 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Mostly female, a few male. Gay people come here too, you know. A lot of the people I know here are teachers, but I'm not sure what that has to do with much. Some of them do other jobs, too. 

The topic is about Western males being happy.  Western men with Western partners are a very small percentage of Western men who live here.  (not tourists)  There are two major demographics; single Western men and Western men with Thai partners.  Which group is happiest?  Since Thai Visa is the only sample available it has to be the only sample considered.  How many posters have Western partners?  You and that lady from CM? 

Edited by Scotwight

Just now, Scotwight said:

The topic is about Western males being happy.  Western men alone and Western men with Western partners are a very small percentage of Western men who live here.  (not tourists)  There are two major demographics; single Western men and Western men with Thai partners.  Which group is happiest?  Since Thai Visa is the only sample available it has to be the only sample considered.  How many posters have Western partners?  You and that lady from CM? 

You're assuming that they're a very small group, because you don't know any.

I, however, know quite a few. I'd suggest that they're a larger group than you think. There is more to expat life here than is reflected on the pages of this forum, or the discussions in certain bars. 

37 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I have known many white-collar professionals over the years who were here with their families, not just wives.

13 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

You're assuming that they're a very small group, because you don't know any.

I, however, know quite a few. I'd suggest that they're a larger group than you think. There is more to expat life here than is reflected on the pages of this forum, or the discussions in certain bars. 

This is Thai Visa.  Like it or not it is the only game in town.  Your opinion is biased and shared by a very small group of people (3 or 4).

Thai Visa is the largest expat forum in Thailand so it is all we have to search.  If there are more than 2 or 3 couples with a Western Partner let them come out and post.  As far as I've seen 99% of the posters on Thai Visa are single or have a Thai or Asian partner.  We don't have another credible source to search.  Sorry. 

6 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I have known many white-collar professionals over the years who were here with their families, not just wives.

Yes, many of the people I know here brought their families with them - or started families here. 

4 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Ask you too.  Thai Visa is the sample.  How many people posting on Thai Visa have Western partners?

Who you know outside of Thai Visa is interesting but not verifiable so of no practical value.  Unless you know a way of determining how many couples with Western partners live in Thailand?

This is Thai Visa.  Like it or not it is the only game in town.  Your opinion is biased and shared by a very small group of people (3 or 4).

Thai Visa is the largest expat forum in Thailand so it is all we have to search.  If there are more than 2 or 3 couples with a Western Partner let them come out and post.  As far as I've seen 99% of the posters on Thai Visa are single or have a Thai or Asian partner.  We don't have another credible source to search.  Sorry. 

Nope. I know dozens of Westerners here who don't have a Thai wife.

Is it really so hard to comprehend that not everyone here is like you?

This forum has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a place for sexpats and/or miserable pensioners, so most of the rest of the expat world tends to avoid it - it's pretty much a laughing stock. Given that I've been called all kinds of things and accused of being  a fantasist just for having a farang wife or preferring not to use the services of Thai sex workers, I can't say I blame them for going elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Ask you too.  Thai Visa is the sample.  How many people posting on Thai Visa have Western partners?

Who you know outside of Thai Visa is interesting but not verifiable so of no practical value.  Unless you know a way of determining how many couples with Western partners live in Thailand?

I would have to exclude 99% of the people I know if I had to exclude everyone I know who is not posting on ThaiVisa.  You live in your world and make up your own rules but count me out.

Just now, villagefarang said:

I would have to exclude 99% of the people I know if I had to exclude everyone I know who is not posting on ThaiVisa.  You live in your world and make up your own rules but count me out.

It's remarkable, isn't it?

Some people seem to come here, inhabit a really narrow quarter of the expat world, and think that is all there is to the place. Fair enough, live how you choose, but its odd to lack the observation or imagination required to understand that others choose to live differently.

21 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Nope. I know dozens of Westerners here who don't have a Thai wife.

Is it really so hard to comprehend that not everyone here is like you?

This forum has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a place for sexpats and/or miserable pensioners, so most of the rest of the expat world tends to avoid it - it's pretty much a laughing stock. Given that I've been called all kinds of things and accused of being  a fantasist just for having a farang wife or preferring not to use the services of Thai sex workers, I can't say I blame them for going elsewhere. 

Little thin skinned are we ??  You seriously just said :

Ouote : This forum has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a place for sexpats and/or miserable pensioners, so most of the rest of the expat world tends to avoid it - it's pretty much a laughing stock.

I suggest you look at the many categories offered ...ladies in Thailand, Education, Thailand news,  Diving, Visa advice etc etc etc...you can see them all...and EVERYONE comes under your opinion of this forum ?? 

Just stick with getting  abuse in the 'pub' threads ...It's the pub Mate .... I think you got baited on this one .. Huh!!

Edited by Testacall

I'm just reporting the reputation the forum has in the wider expat world. I'm well aware that there is more to the forum than this reputation might suggest - which is why its a shame that many avoid the place because of their perception of it - and the reception they're likely to receive here. 

The largest forum for Thai expats ought to be a place for all expats to use. Sadly, that's not really the case right now. 

30 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

This forum has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a place for sexpats and/or miserable pensioners, so most of the rest of the expat world tends to avoid it - it's pretty much a laughing stock. 

Or they dont admit to using the forum....seems to be a lot of guests online at any one time..i think a lot read the news section but offer no comments